• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Deus Ex: Human Revolution |OT| I never asked for this... It gave me lemon-lime

MaddenNFL64

Watanabe Kazuma said:
Ghost is earned by getting through a hostile area without raising any alarms, you should be fine. I had the same happen to me quite often too, just remember that both are not always available/awarded.

Smooth operator is for no alarms. Ghost is for not being seen. No alarmed states, suspicious, etc.

Just finished the game last night. Spectacular game indeed. Entire game made me feel LIKE A BOSS.

The ending I chose was
suicide
. Fuck Yeah, I have faith in humanity!

garath

Replicant said:
FML. I was halfway through the Kervokian mission thing when I realized that I accidentally killed one of the goons by throwing him into a ditch to hide his body. How can anyone die from being thrown from that height. It's like throwing someone from a table to a floor. Shit, now I have to redo the whole thing again. The worse thing is that it made me wonder if I made the same blunder with some of the other soldiers/goons.

In a better news, I now own this nifty piece of metal:

U78jh.gif

Aha! You just gave me the answer to my lack of a pacifist achievement!

There was a part in a game that I was nervous someone would find the unconscious body of a guard so I threw him down an elevator shaft. Undoubtedly that killed him haha.

Well I feel better knowing where that happened now. Thanks :)

Andrew.

Banned
Bout to fight the second boss...some chick i think...i got a shotty...fully upgraded 10mm with armor piercing rounds and no typhoon....any advice...or am i screwed?

Aconn1283 said:
Bout to fight the second boss...some chick i think...i got a shotty...fully upgraded 10mm with armor piercing rounds and no typhoon....any advice...or am i screwed?

Do you have the Aug that protects from EMPs/Electricity?
It's in the armor tree. It helps a lot.

MaddenNFL64

Aconn1283 said:

Cake. Stun gun will make this easy as hell. If not, just toss a stun/emp/gas, then some frags, and fill her full of lead.

The bosses are easy.

Aconn1283 said:
You're never screwed.
When the fight starts she will rush you and do a crazy ground-pound type attack. To avoid it all you have to do is run straight at her and keep running until she finishes her attack. That guarantees that you're out of her range. As soon as she does the attack you will have an opportunity to fight back so use an EMP grenade or a non-lethal weapon to stun her and then unload with the shotgun. If you don't have any grenades or non-lethal weapons just shoot her as much as you can and then run away. The next thing to do is pick up supplies from the drawers on the outside walls of the room. There are a bunch of EMP mines that you can lay around to stun her.

The most important thing to remember is run past her when she charges, it makes things a lot easier. If she tries to shoot you just quickly find a spot where a wall is in between the two of you.

You can also shoot power cells on the walls to electrocute the water on the floor of the room and damage her, just make sure you are on the dry metal platform or you have the aug that makes you invincible to damage from electricity when you try it.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
RibbedHero said:
Are these loading screen ads for real?

I don't have any ads in my copy of the game (UK here), so I was just wondering if these are real or not.

Hm, i'll have to check this later today. I have the Steam version of the game and didn't see anything yesterday.(Canada here though, must be the same thing as people from US)

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
None on the PC version.

If this is true, this might be THE most disgusting thing I've ever seen. If they're putting up ads AND charging for dlc? I definitely will lose all interest in Thief 4

zoner said:
None on the PC version.

If this is true, this might be THE most disgusting thing I've ever seen. If they're putting up ads AND charging for dlc? I definitely will lose all interest in Thief 4

It's a 40 hour game and highly replayable, I see nothing wrong about charging for DLC, stop being a cheapskate.

ctrayne

zoner said:
I agree that this sucks, but losing all interest in Thief 4 at the drop of a hat seems like an overreaction. I love DXHR and I hope this crap is removed if it really is in there.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
BIONIC-ARRRMMM!! said:
It's a 40 hour game and highly replayable, I see nothing wrong about charging for DLC, stop being a cheapskate.
You see nothing wrong with a company getting both ad revenue and then charging for content on top of that?

garath

Cuban Legend said:
"just gonna hide this guard's unconscious body down here"

:chucks him down Spartan bottomless elevator shaft:

:lol

Yeah. I'm not quite sure what I was thinking at that moment other than "Oooh look. This is a great place to hide the body. No one will look here"

rofl

Dresden

zoner said:
None on the PC version.

You haven't seen much of the world then. Might want to turn safesearch off and go nuts on Google sometime.

ctrayne

Dresden said:
You haven't seen much of the world then. Might want to turn safesearch off and go nuts on Google sometime.
I kind of wanted to say this, but I lack your eloquence. The ads do suck, but it's not the end of the world (but you can see it from here.) :)

Famassu said:
Do you boycot every movie ever made?
Seriously. I don't see why this is a big deal, the ads aren't even intrusive, they're small and on a loading screen. That's pretty tasteful compared to what we see in most entertainment related products.

Kazzy

MaddenNFL64 said:
Smooth operator is for no alarms. Ghost is for not being seen. No alarmed states, suspicious, etc.

Well my point still stands about the Foxiest of the Hounds achievement :)

I actually thought that would be the hardest challenge through the game, its probably Pacifist though.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
Haven't seen any ads and wouldn't mind them. It's not like loading screens carry any gameplay value.

AEREC

The_Darkest_Red said:
Seriously. I don't see why this is a big deal, the ads aren't even intrusive, they're small and on a loading screen. That's pretty tasteful compared to what we see in most entertainment related products.

People play games to get away from reality sometimes, especially people who would play a story driven game like Deus Ex...why would they want to see an ad that has nothing to do with the game that only serves to pull them out of the immersion.

Anyways this has to be a joke or something..because I would be furious if I saw this shit while playing Deus Ex HR.

AEREC

subversus said:
like movies they watch on TV...

Sure, but it's less prevalent in games. In TV it's been around forever so it's just something we accept. And ads before movies are commonplace but they never interrupt the movie unless it's blatant product placement.

Just because it's commonplace in other forms of media doesnt mean we need it in games.

Davidion

Watanabe Kazuma said:
Well my point still stands about the Foxiest of the Hounds achievement :)

I actually thought that would be the hardest challenge through the game, its probably Pacifist though.

I imagine Pacifist should be much easier, all you have to do is use nothing but takedowns, and/or tranq/stun.

Kazzy

Davidion said:
I imagine Pacifist should be much easier, all you have to do is use nothing but takedowns, and/or tranq/stun.

I did, but like others have mentioned in here the lack of any in-game information stops you from knowing when 'accidental' deaths occur.

I was positive I completed the game without killing anyone but never got the achievement.

AEREC said:
People play games to get away from reality sometimes, especially people who would play a story driven game like Deus Ex....
Seriously? It's a load screen. How does a load screen with a tiny logo in the corner "pull you out of the immersion" any more than a load screen?

afternoon delight said:
Holy fuck there are people that defend advertising added in through patches.

You people will like anything.
If the ads were actually located in the game world it would bother me quite a bit, but to me this seems like a small enough issue that I can brush it aside as being purely negligible.

How you can possibly jump from that to "you people will like anything" is beyond me.

Watanabe Kazuma said:
I did, but like others have mentioned in here the lack of any in-game information stops you from knowing when 'accidental' deaths occur.

I was positive I completed the game without killing anyone but never got the achievement.
You just have to train yourself to check each unconscious enemy before leaving the area. If you see the skull then you know you screwed up. It's not ideal but it's better than nothing. That said, this game is definitely lacking a nice stats screen.

ctrayne

afternoon delight said:
You people will like anything.
Definitely not OK with the ads. Love the game though. I can't imagine the devs sat down and thought loading screen ads would be cool. I'd assume the suits wanted the ads in.
I keep hearing mixed reports on this - lots of people not getting ads at all. I do hope the backlash is strong enough that they trash the idea. Not classy.

AEREC

The_Darkest_Red said:
Seriously? It's a load screen. How does a load screen with a tiny logo in the corner "pull you out of the immersion" any more than a load screen?

If the ads were actually located in the game world it would bother me quite a bit, but to me this seems like a small enough issue that I can brush it aside as being purely negligible.

How you can possibly jump from that to "you people will like anything" is beyond me.

If you are ok with this maybe you wouldnt mind booting up a game and having to wait 10 minutes before you can play because you have to sit through ads. Or everytime you die in a multiplayer game you have to watch a commercial before you respawn.

Seriously...there is absolutely no reason to encourage ads in a game you paid for, and just saying "it's ok they dont bother me because they are on a loading screen" just means they are going to get worse later on.

It is incredibly stupid to be ok with this...unless you like being taken advantage of.

subversus

AEREC said:
If you are ok with this maybe you wouldnt mind booting up a game and having to wait 10 minutes before you can play because you have to sit through ads. Or everytime you die in a multiplayer game you have to watch a commercial before you respawn.

not even remotely the same case. First, loading screens don't take up any of my gaming time (I mean the game still works loading the level) and they're not intefering with action. I wouldn't mind one 30 sec ad every time I load the game, nothing is wrong with that.

AEREC

subversus said:
not even remotely the same case. First, loading screens don't take up any of my gaming time (I mean the game still works loading the level) and they're not intefering with action. I wouldn't mind one 30 sec ad every time I load the game, nothing is wrong with that.

You clearly missed my point, being ok with this will just leads to more methods of in-game advertising.

Honestly there is no reason to be Pro-in-game-advertising unless you are receiving money from it in some way.

Bisnic

subversus said:

Ads before Youtube videos(or any videos) are a piece of shit, it sometimes actually make me forget about watching the actual video.

30 secs ads before loading every games would be terrible.

subversus

AEREC said:
You clearly missed my point, being ok with this will just leads to more methods of in-game advertising.

Honestly there is no reason to be Pro-in-game-advertising unless you are receiving money from it in some way.

well, if the industry was swimming in money I wouldn't be pro-advertising. I know it's cool to be a pro-consumer these days, exercise consumer rights and so on but I prefer a different mindset - if it doesn't bother me one bit or I can easily deal with that, why not let people make money.

But I see why you can hate it and get your point. I would be bothered only if I saw FF14 ads in the game on some billboards. But loading screens don't bother me at all.

Bisnic said:
Ads before Youtube videos(or any videos) are a piece of shit, it sometimes actually make me forget about watching the actual video.

seriously? such short attention spans?

Bisnic

subversus said:
seriously? such short attention spans?

It depends on the video, if its a trailer or something, i can deal with it. But a 30 secs ad for a 15 sec simpson clip? Fuck no.

Top Bottom