• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Deus Ex: Human Revolution |OT| I never asked for this... It gave me lemon-lime

Went to Best Buy and tried the price match with the flyer, even though I had proof they had to check it online, then called the store, told me some bullshit about that not being the in store price of the 360 version so I couldn't get it for 35. I don't know if that's normal or not but it was a pretty long and unpleasant experience.

Got the PS3 version for 35 by taking an extra trip though, bad boy is installing now.

Rapture

Zenith said:
Except that means
Darrow's ending is the best as that gives everyone an accurate telling of events and allows them to decide for themselves whilst suicide ending hides the truth from everybody and no one knows any better vis-a-vis augs and the Illuminati.

sorry a little late on the response.

I agree
with the fact that revealing what Darrow did without bias, giving the people all the info and allowing them to choose based off that, is definitely a good way to go. But, i think i just agree more with the message the sacrifice ending was trying to get across which is that ordinary people should decide together, through democracy. The fate of Human evolution should lay with them and not fall victim to the agendas of corporations or secret cults. Maybe it's because i just like the idea of Augmentation haha.

Dave1988

GhaleonEB said:
Eh, I thought he just grabbed the guy threw him over to the side; I was semi-distracted at the time, listening to a conference call. It's my fault for not noticing the skull icon when I looted the guy.

At any rate, it frees me up to go the kill route when the situation warrants. And also, to kill some random hobos, which goes a long way with me.

You monster, you! :p

JohngPR

FrontalMonk said:
while we're talking about trouble with getting the pacifist achievement, I'm starting a pacifist run and had some questions about the last section of the game
In Panchaea, how the HELL do you avoid all those zombies? Their AI is horribly erratic, you can knock one out and then three down the hall switch into Hostile mode. I'm also trying for foxiest of hounds, btw.

Use the PEPS gun for crowd control, then run like hell.

ACE 1991

I'm about an hour or so in, and man is this game pretty underwhelming visually, even on PC. This is not to say it's not totally awesome so far, though!

Durante said:
I'm not 100% certain, but I read that the game has a pretty wide definition of what is "by your hand".

Yeah. If you tranq them and they fall from a huge height or into electricity it counts against you i read. That said, if any of you accidentially get a kill with a tranq shot due to a bug, dont worry. I had it happen to me early in my PS3 run through and still got the trophy.

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
Great game, ending kinda let me down
Press a button to pick an ending really? Just makes it feel my actions in game meant little to nothing.

Great life lesson, a shotgun blast to the face will solve just about every problem.

Warnen said:
Great game, ending kinda let me down
Press a button to pick an ending really? Just makes it feel my actions in game meant little to nothing.

Great life lesson, a shotgun blast to the face will solve just about every problem.

Yeah, at least
DX1 forced you to take a few different routes in the final level to achieve the different endings. Honestly, the entire last level seemed kind of rushed to me.

Oh well. I enjoyed the endings themselves, however.

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
I agree. I have a similar disappointment about the endings, but I feel the resulting
speeches by Jensen
were all very well done and made up for the
lack of branching level areas and objectives

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
Just got it. Am I doing something wrong? How do I pop out of cover when I'm crouching? Whenever I release L, I'm just crouching again. How do I stay behind cover and pop up to fire? This is annoying.

Korigama

John Harker said:
Just got it. Am I doing something wrong? How do I pop out of cover when I'm crouching? Whenever I release L, I'm just crouching again. How do I stay behind cover and pop up to fire? This is annoying.

Hold up on the left analog while sticking to cover (if a console version, it's the controls for movement either way).

John Harker said:
Keep L held down and push the left stick to the side or up to peek out of cover.

ScOULaris

I was doing the side mission given to you by the female operative on the roof on the second trip to Hengsha where you have to find some guy who's in hiding. I went into the backroom and took the pocket secretary off of the dead body. Even after reading the message on the pocket secretary, it still says that I need to read it for clues as to where he has been moved. No matter how many times I read it, it never gives me credit and opens up the next step of the mission.

Am I missing something here, or is this just a glitch and I'm screwed?

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
Just beat the first boss on Hard. Took a few tries, but on the last one I managed to defeat him without even being hit. Used a combination of EMP grenades, frag grenades, a shotgun to the temple, and, finally, a mine fragmentation that rendered him permanently useless.

I've heard how difficult he is--and he is, there's no question--but I've also heard people quitting the game in sheer frustration. Seems like a lot of people give up way too easily. Persistence is key, folks.

JohngPR

RedSwirl said:
Okay, so I just
saved Malik
, but when I EMP'd that mech a couple guys died in the explosion. Does that count?

Yes they do.
I ended up dragging them to safety to make sure they lived. LOL

Korigama

ScOULaris said:
I was doing the side mission given to you by the female operative on the roof on the second trip to Hengsha where you have to find some guy who's in hiding. I went into the backroom and took the pocket secretary off of the dead body. Even after reading the message on the pocket secretary, it still says that I need to read it for clues as to where he has been moved. No matter how many times I read it, it never gives me credit and opens up the next step of the mission.

Am I missing something here, or is this just a glitch and I'm screwed?

It's a glitch. Just head to
the sewers through the manhole in the storm drain across from the Alice Garden Pods
, you'll find who you're looking for there anyway.

RedSwirl said:
Okay, so I just
saved Malik
, but when I EMP'd that mech a couple guys died in the explosion. Does that count?
JohngPR said:
Yes they do.
I ended up dragging them to safety to make sure they lived. LOL
One other thing that can help is to shoot at the mech to make it back away a bit, then EMP it.
I just got lucky in not needing to move anyone first.

Ezduo

Banned
MrOogieBoogie said:
Just beat the first boss on Hard. Took a few tries, but on the last one I managed to defeat him without even being hit. Used a combination of EMP grenades, frag grenades, a shotgun to the temple, and, finally, a mine fragmentation that rendered him permanently useless.

I've heard how difficult he is--and he is, there's no question--but I've also heard people quitting the game in sheer frustration. Seems like a lot of people give up way too easily. Persistence is key, folks.
The bosses in this game were weird to me.
I died on all of them at least once (most on the first and second, only once on the third) but while they would always dominate me the first few times I'd randomly figure out a way to kill them in 10 seconds after a few rounds. For the first guy I got him stuck in a corner, exploded the gas tanks and hit him with the shotgun until he threw some grenades out and died when I assume one of his own grenades exploded next to him (I was halfway across the room and facing a wall when the cutscene of his death randomly started up, was so confusing). Entire fight lasted maybe 30 seconds. The second boss killed me until I got tired of her shit and used an unspent augment point on the one that keeps me from being electrocuted. Then I just waited until she got shocked and killed her with my upgraded shotgun. Took about a minute to beat. Third guy was the easiest, I died the first time but the second time I just whipped out the grenade launcher and killed him no more than 10 seconds into the fight. First grenade stunned him and I just let loose until the cutscene started up. Very underwhelming.

Man, I suck. The first boss has killed me 20 times in a row. Any tips on how to beat him? I've been upgrading my hacking & exploring/inventory skills which aren't exactly helpful here.

I've read that I need to pick up the EMPs in the corner rooms but I'm already at 25% health by the time I get there.

Korigama

PalaceBrother said:
Man, I suck. The first boss has killed me 20 times in a row. Any tips on how to beat him? I've been upgrading my hacking & exploring/inventory skills which aren't exactly helpful here.

I've read that I need to pick up the EMPs in the corner rooms but I'm already at 25% health by the time I get there.

If you have a stun gun, you could use that to short him out temporarily, locking him in place for attack (ideally going for headshots, or otherwise bombarding him with explosives).

CatPee

Huh, were people really having that much trouble on the first boss? I just tossed 2 frag grenades at his feet and used 1 Typhoon. This was on Give Me Deus Ex too.

PalaceBrother said:

Throw stuff at him.

Honestly, that works out pretty well. Throw those explosive barrels at him. Then shoot him in the face with your shotgun over and over while he's recovering, then run for cover until his gun has to cool down and do it over again. Also: grenades work well.

That's what I did, at least. Worked pretty well for me.

dankir

RedSwirl said:
Okay, so I just
saved Malik

As long as you don't kill the soldiers you're fine. I did just that and the mech blew up, taking out everybody basically and I got the achievement for pacifist yesterday.

GhaleonEB

Two questions.

I have found a few weapon upgrades (laser scope, ammo clip increase), but neither can be used on my tranquilizer gun. I've put them on a combat rifle I will either use as fall back weapon or sell, if those upgrades increased the value. But since I'm doing a (mostly) stealth/non-killing route, I'm really wondering whether l will I ever get upgrades for my tranq gun?

Also, when I completed the side quest to investigate the death of a woman's daughter, I didn't (minor quest spoiler)
have a high enough hacking skill to access the safe in the police storage locker. I completed the quest, and have since gone back to it with my newly beefy hacking skills, and found a bracelet in it. Is that related to the side quest, and is thus useless now that it's completed? It's in my quest items and I'm wondering if it will ever be useful or if it's going to just sit there.

dankir

GhaleonEB said:
Two questions.

I have found a few weapon upgrades (laser scope, ammo clip increase), but neither can be used on my tranquilizer gun. I've put them on a combat rifle I will either use as fall back weapon or sell, if those upgrades increased the value. But since I'm doing a (mostly) stealth/non-killing route, I'm really wondering whether l will I ever get upgrades for my tranq gun?

Also, when I completed the side quest to investigate the death of a woman's daughter, I didn't (minor quest spoiler)
have a high enough hacking skill to access the safe in the police storage locker. I completed the quest, and have since gone back to it with my newly beefy hacking skills, and found a bracelet in it. Is that related to the side quest, and is thus useless now that it's completed? It's in my quest items and I'm wondering if it will ever be useful or if it's going to just sit there.

There's an achievement associated with that bracelet. Once you complete the quest you can opt to give it to Megan's mother or keep it for yourself. If you lie and keep it you get an achievement. It has no other value than that. That said I'm pretty sure you have to have had the bracelet in your possession when you complete the quest to get the achievement.

The only upgrades for your tranq gun I believe are faster reload and possibly higher ammo capacity.

Upgrade a lethal gun for the boss fights at least. Like the revolver or 10 MM pistol seeing that you're doing a stealth run.

GhaleonEB

dankir said:
There's an achievement associated with that bracelet. Once you complete the quest you can opt to give it to Megan's mother or keep it for yourself. If you lie and keep it you get an achievement. It has no other value than that. That said I'm pretty sure you have to have had the bracelet in your possession when you complete the quest to get the achievement.
Yup, I just talked to her and she just said thanks, no dialog options. I don't like that I obtained it, and she's still there, but it's useless. I should be able to offer it to her and notch the achievement.

Are the pistols you mentioned more stealthy than the other guns?

CatPee said:
Huh, were people really having that much trouble on the first boss? I just tossed 2 frag grenades at his feet and used 1 Typhoon. This was on Give Me Deus Ex too.

He didnt even touch me, couple of frags and shotgun to the face took care of him quickly, I was like wtf after hearing people complain about him, actually all the bosses were pretty damn easy imo.

Korigama

GhaleonEB said:
Yup, I just talked to her and she just said thanks, no dialog options. I don't like that I obtained it, and she's still there, but it's useless. I should be able to offer it to her and notch the achievement.

Are the pistols you mentioned more stealthy than the other guns?

A 10mm is (can be silenced), a revolver is not. The latter is more suited for if you need a hard-hitting lethal weapon that doesn't take up much space.

GhaleonEB

Korigama said:
A 10mm is (can be silenced), a revolver is not. The latter is more suited for if you need a hard-hitting lethal weapon that doesn't take up much space.
I'll keep on one hand. Just as soon as I expand my inventory - just found the freaking sniper rifle (though it sure wasn't mine to begin with, lol). Now I just need ammo.

Speaking of which, aside from the dude right near the beginning of the hub, does anyone else sell ammo? I picked up 10 tranq darts from him and haven't found any in the entire city since.

I do love that I could enter and clear the northern section of the downtown without a quest attached. Now that I have one, I just waltzed right in, everyone still dozing in their corners. I felt so boss walking through like I owned the place, surveying my work.

I also love that (first mission conclusion spoiler)
my decision to let Zeke go had a very nice payoff just now.

Ken

GhaleonEB said:
Aside from the dude right near the beginning of the hub, does anyone else sell ammo? I picked up 10 tranq darts from him and haven't found any in the entire city since.

Are you in Detroit? There's two vendors IIRC, though I never needed to purchase ammo from them in my games.

GhaleonEB said:

You can see what weapon upgrades and how many upgrades each gun can receive by examining it in your inventory.

IIRC the only weapon mod the tranq rifle can get is an aim assist.

Bliddo

Done

steam.png

xbox.png

You can say that I kinda liked it

Jerk

Banned
dankir said:

The only upgrades for your tranq gun I believe are faster reload and possibly higher ammo capacity.

Upgrade a lethal gun for the boss fights at least. Like the revolver or 10 MM pistol seeing that you're doing a stealth run.

The tranq has 2-3 reloads and a special tracking upgrade.

Havok

GhaleonEB said:
I'll keep on one hand. Just as soon as I expand my inventory - just found the freaking sniper rifle (though it sure wasn't mine to begin with, lol). Now I just need ammo.

Speaking of which, aside from the dude right near the beginning of the hub, does anyone else sell ammo? I picked up 10 tranq darts from him and haven't found any in the entire city since.

I do love that I could enter and clear the northern section of the downtown without a quest attached. Now that I have one, I just waltzed right in, everyone still dozing in their corners. I felt so boss walking through like I owned the place, surveying my work.

I also love that (first mission conclusion spoiler)
my decision to let Zeke go had a very nice payoff just now.
The 10mm pistol becomes a monster after just a few upgrades. Laser sight, damage upgrade, silencer - you'll be golden for the rest of the game.

And I know your game tastes. If you're still doing your constant reload after every mistake, you'll start getting frustrated by the middle of the game. Go with the flow.

SenseiJinx said:
Throw stuff at him.

Honestly, that works out pretty well. Throw those explosive barrels at him. Then shoot him in the face with your shotgun over and over while he's recovering, then run for cover until his gun has to cool down and do it over again. Also: grenades work well.

Pretty much

EMP him

I got him on the 2nd try.

I do gotta say they I appreciate just how fucking fierce the actual gunplay/combat is in this. Dudes don't just hang back and pop out like whack-a-moles. They swarm and move in on you pretty fast so you always gotta have a plan and be mobile. Especially when you're like me and you don't have any armor upgrades =P

GhaleonEB

Havok said:
The 10mm pistol becomes a monster after just a few upgrades. Laser sight, damage upgrade, silencer - you'll be golden for the rest of the game.

And I know your game tastes. If you're still doing your constant reload after every mistake, you'll start getting frustrated by the middle of the game. Go with the flow.
Thanks for the advice, I'll upgrade it when I'm though with this section.

I'm not reloading after every mistake - though I did for a bit early on - just the fatal ones. :p

Is there a perk to steady my aim? I see the tree to steady "motion induced" sway, but will that help my sniper rifle be perfectly still when I aim from a still position?

Ken

GhaleonEB said:
Is there a perk to steady my aim? I see the tree to steady "motion induced" sway, but will that help my sniper rifle be perfectly still when I aim from a still position?

Yes, there is an augmentation that gets rid of the reticle sway (1 point to reduce, and a second to completely get rid of sway). It's next to the arm augmentation tree.

Aimstabilizer.png

ThoseDeafMutes said:
Sorry, there aren't any perks in DX:HR.

Lol.

I'm pretty far in now I think, I just
got back to Detroit from Montreal after meeting Eliza and fighting the second boss.

Love the game so far, been doing a non-lethal run. I really, REALLY wish there was an unarmed fighting option besides the Takedowns, just being able to punch somebody in the face or use the arm blades on their own. I don't even want them to be as strong as Takedowns, I just want the option.

SenseiJinx said:
Throw stuff at him.

That helped, thanks. Came back to the game and got him on my second try. I don't have a stun gun or typhoon so I was limited to tossing stuff, emptying my combat rifle into him and retreating.

I had underestimated the value of disorienting him with the cannisters & fire extinguishers.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
So i just killed or knocked out every civilians, cops, punks and hobos of Detroit. There's only bodies left in the streets, police station and my apartment building now. Still, it seems Sarif, Pritchard and Malik don't give a shit. :lol

Des0lar

will learn eventually
FrontalMonk said:
while we're talking about trouble with getting the pacifist achievement, I'm starting a pacifist run and had some questions about the last section of the game
In Panchaea, how the HELL do you avoid all those zombies? Their AI is horribly erratic, you can knock one out and then three down the hall switch into Hostile mode. I'm also trying for foxiest of hounds, btw.
"hostile" doesn't mean you lose foxiest. Just use gas grenades and run like hell. Or stun them all with the gun/tranq.

MaddenNFL64

Played this game twice, and I do love it indeed.

Only gripe I have is I think the story takes a nose dive near the end, the main antagonists/main NPCs are shit, and they leave alot of things just sitting there.

+takedown system - at first i thought "wtf I could just crack heads with the police baton in the first game, I owned with that!", but it works. taking down 2 guys without sweating is just cool! makes the game easier, but hey, why we like to upgrade dem augs right?

+weapons - the stun gun & dart rifle are awesome! The pistol is just overpowered. These 3 guns will carry you. hell you dont even need the pistol, it's just fun to murder people ya know?

-takedown system - look, I know killing people makes alot of noise, but doing a kill with the takedown system equals the noise of shooting a rocket at the floor? why? Fucking overkill penalty. Sometimes I want to murder people en masse, using my bare hands. with swords attached.

-story - most of it was great. some major parts of it, just stunk. to me anyway. better than invisible wars goofy plot tho. plus it irked me with the montreal bullshit. You're the developers, but holy hell, no need to make Canada some superpower in the Deus Ex universe all of a sudden.

edit: -skill system/other random quibbles - there is no skill system (well its kinda integrated with the augs, but yuck). and I can't fucking swim? what the shit? and I miss beating open boxes for goodies :(. What happened to fucking lockpicks? In 2052 Deus Ex didn't get rid of normal key locks yet. But in 2027, just touchpad locks? and why can't jenson just grab a crowbar off the ground & smash people in the face like Denton can? bah.

yah that edit was just old man grumbling. I like my hardcoreness. We all still bitter over Morrowind to Oblivion, so it's crossing over to this series :p.

Personally I think the game is not overhyped even a tiny bit even though it seems so. First everyone was like "oh my god, Deus Ex is back" and fell in love with it, then you start noticing some very, very minor flaws something that just does not fit into your image of a perfect Deus Ex game. A while later, and this is where I am now, you realise that it is extremely hard to top Deus Ex or just make the same damn game 11 years later. Stuff is moving forward, genres evolve as well as gamers habits. DX: HR is what it is. The 2nd best Deus Ex game we ever got, better than 95% of crap that floods the market. Could it be better? Maybe, hard to say. If they fixed some stuffs they may have broken some others in the meantime.

I think it deserves every accolade and GOTY award it will get.

Top Bottom