• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Deus Ex: Human Revolution |OT| I never asked for this... It gave me lemon-lime

Prelithe

YOU CAN DO THAT?!

I was using multi-powered-up laser-sighted quickfire sniper rifle to pop guys off SO FAST but then the mech popped up over the building and launched missiles at her. I thought there was no way. Do you have to jump into the fray and pull her out yourself? Anyway, about her dying, Jensen was waaaay to stoic. I don't think he liked her.

lol not really. It's actually quite easy, here is what I did (non-lethal):

When you start off, pick off a few snipers on the far left and right with a tranq rifle. Once you got a few, turn on your cloak aug and start taking down enemies on the frontline with a stun gun (focus on the heavies, as they do more damage to the heli). You can do some takedowns but I rather save the battery. Once you've nailed 5-6, the bot should drop. You should be very close to the bot package so roll an EMP down there and focus on getting the rest of the guys up in the buildings.

I've done this quite a few times, mainly to try and get no-kills (i.e. dragging some bodies away from the bot before it explodes, making sure tranq'd snipers don't fall off the building and kill themselves, lol).

On another note, I found myself at the end of the game with like 10 praxis kits still to be used. The only things I upgraded were cloak, hacking detection and inventory (had to carry some heavy weapons to make the boss battles bearable) and it seemed like I never really needed anything else. Worse thing was is that there isn't enough Proenergy bars, and the jars not stacking were pretty annoying.

Overall, it was a really great game - I loved the first game so I do have some gripes about some non-lethal/stealth aspects (e.g. battery with takedowns, melee weapons, size of levels, the general movement of the character) but overall a really fun game. I might even try to go non-lethal on "Give me Deus Ex", but I kinda want to go on a killing rampage next :p

YOU CAN DO THAT?!

I was using multi-powered-up laser-sighted quickfire sniper rifle to pop guys off SO FAST but then the mech popped up over the building and launched missiles at her. I thought there was no way. Do you have to jump into the fray and pull her out yourself? Anyway, about her dying, Jensen was waaaay to stoic. I don't think he liked her.

It's tough, but manageable, as long as you prioritize targets. * Unfortunately, I ultimately didn't get the Pacifist achievement since I killed the enemies in the prologue. :(

*It's been a few months, but I think the key is to concentrate on the more powerful enemies first, and work your way down to the normal mooks.
1. Get the heavies out of the way ASAP, same goes for the bot. An EMP grenade should take care of the bot.
2. Snipers and Guys with Assault Rifles
3. Everyone else.
Bring some EMP, Gas, and concussive grenades, as they should help buy you some time, and plenty of energy bars to power your takedowns and cloaks.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I buggered the Pacifist achievement as I didn't consider the break-through-wall ability. I did think I was good for Foxiest of the Hounds, though, but apparently not.

YOU CAN DO THAT?!

I think the point is
that if you leave her behind without saving her, it implies that Adam didn't really care much for her. If you save her, there's kind of a touching short exchange afterwards that shows he does care about her. It's one of those cool things that the game does (and DX1 did as well) where the main character very subtly defends or adapts to the decisions you make. It's usually in small details, but I like how it's done.

LeleSocho

Banned
Just finished...
Pissed off of the fact that you
can't choose all the endings if you don't talk to everyone.... i don't even knew that in panchea there were Sarif and Taggart i've only found Darrow; in the end i've chosen the selfestruction ending because the Darrow one was shit and because seems the one who fits better to Deus Ex1.

Played very bad anyway... lots of dead, deaths, and alarms even if it was at normal...
I've chosen all the hacks augs, the conversation one, icarus landing system, the first one of the legs, the 2 of the typhoon and the "see trough wall" one, break walls aug, heavy things aug, a "one more energy cell" one, the "breath the gas" one and the double takedown one... no cloak, speed or armor one... that's all i guess...
I wanted to play stealthy/non lethal but the lack of ammos really ruined my plans... halfway through
Hengsha
i didn't have any stun ammo left so i've dropped the weapons shortly after...

Then the fucking bosses... the first time you encounter them you think "How the fuck i am supposed to beat them?" then you beat them in the dumbest way possible... for reference...
The first one shooting hime when he is charging switching angle around a column
The second one starting with a typhoon then placing two EMP mines around me and shooting her in the face with the heavy rifle
The third one with 5 or 6 typhoon one after another
The last one was the only one really easy, destroy the turrets then hack all the things then shoot
YOU CAN DO THAT?!

I am shocked too :O

In the end great game and great prequel for Deus Ex1, still think the first one was better (played this july the first time btw so no nostalgia effect) i really wanted to play the second one too but i heard it sucks ass from anyone so i can only hope on a sequel of the first based from one of the other endings or just make a sequel declaring the DE2 non-canon.

I had a boner when
i heard Bob voice

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
I think the point is
that if you leave her behind without saving her, it implies that Adam didn't really care much for her. If you save her, there's kind of a touching short exchange afterwards that shows he does care about her. It's one of those cool things that the game does (and DX1 did as well) where the main character very subtly defends or adapts to the decisions you make. It's usually in small details, but I like how it's done.
Then it
should also be able to tell when you capped several dudes in an effort to save her.

milkham

Then the fucking bosses... the first time you encounter them you think "How the fuck i am supposed to beat them?" then you beat them in the dumbest way possible... for reference...
The first one shooting hime when he is charging switching angle around a column
The second one starting with a typhoon then placing two EMP mines around me and shooting her in the face with the heavy rifle
The third one with 5 or 6 typhoon one after another
The last one was the only one really easy, destroy the turrets then hack all the things then shoot

actually its even dumber. the third one, you can do a takedown on him as he lands from jumping over one of the partitions, over in one takedown. and the last one, if you have a laser rifle you can just run up and shoot her through the glass

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
Okay guys, I've finally completed the Deus Ex series, and it's fucking amazing. But now, I feel empty inside having completed it.

I need a new series with a story based around conspiracy theories/government stuff, or other good Cyberpunk theme.

1-D_FTW

I noticed somebody else had this issue in the Steam thread, and the Eidos forums are filled with people banging their heads, but did anyone with performance issues ever solve them? If so, how? On Steam, so playing with rollbacked patches isn't an option.

Have a Q9400 @3.4 Ghz. From what I can see, this is the main issue (although people with i26000k processors are having the same problems, so it's not because it's junk). It seems to be spiking one core and that's causing the bottlenecks. And by bottlenecks, I mean crappy performance with frequent drops way down in the framerate. Judging by benchmarks my GTX 460 should not be having these issues.

Worst of all, sliding down all the performance settings does nothing. Even tried dropping down to DX9 in desperation. The reason I know something is fucked up: In an effort to rule out my Realtek audio drivers, I tried playing on my HDTV via HDMI audio. So this was using Nvidia audio. And even when I dumped the resolution down to 720P and bumped the performance sliders down to crap quality, one CPU core was still redlining. Clearly they've fucked something up big time and it leads to shitty framerates for anyone affected.

Has anyone solved this problem, or am I just doomed to playing with a skank framerate?

I'm on my first playthrough of the game (it's amazing btw) but I'm stuck in Shengha where you're supposed to find
Tong
.. I talked to the first bartender who told me to talk to the bartender upstairs. I failed to convince him to take me to him and now I don't know where to go. Apparently you're supposed to eavesdrop a conversation in the basement? I go down there into the vents but all I see is
a dead guy in a chair.

I'm definitely stuck here, any help?

1-D_FTW

I'm not sure if the same situation applies, but I had major stuttering issues, so I used ENB v0.086 SPEED IMPLANT:

http://enbseries.enbdev.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=12

Pretty much fixed my performance problems. Although the downside is that it adds very lengthy start time (load times seemed to be unaffected fortunately).

I'll try that if it becomes necessary. Although I found a tip that said go into Sound - Properties - And Disable All Enhancements.

Not sure if it's just some fluke, but played a couple hours and for the most part it was really good. Detroit hub was the worst, but even that seemed much better. Still can't turn on soft shadows or High AO without it taking a significant hit, but as long as I'm butter smooth the majority of the time, I can live with the current situation.

*knocks on wood*

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
LOL so guess what. It turns out Batman detailed me from the Deus Ex train right after
Malik was killed. So my autosave was from landing, giving me another chance to save her. I capped 4 guys with my sniper rifle then went balls to the wall in the middle of everything with my max-upgraded (it really won't let me do anymore) Revolver. If it weren't for Batman I would have moved on much further before hearing that you can save her.

Thrakier

Just started it, horrible first impression. Coming from Witcher 2 doesn't help for sure. GFX are pretty bad but the piss filter really is horrible. Is there any way to reduce that besides ENB? Horrible. And besides using FSAA there is still a ton of jaggies. Why are the videos so heavly compressed? Looks like a cheap YouTube video. Total immersion killer.

We'll see how this turns out...

abunai

Okay guys, I've finally completed the Deus Ex series, and it's fucking amazing. But now, I feel empty inside having completed it.

I need a new series with a story based around conspiracy theories/government stuff, or other good Cyberpunk theme.

Eh, there isnt much to say. System shock 2/vampire masquerade bloodlines have very similar gameplay, but completely different themes. If you're new to Deus Ex, replay them. There is a ton more to find, especially in the original. I replay it once a year and I still found some new things after like 20+ playthroughs.

EYE: divine cybermancy is a recent cyberpunk shooter/rpg game but it is very very janky and the story is almost non-existant. Its great fun in co-op but i can't imagine it being as enjoyable alone.

Does anyone know why I get these weird shapes around light sources when using the ENB mod?
dxhr2012-01-0805-51-4dkr7d.jpg

I really want to replay with the mod, but I the constant shapes are distracting. :/

Any help would be appreciated!

1-D_FTW

Just started it, horrible first impression. Coming from Witcher 2 doesn't help for sure. GFX are pretty bad but the piss filter really is horrible. Is there any way to reduce that besides ENB? Horrible. And besides using FSAA there is still a ton of jaggies. Why are the videos so heavly compressed? Looks like a cheap YouTube video. Total immersion killer.

We'll see how this turns out...

http://www.geforce.com/Optimize/Guides/deus-ex-human-revolution-tweak-guide

Post-Processing: Whenever effects are added to a scene after it has been rendered, they're referred to as post-processing effects. In Deus Ex: HR, the Post-Processing setting essentially controls the way the lighting looks, particularly through a technique known as Color Correction. This obviously impacts on the general atmosphere of the game, which is an important element in Deus Ex: HR. When Post-Processing is On, the world takes on a slightly more stylized, darkened and yellow-cast appearance. Turning Post-Processing Off removes this effect, giving a brighter and more normal look, and also improves performance slightly.

Sorry about the size, but I didn't want to spend the time resizing and just hotlinked.

7-1-PostProcess_On.jpg

7-2-PostProcess_Off.jpg

To really see the difference, open each of these in a tab and then quickly switch back and forth:

http://www.geforce.com/Active/en_US/shared/images/guides/deus-ex-tweak/7-1-PostProcess_On.jpg

http://www.geforce.com/Active/en_US/shared/images/guides/deus-ex-tweak/7-2-PostProcess_Off.jpg

Thrakier

Thanks, I'll try, what does PP affect as well? Only the lighting? Still, both screens look kinda yellowish...and it's no excuse for the horrible video compresion. That's the worst offender.

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
Picked this up over the holidays and finally got around to putting it in but I'm kinda crippled by the desire to try and get all the achievements in a single play through. God I hate achievements (but I also need them). :(

1-D_FTW

Thanks, I'll try, what does PP affect as well? Only the lighting? Still, both screens look kinda yellowish...and it's no excuse for the horrible video compresion. That's the worst offender.

From what I can tell, just lighting. Started off with it on, and have it off now. Can't notice any other differences.

And, yeah, there's still some yellow. But if you open each of those links in a separate tab and rapidly switch, you can see it's been toned down a lot with PP off.

Thrakier

From what I can tell, just lighting. Started off with it on, and have it off now. Can't notice any other differences.

And, yeah, there's still some yellow. But if you open each of those links in a separate tab and rapidly switch, you can see it's been toned down a lot with PP off.

Yeah, it's better. Anything one can do about the weird mouse feeling? Feels a bit laggy. Deactivating VSync isn't an option because the tearing in this game is pretty bad, sadly.

Firebrand

Question: I just started the game and immediately I was given these pre-order weapons (Tactical DLC) that I don't want at the moment.

Can I get them again later if I discard them? The 10,000 credit bonus was also incredibly silly.

Thrakier

Game just hardlocked my PC. Had to do a reset. Nothing in the event manager. Is this game known for crashing? Steam version here.

Greymanic

Neo Member
Is the Missing Link any good? Would it be worth the purchase?

If you liked HR, I personally don't think you'll be disappointed by the DLC. I'm not too sure on the price however as I bought it during the daily deal in the sales quite cheap but I can tell you I got a good few hours out of it on my first playthrough alone.

abunai

Is the Missing Link any good? Would it be worth the purchase?

It's more of the same, really. Stealth is slightly better and they didn't outsource boss fights to a team who doesn't know what they're doing. Quality remains high throughout and it can last quite long depending on how you play.

Game just hardlocked my PC. Had to do a reset. Nothing in the event manager. Is this game known for crashing? Steam version here.

FWIW every version is a steam version. But no, It's not a crash prone game. I've not crashed once. Maybe your temps were high? Could be anything.

jasonng

Every time I see this thread pop up I get the urged to play through this game again. I already played through it twice. Really love this game.

bengraven

I gave up playing this because I wanted to be stealthy and I sucked at stealth.

I hadn't left Detroit and I was supposed to sneak into a gang neighborhood and was like "yeah, that's not going to happen".

JaseC

I gave up playing this because I wanted to be stealthy and I sucked at stealth.

I hadn't left Detroit and I was supposed to sneak into a gang neighborhood and was like "yeah, that's not going to happen".

That took me a fair while. Thank God for quick-save.

1-D_FTW

Yeah, it's better. Anything one can do about the weird mouse feeling? Feels a bit laggy. Deactivating VSync isn't an option because the tearing in this game is pretty bad, sadly.

I'm not sure how much difference it makes, but I'm assuming you've set the Windows mouse settings to the middle (6/11... defaults at either 5/11 or 7/11). And then applied this:

http://donewmouseaccel.blogspot.com/2010/03/markc-windows-7-mouse-acceleration-fix.html

Not sure how big a difference it makes. Or if you can tweak more with in-game settings. But you should be doing the above as your default for everything.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
Is there any fix for the mouse acceleration? It's beyond horrible.

There is no mouse acceleration in the game, you can't even turn it on, lol. It's confirmed by devs.

Edit: I meant there is NO mouse acceleartion in the game.

JaseC

Not messing with reg.

As far as I can tell from a brief GS it's your only course of action, unfortunately. As long as you follow the steps to the letter, you shouldn't have any trouble. At worst you'll bugger a registry entry pertaining to the game rather than breaking your OS installation.

Nessus

Yeah, I felt the same way after Human Revolution.

My friend had been telling me how great Deus Ex 1 was for years, and I'd played the first level like half a dozen times, but it never really grabbed me so I never got any further.

When HR came out I vowed to finally give Deus Ex a real chance and forced myself to get through the first couple levels and then things really started to click and the story picked up and I began to get a feel for what my character could and couldn't get away with.

I really feel like the first level in Deus Ex is *too* open. And the tutorial doesn't really help.

What they should have had was a tutorial that was like a real level. And they should have forced you to go through it first one way, then redo it another way, to give the player a better sense of what they are capable of. Especially with regards to how perceptive guards are, and how triggering an alarm is not the end of the world.

Played Invisible War immediately afterwards, and I actually liked it quite a bit. Biggest complaint is how small the levels are, but I preferred the streamlined multitool-lockpick, the melee was WAY better, combat all around was more enjoyable, voice acting was better, graphics way better, etc.

fresquito

There is no mouse acceleration in the game, you can't even turn it on, lol. It's confirmed by devs.

Edit: I meant there is NO mouse acceleartion in the game.
Okay, first try I thought it was mouse acc.. It turns out it's just input lag. Disabled V-sync and fixed it.

Thrakier

Am I the only one thinking that the whole "vent system" is kinda hilarious? It's totally artifical. And it's hilarious that I just can vanishing in the vent seen by all police officers in the room but no one cares.

DoctorZ

Does anyone know why I get these weird shapes around light sources when using the ENB mod?
dxhr2012-01-0805-51-4dkr7d.jpg

I really want to replay with the mod, but I the constant shapes are distracting. :/

Any help would be appreciated!

I would also appreciate some help getting EMB to look right.

So far it looks kinda ass, weird refelctions, odd shapes like above, stuttering.

AMD phenom x4 3.2ghz
GTX 480
4gm ddr3

With enb on getting around 50-60 fps with the emb ini at stock.

Top Bottom