• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Deus Ex: Human Revolution |OT| I never asked for this... It gave me lemon-lime

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Akuun said:
Probably one of the storage lockers in the city.

Hmm, well I found the one for the police mission already and there is a locked box in there but this code didn't work for it. Wasn't aware there were more.

Deus Ex' producer: "we have written a story for four games"

Xboxygen : When you decided to undertake a prequel to the Deus Ex story, did you have a long term vision, as a trilogy, or maybe a second episode?

David Anfossi We don’t work as fast as the music; we prefer to do step by step. We have not planned a following, but like any good developer, we have written a story for four games. And I, as a producer, had to cut a little to be more realistic and have a more condensed content. The game still offers 30 hours of story and other than that, for the future, we'll see how the title is received and we'll decide.

http://www.xboxygen.com/Focus/Interviews/Deus-Ex-event-questions-a-David-Anfossi

Gvaz

Banned
The_Darkest_Red said:
What? Are you saying the game needs this? You don't think the game would be just a little bit broken if you could walk around taking out 4 guys at a time invisibly? You don't think having the invisibility cloak in increments of 35 seconds would be a problem?
It would be cool to cloak through the entire map with no downtime.

Enco

The_Darkest_Red said:
What? Are you saying the game needs this? You don't think the game would be just a little bit broken if you could walk around taking out 4 guys at a time invisibly? You don't think having the invisibility cloak in increments of 35 seconds would be a problem?
The issue is that only one bar of energy regens. This is ridiculous and makes most things useless. Heck, even if regen was slower but all batteries regenerated I would be happy.

I'm going to go through my second play through with unlimited energy and all augs unlocked from the start. Yes, this is by no means a serious play through. It's just for fun. I played through the game once with no mods and enjoyed it. Now I want to mess around.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
Deadly Cyclone said:
Hmm, well I found the one for the police mission already and there is a locked box in there but this code didn't work for it. Wasn't aware there were more.

wow there are tons of them.

locked garage doors, just doors, safes and so on.

Gvaz said:
It would be cool to cloak through the entire map with no downtime.
While we're at it why not add killstreaks? After 5 takedowns you can call in Malik and take the gunner seat of her other ship, an AC-130.

Enco said:
The issue is that only one bar of energy regens. This is ridiculous and makes most things useless. Heck, even if regen was slower but all batteries regenerated I would be happy.
That's just completely untrue. Nothing becomes useless because of this, it just causes you to have to think more. 7 seconds of cloaking to set yourself up for a takedown after a recharge is incredibly useful, as is a few seconds of silent sprinting. What is it that you think demands more than 1 energy cell to become something more than useless?

luxarific

Nork unification denier
Neuromancer said:
So given how short the tracks are on the soundtrack that came with the Augmented Edition, what are the odds we'll get a full blown OST that includes everything?

Everything? I doubt, unless it's 2 CDs long. But hopefully longer tracks then what were included on the Augmented OST. Wouldn't mind the 2010 trailer music either.

Gvaz

Banned
Yeah snack bars should be changed to regenning all bars for the impatient people, increase the time it takes to charge all bars, and have all bars recharge over (a long) time.

The_Darkest_Red said:
While we're at it why not add killstreaks? After 5 takedowns you can call in Malik and take the gunner seat of her other ship, an AC-130.
Aww yeah I love hyperbole.

And no that wouldn't fit with the spirit of the game.

Enco said:

I'm going to go through my second play through with unlimited energy and all augs unlocked from the start. Yes, this is by no means a serious play through. It's just for fun. I played through the game once with no mods and enjoyed it. Now I want to mess around.
I'm inclined to agree with you. I feel like the extra battery upgrades are pretty much worthless unless you want to chow down on Power Bars the whole game.

tomchoucrew said:
Awesome.

Gvaz said:
Aww yeah I love hyperbole.

And no that wouldn't fit with the spirit of the game.
I was just joking. Then again, I thought you were too...

Neuromancer said:
I'm inclined to agree with you. I feel like the extra battery upgrades are pretty much worthless unless you want to chow down on Power Bars the whole game.
I don't know, there were some times when I was really thankful to have 4 or 5 energy cells, particularly the
escape from Tai Yong and the part where Malik's chopper crashes.
They certainly aren't necessary, though.

PC players: now that the first week hype is gone -- would you recommend this as a purchase?

I try to avoid buying/pre-ordering AAA/$50 games because I regret them 50% of the time and usually forget the ones I don't buy after the initial launch hype wave -- but with DE:HR I am still intrigued by it and want to play it after reading reviews and what not.

Deadbeat

Banned
Its still a great game, but im done playing till they fix a bug I got in the convention center. Now all my saves are corrupted in a way that no matter what path I choose in an objective it will always go one way after.

The_Darkest_Red said:

The level design and enemy difficulty should have been balanced around a better energy system, I really feel like the energy regen system is the result of a rushed job a balancing the game. More bots, elite enemies that can see through cloak, more locked doors, tighter groups of enemies that can't be silently dealt with using take-downs, better AI in general, ect. - all could have been put to use to make full energy regen fair and the game would have been more fun for it. Or just make it like Deus Ex 1 where there is still no regen but the usage and availability of regen items is MUCH better.

It's pretty ridiculous that Jensen would have been better of keeping one of his real arms so that he could punch someone in the face or choke someone out without having to eat a candy bar or wait 30 seconds every time. He's basically fucked in any fight there requires more than a few punches lol.

Enco

weekendCONFIRMED said:
PC players: now that the first week hype is gone -- would you recommend this as a purchase?

I try to avoid buying/pre-ordering AAA/$50 games because I regret them 50% of the time and usually forget the ones I don't buy after the initial launch hype wave -- but with DE:HR I am still intrigued by it and want to play it after reading reviews and what not.
Yes.

From when I finished the game:

Enco said:
Just finished the game.

Steam says at 21 hours but I'm certain that's wrong. Did most if not all of the side quests.

Pros
- It has the best atmosphere of any game I have ever played
- An interesting story
- Very open ended gameplay. Multiple paths to accomplish most things
- The soundtrack is beautiful
- The characters are interesting
- The voice acting is very good for the most part
- Some of the best gaming moments that I can remember (great set pieces)

Cons
- You can only regen on energy bar without food. Worst thing about the game. Seriously limits you
- The bosses are generic like crazy (2nd and 3rd were very hard. 1st and 4th were very easy)
- The cutscene quality is a complete joke
- The lip syncing is a complete joke
- Ending was just a monologue (for me anyway). A proper cutscene would have been nice
- The last mission or two felt rushed

Other Stuff
- Play with object highlight off. It makes the game much more fun
- Play with a FOV of 90 (at least)
- The creepy muscle mannequins were awesome
- The best play through is a mix between lethal and non lethal. For me anyway. I don't care for achievements
- Gonna play a complete terminator run next play through

Overall, definitely in my top 5 games of all time.

subversus

weekendCONFIRMED said:

DO IT

D6AMIA6N

Many people here are insistent that this is a stealth game, and while it is, there are no penalties for playing it as a shooter.

I would say I have killed at least 90-95% of all the enemies I have encountered, up through Zhao's office. I have yet to purchase any ammo for any weapon, and have an abundance of all ammo types. For every enemy killed, you at least recoup some sort of ammo, and with conservative exploration uncovering weapon lockers, random ammo, etc., there is no need to conserve.

You can play the game utilizing stealth, combat, or a mix of in between, but you will need to hack regardless of which way you primarily play.

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
Enco said:
Yes.

From when I finished the game:

Top five games of all time? Really?

weekendCONFIRMED said:

For me it was worth the $35 I paid for it. It has clear faults but it was still an enjoyable experience.

Treemonkeys said:
The level design and enemy difficulty should have been balanced around a better energy system, I really feel like the energy regen system is the result of a rushed job a balancing the game. More bots, elite enemies that can see through cloak, more locked doors, tighter groups of enemies that can't be silently dealt with using take-downs, better AI in general, ect. - all could have been put to use to make full energy regen fair and the game would have been more fun for it. Or just make it like Deus Ex 1 where there is still no regen but the usage and availability of regen items is MUCH better.

It's pretty ridiculous that Jensen would have been better of keeping one of his real arms so that he could punch someone in the face or choke someone out without having to eat a candy bar or wait 30 seconds every time. He's basically fucked in any fight there requires more than a few punches lol.
I agree that there is room for improvement, or at least room for different approaches, but I loved the flow of HR as it is and I feel like the decisions made regarding the energy system were perfectly fine. The pacing felt great to me.

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
weekendCONFIRMED said:

Most definitely yes. If the cost is making you balk, you can find it for around $35 on some websites.

This is probably the only long game that I jumped back into right after finishing it. It's certainly not perfect - it has its share of little issues - but they are all negligible when you consider that the game is, at heart, simply fantastic.

Akuun said:
Most definitely yes. If the cost is making you balk, you can find it for around $35 on some websites.

This is probably the only long game that I jumped back into right after finishing it. It's certainly not perfect - it has its share of little issues - but they are all negligible when you consider that the game is, at heart, simply fantastic.
I am still surprised at the fact that I not only finished a 30+ hour game in a week (an incredible rarity for me these days) but I also managed to finish it a second time the very next week. All the while I haven't even touched another game that I own. Say what you will about its flaws but I cannot deny that it takes a very, very special game to get that out of me.

Thanks for quick replies. I'll probably mull it over back and forth for a bit, just to be on safe side. It's still $35 on Amazon..hope that doesn't end like, in the next few hours o.0

Oh, and should I play it with a mouse/kb or controller? Are the mouse issues really as bad as Rebel FM duders made it seem?

jorgeton

So I got to the part where
Malik's helicopter crashes, and I wasn't able to save her
. That was bad enough.. but then
I find her dead body inside Harvester HQ.
I was so shocked and appalled that I had to take a break from the game. Might go back to it tonight, but it just isn't the same now...

Also, I agree with the energy system being on the lame side. Why not rebalance the game so all your batteries recharge? I think it would make it a much more enjoyable experience instead of constantly having to go into the menu to eat protein bars, which take up precious inventory space.

jorgeton said:
I was so shocked and appalled that I had to take a break from the game. Might go back to it tonight, but it just isn't the same now...
It was a mega bummer for me too, but (I hope this isn't a spoiler to say)
it is possible to save her, some people here have.
I just rolled with it as part of my story.

subversus

weekendCONFIRMED said:
Thanks for quick replies. I'll probably mull it over back and forth for a bit, just to be on safe side. It's still $35 on Amazon..hope that doesn't end like, in the next few hours o.0

Oh, and should I play it with a mouse/kb or controller? Are the mouse issues really as bad as Rebel FM duders made it seem?

mouse is pefect. No smoothing or acceleration. UI is redone. You can hotkey pretty much everything. It feels like a native PC game.

jorgeton said:

Also, I agree with the energy system being on the lame side. Why not rebalance the game so all your batteries recharge? I think it would make it a much more enjoyable experience instead of constantly having to go into the menu to eat protein bars, which take up precious inventory space.
You don't have to constantly eat protein bars, you just have to learn how to play the game with one cell. The extra energy cells are only there for situations where you need them, such as the
Malik scenario that you just played.

I honestly don't understand why this is such a common complaint. On my first playthrough I used a grand total of 5-10 energy recovering items and I was still constantly using the cloak and takedowns. There is really no reason why you need to walk around with more than 1 energy cell for most of the scenarios in the game.

Anyway, I also
failed to save Malik (my first time through anyway). I felt truly guilty and sad when I found her body... it was a disturbingly effective touch.

subversus said:
mouse is pefect. No smoothing or acceleration. UI is redone. You can hotkey pretty much everything. It feels like a native PC game.
woot. I'm so used to crappy console ports this generation -- sad I expect the controller to be better in most cases :/

There are multiple energy bars on top of a box in that particular area
where Malik comes under attack

It took a few tries, but I was able to take out everybody in non-lethal fashion with takedowns and my stun gun... though if I had to get lethal to
Save Malik
I'd have done it without hesitation.

Riposte

subversus said:

Aside from the hacking, where the UI is evasive and altogether feels loose(easy to make mistakes).

Seriously, Amazon? Since I posted the price has gone back up to $39.99. Anyone know where I can still snag it for $35? Preferably just the key or digital version.

subversus

Riposte said:
Aside from the hacking, where the UI is evasive and altogether feels loose(easy to make mistakes).

It depends on a person I think. I never made a mistake but I can see how some people can in the heat of countdown.

Durante

I've played for 9 hours now according to Steam and GAF, I have to tell you that this game is awesome. Playing on "Give me Deus Ex" and I've shot 3 times so far (all tranq rounds). Controls, options and performance on PC are almost perfect, the only thing I'm missing is a real AA mode.

They even managed to make the hacking minigame somewhat entertaining.

Tesseract

Banned
Xboxygen : When you decided to undertake a prequel to the Deus Ex story, did you have a long term vision, as a trilogy, or maybe a second episode?

David Anfossi We don’t work as fast as the music; we prefer to do step by step. We have not planned a following, but like any good developer, we have written a story for four games. And I, as a producer, had to cut a little to be more realistic and have a more condensed content. The game still offers 30 hours of story and other than that, for the future, we'll see how the title is received and we'll decide.

this shit needs to stop.

subversus

weekendCONFIRMED said:
Seriously, Amazon? Since I posted the price has gone back up to $39.99. Anyone know where I can still snag it for $35? Preferably just the key or digital version.

c'mon, this game worth it.

also take a look at gameplay options, you can turn off automatic inventory handling, highliting, prompts, waypoint markers and so on.

garath

Treemonkeys said:

Disagree completely.

The game was pretty well balanced around the limitations the energy system gave you. If the energy bars regen'd such that you'd have the full 5? bars most of the game that would be horribly broken. As it was you have 1 bar of energy to do what you want else you were popping a consumable. It made me find other approaches than cloaking up and taking out 5 guys. I found ways to separate them or take them out individually and hide the body, or I popped an energy bar knowing it was now consumed.

Or if I had to get through an area I would cloak and throw on silent running and try to make it to my next hiding spot within 1 bar to not use a consumable.

Takedown is an instant kill, having it managed by consumables is perfectly acceptable.

Just think how broken the game would be with infinite energy.

All that said, I'm near the end of the game and I have ~20 energy bars, 8 or so energy packs and an energy tub all in my inventory right now. Not to mention what I'll find between now and the end.

Akuun

jorgeton said:
I reloaded as soon as that happened. One of the few moments in the game where I went completely loud.

A similarly strong moment was at the
Alice Garden Pods. It was already really depressing to see the people there, because the game goes out of its way to show to you how all the people living here are honest workers who are just getting screwed by big corporations.

So it was very shocking and infurating when Belltower troops flew in and massacred the very people they were hired to protect. It was one of those moments when I went and killed every last soldier there just because I wanted them dead.

Swifty

weekendCONFIRMED said:

This is probably one of the very few $60 release day games I don't regret buying.

Riposte

Alice Garden Pods
was definitely remarkable, probably the emotional highpoint in the game.
Poor ferret.

It is funny that this game has distinctive dungeons, like you'd expect from Oblivion.

EDIT: Full energy recharge would have made this game retarded as hell. Could you imagine it with silent step or cloak? Throw that on a "Give me a broken game" difficulty option.

jorgeton

Akuun said:
A similarly strong moment was at the
Alice Garden Pods. It was already really depressing to see the people there, because the game goes out of its way to show to you how all the people living here are honest workers who are just getting screwed by big corporations.

So it was very shocking and infurating when Belltower troops flew in and massacred the very people they were hired to protect. It was one of those moments when I went and killed every last soldier there just because I wanted them dead.

Totally. Another highlight for me. I was exploring the complex, attempting not to trigger the story mission, when I do just that by accident.
the sight of those troops dropping in from the ceiling and gunning down civilians had my jaw on the floor. those bastards. I took great joy in killing those SOBs.

jorgeton said:
Totally. Another highlight for me. I was exploring the complex, attempting not to trigger the story mission, when I do just that by accident.
the sight of those troops dropping in from the ceiling and gunning down civilians had my jaw on the floor. those bastards. I took great joy in killing those SOBs.

I did the same thing in my previously non-lethal playthrough.. I went so far as to knock them out with my stun gun and shoot them in the face until they were dead.

Akuun

Riposte said:
Alice Garden Pods
was definitely remarkable, probably the emotional highpoint in the game.
Poor ferret.

EDIT: Full energy recharge would have made this game retarded as hell. Could you imagine it with silent step or cloak? Throw that on a "Give me a broken game" difficulty option.
Yeah, I walked away from the whole
ferret
thing, but I felt really bad about it.

And I'm not sure how they could have solved the energy recharge thing. On one hand, only one cell does cause the issues that everyone's brought up many times, but you can easily clear most rooms in the game with just 5 fully charged cells and your augs.

Beat the first boss and pushed slightly passed that the other night. Didn't take off for China yet but I guess that's my next step. Really enjoying this game, it's quite challenging trying to play stealthy. I mostly try to stay non-lethal (throwing boxes around to cause distractions so I can punch dudes in the face) but disabling the alarm panels and headshotting the guards with my revolver is always entertaining to.

Riposte said:
I notice this as well, I can't tell you how many times I accidentally used a Stop Worm or a Nuke Virus by mistake or punched in a code wrong with the mouse. It's not game breaking, it's just a little wonky and you have to be careful.

Akuun said:
Yeah, I walked away from the whole
ferret
thing, but I felt really bad about it.

And I'm not sure how they could have solved the energy recharge thing. On one hand, only one cell does cause the issues that everyone's brought up many times, but you can easily clear most rooms in the game with just 5 fully charged cells and your augs.

Yeah, there really isn't a good way to solve it.. it requires a little item management.. personally I think the system works best the way it is.. as it prevents abuse of your more powerful augmentations..

Ding

Question: What augment do I need to activate in order to have breakable walls be highlighted? I already have the wall-punch aug.

(Actually, is that a game-setting I need to toggle? For all the whining about object highlighting, it just occurred to me that my 360 version has almost none. Pick-up-able things like pocket secretaries blink in a fairly subtle fashion, and that's about it. Ladders just look like ladders. Vents, likewise. Is that stuff turned off by default?)

Top Bottom