• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Deus Ex: Human Revolution |OT| I never asked for this... It gave me lemon-lime

Spayro

Well I just fucked up at the
police station
. Can't even get out of there without everybody shooting up my ass. Might have to try again, and go stealth this time.

Also, I started to notice that the looking-down-the-sights animation is all of a sudden really choppy. also other small stuff. is there a fix for that? it wasn't that way before.

FireFly

Within that sort of system, it's impossible for me to really care about anything. Why? Because when they die despite my intentions because of ambiguity of consequence, it is no longer about the results of my intentions toward characters, it is about properly solving the puzzle game, which means they have been reduced to that piece of the puzzle. The immersion of the story is dead.
But that seems like more like a problem with the way the puzzle was designed (the consequences of your actions weren't clear enough), than the principles underlying it.

Everything depends how realistic the 'puzzle' is the first place (real life is full of puzzles), how well its parameters are communicated to the player, and whether the game's narrative appropriately incorporates what you ultimately decide to do. This feeds into whether you can 'identify' with your choice; whether it is a 'story' decision as much as a 'gameplay' decision.

These things are hard to get right, but when the developer is successful, the payoff is pretty big. The original Deus Ex would have been a shadow of itself, without these crucial narrative changing choices. The moment where you're asked to kill Lebedev on the 747 is one of my favorite moments in gaming, because it puts so much in your hands.

Nessus

Fun fact: the boss fights were outsourced, which is why they feel out of place and are just generally terrible.

Obviously I can't know for sure, but THAT boss fight felt like it was in-house.

It could be approached in multiple ways, it involved the skills you'd been honing up until that point (stealth, hacking, in addition to combat) as well as being made easier by certain augs (electrical resistance), AND it even had a really easy secret way to win the fight.

It feels somewhat similar to the boss fight in Missing Link, which they confirmed was not outsourced.

Seems like only the first 3 boss fights were outsourced.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
If you have Typhoon, wait for her to charge you and spam it. The battle will end in seconds. SECONDS.
If you don't have Typhoon use EMP grenade + Revolver to the face. If you don't have EMP grenades, stun-gun the water on the floor. If you also don't have that, why are you playing so stupid?

Bulzeeb

Hi guys I am on the fence here, I never played any Deus Ex game and this game looks ok but all the things I've heard about the boss battles punishing you for choosing some augmentations like steal and stuff and thats what worries me because I always try to go for the stealth no killing way if possible :S

any advice?

kaioshade

Hi guys I am on the fence here, I never played any Deus Ex game and this game looks ok but all the things I've heard about the boss battles punishing you for choosing some augmentations like steal and stuff and thats what worries me because I always try to go for the stealth no killing way if possible :S

any advice?

Continue doing what you are doing. While going all out stealth may make you a bit squishier, the boss fights are not impossible either. They still have environmental factors that will help you take them down if you are not built like a super soldier for your playthrough. The big problem is, not all of the alternate methods to defeating a boss are immediately apparent, leading to quite a few (frustrating) deaths.

abunai

any advice?

I'd still get it. You've got 20-25 hours of stealth with a few boss fights, which aren't that bad. Rather terrible compared to the rest of the game, sure, but playable. If you go full stealth the whole time, you probably won't be picking up items that would help you kill the bosses which is a bit annoying, so you might have to spec typhoon into your augmentation build to overcome them.

You can get every augmentation in one playthrough anyway, XP and money is abundant.

Angry Fork

any advice?

Play the game how you want, then when you get to the boss battles just copy someone's strategy on youtube so you can get through them quickly. You can beat the bosses without getting strength/power augments. There's only like 4 bosses anyway each lasting 3-5 minutes, the rest of the game is amazing.

Jamesways

Yeah, honestly the boss fights are a really small part of the game anyway. There's only a few of them, and the rest of the game is spot on.

I'm playing through the second time, going Pacifist and stealth. You really only need one good weapon and a few grenades to make them easy. Hell, even the stun gun works wonders. Plus you can beat the 3rd one and final one real cheap.

I can't believe how much fun Pacifist is. It doesn't seem bad at all, I mean, you know where to go and what to do, but it's a lot of fun to try to sneak your way through. I'm finding a lot of different routes than my first playthrough.

Spayro

I tried starting a new game and still, the animations when looking down sights, looking at screens and looking above cover are really not smooth. They were just a few hours ago, and it's really annoying. is it a known bug or is it just me?

derFeef

So ENB works on my 6970, but it's really slow. Open areas dive into single digit fps values. I am going to fiddle around with ini later and maybe I can get a smooth framerate - not very conviced though.

So ENB works on my 6970, but it's really slow. Open areas dive into single digit fps values. I am going to fiddle around with ini later and maybe I can get a smooth framerate - not very conviced though.

It takes about a minute to load on my 6950 but once I'm in-game it's usually around 25-30fps.

Still not good enough performance for me to play like that, unfortunately. Shame, too, because it makes what was an ugly game look very nice.

Jamesways

Erm I'm stuck after beating the final boss.Is that a bug?

Hmmm, I had that happen last night too. Picked one of the buttons and she said so be it, and then nothing. I could run around, but nothing happened, no cut scene, etc. Strange. I reloaded and picked a different button and then it worked.

On xbox.

derFeef

It takes about a minute to load on my 6950 but once I'm in-game it's usually around 25-30fps.

Still not good enough performance for me to play like that, unfortunately. Shame, too, because it makes what was an ugly game look very nice.

Yeah the loading times are horrible with ENB - I guess I will not use it. Regarding the look of the game - I never thought it looked ugly as I even think it's quite nice in DX11.

Sh1ner

Are we expecting extensive mods that add more levels or DLC that progresses the story? I assume the first is completely out but I am still hoping :)

orion434

Ah, so choosing not to set off a bomb is a dumb decision. Okay. And I looked for the grate for a while, I just didn't find it, and it's not like the game tells you "This next room ends the level!"

Thanks, ass.

In the game when I found that grate in the room I entered it to find the other end. Then I reloaded and took that grate to get inside. Needed to get into Penn's office... went guns blazing, entered grate, found the other end... then reloaded and did it stealth.

I tried out the ENB mod tonight, and it makes the game look FANTASTIC. I don't mind the yellow filter that much, but having the world not be so oversaturated feels so nice.

The only problem is that my FPS stays pretty stead (30 FPS), but my mouse lag becomes terrible. I have pretty much no mouse lag without the mod, but with it, it's unplayable...anybody else have this problem?

DoctorZ

I've been holding out on this game, mostly out of skepticism since I loved the original so much. But enough, really wanted to play it so gave in and bought it from amazon (activates on steam) for $17, so good deal if you missed the one fore like $10 earlier. But I wanted to play it today for some reason.

Anyways other than the ENB mod, are there any worth checking out?

Mr rig:

AMD phenom x4 3.2 ghz
GTX 480
4gm ddr3

With the ENB mod, what should I put the settings to start off with? Rather have smooth fps over better visuals, but the lighting the ENB series fix seems to have made from shots posted here make it seem like a must have.

MNC

Dumb question perhaps, but are these things in the end always an actual filter, or are they messing with actual color correction options? Or does it all end up getting retextured in some way?

I've been holding out on this game, mostly out of skepticism since I loved the original so much. But enough, really wanted to play it so gave in and bought it from amazon (activates on steam) for $17, so good deal if you missed the one fore like $10 earlier. But I wanted to play it today for some reason.

Anyways other than the ENB mod, are there any worth checking out?

Mr rig:

AMD phenom x4 3.2 ghz
GTX 480
4gm ddr3

With the ENB mod, what should I put the settings to start off with? Rather have smooth fps over better visuals, but the lighting the ENB series fix seems to have made from shots posted here make it seem like a must have.

The game looks really good by default, so I think it's fine to run without the ENB...still, it does make it look really, really nice. It took a good chunk out of my FPS, but I was still running around ~30FPS, so it wasn't a big deal. The problem for me was the horrendous mouse lag, making it unplayable. I would also like to know if anyone has any tips on settings that may help fix that.

DoctorZ

The game looks really good by default, so I think it's fine to run without the ENB...still, it does make it look really, really nice. It took a good chunk out of my FPS, but I was still running around ~30FPS, so it wasn't a big deal. The problem for me was the horrendous mouse lag, making it unplayable. I would also like to know if anyone has any tips on settings that may help fix that.

There must be some way to combat the mouse lag considering a lot of people seem to like the enb mod.

abunai

Are we expecting extensive mods that add more levels or DLC that progresses the story? I assume the first is completely out but I am still hoping :)

There's DLC already, but I doubt there'll be any mods or the sort. Eidos haven't released the SDK or any tools and the best we can do without it is rather small ini tweaks. No new levels or anything.

There must be some way to combat the mouse lag considering a lot of people seem to like the enb mod.

Yeah...I'll tweak some of the settings and see what I end up with. You can also tweak the ENB config settings as well, so I'll mess around with that a bit too.

Replaying this on the PC for the first time, doing a pacifist run, and I've just completed
the Hengsha ambush without Malik dying or with anyone else being killed in the process.

It took a few attempts before I was able to clear the area without anyone dying, before finally I did it by stunning the robot twice while I dragged a few enemies away from it, and THEN taking it out. Felt like such a badass afterwards.

epmode

ENB dropped me from a perfect 60 frames to ~30. I also had severe mouse lag. I'm running at a very high resolution and I tend to keep SSAO at normal instead of high so I guess that explains it.

It's not worth the performance hit unless I can get rid of the mouse lag.

ctrayne

It's my GOTY 2011, hands down.

Same here. I hate gushing about games because it's easy to go overboard, but I gained a lot of respect for Edios Montreal and the commitment to their vision. I would guess a lot of what makes the game so good went over some people's heads. It's not exactly the kind of game you can market to a broad audience - lots of the good stuff in the game is pretty nuanced and hard to advertise. Things like the music and cover art are pretty mellow.

Expectations were probably misaligned unless you already knew what Deus Ex games were like, and even then it helps to have an open mind and to buy into the atmosphere. Stuff like
the climb from Lower Hengsha through the medical tower, through the offices, through the laser grid, up the elevator, all the way up to the penthouse
was delicious, especially if you're paying attention to subtle changes in the environment and that a lot of these places could pass as useable buildings. Lots to soak in. Detail at that level is not a small feat.

And that's not even mentioning the replayable, multiple approach design Deus Ex games are known for, which is really the main draw in the end.

So yeah, kudos to EM.

milkham

any advice?

just get it, i played stealth, didn't have combat mods, didn't even have the typhoon and i had very little trouble with the bosses. bring a stun gun.

derFeef

just get it, i played stealth, didn't have combat mods, didn't even have the typhoon and i had very little trouble with the bosses. bring a stun gun.

I am playing stealth and do not kill anyone on purpose - if it's happen then I live with it (reloading the save because of that stuff destroys the game for me).

After I almost threw the game away when I could not beat one boss while trying to be an offensive weapons user, I took a gaffers advice, used the stun gun, killed that boss and moved on. So this post seems right :)

Nori Chan

I loved this game and it was my first Deus Ex game of the series. I enjoyed everything about it.

I had a Normal playthrough choosing to go balls to the walls with combat. But damn was it difficult
Beating Namir with the fucking chip. I KNEW I SHOULDN'T HAVE GONE TO THE LIMB CLINIC

Now I'm going through a Hard, no alarms, no killing playthrough.

Is the DLC chapter worth 1200 guys?

Flunkie

Banned
I'm to the point where I just want this game to be over. Feels like it's been dragging on and I'm not even to the second boss yet.

I loved this game and it was my first Deus Ex game of the series. I enjoyed everything about it.

I had a Normal playthrough choosing to go balls to the walls with combat. But damn was it difficult
Beating Namir with the fucking chip. I KNEW I SHOULDN'T HAVE GONE TO THE LIMB CLINIC

Now I'm going through a Hard, no alarms, no killing playthrough.

Is the DLC chapter worth 1200 guys?

Yep. The DLC is really, really good.

Is my performance normal? I have a C2D 2.4 and a GTX275, but I can't seem to get more than 30-40 fps even with all options set to lowest/off in the first area after the intro (Sarif office), and that's basically looking at walls. It dips to 15-25 if there are lots of people or windows in view, which is basically unplayable. I upgraded to the latest Nvidia drivers.

Can someone explain to me of the ending? This is my first Deus Ex, so I probably don't know who
bob
is.

Bob Page is the main antagonist in Deus Ex 1. He was originally in the Illuminati, and was a prize pupil of Morgan Everrett, who is the leader of the Illuminati by the time DX1 roles around. (Kind of a cool side note, Everrett is mentioned several times in Human Revolution, at least in emails. He's the president of Picus in HR, which makes sense given his role in the Illuminati.) At one point Page splits off from the Illuminati and forms Majestic 12, which plays a huge part in DX1. (Won't go too far into depth there, as you really should play DX1.

It's MJ12's research into nano-augmentation that leads to JC and Paul Denton in DX1. HR implies that it was Megan's research in augmentation technology that allows them to accomplish this. (Personally, it would also make sense to me if the Denton's are clones of Jensen.)

So at the end of DX1 Megan feels she has nowhere else to turn, but back to the Illuminati. She joins up with Page, likely accompanies him when he forms MJ12, and her research breaks the ground into nano-augmentation technology. Which is where DX1 comes in.

That's one of my favorite things about HR. It ties in very well to DX1. With the possible exception of the ending(s), I can see how almost everything ties into the events in DX1. There's a lot of very subtle references to the first game that explain a lot of how things happened (without retconning really anything from it either). I was thoroughly surprised by a lot of those little details. To me it showed that the developers/writers must have played DX1 tons during development, and really had a good grasp on the story behind it.

(For new page)

Is my performance normal? I have a C2D and a GTX275, but I can't seem to get more than 30-40 fps even with all options set to lowest/off in the first area after the intro (Sarif office), and that's basically looking at walls. It dips to 15-25 if there are lots of people or windows in view, which is basically unplayable. I upgraded to the latest Nvidia drivers.

(For new page)

Is my performance normal? I have a C2D and a GTX275, but I can't seem to get more than 30-40 fps even with all options set to lowest/off in the first area after the intro (Sarif office), and that's basically looking at walls. It dips to 15-25 if there are lots of people or windows in view, which is basically unplayable. I upgraded to the latest Nvidia drivers.

Not really familiar with that card, but it sounds like it may be a bit weak for this game. Your processor might struggle a bit with it as well...I've got an i5 2500k, and a 460GTX, and usually get around 40-50 FPS with pretty much everything on max (aside from the occasional stuttering that I still seem to have to deal with).

So I dunno, sounds like your machine might struggle a bit with this game, but there might be something else going on if you've got everything set to low and are still getting bad performance.

Kunohara

BAM
deusex.jpg

First playthrough. I even managed to
save Malik
without killing anyone.

After you get cloak and more energy bars, the game gets much easier to avoid guards. Fantastic game. I would play the DLC now, but I still have yet to play Skyrim, and I am dying to.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
I even managed to
save Malik
YOU CAN DO THAT?!

I was using multi-powered-up laser-sighted quickfire sniper rifle to pop guys off SO FAST but then the mech popped up over the building and launched missiles at her. I thought there was no way. Do you have to jump into the fray and pull her out yourself? Anyway, about her dying, Jensen was waaaay to stoic. I don't think he liked her.

Tomodachi

I just started the game (Steam Christmas sale <3 even though it was even cheaper from amazon, I think), can't read anything from the thread since I'm too afraid of spoilers :D

Two things:

1) I need a better antialiasing. Using MLAA right now, should I use another one? Should I force something from nvidia inspector? Any other essential tweak I should be aware of?

2) Is it a problem, story-wise, if I never played the first two chapters? I know, I know, shame on me.

Top Bottom