• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Deus Ex: Human Revolution |OT| I never asked for this... It gave me lemon-lime

Derrick01

Banned
Salaadin said:
DXHR still needs to take a few more hints from MGS to make me love it as much as a stealth game. A capable melee combat system and some form of CQC or the ability to grapple an enemy and drag him to cover BEFORE knocking him out would be real nice. Wall tap and more throwable items/distractions would be incing on the cake.

It definitely helped my urge for MGS style stealth though. Its a very, very good first effort.

I do wish we had more options for hiding bodies than just dragging them somewhere secluded. I can't be the only one who wanted to hide people in all those lockers and trash cans

Wallach

subversus said:
what is it?

Unreal's music format. Basically a container but it could only hold certain audio file types, mostly MID/MIDI stuff. Synth stuff. Good because you could put multiple files into a UMX and use variables to swap between them, which both Unreal and Deus Ex used all the time to have the audio match the context of the action.

Began a second playthrough on 'Give me Deus Ex' difficulty. Is it me, or is the AI a bit more responsive on the harder difficulty? They seem to be more sensitive to noise, and it seems like they'll also spot me quicker if I'm diving between cover or peeking out of cover.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
Derrick01 said:
I do wish we had more options for hiding bodies than just dragging them somewhere secluded. I can't be the only one who wanted to hide people in all those lockers and trash cans

lockers had shelves so you had to dismember people before putting in.

MrCompletely said:
Began a second playthrough on 'Give me Deus Ex' difficulty. Is it me, or is the AI a bit more responsive on the harder difficulty? They seem to be more sensitive to noise, and it seems like they'll also spot me quicker if I'm diving between cover or peeking out of cover.
It felt the same to me. Battery cells seem to recharge more slowly, though.

Rufus

Spirit of Jazz said:
I did somehow get screwed out of my no-alarms run though, for the life of me I can't figure how I set any alarms off.
Could be that someone found an unconscious guard. I had that happen in the
Picus building
, a little further on I saw red lights flashing and the cameras were on full alert already. Had to load an earlier save and race back to hide the body better.

I traded this in today towards Dead Island.

I liked the open ended concept of the game, but I'm not really a stealth fan and the shooting mechanics are just not up to snuff with pretty much any other first person perspective game on the market. Add in mostly average visuals, animation and voice acting and I just couldn't bring myself to finish it. It's really weird, as engaged as I was for the 10+ hours I played, don't think I had a single second of actual "fun".

Derrick01

Banned
subversus said:
lockers had shelfs so you had to dismember people before putting in.

I would be ok with this!

But yeah if they designed the lockers to store people they wouldn't have put any of those in.

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
Rufus said:
Could be that someone found an unconscious guard. I had that happen in the
Picus building
, a little further on I saw red lights flashing and the cameras were on full alert already. Had to load an earlier save and race back to hide the body better.
That happened to me when someone heard me breaking down a wall. I found an alerted room later and had to reload.

I still have no idea how I didn't get the trophy for no alarms. I never saw a flashing red light, never heard a siren, and never saw a red panel on the wall.

The_Darkest_Red said:
My favorite way to do it
on that last stretch with the crazies filled walkway is to get full energy, throw on the cloak, and try to walk right through everyone without touching any of them. It's pretty intense and you feel awesome once you get to the other side.

All you have to do is jump on top of a crate
or something and stay off the floor. The crazies can't touch you then. (After which I proceeded to headshot them one by one.)
lol

Rufus

Akuun said:
That happened to me when someone heard me breaking down a wall. I found an alerted room later and had to reload.
I think this is exactly what drew the guards into the hallway I had dragged one of them to. They couldn't spot the unconscious guard from their patrol routes, but one of them did spot the big hole in the wall. I only knocked that guard unconscious in the first place because he would have heard me smashing through it.
Dragging him through the automatically closing doors right next to the hole as his buddy was en route to check out the wall was pretty difficult. The doors close very quickly. One of the more frantic moments of this play-through.

Carbonox

Regarding Zeke:
I let him kill Josie and then I knocked Zeke out - does this situation go against Foxiest/Pacifist run at all?

CosmicGroinPull said:
All you have to do is jump on top of a crate
or something and stay off the floor. The crazies can't touch you then. (After which I proceeded to headshot them one by one.)
lol
You can do that on the final walkway leading to the Hyron Project? I thought it was too thin but I didn't look around much.

subversus

Carbonox_Ratchet said:
Regarding Zeke:
I let him kill Josie and then I knocked Zeke out - does this situation go against Foxiest/Pacifist run at all?

daaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaamn

I never thought about doing it this way....

Anilusion said:
Or...

PEPS

Ha THIS, all the way.
I would try to get as many crazies as I could coming towards me, then just peps them and double melee the stragglers. BODIES EVERYWHERE (though they're just sleeping).

I was watching Minority Report on HBO this weekend. There's a clear inspiration for the PEPS gun in that movie, only in the movie it's reload action is much much cooler. They should have just ripped the whole thing, check it out.

Londa

Banned
I'm going to hurry up with mah homework so I can finish visiting
the convention center to confront Taggart. That dude is a big douche.

Played through it twice now, one guns blazing and the other pacifist (I made it through the whole game and got the achievement). Not killing anyone was far more enjoyable and I would suggest that to anyone trying to decide between the two. I tried to take down as many guys as possible during my pacifist run, but got nervous due to worries of running out of non-lethal ammunition. I just relied on CQC and knocked everyone out. My favorite game of the year so far (besides Demon's Souls, I was LTTP for it).

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Playing this... I feel like I should actually play Deus Ex and IW for the first time. Not my typical, play for an hour or two and never return. But actually finish the games.

subversus

MrCompletely said:
Ha THIS, all the way.
I would try to get as many crazies as I could coming towards me, then just peps them and double melee the stragglers. BODIES EVERYWHERE (though they're just sleeping).

I was watching Minority Report on HBO this weekend. There's a clear inspiration for the PEPS gun in that movie, only in the movie it's reload action is much much cooler. They should have just ripped the whole thing, check it out.

it looks cool but this scene is soooo... stupid. I mean reloading it like this isn't handy in combat. Also lol @ these poses. AN ACTION MOVIE!!!

Riposte

ColonelColon said:
Yeah, it's not somber, generic, and bland enough. It needs to sound more like a Hans Zimmer soundtrack on Xanax.

Hans Zimmer videogame soundtracks are roughly better than what we got in DX HR.

vodka-bull said:
Which version should I buy, 360 or PS3?
Whichever one you want, they are nearly identical. 360 has slightly better load-times if installed and a smoother but less-aliased look. I have the PS3 version and I think the game looks and runs extremely well.

jet1911

Vistrix said:
How did you kill him? It was probably the hardest part in the whole game for me - partly because all I had was a tranq rifle lol

I threw two gas tank and two exploding barrel at him and he died. 30 seconds max. :p

Solo said:
I know what hes saying, but I still disagree. Its a completely different style than the rest of the score. Its punchier and rousing and I think even DX newbs would get juiced from it.

And "a handful of seconds"? The entire song plays.
I thought the song was cheesy, to be honest. But now that I'm playing the first game, it's a great inclusion.

Vistrix said:
How did you kill him? It was probably the hardest part in the whole game for me - partly because all I had was a tranq rifle lol

Yikes I can see why that was a problem!

I tend to carry a few lethal weapons just in case (I've not had to use them yet). I just ran back and forth between pillars gassing/flashing him and popped off a few headshots with the sniper rifle.

MarshMellow96 said:

I tend to carry a few lethal weapons just in case (I've not had to use them yet). I just ran back and forth between pillars gassing/flashing him and popped off a few headshots with the sniper rifle.
If you're worried about bosses just carry a stun gun and a shotgun. That's enough weapon wise to easily make it through the entire game.

luxarific

Nork unification denier
Riposte said:
Hans Zimmer videogame soundtracks are roughly better than what we got in DX HR.

I loved the soundtrack in this game and when the standalone OST comes out, it'll be a day-one purchase for me. The score hit all the right notes for me, maybe because it reminded me of Vangelis's work on Blade Runner. It's my favorite OST so far of this year, and is definitely in my top 10 list of gaming OSTs.

I just don't quite understand why Eidos didn't include the 9 minute end credits track on the Augmented Edition OST. It's my favorite track in the game, along with the Serif theme. Just a fantastic piece of music. I had no problem letting the end credits roll, just because listening to that track was so compelling.

luxarific said:
I loved the soundtrack in this game and when the standalone OST comes out, it'll be a day-one purchase for me. The score hit all the right notes for me, maybe because it reminded me of Vangelis's work on Blade Runner. It's my favorite OST so far of this year, and is definitely in my top 10 list of gaming OSTs.

I just don't quite understand why Eidos didn't include the 9 minute end credits track on the Augmented Edition OST. It's my favorite track in the game, along with the Serif theme. Just a fantastic piece of music. I had no problem letting the end credits roll, just because listening to that track was so compelling.
I agree 100%, I thought the OST was incredible. I've had the HR theme song in my head since the day the game came out. Also, the sound that it makes when you press start on the start screen combined with the music always makes me feel really happy.

IoCaster

Derrick01 said:

I found out late that using the crossbow is excellent for lethal ghosting. If you time it right and use a good angle, the bolt will propel the body into cover for you. I ghosted the FEMA level with all enemies killed, no alarms using the crossbow and 2 EMP mines for the bot. I bolted one guard from the catwalk and it knocked him under the raised cargo platform while the bot had it's back turned.

So given how short the tracks are on the soundtrack that came with the Augmented Edition, what are the odds we'll get a full blown OST that includes everything?

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
So I was wandering through Detroit and found a big gang hideout and killed everyone and found a code to what it said was some kind of stash, but have no idea where this is... I shut down some transmitter too.

Anyone have the faintest idea what I am talking about?

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
MarshMellow96 said:

I carry one lethal weapon on me on my nonlethal run just for boss fights, and I had a rather amusing time with the second boss because of this.

I was carrying a combat rifle with me but only had one clip of ammo because I snuck past everyone and took down a bare minimum of people all the way there. So after stunning her and emptying the assault rifle clip into her, I got desperate with the nonlethal weapons because I wanted her down asap and didn't want to run around looking for ammo. The rest of the boss fight went something like this:

1. Fire stun gun! *throws all frag grenades*
2. Fire PEPS! I don't want to wait for the reload, so change weapon!
3. The Tranquilizer rifle is the only weapon I have left that's loaded!
4. *piff*
5. *screen fade out*
LOL

found a code to what it said was some kind of stash, but have no idea where this is...
Probably one of the storage lockers in the city.

Enco

Neuromancer said:
So given how short the tracks are on the soundtrack that came with the Augmented Edition, what are the odds we'll get a full blown OST that includes everything?
Not too sure.

I wouldn't be happy though. Lets just say they wouldn't get any money from me for it.

For the new page, go HERE for an awesome mod/debug menu.

Surprisingly easy to install and remove.

Oh and infinite energy. One of the biggest issues with the game.

PC master race

Salaadin

Deadly Cyclone said:
So I was wandering through Detroit and found a big gang hideout and killed everyone and found a code to what it said was some kind of stash, but have no idea where this is... I shut down some transmitter too.

Anyone have the faintest idea what I am talking about?

Maybe for one of those locked garages that you need to access a terminal to get into? I just hacked all of them so I dont know for sure.

I do know that there is one near the basketball court. Check there?

Enco said:
Oh and infinite energy. One of the biggest issues with the game.
What? Are you saying the game needs this? You don't think the game would be just a little bit broken if you could walk around taking out 4 guys at a time invisibly? You don't think having the invisibility cloak in increments of 35 seconds would be a problem?

Top Bottom