• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Deus Ex: Human Revolution |OT| I never asked for this... It gave me lemon-lime

Mickey Avalon

Neo Member
Hawkian said:
Everybody tell how they handled (Early midgame-spoilers)
escaping from the 10 or 12-guard ambush at Tai Yong after you talk to Zhao!

I had just acquired the cloak aug finally and immediately knew I wanted to do it without even engaging a single enemy. I waited for them to establish their patrols, tossed a concussion grenade, waited 2 seconds, jumped straight down to the floor level (Icarus Drop), activated cloak, mad dash to the elevator. Less than 8 seconds between throwing the grenade and being safe in the elevator on my first try. Nobody even spotted me once.

I missed out on plenty of XP and items, but I just really felt like doing it that way. :p

2 gas grenades

legend166

The problem is if you play stealth and gear all your augs in that direction, you're stuffed when it comes to a boss. Like, I got to the second boss and had no points at all in damage reduction or shields or whatever, because the whole point is no one ever shoots at me in the first place. Then BAM, that boss takes me down in like three seconds.

Vorg

Banned
legend166 said:
The problem is if you play stealth and gear all your augs in that direction, you're stuffed when it comes to a boss. Like, I got to the second boss and had no points at all in damage reduction or shields or whatever, because the whole point is no one ever shoots at me in the first place. Then BAM, that boss takes me down in like three seconds.

Did you have the stun gun?

Hawkian said:

I had just acquired the cloak aug finally and immediately knew I wanted to do it without even engaging a single enemy. I waited for them to establish their patrols, tossed a concussion grenade, waited 2 seconds, jumped straight down to the floor level (Icarus Drop), activated cloak, mad dash to the elevator. Less than 8 seconds between throwing the grenade and being safe in the elevator on my first try. Nobody even spotted me once.

I missed out on plenty of XP and items, but I just really felt like doing it that way. :p
My favorite way to handle this situation is actually the easiest. When the guards first walk in you go to the right side of the room and wait for them to disperse. Next you go into the vent on the right side of the room and crawl down to the bottom floor of the room. Pop an energy bar or two, activate your cloak, and stroll on out to the elevator. No casualties, just a bunch of really confused guards.

legend166 said:
That's really just a common misconception when it comes to this game. There are tons of viable strategies for each boss that don't require anything more than what's in the room with you. The bosses can kill you quickly but if you know what you're doing it won't matter what your augs or weapons are because you'll be using what's around you.

rukland

legend166 said:

Damage reduction does not matter. The boss fights are all gimmicks imo. Frankly the boss fights are the worst part of an other wise amazing game.

ctrayne

legend166 said:
That's actually part of my point. There are many ways to take down bosses as a stealth character that lots of players don't even consider. It's kind of cool to watch the range of reactions people have.

legend166 said:

Second boss is cake.
Shoot her with the stun gun (you should have this since you're a stealth char) until she dies.
No resistance.

rdrr gnr

Don't get me wrong, it's definitely worth the $35 dollars I payed for it. But, given the hype surrounding it on here and reddit -- I thought it fell a little short of my expectations.

Note: I went in completely blind, seeing little to no media footage whatsoever outside of the above mentioned sites. Also, never played the series before.

I just didn't think how "expansive" it was justified it not having better core mechanics. The beginning is way too slow for my liking, and when it finally picks up (
the reveal of the Illuminati
) it fails to deliver a compelling story from that point on. The augmentation system should have been divided into passive and active abilities. I shouldn't have to choose between allocating points towards hacking (absolutely necessary) or sprinting (unnecessary, but makes the game more enjoyable).

This will probably piss off most of GAF, but I think the next game needs to go the ME2 route. Simplify/streamline, and improve what the game already does well.

I have complaints about the story and voice-acting as well but w/e...

Edit: As far as the difficulty is concerned. If the gunplay were better, when one did get caught or in boss fights, my score probably would have been a bit higher.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
IoCaster said:
Planted a frag mine at both elevator doors and the entryway before I went up to see Zhao. I learned to cover my back after the Pods. Usually I just reclaim the mines if they're not needed, but in this case they got the job done. After the explosions I went down, looted the bodies and strolled to the exit.
That is completely awesome. You didn't know about the encounter ahead of time?

edit: Playing on the hardest difficulty from the 1st moment and I shall never do anything else. I love it.

Picked this game up on an impulse, hadn't heard or read anything about it other than it was supposed to be good. I'm having a blast, I'm finding the game to be a total breath of fresh air, it has amazing atmosphere, great soundtrack and interesting quests. I think a remake of the original game would be a cool idea using the engine from HR.

MuseManMike said:
This will probably piss off most of GAF, but I think the next game needs to go the ME2 route. Simplify/streamline, and improve what the game already does well.
I don't think I could disagree more.

Simplifying this game would basically be removing it of its best aspects. When the vast majority of games are following the trend of simplification and streamlining it's nice to see a game fight the current and do it well.

Also, isn't choosing between augs being difficult a sign of successful game design? I understand what you're saying about how some augs feel more important than others but in my experience you accumulate enough praxis points to get the augs that you feel you need and the ones that you want because they just make the game more fun. The first time I finished the game there wasn't a single aug left that I felt like I really needed.

JEKKI

whooo~!!! beat it!!!

32 hours logged according to Steam, and beat it with Pacifist achievement too!!!

I am confused tho as to how to unlock all the different endings...

I know there's supposed to be a number of them, but at the last point I only had the choice between two of them,

what are the key choices that determine the other endings??

Wallach

JEKKI said:
whooo~!!! beat it!!!

32 hours logged according to Steam, and beat it with Pacifist achievement too!!!

I am confused tho as to how to unlock all the different endings...

I know there's supposed to be a number of them, but at the last point I only had the choice between two of them,

what are the key choices that determine the other endings??

You need to find Sarif and Taggart on Panchea and speak to them to be able to choose the other two endings.

JEKKI

Wallach said:
You need to find Sarif and Taggart on Panchea and speak to them to be able to choose the other two endings.
aw really?? dang I should reload one of my old Hard saves lol.

-EDIT-

ahhh. I checked and my last Hard save isnt too far off!!! in
Singapore, after u rescue all the scientists n before u fight the boss

I can crank the rest of the endings out no problem!!!

KevinCow

Banned
I just have to rage real quick at how fucking bullshit cheap this shitty electric floor invisible exploding bitch boss is and question whether they even play-tested this shit.

And I'm playing on easy. Easy mode isn't supposed to have shit like this. I'm specifically playing on easy because I don't have the time or patience for this kind of thing.

Cue the "HURF DURF U SUCKS AT VIDYA GAMES LOL" replies. I don't care. Maybe I do suck. That doesn't make this boss any less unbalanced horseshit.

Wallach

JEKKI said:
aw really?? dang I should reload one of my old Hard saves lol.

-EDIT-

ahhh. I checked and my last Hard save isnt too far off!!! in
Singapore, after u rescue all the scientists n before u fight the boss

I can crank the rest of the endings out no problem!!!

When you get to the final room just make a save before you hit one of the buttons.

Replicant

legend166 said:

I managed to get all level 5 hacking augs, level 2 typhoon augs, no-electricity aug, no-EMP aug, level 2 damage reduction aug, level 2 cloaking aug, and all inventory expanded aug by the time I got to 2nd boss. It's just a matter of choosing the right augs. That boss was dead with just 2 x level 2 typhoon.

I found the 1st boss was harder because my typhoon was only at level 1 so it barely made any dent and I didn't have many other augs at that point. But the path prior to Boss 2 is littered with many ways to obtain EXP points.

PS: I did loot/hack/open all kinds of doors/safe/computer in Detroit and Hengsha so that upped my EXP points considerably. I also did non-lethal take down of every.single.soldier I can find on a level on top of finding all ways to get into an area.

KevinCow said:
I just have to rage real quick at how fucking bullshit cheap this shitty electric floor invisible exploding bitch boss is and question whether they even play-tested this shit.

And I'm playing on easy. Easy mode isn't supposed to have shit like this. I'm specifically playing on easy because I don't have the time or patience for this kind of thing.

Cue the "HURF DURF U SUCKS AT VIDYA GAMES LOL" replies. I don't care. Maybe I do suck. That doesn't make this boss any less unbalanced horseshit.
I thought she was piss easy and I'm playing on normal. I had the armor upgrade so electricity doesn't hurt me, and I also kept moving and filling her with Heavy Rifle bullets.

Replicant

pakkit said:
There's always a vent.

And it's usually obscured behind a crate/box/vending machine/fridge/destructible wall. That's why it pays to get the "lift heavy items" + "wall destroyer" augs earlier in the game.

KevinCow said:
Well isn't that dandy for you.

You aren't missing much. The armor upgrades are essentially useless. You can't really spec your character for a certain playstyle like you could in Deus Ex. Fully upgrading Dermal Armor won't turn Jensen into a walking tank. It'll allow you to withstand two or three bullets more than if you didn't get the upgrades, if you're lucky. The entire upgrade system feels really inconsequential to me.

conman

upJTboogie said:
This is why I never use all my points, I keep one or two to upgrades if I get in tight spots like those to upgrade something on the fly to make something easier.
If I hadn't been doing this, I would have been more screwed than I already was on the boss fights. Playing on Hard and going for the Pacifist/Foxiest trophies made those boss encounters a real bitch.

But the biggest flaw isn't with the difficulty curve or the many small little design oversights in those encounters. The big problem is that for those of us playing the game stealthily, we were suddenly asked to play a totally different game just for those boss fights. It was like playing ten hours of Splinter Cell and then having to do one of the boss fights in Quake all the sudden. Some real cognitive dissonance going on there.

MaddenNFL64

For the Penthouse, I sneaked through the vent, listened to the guards talk shit, then turned on sneak. double takedown. guys come to check on them. double takedown again. more guys come to check. double takedown. more guys. double takedown. It was silly.

Nome

I wouldn't mind if they tightened up the shooting. I enjoyed ME2 far more than ME1 because the core gameplay mechanics were magnitudes better.

The biggest adversary for me in HR were the loading times (patch didn't do much for me).

sazabirules

Unconfirmed Member
I have a question about the second boss.

How long does a gas grenade stun her? I threw one at her and was able to kill her off because she never regained the ability to move again. Was that a glitch I encountered?

Maaseru

Banned
Finished it, never fired a live ammo gun except on bosses, the only part I didn't like. They were not that memorable at all. But I went all stealth with take downs and the tranq rifle. It was an awesome game this way.

MaddenNFL64

sazabirules said:
I have a question about the second boss.

How long does a gas grenade stun her? I threw one at her and was able to kill her off because she never regained the ability to move again. Was that a glitch I encountered?

Nope. Bosses can get stun locked easily.

IoCaster

Hawkian said:
That is completely awesome. You didn't know about the encounter ahead of time?

edit: Playing on the hardest difficulty from the 1st moment and I shall never do anything else. I love it.

It was my first run through the game. Needless to say that I was doing a revenge run and killing all of the armed guards. It was a mix of stealthy kills where it was possible without too much trouble and full out firefight when shit got hairy. I tend to hold off on the full stealth playthrough for my second run once I get to know all of the levels.

Anyway, I had a bunch of frag mines from templates and scavenging. I started mining entryways to new levels as I passed them after the Pods. I'd go a good ways in to check for traps/ambushes and then backtrack and collect my mines.

For the TYM Penthouse you'll notice
a non-selectable locked door to the left as soon as you step off the elevator. That pegged my paranoia meter so I stuck a mine near it. Then I put one a bit past the elevator I rode up on. I dropped a couple more past the entryway to take care of any stragglers that might survive the initial explosion. You have to be careful to leave enough room that the doors don't trigger the mines prematurely when they open and take the brunt of the blast. I noticed that the mines are very motion sensitive and will sometimes trigger too early without killing the target. A good technique I found is to stick them to walls, preferably on a surface that is perpendicular to their line of travel.

The funny thing is that right after this you go to Picus and get the same shit. Yeah, I used a bunch of mines there too.

Mooreberg

is sharpening a shovel and digging a ditch
This should be coming in the mail today. Just like it should have Friday and Saturday. Definitely install on the 360 HD, right?

Darkone

sephi22 said:
I dunno.
Hard mode made me play in a way that I wouldn't have otherwise. Hard mode = death in 2-3 seconds. Hence I played stealthy/avoided confrontation and discovered so much about this game. I discovered the importance of hacking, gained tons of XP through exploration, saved ammo, got extra praxis points, discovered alternate strategies to get past enemies, etc. etc. I'm pretty sure if I had a choice, I would've just played this game like any other shooter and wouldn't have discovered the beauty of choice.

I feel like this about a lot of games. The original Bioshock on Survivor = the only way to play it. I discovered the importance of using Big Daddys against other enemies and alternate plasmids that don't do direct damage. Enjoyed the game a hell of a lot more.

Same with Dead Space 2 on Hardcore.

You describe exactly what i think, i am playing on Hard as well and mostly i avoid confrontation and save ammo, i get killed very fast and i have the Armor augmantation at level 2.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
MuseManMike said:

play Gears of War or something and stop thinking about ruining good games.

I don't want to offend you with this but the mere thought of Deus Ex going Mass Effect route gives me nightmares. Go play your streamlined experience, Human Revolution is streamlined as it is. I'm glad that guys like are in minority when it comes to this title.

and I love ME1-2 btw. But keep this shit away from Deus Ex.

Damn, the game is quite tough (and I'm only playing in normal mode, lol). But after really enjoying the Mass Effect and Assassin's Creed series it's a very nice experience to actually die in a game for a change.

Davidion

Hawkian said:

Tossed two concussion grenade, one after the other went off, and then ran in with a bunch of candy bars and took all of them down by melee.

I felt the need to beat them up.

Just got this yesterday and I'm loving it so far, it's definitely Deus Ex!

So many different ways to tackle situations, great job Eidos.

Of course, I'm only just at the beginning, so I'll have to see how it goes, but so far so good.

Nymerio

Hawkian said:

There's an air vent to the right that takes you past the big room, you just have to wait for the right moment and you can sprint to the elevator without anyone seeing you :)

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
BengaBenga said:
Damn, the game is quite tough (and I'm only playing in normal mode, lol). But after really enjoying the Mass Effect and Assassin's Creed series it's a very nice experience to actually die in a game for a change.

what gives you trouble? It would be interesting to hear. I was playing AssCreed 2 last week and yes, dying there is almost nonexistent.

White Man

Just finished up--probably won't play it until there's DLC again. My thoughts:

1) Played mostly pretty great. Biggest complaint is that the "cover" trigger seemed to decided to stick to walls that I did not intend to. I also don't like clicking sticks to zoom\iron sites.

2)You start with way too many powers. I seriously thought there was going to be Metroid-y clean slate even to take away a lot of the stuff you start with. Related problem is that a few powers were basically not useful at all.

3) There had to have been boatloads of material they couldn't get out in time for launch. The first Detroit part of the game feels so so so so much more polished and content complete than the rest. When I got to the second hub, I was all giggly because the city design was rather vertical and I expected as much greatness as Detroit. Unfortunately it had like -half- the greatness. The plot is also clearly the product of rushing and cutting. The beginning of the game was neat and did some decent setting up and the characters seemed pretty idiosyncratic and interesting, but I 'll be damned if I can coherently untangle (or de-bore) the second half of the game's plot.

4) Lotsa balancey niggles--not enough ammo, too much ammo for lame guns, poser model doesn't let you screw around all that much since you default to only 1 block. I'd guess this sort of balancing is probably crunch or rush related.

One of my favorites of the year. Hopefully it sells and we can get a polished sequel.Or start a new franchise that isn't in such lame world. The whole political\moral responsibilities of augmentations in the future would probably have sounded awesome to me when I was 14.

MaddenNFL64

Augmentation debate is not what DX is about. It's really about Bob Page's power grab against the Illuminati, and using the newly minted nanotech which is finally compatible with human genetics, combined with the most advanced AI, Helios, along with the Aquinas Hub, which centralized, and filtered all digital information, to become the "illuminated one", to control the world as a god. It's crazy, it's fun, and the host of people you meet to stop this trillionaire with a god complex is what the game is about.

No prequel is gonna top the moment where all the shit hits the fan, and that's in the first game.

All the games have had to work around the crazy moments in 2052, and they're just not gonna be as good.

I think HR laid the ground work for a nice series of prequels, because by 2035, Bob page will have his coup against his fellow Illuminati, and I think Adam Jenson can be quite involved in that.

XeroSauce

The Broken Ska Record said:
I don't want to waste more time on this, but
is there a way to save Malik when the BEE goes down in Hengsha?
I just can't seem to do it. Too many guys.
I carried around a sniper rifle for a good part of the game, and it shone during that part.

I didn't even realize
you were supposed to save her. When she told me to run I said "Screw that, I finally get to use this gun!" and then I realized that I actually saved her after hearing that you guys didn't.

Hey I recently got this and have played for about 6 hours or so. But I'd still like some extra help - is their like an overview newbie guide for this game? Like what to focus on, tips on hacking ect.?

Thanks!

Ken

Darknessbear said:
Hey I recently got this and have played for about 6 hours or so. But I'd still like some extra help - is their like an overview newbie guide for this game? Like what to focus on, tips on hacking ect.?

Thanks!

Level up hacking early on (Hacking Level 1-3 or 4 and Stealth). You'll end up having more PRAXIS points than you need so there's no strict builds you need to follow to beat the game. You can hack multiple nodes at the same time. Hacking the red enemy nodes automatically captures everything.

An upgraded pistol with armor piercing rounds dominates everything.

Only your first cell automatically recharges when depleted.

Top Bottom