• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Deus Ex: Human Revolution |OT| I never asked for this... It gave me lemon-lime

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
I managed to finish it right before my holiday vacation, and really enjoyed it. I wrote a review for it on my site.

I was a big fan of Deus Ex, and came into Human Revolution with skepticism, but in the end, I think it was a worthy successor in that it felt like Deus Ex, and was well designed. My only gripes are the boss battles and that the environments weren't as large as I would have liked them to be (a few more city blocks to explore would have been great, I don't need it open world).

I thought the game was very focused and polished in terms of it's design. Whereas Skyrim feels like an out of control mess of design at times (too big for it's own good), HR felt tighter, yet still open enough for me to feel like I was controlling the outcomes of my objectives.

Nice reintroduction of the series to the masses, and I can only imagine that a sequel would build upon it and expand the scope of the world and game play.

1-D_FTW

[rant]Square can go fuck themselves with a chain saw for putting their shitty, bullshit, outdated Japanese boss crap in my Deus Ex.

1st boss was fine because I just whacked his ass with the emp grenades and unloaded. But this 2nd bitch is killing me with the inventory I have.

I haven't killed anyone since about the 2nd hour and the only lethal weapon I have is the big gun (which I thought would be enough for the bosses). It doesn't appear to be doing jack.

And fuck, if you're gonna put shitty ass bosses in my Deus Ex, put a meter on the damn screen.[/rant]

EDIT: Just wasted 3 Praxis to purchase/upgrade the Typhoon system and that worked. What a great usage of those valuable upgrades:(

Korigama

1./Square had no influence over any part of DX:HR's design.

2./The developer Eidos Montreal outsourced the boss fights to wasn't Japanese, either.

Neki

EDIT: Just wasted 3 Praxis to purchase/upgrade the Typhoon system and that worked. What a great usage of those valuable upgrades:(

it's not like you're ever starved for praxis points, besides early game.

Heh, one of the best weapons combo to use for boss fights is the Stun Gun and fully-upgraded Pistol (With armor-piercing rounds and everything). Use the stun gun to immobilize them, unload a pistol clip to their face, then switch back to the stun gun and repeat. The only potentially tough boss with this method is probably the first one, since your pistol isn't upgraded enough at that point.

inky

it's not like you're ever starved for praxis points, besides early game.

It's not like you need Typhoon either, honestly. I found the boss fights pretty easy with a stealth setup on default difficulty *shrugs* (just use a shitload of grenades).
The only thing I found super hard was
saving Malik.

epmode

They're not that valuable.

Incidentally, that's one of my biggest problems with this game: Everyone winds up with the same build in the end. The first game had it right.

1-D_FTW

Yeah. Was back up to 4 fairly quickly.

Although I missed the tuff consequences of the first game, still really enjoying this game and will do a 2nd play through eventually.

Just spent the last hour trying to beat Barett. Uhm, fuck him. Whats the best strategy? I brough a missile launcher thinking it'd be enough, but it wasnt, So stupid.

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
Just spent the last hour trying to beat Barett. Uhm, fuck him. Whats the best strategy? I brough a missile launcher thinking it'd be enough, but it wasnt, So stupid.

i actually found him really fun, you just gotta dance around the place and shoot him when you can. its really intense

I'm thinking about starting this tomorrow. This will be my first Deus Ex game. Anything I need to know? If I opt to do the no-kill playthrough, how hard is it to do that?

epmode

I'm thinking about starting this tomorrow. This will be my first Deus Ex game. Anything I need to know? If I opt to do the no-kill playthrough, how hard is it to do that?

It's only difficult if you want the achievement. Speaking from experience, the playstyle is easy enough but making ABSOLUTELY SURE that you didn't trigger a bug that kills an already-stunned body just isn't worth the hassle.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.

Put at least one Praxsis Point into the Typhoon so you can move past the boss fights in mere seconds. It's best to not consider them a part of the game.

Just started playing after picking it up in the Steam sale. Pretty good so far. Some of the most fun I've had stealthing since MGS3. My only complaint is that I was trying to go non-lethal for the most part, so I didn't pick up any powerhouse weapons, which was a pain in the ass when
I had to fight the augmented guy.

SamuraiX-

I think I'm about to fight Barrett pretty soon. Will the standard shotgun and combat rifle be enough to take him down on "Give Me A Challenge"? I'm stocked with stun grenades, frag grenades, and a stun gun too.

Also, one thing I noticed very early on and is now starting to make me a little uncomfortable is that David Sarif sounds almost exactly like my old boss... except now when I'm being assigned to tasks, they feel orders of magnitude more important. lol

Also, the game is absolutely incredible. Love the entire lore and world that developers established and the amount of choices available to you in terms of tackling your objectives is so good it's almost bad. haha Even though I find a route that works to sneak by sentries, I end up going back and trying to find another one because I feel like I have to experience everything on my first playthrough. Trying to break the habit as I go along. I'm also in the camp of this being my first Deus Ex game. Definitely will be in my Top 3 for GOTY.

Labadal

I think I'm about to fight Barrett pretty soon. Will the standard shotgun and combat rifle be enough to take him down on "Give Me A Challenge"? I'm stocked with stun grenades, frag grenades, and a stun gun too.

Also, one thing I noticed very early on and is now starting to make me a little uncomfortable is that David Sarif sounds almost exactly like my old boss... except now when I'm being assigned to tasks, they feel orders of magnitude more important. lol

Also, the game is absolutely incredible. Love the entire lore and world that developers established and the amount of choices available to you in terms of tackling your objectives is so good it's almost bad. haha Even though I find a route that works to sneak by sentries, I end up going back and trying to find another one because I feel like I have to experience everything on my first playthrough. Trying to break the habit as I go along. I'm also in the camp of this being my first Deus Ex game. Definitely will be in my Top 3 for GOTY.

You're good to go. Stun gun hin, then unleash some damage, repeat.

Playing non-lethally is really, really fun and satisfying, but getting the achievement can be a real pain. There's quite a few times where the game glitches, and enemies that shouldn't be dead randomly dying, preventing you from getting the achievement. And there's no way to know that you accidentally killed someone in the first two hours of the game (preventing you from getting the achievement) until you beat the game and discover you didn't get it.

I wouldn't worry too much about the achievement, but I would definitely recommend a non-lethal playthrough. There's a good range of non-lethal weapons, and it feels so satisfying to be able to play a first person shooter where you never have to kill a single person -- boss battles aside, but I think we all just try and forget about those.

You should be fine. He's really not that hard. Use this combo:

Stun gun -> Let it reload -> Unload on him with the shotgun -> Stun him again -> Unload with the shotgun again, then run away and start throwing the gas cannisters and explosive barrels at him. He'll be down in no time.

Beat the game last week (kept it shelved since release). Excellent follow up to the original in my opinion.

Story was not the most involving, but the "multiple ways of entering and leaving a room' design concept is still fresh and exiting all those years later.

Most of all, I really loved the setting. I don't know what it is about the "dangerous streets" and "seedy allies" that make for good environments, but I love them.

SamuraiX-

You're good to go. Stun gun hin, then unleash some damage, repeat.
You should be fine. He's really not that hard. Use this combo:

Stun gun -> Let it reload -> Unload on him with the shotgun -> Stun him again -> Unload with the shotgun again, then run away and start throwing the gas cannisters and explosive barrels at him. He'll be down in no time.

Thanks guys. Yeah, just beat him. I can see why people were complaining about the boss battles now. Concussion grenades were a Godsend. Seems like the shotgun is much more effective than the combat rifle. I used about 50 rounds of the combat rifle and only about 5-8 rounds of the shotgun. I imagine with only the combat rifle it would have taken +150 rounds to take him down.

Overall, not as bad as I thought it would be. It was actually pretty fun. Although that's probably because I came prepared.

Neki

It's not like you need Typhoon either, honestly. I found the boss fights pretty easy with a stealth setup on default difficulty *shrugs* (just use a shitload of grenades).
The only thing I found super hard was
saving Malik.

Doing that was easy.
Only people you needed to worry about were the heavy gunners and the bot. Everyone else was disabled by the PEPs shotgun and CQC, while using an EMP on the bot. :p

Also, pro tip on the 1st boss fight.
You barely have to waste any ammo if you just throw environmental objects at him. I struggled too, but then I saw you could just throw barrrels at him and one shot it, easy

Maffis

On the first boss -
Barrett
- I just threw a couple of grenades on him and unloaded 1 clip of AR rounds in his head and won. I was like, is that all?

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
I bough the more batery augmentation. Now I have two red bateries and one green. I can only use the green batery. What am I missing?

Only one battery recharges naturally. You need to eat the energy bars to recharge an additional (or more) batteries. Its one of the less sensible aspects of the game.

Neki

I can see the logic behind it, but does the game explicit tell you that you only get one bar refillable? The extra bars are only useful for extended cloaking, but even then, it's not needed.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
I can see the logic behind it, but does the game explicit tell you that you only get one bar refillable? The extra bars are only useful for extended cloaking, but even then, it's not needed.

It makes sense from a balance point of view, as it prevents camping to charge up all your batteries and then unleashing a fury of unstoppable powers. But it becomes a bit broken, or perhaps unfair on the player, when you drain a whole battery doing certain skills.

I might have all batteries fully charged, have cleaned a room of enemies, and then decide I want to punch through a wall or something to find out what's behind it. That drains a whole battery that I cant recharge as it has been 'used', and the recharge only drains the first battery. It cheats you out of a charge.

It should have scaled the other way. A single battery using power should always use the first battery, so if you use just it you can recharge and go on your merry way. Then if you want to use a flurry of battery powered attacks and abilities it starts eating into your 'reserve' batteries, which you then need to charge up with energy bars.

Crispy

Just got this a few weeks ago and been playing through slowly. Wanted to comment about the bosses, since I just beat the second one. Could be a teeny bit spoilery if you're not there yet.

I've been playing a stealth walkthrough on give me deus ex, so I had some trouble with the bosses. But after a few tries I beat them, both times because of glitches. The first one just stood there, unloading his gun on the pillar I stood behind until he overheated and I could headshot him with the 10mm for a few rounds.

The second boss kept running into a wall, so I could unload my heavy rifle on her without her doing anything. A shame, because I liked the options of tracking her movements and trying to outwit her.

Suffice to say I think the bosses are the game's weakest point by far.

Dries

Is there a way to beat the second boss
Yelena
without:

- Typhoon
- Mines
- Any other kind of big gun
- Stun gun

What I do have is:

- Pistol
- Sniper
- Frag grenades

Am I fucked? Fuckin' boss fights.. almost makes me want to quit the game. What were they thinking..?!

Atruvius

Yelena
without:

- Typhoon
- Mines
- Stun gun

What I do have is:

- Pistol
- Sniper
- Frag grenades

Am I fucked? Fuckin' boss fights.. almost makes me want to quit the game. What were they thinking..?!
There are several lockers in the room. Open them, they contain guns, grenades etc. Run in circles and shoot her when she stops. Make her break those electric panels.

Prelithe

Yelena
without:

- Typhoon
- Mines
- Stun gun

What I do have is:

- Pistol
- Sniper
- Frag grenades

There are lockers all around with weapons and mines and stuff.

Doomshine

Just got this a few weeks ago and been playing through slowly. Wanted to comment about the bosses, since I just beat the second one. Could be a teeny bit spoilery if you're not there yet.

I've been playing a stealth walkthrough on give me deus ex, so I had some trouble with the bosses. But after a few tries I beat them, both times because of glitches. The first one just stood there, unloading his gun on the pillar I stood behind until he overheated and I could headshot him with the 10mm for a few rounds.

The second boss kept running into a wall, so I could unload my heavy rifle on her without her doing anything. A shame, because I liked the options of tracking her movements and trying to outwit her.

Suffice to say I think the bosses are the game's weakest point by far.

I'm playing stealth/non-lethal too, but I didn't have much trouble since I had stocked up on so many grenades and mines. Used frag grenades for the first and emp mines/grenades for the second. Oh and a Machine Pistol that I've been putting all weapon upgrades into.

I was actually pleasantly surprised that I could kill the bosses fairly quickly after all I've heard about them.

Truant

I had to reinstall windows, and now the game locks up all the time. It freezes after load screens, and sometimes when I enter the main menu. Anyone else having these issues?

On W7 Enterprise 64-bit, GTX580 with the latest drivers. Downloaded from Steam. DX11.

SamuraiX-

Has anyone experienced the game just straight up crashing your system after you press the Start button at the opening screen? It's happened to me twice now where after I hit start, the screen goes black and game goes absolutely silent. I can't even use the power button to turn the system off so I have to resort to pulling the power cord.

This is on the PlayStation 3.

Holy crap! I always assumed that
Adam's mirror was broken because he hit it when saw himself augmented. But he actually admits it in this video at around 16:00: www.youtube.com/watch?v=4J03iecBxuI. Not sure why Adam didn't say that when I played that sequence. I thought I chose the same responses. Guess I chose something different there.

That was also one of my favorite parts of the game. I absolutely love the little details like that.

Also, I noticed the animations in that sequence (and a lot of the "social takedown" encounters) were actually really good. Too bad the animations in most of the game were pretty terrible. =(

Crispy

I'm playing stealth/non-lethal too, but I didn't have much trouble since I had stocked up on so many grenades and mines. Used frag grenades for the first and emp mines/grenades for the second. Oh and a Machine Pistol that I've been putting all weapon upgrades into.

I was actually pleasantly surprised that I could kill the bosses fairly quickly after all I've heard about them.

I reloaded my save after winning to fight them again, then I beat them without the glitches! Can't say it was easy though, playing all those RPG's and skipping on the FPS games has made me soft :p

Especially the first boss surprised me with the brutal in your face heavy rifle killing me in mere seconds the first few times after all I did up to that point was sneaking and stealth killing guys.

derFeef

Yelena
without:

- Typhoon
- Mines
- Stun gun

What I do have is:

- Pistol
- Sniper
- Frag grenades

I used like 50 stun gun shots. It was boring as hell, but worked fine. Fucking bossfights...
If I did not have a stun gun like you, I would have been screwed as well.

thetechkid

I forgot that there was DLC for the game, how much is it supposed to be and is it worth it? I'm been kinda wanting to go all mad murderer again.

Forkball

I forgot that there was DLC for the game, how much is it supposed to be and is it worth it? I'm been kinda wanting to go all mad murderer again.

It's $15 but it's been cheaper. The DLC is very good. It adds about 4 or so more hours of gameplay, gives some backstory on certain events of the main game, and actually has a boss fight that isn't horrible. If you enjoyed the main game you'd enjoy the DLC.

alf717

This game is fantastic! I loved it from beginning to end. The DLC is a blast as well. I hope to see more Deus Ex in future.

2./The developer Eidos Montreal outsourced the boss fights to wasn't Japanese, either.

Thats a shame. I remember fighting Yelena Fedorova. She got stuck cloaked and running full speed into a pillar so all I had to do was unload revolver rounds on her. Why would you outsource part of your game to someone? Did they even supervise the process? Its not terrible but just makes what could of been a fun / challenge part of the game a cake walk.

fresquito

It makes sense from a balance point of view, as it prevents camping to charge up all your batteries and then unleashing a fury of unstoppable powers. But it becomes a bit broken, or perhaps unfair on the player, when you drain a whole battery doing certain skills.

I might have all batteries fully charged, have cleaned a room of enemies, and then decide I want to punch through a wall or something to find out what's behind it. That drains a whole battery that I cant recharge as it has been 'used', and the recharge only drains the first battery. It cheats you out of a charge.

It should have scaled the other way. A single battery using power should always use the first battery, so if you use just it you can recharge and go on your merry way. Then if you want to use a flurry of battery powered attacks and abilities it starts eating into your 'reserve' batteries, which you then need to charge up with energy bars.
That solution makes much more sense.

1-D_FTW

This game is fantastic! I loved it from beginning to end. The DLC is a blast as well. I hope to see more Deus Ex in future.

Thats a shame. I remember fighting Yelena Fedorova. She got stuck cloaked and running full speed into a pillar so all I had to do was unload revolver rounds on her. Why would you outsource part of your game to someone? Did they even supervise the process? Its not terrible but just makes what could of been a fun / challenge part of the game a cake walk.

My personal theory is Square told them games have to have bosses. And since they really hadn't planned on it, Square "helped" them out by hiring somebody else to get it done for them.

Could be wrong. But it's my theory on this.

EDIT: I stand corrected. Maybe I can't blame Square for this. But it feels so natural. And good.

\/\/\/\/

They designed the boss fights, they outsourced them because they weren't going to meet their deadline otherwise. The team @ Eidos Montreal was working on finishing and polishing the rest of the game while the other developer implemented the boss fights.

The boss fights are 100% Eidos Montreal's fault.. as they did design the encounters themselves..

The one that they put into The Missing Link is much more like what the others should have been, imo.

goodfella

Just as a random point for anyone who has suffered the same stuttering that I have on PC.

Try playing in windowed mode!

Months of putting off playing this game finally come to an end. :D

Thrakier

Just as a random point for anyone who has suffered the same stuttering that I have on PC.

Try playing in windowed mode!

Months of putting off playing this game finally come to an end. :D

Or just use the nvidia framerate limiter and lock it to whatever is possible..

Top Bottom