• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Deus Ex: Human Revolution |OT| I never asked for this... It gave me lemon-lime

wutwutwut

Ding said:
Question: What augment do I need to activate in order to have breakable walls be highlighted? I already have the wall-punch aug.

(Actually, is that a game-setting I need to toggle? For all the whining about object highlighting, it just occurred to me that my 360 version has almost none. Pick-up-able things like pocket secretaries blink in a fairly subtle fashion, and that's about it. Ladders just look like ladders. Vents, likewise. Is that stuff turned off by default?)
On the hardest mode, I think so, yes. There should be an option in gameplay settings to turn it back on.

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
Ding said:
Question: What augment do I need to activate in order to have breakable walls be highlighted? I already have the wall-punch aug.

(Actually, is that a game-setting I need to toggle? For all the whining about object highlighting, it just occurred to me that my 360 version has almost none. Pick-up-able things like pocket secretaries blink in a fairly subtle fashion, and that's about it. Ladders just look like ladders. Vents, likewise. Is that stuff turned off by default?)
I'm not sure about the 360 version, but object highlighting (which includes breakable walls) is turned off by default in the PC version.

Turfster

Sober said:
Plus you can only capture them if they aren't active (i.e. you are undetected or you use a slow worm to turn them off momentarily and try to capture it)
Not true. It's harder to capture an activated ICE, but not impossible.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
Akuun said:
I'm not sure about the 360 version, but object highlighting (which includes breakable walls) is turned off by default in the PC version.

no, it's not! not in my copy at least.

Anyway I tried it without any highlighting, promtrs and reticule yesterday and yes, it's much better this way. Although for veterans only.

Balphon

subversus said:
no, it's not! not in my copy at least.

Anyway I tried it without any highlighting, promtrs and reticule yesterday and yes, it's much better this way. Although for veterans only.

I think the difficulty you select determines whether it's on by default. (i.e. It's off if you picked Deus Ex.)

Ding

wutwutwut said:
On the hardest mode, I think so, yes. There should be an option in gameplay settings to turn it back on.
Ah so....

Hmmm, I am playing on the hardest difficulty, so that explains that. Dare I turn the high-lighting on, or will that be equivalent to turning down the difficulty? (Achievement-wise)

I'm fine with having stuff like vents un-highlighted, but spotting breakable walls is kinda tough for me. I think I only found two in Detroit, and neither led to loot.
(Both in the gang hideout up north)

i-Lo

PS3 version here:

The is freezing every time I load up the save point at Hengsha (
The second time when Jensen goes to find Sevchenko
). I am about to do a side quest for the millionaire Brit (the active quest).

Anyone else having the problem? Any solution?

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
Ding said:
Ah so....

Hmmm, I am playing on the hardest difficulty, so that explains that. Dare I turn the high-lighting on, or will that be equivalent to turning down the difficulty? (Achievement-wise)

I'm fine with having stuff like vents un-highlighted, but spotting breakable walls is kinda tough for me. I think I only found two in Detroit, and neither led to loot.
(Both in the gang hideout up north)
Breakable walls are VERY hard to spot without highlighting. I don't think highlighting makes things too obvious for the most part, with the key exception of room searches for hidden items.

weekendCONFIRMED said:
PC players: now that the first week hype is gone -- would you recommend this as a purchase?

I try to avoid buying/pre-ordering AAA/$50 games because I regret them 50% of the time and usually forget the ones I don't buy after the initial launch hype wave -- but with DE:HR I am still intrigued by it and want to play it after reading reviews and what not.

Yes, I would highly recommend it. It's one of those games that only comes along occasionally that can suck you in and dominate your thoughts even while you're not playing. It's one of the best games I've played in quite some time. It has a few rough edges (so did the first, of course) but it's one of those games that's more then the sum of its parts.

If you're willing to take the game slowly, and really get absorbed into the world, then you'll end up loving it. If you're looking for a quicker paced game and don't like to take your time in a game, it's probably not for you though.

Solo

afternoon delight said:
Okay, I can't be the only one who really loves the hacking minigame.

It was fun the first 100 or so times. Eventually it becomes a chore though. Same goes for every game with a hacking minigame.

Well, I've spaced out 12 hours over a week so it doesn't wear out its welcome haha.

PC players: now that the first week hype is gone -- would you recommend this as a purchase?
As long as they get the first one to go with it, sure. You know, if they don't have it already. Because it's a great sequel to Deus Ex.

afternoon delight said:
Okay, I can't be the only one who really loves the hacking minigame.

It's pretty fun when spaced out. There's a bit too much hacking though, in my opinion. I always want to read everything on every computer, but when I'm in a building with a dozen or so computers spaced out in it, in addition to any doors I'm hacking? I get a little tired of it.

Luckily a hacking game rarely ever lasts more than 10 seconds or so.

MJLord

One of the main bits in the game that made me sit back in my seat was when
Darrow turns on his transmitter and makes everyone have crazy ass visions and start murdering each other
also the part where you find
"Mother"

Those are the two bits that made me sit up and pay full attention again

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
SenseiJinx said:
It's pretty fun when spaced out. There's a bit too much hacking though, in my opinion. I always want to read everything on every computer, but when I'm in a building with a dozen or so computers spaced out in it, in addition to any doors I'm hacking? I get a little tired of it.

Luckily a hacking game rarely ever lasts more than 10 seconds or so.
Hacking is boring early on but some of the level 5 ones. Man, those are tough without augs.

Anyone one have any idea why the FMV's are so low-res? They wouldn't look so terrible if they were actually at the same res I play the rest of the game at...

SenseiJinx said:
Anyone one have any idea why the FMV's are so low-res? They wouldn't look so terrible if they were actually at the same res I play the rest of the game at...
Mostly I just noticed how dark they were.

Turfster

Aaaaaaaand done with my second runthrough. Got all the achievements except one
The fall, which I totally forgot to save for
. Oh well.

FMV's used to be used when the hardware and the engines weren't powerful enough to display what they wanted to show in real time.

So why are developers still using FMV? I'm guessing the rationale might have been that their character animation engine for the game wasn't advanced enough (as can be seen by the janky in game animations) to portray what they wanted in the cutscenes.

But the style just feels different, and it's too jarring for me. =\ If they had been more like the original CGI trailer, I wouldn't have minded.

Oh well. Minor complaint. There's not enough of them to make it a huge deal anyway.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
SenseiJinx said:

I hate to toss around blame, but I get the impression that they're compressed for the 360 version (the lead platform, with the ancient optical media) and Eidos/Nixxes didn't have the time, resources, or desire to add uncompressed, full quality cutscenes to the PS3 and PC ports.

Riposte

I said the hacking UI was evasive, but I meant invasive lol. Still makes sense though, since "Capture" can be evasive as hell.

Pimpbaa

weekendCONFIRMED said:

I haven't enjoyed a PC game this much since Vampire: The Masquerade Bloodlines (well, maybe Bioshock).

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
I can't remember the last time the "how hard the game appears to be trying to convey a cool story versus how little I care about the story" ratio ever being so one to one, for me. I have nothing to latch onto, here. It all feels really heavy-handed and clumsy. I just don't care about anything Jenson does, either to himself or the people around him.

neoism

31 hours... just got back to Detroit.... Slow gamers FTW... The game is fucking BOSS best 35 I've spent all year.

Truelize

Steroid Distributor
neoism said:
31 hours... just got back to Detroit.... Slow gamers FTW... The game is fucking BOSS best 35 I've spent all year.

Good to hear that other people are taking their time too. I'm sure I have spent 20+ hours in the game and I just got finished with Montreal. I messaged a buddy on my friends list and told him to check this game out. He went and picked it up and finished it in two days.
Some things are meant to be cherished.

Einbroch

Banned
I feel stupid.

I didn't know you could do more than one thing at once in the hacking minigame.

Holy crap. I was loading and reloading over and over because I was taking nodes and fortifying one node at a time.

DERP.

Hixx

Finished it for the second time. Absolutely baffled how I didn't get Foxiest of the Hounds as its the only achievement I'm missing... no alarms went off apart from scripted ones, the only time I got spotted was less than half a second before killing/KO'ing from a corner or using the stun gun, same for hostile. No camera went higher than suspicious, no turret spotted me at all... gah.

If I didn't have Bayonetta to finish off and Resistance 3 on friday I'd probably start a third playthrough.

Probably my favourite game since RE4.

Einbroch said:
I feel stupid.

Holy crap. I was loading and reloading over and over because I was taking nodes and fortifying one node at a time.

DERP.

I found fortifying any node, even the beginning one, was a waste of time fwiw.

Solo

There is NO discernable difference between normal and hard. None. Hard turns off markers and stuff, but you should do that anyway.

Solo said:
There is NO discernable difference between normal and hard. None. Hard turns off markers and stuff, but you should do that anyway.

Huh?

You die way faster on hard. Like 3-4 bullets on hard, versus twice as many on normal.

Einbroch said:
I feel stupid.

DERP.
It took me a while to figure that out too.

afternoon delight said:
From Introversion Software.
The people responsible for Darwinia and Multiwinia.

BOUGHT.
Yeah it's a really cool game, in fact I just downloaded the demo and played through the tutorial again for the hell of it. Hard to believe it's 10 years old. It holds up.

Rez said:
I can't remember the last time the "how hard the game appears to be trying to convey a cool story versus how little I care about the story" ratio ever being so one to one, for me. I have nothing to latch onto, here. It all feels really heavy-handed and clumsy. I just don't care about anything Jenson does, either to himself or the people around him.

I've got say I'm completely on the other spectrum. At least so far. I just got to the third hub, so there's still time for the story to let me down. But I've been very drawn in by the story, and I think Jenson is a fantastic character.

Solo

ThoseDeafMutes said:
Huh?

You die way faster on hard. Like 3-4 bullets on hard, versus twice as many on normal.

You die fast on both. I never detected much of a difference between the twpo levels with respect to that.

charsace

SenseiJinx said:
FMV's used to be used when the hardware and the engines weren't powerful enough to display what they wanted to show in real time.

So why are developers still using FMV? I'm guessing the rationale might have been that their character animation engine for the game wasn't advanced enough (as can be seen by the janky in game animations) to portray what they wanted in the cutscenes.

But the style just feels different, and it's too jarring for me. =\ If they had been more like the original CGI trailer, I wouldn't have minded.

Oh well. Minor complaint. There's not enough of them to make it a huge deal anyway.
They use FMV for a whole bunch of reasons. Maybe they want to use better looking assets because they feel the scene needs it or they stream assets during the FMV.

epmode

HixxSAFC said:
I found fortifying any node, even the beginning one, was a waste of time fwiw.
It depends on the configuration of nodes. Oftentimes you'll only have a few low security nodes between you and the enemy CPU while the useful XP bonuses are off in the distance in a high security forest. If you don't fortify the stuff nearest to your CPU, you'd probably get screwed as soon as you're detected.

This is kind of simplified since it's hard to discuss without a diagram. IN CONCLUSION, fortification really was useful.

charsace said:
They use FMV for a whole bunch of reasons. Maybe they want to use better looking assets because they feel the scene needs it or they stream assets during the FMV.

It makes sense, I just wish they weren't so low res. On 1680x1050 or 1920x1080 they look pretty bad.

Oh well. Definitely not a game breaker.

epmode said:
It depends on the configuration of nodes. Oftentimes you'll only have a few low security nodes between you and the enemy CPU while the useful XP bonuses are off in the distance in a high security forest. If you don't fortify the stuff nearest to your CPU, you'd probably get screwed as soon as you're detected.

This is kind of simplified since it's hard to discuss without a diagram. IN CONCLUSION, fortification really was useful.
I never fortified but then again I never realized capturing the ICE gave you all the data stores. I was pretty much winging it the whole time.

I had all my hacking capture and stealth augs maxed out, by the end of the game I had 20-30 stop worms and nuke viruses stored up.

Replicant

The next game can use a stat display like:
Amount of enemies killed:
Amount of enemies knocked out (live):
Amount of times detected:

Especially if they insisted on having achievements/trophies related to this things. It's annoying having to guess if you screwed up a play-through or not especially when one of the enemies you knocked out fell to their death somehow due to him getting accidentally pushed into a ditch. I haven't done something like that but I've seen enough people complaining about it that I think it's a real problem.

Also needs better cover/shoot system. It needs quick dodging ability and a melee ability for close quarter combats. The combat feels really janky and not fun to do. I also find it annoying that running is severely limited to a few seconds only unless you do Aug. What kind of shit is this? It's not even running in most cases, just jogging from one cover to cover. Most relatively fit people can last for an hour jogging so why Jensen, who's an Augmented individual on top of being a normal human, can't do the same?

ScOULaris

I've taken a while to finally post in this thread for two reasons. 1) I didn't get the game until four days ago, and 2) I've been too busy playing the game to come post on here.

I'm really enjoying it. It feels like a PC game that was developed in the late 90's or early 2000's, and I mean that in the best way possible. It feels flexible, complex without being overwhelming, and content-rich in ways that few games do these days. Sure, it's presentation is all over the place, but my cyberpunk odyssey with Mr. Jensen has been an absolute blast thus far.

I've been taking my time, playing the game with a focus on stealth and hacking and exploring every nook and cranny in the environments. I find myself going mostly nonlethal, but every once in a while I decide it's time for someone to die brutally. Nothing like watching a guard turn away from his comrade only to turn back around and see his head stapled to the wall with a crossbow dart. And before he has any clue what transpired, I turn on my cloaking system, run up, and eviscerate him with my augmented death blades. The shooting is definitely sub-par, but I have to say that the stealth was very well-handled in this game.

Anyway, here's a little anecdote from my playtime with the game that I think perfectly captures why I love it:

I'm in
Shanghai
, and I decided to do the side-mission for the bartender at
The Hive
. By the time I tracked down the
girl that owed him money
, I was feeling a bit bored of playing Mr. Nice Cyborg. After hearing her sob story, I decided to just gut her like a fish and then drag her body onto her bed to make it look like she was just sleeping. When I returned to the bartender to collect my money, he got all pissed at me for killing off his "cash cow" and refused to give me the money reward that he had promised. I hated that bastard, but I'd lost my chance to collect the reward. So I did the first thing that came to my mind:
I went into cloak mode, put a fucking crossbow bolt through his head, and then snuck out the bathroom air duct before the guards found me out. Once the alert wore off, I went back into the club and collected a chunk of credits and a praxis kit from his corpse!

That kind of freedom reminds me of my first experiences with the Hitman series. Some of the assassination scenarios in this game feel like a direct evolution of what Hitman started.

OK this thread + reviews and waiting for the launch hype to pass (and to still be excited to play it) has led to picking this up. Found a 100% feedback person on ebay selling extra key for $30. Couldn't pass that up, considering I was about to just do the $40 Amazon deal.

Can't wait to get into this world. Loved reading this thread last few days.

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
Snuggler said:
I hate to toss around blame, but I get the impression that they're compressed for the 360 version (the lead platform, with the ancient optical media) and Eidos/Nixxes didn't have the time, resources, or desire to add uncompressed, full quality cutscenes to the PS3 and PC ports.

I think they still look like ass on the PC. I blame Square-Enix as Eidos outsourced them to one of their internal teams.

Deadbeat

Banned
Heres a tip for the first boss:

Throw yellow gas canister at him.
Throw red explosive barrel at him.

Do that for all the stuff in the environment.

Congrats you beat the boss in less than 30 seconds with no ammo.

Top Bottom