• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Deus Ex: Human Revolution |OT| I never asked for this... It gave me lemon-lime

Rickenslacker said:
No, only if they actually activate an alarm AFAIK. But suspicious is definitely okay.

What about in sequences such as the
downed heli in Hengsha
?

I'm thinking of doing an undetected lethal playthrough for the trophy and I'm wondering if I can 'go loud' for some of the set pieces.

MarshMellow96 said:
What about in sequences such as the
downed heli in Hengsha
?

I'm thinking of doing an undetected lethal playthrough for the trophy and I'm wondering if I can 'go loud' for some of the set pieces.
I was hostile through that entire sequence and knocked everyone out. Still got Foxiest. There are also one or two scripted alarms that you shouldn't freak out about either.

on bosses:
MaddenNFL64 said:
More advice. Just use a pistol with armor piercing, and laser sight. Chuck gas or EMP to stun & go to town (there are gas canisters nearby, as well as explosive barrels, use those too is you like).

I just drop two UR DED explosives at their feet and fire off a couple of Magnum shots to the face and they go down. Bosses just have a lot of health compared to normal guys, you can do a perfect stealth run but be prepared and carry something heavier for these.

Relax.MX

I'm on my second run in the achievement pacifist(almost done!), maximum difficulty, and I'm on the last enemy ... advice?

Kill crazed troops or robots in the last boss count for this achievement?

Kinyou

Just finished the game for the second time and got every achievement....
except for the pacifist one

I feel so empty... :*(

Korigama

Relax.MX said:
I'm on my second run in the achievement pacified(almost done!), maximum difficulty, and I'm on the last enemy ... advice?

Kill crazed troops or robots in the last boss count for this achievement?
Automated enemies (turrets/robots) never count. The only thing to watch out for is if you blow up a robot and it takes a person with it, which I still see conflicting reports about whether it effects anything. As for the other part of your question, I addressed it earlier at the top of the page.
Korigama said:
2./
During the final boss fight against Zhao in the Hyron room, there will be more crazy soldiers who come out in the second half of the fight. As long as you use non-lethal methods to put them down when fighting them yourself, you'll be okay, even if Zhao winds up killing them by electrifying the ground.

Branson

I finished it yesterday, didn't get Foxiest, to my disappointment, but I did get Pacifist, which is nice. I must have set off an alarm on a turret or camera somewhere :'(

Korigama

Branson said:
I finished it yesterday, didn't get Foxiest, to my disappointment, but I did get Pacifist, which is nice. I must have set off an alarm on a turret or camera somewhere :'(

Out of curiosity, did you (spoilers for final mission)
blow up the robot in the hangar early on at Panchaea by any chance? I gave up on bothering with it because the explosion kept hitting the camera behind it as well, setting off the alarm. Since it won't move unless you bother it anyway, I just left it alone.

Relax.MX

Korigama said:
Automated enemies (turrets/robots) never count. The only thing to watch out for is if you blow up a robot and it takes a person with it, which I still see conflicting reports about whether it effects anything. As for the other part of your question, I addressed it earlier at the top of the page.

Thanks Korigama :)

MvWZN.jpg

Radec

I just killed that Punk Girl boss fight by just shooting her like 3 times with a shotgun then she just got electrocuted or something. lol

Kinyou

Korigama said:
Is it also known that sometimes when an enemy sits in a chair and gets tazed/ tranquilized he ends up dead? Happened a lot to me until I gave up end decided to mostly sneak around everyone.

Carbonox

Ugh, the port is a nightmare for me where Foxiest run is concerned. I don't have the ability to disable robots.

I can easily take out the closest 3 guards (one standing next to the security hut, as well as the guy inside, plus the far left guard) and the first sniper. After that, I'm at a total loss of where to go next.

Korigama

Kinyou said:
Is it also known that sometimes when an enemy sits in a chair and gets tazed/ tranquilized he ends up dead? Happened a lot to me until I gave up end decided to mostly sneak around everyone.

I had more of a problem with this during a couple of sidequests, but managed to avoid it during the main game. It's an annoying glitch either way.

Is it possible to revisit areas? I'm able to move on from Detroit to some factory, and even though I've done all the sidequests, I'm wondering if I can dump items that might be useful in Jensen's apartment for later use. Or once I leave, can I not return?

Ken

Shotgun Kiss said:
Is it possible to revisit areas? I'm able to move on from Detroit to some factory, and even though I've done all the sidequests, I'm wondering if I can dump items that might be useful in Jensen's apartment for later use. Or once I leave, can I not return?

Yes, as the story progresses. Yes to the latter question as well.

Ken said:
Yes, as the story progresses. Yes to the latter question as well.

I'm afraid to highlight that, in case it spoils something I'd rather it didn't. Are you at all able to give a non-spoilered answer, even if it's a bit vague?

Thanks for answering, by the way.

Ken

Shotgun Kiss said:
I'm afraid to highlight that, in case it spoils something I'd rather it didn't. Are you at all able to give a non-spoilered answer, even if it's a bit vague?

Thanks for answering, by the way.

Yes to both of your original questions.

Is it possible to revisit areas? I'm wondering if I can dump items that might be useful in Jensen's apartment for later use.

Korigama said:
Out of curiosity, did you (spoilers for final mission)
blow up the robot in the hangar early on at Panchaea by any chance? I gave up on bothering with it because the explosion kept hitting the camera behind it as well, setting off the alarm. Since it won't move unless you bother it anyway, I just left it alone.

I did exactly that. I suspected at the time, but when i finished and didnt get it, i went back to replay that whole section.

MaddenNFL64

Noisepurge said:
on bosses:

I just drop two UR DED explosives at their feet and fire off a couple of Magnum shots to the face and they go down. Bosses just have a lot of health compared to normal guys, you can do a perfect stealth run but be prepared and carry something heavier for these.

I carried a combat rifle on my first, then a shotgun, just for the bosses. They did the job, but it felt so unnecessary.

The 10mm pistols damage is quite high.

frags do help a ton though.

Just got to the first boss. I can see why people say they're the weak point of the game. Ugh.

I'm guessing they don't count against you for the Foxiest of the Hounds achievement (beat the game without setting off any alarms)? I've been making a point of reloading whenever I'm in "Hostile" mode, but that's unavoidable in a boss fight.

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
Suggestion for people experiencing stuttering in their game: have Steam defrag your game cache. This might fix any stuttering you have, or at the very least noticeably reduce it.

Replicant

FML. I was halfway through the Kervokian mission thing when I realized that I accidentally killed one of the goons by throwing him into a ditch to hide his body. How can anyone die from being thrown from that height. It's like throwing someone from a table to a floor. Shit, now I have to redo the whole thing again. The worse thing is that it made me wonder if I made the same blunder with some of the other soldiers/goons.

In a better news, I now own this nifty piece of metal:

U78jh.gif

Clevinger

Replicant said:
FML. I was halfway through the Kervokian mission thing when I realized that I accidentally killed one of the goons by throwing him into a ditch to hide his body. How can anyone die from being thrown from that height. It's like throwing someone from a table to a floor.

It's possible to die from almost any decent hit to the head, let alone smacking it on the ground with all your weight.

Doesn't really fit in with video game logic, though.

Dibbz

Just finished the game. It's 4am here and I don't really get the story at the end.
Why was Megan working with the other scientists. In fact why the hell was she still alive? So the whole thing was planned that they would be kidnapped and would work for this other company? Did she want that? Was she just fucking around with Adam? Also who is Bob, after the end credits? Some sort of reference to DX1 or something?

Game was pretty good but I thought there would be more to do in the cities and the fact Montreal was just a mission was a let down. I hadn't really been following the game but I knew there were 3 locations. I just figured they would be big sprawling areas.

Boss fights were a let down. Not really anything special. I got stuck on the 3rd boss for ages. I wasted like every gun I had and emptied the cabinets around the room and someone with only 2 shots left in my revolver finished it. Oh also the 2nd boss was a bit of a pain because the electricity would get me. I tried looking for somewhere safe the stand but couldn't find anywhere. I think someone mentioned there is an aug to allow you to pass through electricity. Which one was that? I tried looking but didn't see any.

Dibbz said:
Just finished the game. It's 4am here and I don't really get the story at the end.
Why was Megan working with the other scientists. In fact why the hell was she still alive? So the whole thing was planned that they would be kidnapped and would work for this other company? Did she want that? Was she just fucking around with Adam? Also who is Bob, after the end credits? Some sort of reference to DX1 or something?

Megan and the other scientists were kidnapped by the Illuminati in order to do research on that new biochip, and to prevent Sarif Industries from having access to the advanced augmentation that would lead from Megan's research. Remember, Tai Yong Medical was directly under the thumb of the Illuminati, but David resisted them. They don't want anyone else to have that power.

The way I saw it, she was kidnapped, but then developed somewhat of a Stockholm syndrome (all of the scientists did I think, with the exception of Sevchencko). They were initially mistreated, stuck in those pods, carried around to different areas. But then they're taken to Singapore where they have nearly unlimited resources to continue their research under the close eye of the Illuminiati -- and particularly Darrow. After several months they begin to think that it's not that bad, they have such great resources to do their research.

Megan, I think, was the one most caught up into that. Between Darrow and Jaron she had pretty much entirely switched her allegiance. I don't think she WANTED to escape, at all.

Bob in the credits is Bob Page. He's the main antagonist in DX1. He was originally in the Illuminati, but formed a splinter group called Majestic 12.

Are those for windows 7 only, or can they be used on vista?

I'm pretty sure there are versions of Rocket Dock and Rainmeter for Vista.

Dibbz

Thanks for trying to explain that to me. I find it a little bit anti-climactic that through the whole game you are
trying to find out what happened in the incident and why only to find everyone is basically fine and working for another company. It didn't help that when you actually find Megan she runs off and you don't see her again. I mean what the hell. I went through everything to see if she was still alive and they let her run off without saying anything significant. Such a shame.

Oh and someone mentioned it a few pages back but the games peak for me was
Upper Hengsha
After that it went a bit too crazy.

Dibbz said:
Thanks for trying to explain that to me. I find it a little bit anti-climactic that through the whole game you are
trying to find out what happened in the incident and why only to find everyone is basically fine and working for another company. It didn't help that when you actually find Megan she runs off and you don't see her again. I mean what the hell. I went through everything to see if she was still alive and they let her run off without saying anything significant. Such a shame.

Oh and someone mentioned it a few pages back but the games peak for me was
Upper Hengsha
After that it went a bit too crazy.

Yeah, I'll definitely agree with you on a lot of that.
I think the moment where you actually meet up with Megan again was pretty poignant. Especially the part when Adam "takes off" his sunglasses. lol

All of Hengsha was the highlight for me, but it definitely did seem to decrease in quality after that. As a whole I did enjoy the story though, especially a lot of the characters. Oddly enough, most of the "main" characters (with the exception of Adam, I would say) were pretty poorly characterized, I thought. Zhao, the bosses, Darrow, Megan...David was interesting (albeit annoying) and I liked Pritchard and Malik was awesome. Where the game really shined in my opinion was in the minor characters. Megan's mother, Wayne Haas, that DPD undercover lady you deal with on that one sidequest, Zelazney, etc. Oh, and I thought Isais and Zeke were pretty interesting, and Bob Taggart wasn't bad either.

Why they didn't give that same level of care to, say, the bosses is beyond me. There was very little tension around defeating the bosses, since we really had no emotional connection to who they were, either way.

MaddenNFL64

The endings are just unsatisfying, and yes the characterization of most of the main actors are poor. Taggart was the best of them by far imo. Sarif, Darrow, Reed, just poor. Zhao - lmao.

Pritchard was cool. Malik was like Jock from DX1. Great pilot who contributed to the plot. I liked her.

edit: oh and
The Hyron project is the prototype for the Icarus/Daedalus>Helios>J.C Denton merge. Well it was meant for Bob Page, but ya.

Kazzy

Shotgun Kiss said:
Just got to the first boss. I can see why people say they're the weak point of the game. Ugh.

I'm guessing they don't count against you for the Foxiest of the Hounds achievement (beat the game without setting off any alarms)? I've been making a point of reloading whenever I'm in "Hostile" mode, but that's unavoidable in a boss fight.

No, you're completely fine for bosses. I just used the 'Ghost' and 'Smooth Operator' points as reference as to whether I was still on track, depending on the nature of the mission though they aren't always available so don't be too paranoid.

Replicant

Watanabe Kazuma said:
No, you're completely fine for bosses. I just used the 'Ghost' and 'Smooth Operator' points as reference as to whether I was still on track, depending on the nature of the mission though they aren't always available so don't be too paranoid.
If I got 'Ghost' but not 'Smooth operator' does that mean I botched something? It's FEMA warehouse. I don't think I trip any alarm, thus the 'Ghost' achievement but why didn't I get 'Smooth operator'?

Kazzy

Replicant said:
If I got 'Ghost' but not 'Smooth operator' does that mean I botched something? It's FEMA warehouse. I don't think I trip any alarm, thus the 'Ghost' achievement but why didn't I get 'Smooth operator'?

Ghost is earned by getting through a hostile area without raising any alarms, you should be fine. I had the same happen to me quite often too, just remember that both are not always available/awarded.

Dibbz

Just wondering what would happen if you choose to go to a limb clinic towards the end of the game
when your system starts getting all screwed? I choose not to go because I thought they were up to something and I was right but I was wondering at the end when they try to shut you down does the game end right there if you got the new biochip?

MaddenNFL64

Dibbz said:
Just wondering what would happen if you choose to go to a limb clinic towards the end of the game
when your system starts getting all screwed? I choose not to go because I thought they were up to something and I was right but I was wondering at the end when they try to shut you down does the game end right there if you got the new biochip?

nah, you fight without augs & a screwed up screen against Namir. It's actually really fun. Played it on hard, and shit was intense when it happened hah. later on, Megan fixes the problem for you, so its all good.

Mako_Drug

Dibbz said:

Nah, you just have to fight the boss with no augs and your vision all jacked up.
It sucks!

Dibbz said:
The third boss fight is a complete pain because you lose access to all of your augs and the HUD is gone. In the scene with Megan she injects you with some kind of drug that makes you immune to the effects of the everybody-go-crazy signal.

Top Bottom