• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Deus Ex: Human Revolution |OT| I never asked for this... It gave me lemon-lime

Chairhome

Finally gonna start playing this on PC this week. Do you guys recommend kbm or 360 controller? Any other recommendations on patches or anything i may be missing?

webrunner

Just finished
Shanghai
, I was wondering how that ended if you don't
save Malik? Who picks you up? In what helecopter? do you have to fight the dudes there?

GhostRidah said:
Best pic ever

uI66Mh.jpg

lol

nssuw.png

Get it while it's hot.

nel e nel

John Harker said:
Just got it. Am I doing something wrong? How do I pop out of cover when I'm crouching? Whenever I release L, I'm just crouching again. How do I stay behind cover and pop up to fire? This is annoying.

Might I suggest changing your cover settings to toggle? That's how I played the entire game because I wanted to avoid carpal tunnel from holding down LT for 50 hours.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
The new beta drivers for nvidia are supposed to fix the stuttering issues.

I tried the driver itself, and it's stable and whatnot but I do not have DX installed anymore so I can't try it out.

nel e nel

GhaleonEB said:
Two questions.

I have found a few weapon upgrades (laser scope, ammo clip increase), but neither can be used on my tranquilizer gun. I've put them on a combat rifle I will either use as fall back weapon or sell, if those upgrades increased the value. But since I'm doing a (mostly) stealth/non-killing route, I'm really wondering whether l will I ever get upgrades for my tranq gun?

Yeah, as was said earlier, there are only a couple of upgrades for the tranq gun, but if you go into your inventory and 'EXAMINE' the upgrades, they give not only a description but tell you which weapons they can be used on.

JoeMartin

I cheesed every single boss in this game within the first 10 seconds by pounding them in the head with the lolgoesthruarmor 10mm pistol. Seriously, thing more or less breaks the game. Makes no sound? Check. 100% accurate? Check. Completely ignores armor? Check. :aims at heads:

v0v

MaddenNFL64

JoeMartin said:
I cheesed every single boss in this game within the first 10 seconds by pounding them in the head with the lolgoesthruarmor 10mm pistol. Seriously, thing more or less breaks the game. Makes no sound? Check. 100% accurate? Check. Completely ignores armor? Check. :aims at heads:

v0v

Yep, broken weapon. Seems alot of my favorite games lately have stupid fucking overpowered pistols.

Bloodsent

Finished it last night, probably my favorite game of the year so far, but with a strong lineup of games coming up here, that might change. I will continue to enjoy it though. Bring on the DLC!

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
JoeMartin said:
Seriously, thing more or less breaks the game. Makes no sound? Check. 100% accurate? Check. Completely ignores armor? Check. :aims at heads:
Pretty much. I'm starting my third playthrough (loud and murderous), and even though I wanted to try out the machine pistol and combat rifle, I find myself going back to the pistol every time because it's just better.

GeoramA

Platinum'd

Got Pacifist, Foxiest of the Hounds, and Legend all in my second playthrough. So much better the second time you play.

Game is okay but not loving it so far, it's a game that strongly pushes you to be stealthy shown by the experience points given out and the scarcity of ammo. But it's not that fun doing constant trial and error looking at very long loading screens.

nel e nel said:
Might I suggest changing your cover settings to toggle? That's how I played the entire game because I wanted to avoid carpal tunnel from holding down LT for 50 hours.

This. Took me about an hour of playing before I realized I could toggle.

MaddenNFL64

upJTboogie said:
Game is okay but not loving it so far, it's a game that strongly pushes you to be stealthy shown by the experience points given out and the scarcity of ammo. But it's not that fun doing constant trial and error looking at very long loading screens.

No need to trial & error so much. Every patrol, or pack of enemies has blind spots, just watch them, and spot the openings. game was made that way. if it's too hard, get your stealth & energy bar upgraded. Bam, you can sneak to better ambush spots & have your fun.

By the second playthrough, you are just fucking up 6-7 guys in an area without stealth. Yes, it's just like playing MGS, or Splinter Cell. Knowledge is THE power, but it still feels bad ass.

MNC

Getting so frustrated with my hangs before and after FMV sequences. Reinstalled the game, hopefully stops this.

gdt

Just finished this, over all a great game. I kinda hated
Panchea
though. Who the fuck thought that was a good idea.

Will certainly make my top 10.

Edit: Watched 3 endings, saving the 4th for a replay.

Carbonox

In the penthouse in TYM, where the alarm is sounded and plenty of enemies bowl in, it stayed at Alarm level. I chucked a gas grenade and it went to Hostile. Chucked another one to finish the rest off. Does this count against my Foxiest run? Or are they allowed to be hostile.

MaddenNFL64 said:
No need to trial & error so much. Every patrol, or pack of enemies has blind spots, just watch them, and spot the openings. game was made that way. if it's too hard, get your stealth & energy bar upgraded. Bam, you can sneak to better ambush spots & have your fun.

By the second playthrough, you are just fucking up 6-7 guys in an area without stealth. Yes, it's just like playing MGS, or Splinter Cell. Knowledge is THE power, but it still feels bad ass.
I've been getting better at stealth after I made that post, game is getting more enjoyable now. This first boss is pretty shitty though.

Carbonox_Ratchet said:
In the penthouse in TYM, where the alarm is sounded and plenty of enemies bowl in, it stayed at Alarm level. I chucked a gas grenade and it went to Hostile. Chucked another one to finish the rest off. Does this count against my Foxiest run? Or are they allowed to be hostile.

youre fine

955 Black Edition @ 3.8ghz
6950 2gb
8gb RAM

I have everything on max and it fluctuates between 60 and 30fps depending on where I am. What's going on? The game looks pretty bad so it shouldn't be taxing? I was expecting a solid 60.

A four hour session has been brought to an end due to the first boss. Far too annoying to try and do at 6am.

Great game, though. Ugly graphics and horribly encoded cutscenes... those are my only complaints.

GhaleonEB

Including boss battles at all was a poor decision, but that first one was particularly dumb.

After spending a couple hours (!!) sneaking into a through a wonderfully large facility, the cinematic has my player character walk out in the open, let someone walk up behind him, and stand there while he gets punched. As a player I'd never do something that stupid, and it was frustrating to watch.

Then the battle begins, with the tank dude standing right in front of me, in a small open room, with cover on the sides. After the prolonged stealth and ranged combat of the previous sequence, they cram a close quarters action scene down my throat. The game mechanics are deliberately ugly when it comes to combat, so this was an unwelcome setup for an encounter.

After many deaths, I took him out by first tossing an EMP grenade, plugging him with four sniper rounds while I strafed behind, dropping a frag grenade on him since he apparently couldn't see me walk around him, and then finishing him off with another clip or two of sniper fire from the other side of the room.

After a truly masterful setup - getting into and then meticulously clearing the facility was freaking awesome - that boss battle was nothing but ugly. I'm guessing there are at least 2-3 more, and I'm dreading them if this first one was any indication.

What came before it was great, so I'm hoping that's an indicator of what's to come next.

Wallach

GhaleonEB said:
Including boss battles at all was a poor decision, but that first one was particularly dumb.

After spending a couple hours (!!) sneaking into a through a wonderfully large facility, the cinematic has my player character walk out in the open, let someone walk up behind him, and stand there while he gets punched. As a player I'd never do something that stupid, and it was frustrating to watch.

Then the battle begins, with the tank dude standing right in front of me, in a small open room, with cover on the sides. After the prolonged stealth and ranged combat of the previous sequence, they cram a close quarters action scene down my throat. The game mechanics are deliberately ugly when it comes to combat, so this was an unwelcome setup for an encounter.

After many deaths, I took him out by first tossing an EMP grenade, plugging him with four sniper rounds while I strafed behind, dropping a frag grenade on him since he apparently couldn't see me walk around him, and then finishing him off with another clip or two of sniper fire from the other side of the room.

After a truly masterful setup - getting into and then meticulously clearing the facility was freaking awesome - that boss battle was nothing but ugly. I'm guessing there are at least 2-3 more, and I'm dreading them if this first one was any indication.

What game before it was great, so I'm hoping that's an indicator of what's to come next.

Honest advice, spend the three Praxis points and get level 2 Typhoon even if only for these boss fights. It gives you a button you can just mash and beat them all without any kind of effort. It's as close as you can get to just skipping the boss fights entirely if you don't like them.

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
Been playing the game for a good 12-14 hours now and I am severely disappointed in the lack of weapon variety. It's getting tiresome hacking into safes and closets and seeing the same old 10mm pistol, shotgun, and combat rifle. What makes it especially annoying is that the pistol is unbalanced compared to every other weapon.

GhaleonEB

Wallach said:
Honest advice, spend the three Praxis points and get level 2 Typhoon even if only for these boss fights. It gives you a button you can just mash and beat them all without any kind of effort. It's as close as you can get to just skipping the boss fights entirely if you don't like them.
I will take this advice. I wasn't planning to touch the Typhoon upgrade - legs are next on my list - but after that fight...sure, I'll go that route. :)

MrOogieBoogie said:
Been playing the game for a good 12-14 hours now and I am severely disappointed in the lack of weapon variety. It's getting tiresome hacking into safes and closets and seeing the same old 10mm pistol, shotgun, and combat rifle. What makes it especially annoying is that the pistol is unbalanced compared to every other weapon.

Stun gun, tranquilizer rifle, pistol, revolver, shotgun, P.E.P.s, multiple grenade types, crossbow, rocket launcher, combat rifle, heavy rifle, laser and plasma rifles, sniper rifles. Plus a few extra weapons if you got preorder bonuses.

Of course, a few of those weapons you never even get until near the end of the game, and they have so little ammo as to be nearly useless. The lack of cool melee weapons is a disappointment. I would say there's a good variety of weapons, but a lot of them have so little ammo as to be nearly useless. anyway.

I was fairly happy with the weapon choices, but a bit disappointed with the variety. Still, I loved my non-lethal weapons. PEPs + Stun Gun + Gas Grenades + Tranquilizer Rifle + Non-lethal takedowns. Very awesome. Much more satisfying then the Baton + Prod + Mini-Crossbow combo that you had in the first, in my opinion.

Lethal weapons, though...the first definitely had more options for different weapons, even if the shooting mechanics were pretty poor.

Still, there are some pretty fun weapons in this game regardless.

Replicant

I just found out the (big) difference between Typhoon level 1 and Typhoon level 2. Typhoon level 1 didn't seem to make any dent on the 1st boss even after 3 use. So I thought it's fucking useless. Last night, however, I upgraded it to Typhoon level 2. And LOL 2 spins and boss number 2 went kaput right away.

Lothars

Replicant said:
I just found out the difference between Typhoon level 1 and Typhoon level 2. Typhoon level 1 didn't seem to make any dent on the 1st boss even after 3 use. So I thought it's fucking useless. Last night, however, I upgraded it to Typhoon level 2. And LOL 2 spins and boss number 2 went kaput right away.
Yeah It's a cheaper way to beat the bosses but that's how I did it, I just used Typhoon level 2 and it worked well, Like you said it's basically an auto win maneuver.

Replicant

Lothars said:
Yeah It's a cheaper way to beat the bosses but that's how I did it, I just used Typhoon level 2 and it worked well, Like you said it's basically an auto win maneuver.
The thing is, after the 1st spin I wasn't sure if it'd work so I tried to shoot all the electric cables, hoping to electrocute her (I have anti-electricity aug already). But as it turns out it was unnecessary. I saw her sneaked towards me and I automatically hit Typhoon just to minimize any possible damage she might caused me. Lo and behold, she ended up dead.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
MrOogieBoogie said:

that's because you probably never dig deeper. Have you been in the armoury at the police station?

MaddenNFL64

Wallach said:

More advice. Just use a pistol with armor piercing, and laser sight. Chuck gas or EMP to stun & go to town (there are gas canisters nearby, as well as explosive barrels, use those too is you like).

Korigama

Finished it on Give Me a Challenge for my first playthrough, earned both Pacifist and Foxiest of the Hounds. Watched all four endings, in the order of (MAJOR SPOILERS)
lol, everyone dies --> Darrow confession --> Taggart spin --> Sarif spin.
Preferred the
Sarif ending
, but ultimately felt they were all fairly weak compared to the rest of the game. Overall, though, this is my most likely pick for GOTY. Looking forward to DLC, and being able to kill people other than bosses next time.

That said, there were a couple of late game concerns I had that made me wonder if I screwed up my Pacifist run. Neither of them were a problem (spoilers for both the second to last area and for the final boss).

1./
If you managed to save Malik earlier, she'll EMP the crazy spec ops soldiers standing on the helipad at the end of the Singapore mission, killing them. This will not count against you.

2./
During the final boss fight against Zhao in the Hyron room, there will be more crazy soldiers who come out in the second half of the fight. As long as you use non-lethal methods to put them down when fighting them yourself, you'll be okay, even if Zhao winds up killing them by electrifying the ground.

Top Bottom