• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Deus Ex: Human Revolution |OT| I never asked for this... It gave me lemon-lime

Thrakier

So I guess there is nothing you can do about that micro stuttering when you are running around the city? I have vsynced 60FPS which are normally well beyond 60FPS but as soon the frame drop to 58 or 59 (which just happens quite frequently) I get slight stuttering. It's annoying.

God damn I hate those unoptimizied and buggy game engines. i hate it with a passion. Lazy programmers are wasting MY time because I have to look out for fixes for their shit. I'm happy that I paid only 8€ TBH...

Thrakier

I'm not sure how much difference it makes, but I'm assuming you've set the Windows mouse settings to the middle (6/11... defaults at either 5/11 or 7/11). And then applied this:

http://donewmouseaccel.blogspot.com/2010/03/markc-windows-7-mouse-acceleration-fix.html

Not sure how big a difference it makes. Or if you can tweak more with in-game settings. But you should be doing the above as your default for everything.

If I do that the mouse becomes pretty unusable for normal windows. Imo you need pointer accleration in windows to travel along a 1080p monitor...otherwise it's really really slow?

Hengsha 2 spoiler -
During the Malik ambush is there anyway to stop the mech exploding after disabling it? Everytime I check the bodies afterwards, there's always a dead guard who was in the blast radius.

To hell with it. I didn't know
the mech only appears on the highest difficulty. I've got a save before leaving Detroit. I'll finish the game on hard and go back to it on a lower difficulty for Pacifist. I almost had it one time, but when I was checking back I realised one of the guards on the walkways had suicided by hitting an exploding barrel.

SHAZOOM

Hengsha 2 spoiler -
During the Malik ambush is there anyway to stop the mech exploding after disabling it? Everytime I check the bodies afterwards, there's always a dead guard who was in the blast radius.

the mech only appears on the highest difficulty. I've got a save before leaving Detroit. I'll finish the game on hard and go back to it on a lower difficulty for Pacifist. I almost had it one time, but when I was checking back I realised one of the guards on the walkways had suicided by hitting an exploding barrel.
The mech shows up on all difficulties.

I would also appreciate some help getting EMB to look right.

So far it looks kinda ass, weird refelctions, odd shapes like above, stuttering.

AMD phenom x4 3.2ghz
GTX 480
4gm ddr3

With enb on getting around 50-60 fps with the emb ini at stock.

Yup, it's really weird. My reflections kinda dissapear sometimes as I come closer to them. The shapes aren't constant, but often around light sources. Like at the beginning, when the police lights are flashing outside, if I turn to the side, the lights become giant shapes which change colour, like the actual police lights flashing.

It's bizarre. I actually contacted the guy who created ENB, and he said to try setting ForceHDRRendering to false, and I tried that, but the lighting kinda gets disabled and the image becomes dim. It's also bizarre. He replied after telling him that it didn't work, and he replied telling me that he was no longer working on ENB for DE, so he could no longer help.

So we're kinda fucked really. :/

Prelithe

Hengsha 2 spoiler -

From my experience
if you rush then there is only one heavy in the way (behind the mech). When you knock him down just drag him and you should be all good.

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
So I just finished The Missing Link DLC.

I heard something about being able to
beat the boss without a fight.
Is this possible? I ended up knocking out everyone with the stun gun + nonlethal takedowns.

I know it's been said a million times, including myself in the early days of this thread. But man are the boss fights in this game total pieces of shit. Game is amazing. Boss fights are the worst crap ever. I'm not putting it on my top ten list because of them so eat it eidos!

Edit: No seriously they are total shit. They would have been 10x better as cutscenes.

Jamesways

So I just finished The Missing Link DLC.

I heard something about being able to
beat the boss without a fight.
Is this possible? I ended up knocking out everyone with the stun gun + nonlethal takedowns.

Well, there's an achievement called
"Apex Predator" where you have to reach him un-noticed and use a takedown.
I did it on my second runthrough. Felt so badass, because I was trying to get the "Factory Zero" achievement as well- beat the DLC with using no praxis or weapons.

It's not that tough actually. Stick to the left side of the room and sneak your way through to him. Climb the 2 ladders, try to time it to avoid the heavy on top and drop in the room. He shouldn't hear you if you're moving slow, you can crouch sneak right up behind him and take him out. It's even easiser using your cloaking, but very doable without it.

I picked this game up during the steam holiday sale (along with about a dozen other games) and jumped into it briefly. I basically only made it through the first mission before putting it on the shelf. Gameplay seems pretty solid so far but some of the character and voice acting is really bad - plus the animations during dialogue scenes are autrocious. If there is a way to turn these off then I will get back into it,, but for now I have other games to play with good gameplay and animations that don't make me want to retch.

1-D_FTW

If I do that the mouse becomes pretty unusable for normal windows. Imo you need pointer accleration in windows to travel along a 1080p monitor...otherwise it's really really slow?

I set my mouse for 1800 DPI for general Windows use. Not too fast, not too slow. Also use a 1080P monitor.

Thrakier

Hm, did anyone having crash problems with the game? My PC froze twice (with reboot) in like 8 hours playtime. No errors in the eventmanger. 7X64 and 560TI here...newest driver. No problems in other games so far...temps are ok as well.

Akuun

Well, there's an achievement called
"Apex Predator" where you have to reach him un-noticed and use a takedown.
I did it on my second runthrough. Felt so badass, because I was trying to get the "Factory Zero" achievement as well- beat the DLC with using no praxis or weapons.

It's not that tough actually. Stick to the left side of the room and sneak your way through to him. Climb the 2 ladders, try to time it to avoid the heavy on top and drop in the room. He shouldn't hear you if you're moving slow, you can crouch sneak right up behind him and take him out. It's even easiser using your cloaking, but very doable without it.
Oh. I
hacked the door in front of him and then got him with a blind-fired stun gun.

I'll probably try to get Factory Zero next. So
COMPLETELY undetected all the way to him, with no augs or weapons at all?
That sounds... really damn hard.

Jamesways

Oh. I
hacked the door in front of him and then got him with a blind-fired stun gun.

I'll probably try to get Factory Zero next. So
COMPLETELY undetected all the way to him, with no augs or weapons at all?
That sounds... really damn hard.

I thought the Factory Zero was a super fun way to play the game actually. They're two seperate achievements so you don't have to try for them both the same time.
I did, but also had a game save ready to load to use Augs if need be. It is easier to get the Apex Predator one with augs and cloaking. Either way, just don't alert any guards at all in the last room. You can sneak by them all and the robot if you have some patience. And use cloak to drop in the control room at the top and do a takedown on him. But it's not that bad with a Factory Zero run either.

And for Factory Zero-
You can be seen and set off alarms, you just can't use any praxis kits or weapons through the whole thing. But you can use candybars and takedowns. And I'd really use the lethal ones since you don't want guys finding bodies and waking 'em up. It's really fun to stealth through and takedown/kill a guy, hide, recharge, and get the next guy. It was a blast to play it like that. Honestly, it sure made pacifist on the full game easier after that.

What an awesome game. I've probably put over 100 hours into it.

I picked this game up during the steam holiday sale (along with about a dozen other games) and jumped into it briefly. I basically only made it through the first mission before putting it on the shelf. Gameplay seems pretty solid so far but some of the character and voice acting is really bad - plus the animations during dialogue scenes are autrocious. If there is a way to turn these off then I will get back into it,, but for now I have other games to play with good gameplay and animations that don't make me want to retch.

What a shame.

What a shame.

True. I went into the game with good intentions, knowing nothing of the game outside of the basic details and having no history with the franchise. I am interested in playing the game as the story and gameplay intrigue me. Unfortunately i am just having a hard time getting past the animations in dialogue scenes. Normally this doesn't bother me, but it just looks like I am watching a bad version of a thunderbirds episode.

I am just being overly intolerent and will hopefully be able to return to the game in the near future.

True. I went into the game with good intentions, knowing nothing of the game outside of the basic details and having no history with the franchise. I am interested in playing the game as the story and gameplay intrigue me. Unfortunately i am just having a hard time getting past the animations in dialogue scenes. Normally this doesn't bother me, but it just looks like I am watching a bad version of a thunderbirds episode.

I am just being overly intolerent and will hopefully be able to return to the game in the near future.

Yeah, the animations are pretty terrible for the most part. I guess I didn't care too much because I love DX1 so much, and that's one of the worst looking games I've ever played. HR looks great, aside from the character models and animations.

seth-bullock-1.jpg

dankir

Hengsha 2 spoiler -

It though guards killed by Mech Explosions doesn't effect Pacifist? I rescued Malik because I blew up the Mech(with an EMP bomb) and it took out nearly all the guards in the area and I still got Pacifist.

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like

Close your eyes during the dialog sequences.

Akuun

It though guards killed by Mech Explosions doesn't effect Pacifist? I rescued Malik because I blew up the Mech(with an EMP bomb) and it took out nearly all the guards in the area and I still got Pacifist.
I don't think it affects Pacifist. I blew up the mech with an EMP in that section and still got pacifist.

Just make sure the explosion doesn't kill the dudes near it.

Thrakier

Close your eyes during the dialog sequences.

He still would hear the amateurish voice over though.

Over all the game feels real cheap, production value and so on. Sometimes the graphics are downright bad. Gameplay is like a mini sandbox, but imo not really good. You just have to look for the vent. Actually, that should be in the thread titel. JUST LOOK FOR THE VENT. I'm not saying it's a bad game, just not very good. Typicall EIDOS produtction, 7/10 stuff.

1-D_FTW

I didn't mind the VO in the original and don't mind them in this game. Maybe I have a secret aug implanted that makes me impervious.

Over all the game feels real cheap, production value and so on. Sometimes the graphics are downright bad. Gameplay is like a mini sandbox, but imo not really good. You just have to look for the vent. Actually, that should be in the thread titel. JUST LOOK FOR THE VENT. I'm not saying it's a bad game, just not very good. Typicall EIDOS produtction, 7/10 stuff.

I thought the voice overs were pretty good in this game. Adam's is just a tad over the top in the throat infection style at times, but otherwise was well done. Sarif annoys me. Other than that, I liked the main cast's voiceovers, and a lot of the NPC's.

As to the vent thing, there's so much more to the gamemplay than just "finding the vent". Yes, there are a lot of vents. A lot of games have vents. Whenever you come across one it's just adding one more layer to the possible options to approach a situation. There's a ton more depth there, a lot of which you can't or won't discover until multiple playthroughs. And that's awesome, because it's the same way DX1 was.

Thrakier

I thought the voice overs were pretty good in this game. Adam's is just a tad over the top in the throat infection style at times, but otherwise was well done. Sarif annoys me. Other than that, I liked the main cast's voiceovers, and a lot of the NPC's.

As to the vent thing, there's so much more to the gamemplay than just "finding the vent". Yes, there are a lot of vents. A lot of games have vents. Whenever you come across one it's just adding one more layer to the possible options to approach a situation. There's a ton more depth there, a lot of which you can't or won't discover until multiple playthroughs. And that's awesome, because it's the same way DX1 was.

I can't change it, it breaks the immersion for me. I don't even try to approach the situaton in a different way, why should I - just go for the vent. GO FOR THE VENT. Whole game feels like a film set/backdrop to me and you are the only one who knows that it's actually just a film set. It's so weird in many ways. The AI is horrible. The characters are not very likeable and pretty generic...it's like it has B-Movie written all over it.

It's yellow though. So if you like yellow, it could be your GOTY. But you REALLY have to like yellow. Like...really really like it.

I really really like yellow, and thoroughly enjoyed this game. Just a coincidence though. ;p

Being more of a directed sandbox may be off-putting to a lot of people, but since the game offered a lot of choices dependent upon whatever abilities you had or dialog choices you made, it all added up to keep me interested and involved.

I hated Jensen's voice for hours as well. I'd really suggest sticking with the game unless your complaint is the actual gameplay, because I actually got quite accustomed to his voice eventually.

Thrakier

Yeah, I'll stick with it...but in a way this game feels kinda "old". Hard to describe. Maybe it's a mixture of all. But there is so much stuff in it which should be gone. It's hilarious when I hack a computer or rob the desk next to a guy who is the actual owner of this workstation...the hell? The world they created is just not very believable. I kinda blaze through it in a hilarious schwarzenegger f u all attitude, which makes it kinda fun. But yeah, I expected more.

Like I said, I played Witcher 2 before DX3 and so the contrast is really stark...in every way.

EDIT:

Or the fact that ALL VENTS LOOK THE SAME. It's like there is ONE BIG VENT Manufactuarer who supplies the whole world. Would explain why they got so many. "YOU HAVE TO GET DAT VENT IN YOUR ROOM BOY". And many other things like that, like the same looking boxes over and over again and...blah. It just breaks the immersion. It has "videogame" written all over it. I would be fine with it but it's actually a game which tries to be taken seriously. And that's the point where it breaks.

I think your problem with Deus Ex: HR being very video gamey is that is what exactly it's designed to be. The game mechanics and level design take priority over all other things and doesn't try to prevent you from playing the game even if it breaks immersion or skips some of the drama.

Also, vents get harder to find later on. Probably the most I've used vents were during the police station side quest where there's a conveniently placed one. Other places that have a convenient vent tend to offer an equally, if not more convenient solution.

Thrakier

I think your problem with Deus Ex: HR being very video gamey is that is what exactly it's designed to be. The game mechanics and level design take priority over all other things and doesn't try to prevent you from playing the game even if it breaks immersion or skips some of the drama.

Also, vents get harder to find later on. Probably the most I've used vents were during the police station side quest where there's a conveniently placed one. Other places that have a convenient vent tend to offer an equally, if not more convenient solution.

They still look all the same. A game can be gamey AND immersive, it doesn't need to be Heavy Rain.

And also I don't have a problem with "gamey games" normally. I'm actually an arcade fan, so...but for some reason DX3 seems to be an odd mixture. It's just not fleshed out enough. Better AI and more changes in the world design woud've helped though. It all looks the same, not only the vents, the PCs, the EMails, the whatever...they just didn't put enough effort in it.

Thrakier

So that fucking game just got me another hard reset. That's the third time it totally froze my system in about 15 hours playtime. The fuck.

Thrakier

You seem to be inclined to hate the game no matter what, maybe you should stop playing it?

No, I think it's an ok game, like I said, maybe 7 to 8. That's not hating it. I'm talking about it's issues though.

But crashing my system is an absolute no go and I can't find the source of this problem. If it's really just bad game code, then fu.ck EIDOS, yeah.

I just started playing this game after having since like September and I'm about 4 hours into the game so far. When does it start to pick up? Feels like I'm doing a lot of fetch quests and it's quite boring to this point. Thinking about shelving this game and moving on to something else in my backlog.

Is this a slow-burner or is it safe to say that if I haven't really found anything compelling about the game at this point I won't?

And done. And by good fortune my Pacifist was preserved through
the Mailk ambush rescue.
Just need to watch the other endings for the Plat, then another playthrough methinks. I really want to get into hacking robots/turrets and turning them on my enemies.

guest1321

I just started playing this game after having since like September and I'm about 4 hours into the game so far. When does it start to pick up? Feels like I'm doing a lot of fetch quests and it's quite boring to this point. Thinking about shelving this game and moving on to something else in my backlog.

Is this a slow-burner or is it safe to say that if I haven't really found anything compelling about the game at this point I won't?
It depends on what you have done in those four hours. Some people haul ass through the game and others take it slowly. So if you have done a lot of shit really fast and you find it boring I don't really know what to suggest. I really thought the game was a lot of fun after the first 2 hours and I couldn't put it down. All in all (and assuming you generally enjoy this style of gameplay), if you feel like it is going slow, then you are probably going slow. I could be wrong here though.

Top Bottom