• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Deus Ex: Human Revolution |OT| I never asked for this... It gave me lemon-lime

Sometimes I wonder how the game would handle any other play style than stealthy. Take for instance the
Police Station
in Detroit. How would you do all the questing in this location in a run-gun playing style? You would obviously alert
the whole station
while run-gunning and eventually you'd just commit a mass murder spree and that just feels wrong and immersion breaking. The only way I can see fit is playing stealthy. Maybe someone who hasn't gone stealthy can rectify this?
Yeah, nobody was left alive when I was through with the police station - not intentional, I tried to be stealthy, but things did not go according to plan and once I had raised the alert once, I didn't see any way to really extricate myself from the various firefights that popped up.

Sometimes I wonder how the game would handle any other play style than stealthy. Take for instance the
Police Station
in Detroit. How would you do all the questing in this location in a run-gun playing style? You would obviously alert
the whole station
while run-gunning and eventually you'd just commit a mass murder spree and that just feels wrong and immersion breaking. The only way I can see fit is playing stealthy. Maybe someone who hasn't gone stealthy can rectify this?

Well, you can definitely take situations like that in a guns-blazing style if it suits your playstyle. And I think the game actually caters really well to players that enjoy that more than the stealth. But I agree, I don't think it fits the theme of the game, or the character of Adam Jensen. But that's okay, because it's a Deus Ex game and you're meant to play it the way you want. Whether that's
talking Wayne Haas into letting you (which means you don't even have to stealth your way around), sneaking in through the sewer, sneaking in through the roof, or just mowing down every single person that stands in your way.
Each are equally viable possibilities, and each has their own rewards and drawbacks.

Do I need to have the main game installed on my PC to play the DLC?

Hm, not sure. I don't think so, but I could be wrong.

How many copies have this bad boy sold?

Not sure how many it's sold now, but I think a couple of months ago SE said they hit 2 million. Pretty impressive (and definitely deserves it).

Jamesways

I just can't get enough of this game. I'm so OCD, even after sneaking past guards to the objective, I'll turn around and knock them out to hack and explore everything.
So, so many different ways to do things.

I just beat the third boss, and saved right before. I loaded it again and again, trying different things. Different guns, granades, mines, dragging the turret, the press B method on different walls (which you can do different animation takedowns on him BTW), just excellent. One of the coolest set pieces and boss battles IMO. I know that's probably not a popular opinion, but I love the map, background, and actual fight. Even with just weapons, at this point, very do-able if you stock piled any firepower.

This has become one of my all time favorite games.

Kunohara

I saw that ENB mod in the sale thread. How much of a performance hit is it?

I do would like to know this. I just got the game from that amazing gamersgate deal. I've got a Core 2 Duo 3.0ghz with a 560 Ti. I would like to try ENB, but if the performance hit is too much, I won't bother.

Yen

I'm up to the part where
you confront Eliza and there's a boss fight.
I don't understand the "lemon lime" reference in the thread title. Anyone?
Great game so far. Will be up there when I figure out my GOTY list.

I finally got this from the Amazon sale and I love it so far. I'm easy to please, though. I was so heartbroken at the beginning because I thought I couldn't run the game properly. When you finally gained control, my turning was soooo choppy in that area. I spent about 15 minutes changing settings and shit, but I think it was just part that was insanely choppy for whatever reason. The game after is perfect. Did that happen to anyone?

Also, why do the cutscenes look so bad? So grainy/blurry.

seldead

I finally got this from the Amazon sale and I love it so far. I'm easy to please, though. I was so heartbroken at the beginning because I thought I couldn't run the game properly. When you finally gained control, my turning was soooo choppy in that area. I spent about 15 minutes changing settings and shit, but I think it was just part that was insanely choppy for whatever reason. The game after is perfect. Did that happen to anyone?

Also, why do the cutscenes look so bad? So grainy/blurry.

Yeah exact same thing happened to me with choppyness at the beginning, but it smoothed right up afterwards too.
Running great at max settings with high fxaa
on a 5850, 4.3ghz 2500k, 8 gigs ram aside from the intro.

Danj

I have never played a Deus Ex game. Is Human Revolution a good one to start with, or should I hunt down the original? Or get both? Or get all 3?

You don't need to have played the original to play HR. It's still worthwhile picking it up though. Graphics are kind of dated now though since it was on the Unreal Tournament engine back in the day, so probably best to pick it up and play it first if you're going to, otherwise HR will spoil you on the graphical front.

daviyoung

Banned
I have never played a Deus Ex game. Is Human Revolution a good one to start with, or should I hunt down the original? Or get both? Or get all 3?

It all depends how much you love RPGs.

1st one is really cheap now, but it's very much a game of its era. There's no hand-holding, the gunplay is weak, the UI can be confusing and unwieldy but if you can look past it, or are used to playing older PC games you'll be fine. Graphics aren't an issue, there are enough hi-res texture mods out there to make it look presentable.

Human Revolution is a fine entry level into the world. It's RPG-lite compared to the original though and the writing and story are weaker, but the combat is much better and it has all the trimmings of modern gaming.

Avoid Invisible War, unless you become a huge fan of the world in which case you'll be able to ignore everything bad about it.

I was thinking about preemptively buying the Missing Link DLC, before unwrapping the game tomorrow. Whats the general consensus on it? It seems to be a bit pricy at $15.

Yen

This could be my GOTY, however, during the Yelena boss battle, I came extremely close to rage quitting and forgetting all about the game. Terrible boss fights.

You don't need to have played the original to play HR. It's still worthwhile picking it up though. Graphics are kind of dated now though since it was on the Unreal Tournament engine back in the day, so probably best to pick it up and play it first if you're going to, otherwise HR will spoil you on the graphical front.
Graphics aren't an issue, I mostly play Nintendo 64 (and SNES) games anyway. I think there is a certain charm to primitive 3D graphics.

It all depends how much you love RPGs.

1st one is really cheap now, but it's very much a game of its era. There's no hand-holding, the gunplay is weak, the UI can be confusing and unwieldy but if you can look past it, or are used to playing older PC games you'll be fine. Graphics aren't an issue, there are enough hi-res texture mods out there to make it look presentable.

Human Revolution is a fine entry level into the world. It's RPG-lite compared to the original though and the writing and story are weaker, but the combat is much better and it has all the trimmings of modern gaming.

Avoid Invisible War, unless you become a huge fan of the world in which case you'll be able to ignore everything bad about it.
Thanks. I think I'll pick up the original if I don't get Human Revolution for Christmas.

Now, I know Deus Ex games are about choice, RPG elements, and shooting, but seeing the cyberpunk influence reminds me a bit of Perfect Dark--one of my favorite games from the era. I don't expect it to play anything like PD, but what got me interested in Deus Ex is the atmosphere and look of it (I'm talking about the original mostly).

Minamu

With 4 gigs of ram and a HD4870 card, what can I expect? I usually play in 720p on my tv. The processor is a fairly old 2 or 3 ghz dual core.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
This has probably been asked a million times: Is there a way to get AA working on ATI cards?

I don't need much, just 2x SSAA would be enough. This is the worst aliasing I have seen since RR5 and I'm going to puke. There also doesn't seem to be a configuration file anywhere, even an encrypted one. How is this possible?

abunai

This has probably been asked a million times: Is there a way to get AA working on ATI cards?

I don't need much, just 2x SSAA would be enough. This is the worst aliasing I have seen since RR5 and I'm going to puke. There also doesn't seem to be a configuration file anywhere, even an encrypted one. How is this possible?

Huh? I'm 99% sure I just went into the options menu and enabled AA on my HD4870 and it worked fine. Same with The Missing Link. Maybe I'm going senile.

Dice

Huh? I'm 99% sure I just went into the options menu and enabled AA on my HD4870 and it worked fine. Same with The Missing Link. Maybe I'm going senile.
The menu only has MLAA or FXAA, which aren't anti-aliasing so much as aliasing-jello-izing. Still visible and shimmery as fuck, just a different shape to it, also while shitting on textures at the same time.

abunai

The menu only has MLAA or FXAA, which aren't anti-aliasing so much as aliasing-jello-izing. Still visible and shimmery as fuck, just a different shape to it, also while shitting on textures at the same time.

Ah yeah, you refreshed my memory of the vaseline. I don't remember forcing MS or anything, guess I must've just put up with it. Maybe someone else knows something.

C.T.

it's so funny when npcs argue and all do this thing with their hands. I want to see a youtube video with all cut together.

Dice

Okay switching to DX9 lets me force AA. Now I had this lovely bit in the first mission...

1) Find room of hostages, they say there is a bomb trigger on the door.
I thought this was a real trigger, like instant-explosion, but apparently you can walk in and disarm it. Lame.
2) Notice a grate behind them, make a point to look for other end.
3) Fail to find it. Make sure to kill every bad guy, relying on the police to disarm the bomb like the hostages suggested.
4) Hear at the end that the hostages "didn't make it" without an explanation as to how they died and wonder why the police didn't defuse the bomb or why I didn't hear an explosion.
5) Go back to the room, find bomb undetonated and all hostages dead with no wounds.

Answer: Uhhhh... must have been poisonous duct tape! I should have known!

Please tell me it gets better.

Any good mods for the game? Did a quick google search and didn't find any direct links to pages just some gaming sites talking about removing some orange filter.

ArjanN

Okay switching to DX9 lets me force AA. Now I had this lovely bit in the first mission...

1) Find room of hostages, they say there is a bomb trigger on the door.
I thought this was a real trigger, like instant-explosion, but apparently you can walk in and disarm it. Lame.
2) Notice a grate behind them, make a point to look for other end.
3) Fail to find it. Make sure to kill every bad guy, relying on the police to disarm the bomb like the hostages suggested.
4) Hear at the end that the hostages "didn't make it" without an explanation as to how they died and wonder why the police didn't defuse the bomb or why I didn't hear an explosion.
5) Go back to the room, find bomb undetonated and all hostages dead with no wounds.

Answer: Uhhhh... must have been poisonous duct tape! I should have known!

Please tell me it gets better.

It's not an explosive, the "bomb" releases a poison gas in the room. And the game rightly punished you for making dumb decisions.

Dice

It's not an explosive, the "bomb" releases a poison gas in the room. And the game rightly punished you for making dumb decisions.
Ah, so choosing not to set off a bomb is a dumb decision. Okay. And I looked for the grate for a while, I just didn't find it, and it's not like the game tells you "This next room ends the level!"

Thanks, ass.

abunai

What's the performance like with that card in general? I have the same (a few posts up).

Pretty solid. DX9, everything set as far as they would go, 1080p. 50~fps, few dips in random areas.

Any good mods for the game? Did a quick google search and didn't find any direct links to pages just some gaming sites talking about removing some orange filter.

Eidos never released the SDK or any sort of mod tools, so there isn't much to work with. There is the ENB series for graphical changes, and there is a tweak that enables a debug mode where you can do a few semi-interesting things but that's about it really. What a shame.

abunai

Ah, so choosing not to set off a bomb is a dumb decision. Okay. And I looked for the grate for a while, I just didn't find it, and it's not like the game tells you "This next room ends the level!"

Thanks, ass.

The entry to the grate was hidden fairly well
it was under a staircase on the right side of the big room as you go in, iirc
. Isn't that the point of secret pathways? But yes, the first mission is the weakest in the game, really.

e: hurrr pressed quote instead of edit, whoops.

Neki

I actually back-tracked all the way through the whole level once I realized that I had passed the chance of saving the hostages after fighting the terrorist leader the first time.

the things I do to be the good guy. also it sucks because I was doing a pacifist run until I realized I killed people in the prologue. :(

aasoncott

Thanks, ass.

I thought the game actually did a really good job of letting you know where the point of no return was. And yes, choosing not to save the hostages is a dumb decision. What did you expect would happen? The game is even more punishing about the hostages than you expect, though --
the hostages can die even before you arrive at the building. If you muck about the offices for too long at the start of the game before heading to the helipad, the bomb can go off before you've even started the mission.
And that is awesome.

ArjanN

Thanks, ass.

I thought they actually made it pretty obvious. And the action hero leaving something to the cops is never a good decision in any work of fiction ever.

I think it's actually a great design decision that the game allows you to do something wrong and suffer the consequences, instead of forcing you to do it the right way.

Brannon

I was going to do a pacifist run, but then SOMETHING happened that forced my hand. But just for THAT part. Otherwise, ghost/KO all the way through.

abunai

I was going to do a pacifist run, but then SOMETHING happened that forced my hand. But just for THAT part. Otherwise, ghost/KO all the way through.

Same thing happened to me, haha
malik?

Forbes' Paul Tassi picks DXHR as his game of the year.

I'm in agreement. Nice to see it not completely brushed under the rug, and glad to see he acknowledged the brilliant level design.

Edit: Eidos Montreal also bags studio of the year from Edge. Conrgrats!

Awesome. Good to see, definitely deserving. It would be my GOTY too, by miles, if it were not for Rayman: Origins. I still need to finish the DLC though.

Dice

I think it's actually a great design decision that the game allows you to do something wrong and suffer the consequences, instead of forcing you to do it the right way.
Well fine, but I just take it as the game trying to make a stupid point. As for "suffering the consequences" it all breaks down when you realize it's a game. Why? Because you can do things over, try different approaches. Is it nice to be able to do things in different ways? Yes, and in that respect it is nice design. However, it also means that the game is emotionally reduced to the nature of its action->reaction design. The hostages aren't hostages anymore, they are a symbolic piece in a puzzle game of variant paths of action.

Within that sort of system, it's impossible for me to really care about anything. Why? Because when they die despite my intentions because of ambiguity of consequence, it is no longer about the results of my intentions toward characters, it is about properly solving the puzzle game, which means they have been reduced to that piece of the puzzle. The immersion of the story is dead.

So, generally at that point I stop caring about characters, take a more go-with-the-flow and do-what-I-want sort of attitude with the game. Maybe later I'll do a "saving them run" but that means they are just an objective to check. Choices are then about unlocking new spins on the same story, not about actually caring about anything within that story.

Contrast that with something more direct like Mass Effect 2. Yes, you were always making a choice of what to do, and things always went as expected, but a lot of the time those choices weren't causing anything, they were merely how you were responding. The story was doing a lot of things out of your control, and you were directing the kind of person you wanted your character to be within it. I find it better to do a story that way and much easier to remain absorbed into it.

Though, I think The Witcher is a good mix of the two. It would give you choices, and things would follow as you chose. Some things would be related that you didn't know, such as taking sides with one person setting you at odds with someone you hadn't met yet, but that is different from a situation asking you what you want, and you trying for what you want and then not getting it. It's allowing more variables and unexpected factors without making it into a circumstance puzzle game.

dumb question: I bought the tactical package today ( I know I am a sucker) and cannot for the life of me figure out how to use/find it. has anyone run into this problem?

dumb question: I bought the tactical package today ( I know I am a sucker) and cannot for the life of me figure out how to use/find it. has anyone run into this problem?

You get the items when you start a new game at the beginning of the first level (right after landing on the roof of the warehouse). As far as I know, the two weapons are never laying around in the game after that, so if you want to use them make sure you don't drop them.

You get the items when you start a new game at the beginning of the first level (right after landing on the roof of the warehouse). As far as I know, the two weapons are never laying around in the game after that, so if you want to use them make sure you don't drop them.

So I am screwed as i bought it after several hours of gameplay. :(

Top Bottom