• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Deus Ex: Human Revolution |OT| I never asked for this... It gave me lemon-lime

goodfella

Is it possible to play it windowed without borders? I haven't looked that up at all.

I just looked it up, and apparently pressing alt+enter goes to windowed mode without boarders, but I'm not sure if that is actually full screen.

If it doesn't work, you can set the aspect ratio to auto, so at least when you maximise it, it won't be stretched weirdly.

prophecy0

Just as a random point for anyone who has suffered the same stuttering that I have on PC.

Try playing in windowed mode!

Months of putting off playing this game finally come to an end. :D

I decided to play through The Missing Link last night and the stuttering is driving me insane. When I try using windowed mode I lose the option to set the resolution. How to I set the resolution for windowed mode?

EDIT: Nevermind! The following fix from the Eiidos forums fixed it:

1. Uninstall nVidia 3d drivers (since I never use them).

2. Go to C:\???\Steam\steamapps\common\deus ex-human revolution\redist

3. Manually install directx and vc, run both as administrator. (right click, go to properties, compatibility tab)

4. Restart computer.

Source: http://forums.eidosgames.com/showthread.php?t=120907

SamuraiX-

Keep in mind that you can't use them at all. Even if you save your game, then mess around with a gun and then reload back to the save, you won't get the achievement and will have to start over. You can pick weapons up, just never use them. I would recommend dropping them all if you accidentally pick them up.

Good to know! Thanks for the tip! :D

On another note, I'm replaying the game on "Give Me Deus Ex" and it feels so satisfying knowing exactly what I need to do and where I need to go. I'm challenging myself by only using a specific set of firearms on this playthrough, namely: a silenced sniper rifle, a revolver, and a 10mm pistol. I'm sure this'll definitely make my encounters with the bosses much more interesting. :p

Pakkidis

Just started and finished the tutorial level. I am going pure stealth, no kills and hopefully no alarms.

1) If an enemy sees me and I run away, is that considered an alarm? Or does the enemy have to trigger an alarm for it to count?

2) What type of ammo/guns are their for a no kill playthrough? All tranquilizer ammo?

3) What upgrades are useful early on for pure stealth?

Jamesways

Just started and finished the tutorial level. I am going pure stealth, no kills and hopefully no alarms.

1) If an enemy sees me and I run away, is that considered an alarm? Or does the enemy have to trigger an alarm for it to count?

2) What type of ammo/guns are their for a no kill playthrough? All tranquilizer ammo?

3) What upgrades are useful early on for pure stealth?

1) No it's not. They have to trigger the alarm.

2)I used the Tranq Gun, Stun Gun, and kept the Revolver and grenades for boss battles. I highly recommend having both non-leathal guns. Having just one or the other may make it needlessly difficult in some areas.

3)Hacking (capture and stealth), the Camo is your life saver, batteries and faster recharge for using camo longer, and then the ones you'd need normally, heavy lifting, icarus, jumping. See through walls will help too. Don't worry about the "Stealth" ones, they're a waste honestly. Be careful with the punching through walls, if you do it to a guard it's lethal.

Pakkidis

Ok, just finished the first mission doing stealth, no alarm. I am really loving the game however a few things bother me. Sometimes an enemy won't see me if I am crouching and other times, they spot me right away.

The secondary objective did not show up on my map or screen during the mission and thus had no way of knowing where I was suppose to go to save the hostages.

I used all my praxis points on hacking so far and hacked almost every door in sarif industries.

I just got outside in detroit and so far I'm really loving it, already feels more "deus-ex" than invisible war.

Edit: When enemies spot you and go hostile is that considered an alarm?

Edit 2: Is it worth while to put points in turret or robot in the hacking tree? If I hack a turret and it kills someone is that considered a kill from me?

Atruvius

Edit 2: Is it worth while to put points in turret or robot in the hacking tree? If I hack a turret and it kills someone is that considered a kill from me?
It is totally worth it! Buy the heavy lifting skill. Hack a turret and you can just carry it around and let it do all the shooting. Hacked turret kills are counted as yours.

Pakkidis

It is totally worth it! Buy the heavy lifting skill. Hack a turret and you can just carry it around and let it do all the shooting. Hacked turret kills are counted as yours.

I'm actually going pure stealth, no kills so I'm not too sure that would work for me :p

I started my Foxiest/Pacifist run on easy and just want a few tips.
1. I got spotted by the very first 2 guards in Sarif walking up the stairs but wasn't spotted afterwards. Is there an alarm in that room?
2. I chose the stun gun before the manufacturing plant (where I'm now). Good idea, or is the rifle better in general? I didn't find my own stun gun until the FEMA level.

SamuraiX-

I started my Foxiest/Pacifist run on easy and just want a few tips.
1. I got spotted by the very first 2 guards in Sarif walking up the stairs but wasn't spotted afterwards. Is there an alarm in that room?
2. I chose the stun gun before the manufacturing plant (where I'm now). Good idea, or is the rifle better in general? I didn't find my own stun gun until the FEMA level.

1. I don't think it matters if anyone sees you in the tutorial level because there are no alarms for any hostile soldiers to sound since
they are infiltrating Sarif Industries.
2. Both are useful depending on your playstyle. I love snipers, but in Human Revolution I always found myself wanting to get up close and personal to enjoy dem sweet takedowns so I ended up using the Tranq rifle a lot less frequently than I thought I would.

Just a tip: you may or may not know already that the tranquilizer rifle can occasionally glitch and register as a kill when you take someone down with it. People have found this happens most frequently with head shots. It actually also happened to me once with the stun gun as well.

So before moving on from any given area always check the bodies of any enemies you may have taken out in that area to make sure they are indeed not dead. The best approach is probably to proceed through the game while neutralizing as few sentries as possible.

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
So before moving on from any given area always check the bodies of any enemies you may have taken out in that area to make sure they are indeed not dead. The best approach is probably to proceed through the game while neutralizing as few sentries as possible.

In my Fox/Pacifist run I registered many accidental "deaths" with both the stun and tranq and I still got both chieves.

SamuraiX-

In my Fox/Pacifist run I registered many accidental "deaths" with both the stun and tranq and I still got both chieves.

I'm guessing you purposefully went forward to test if these "deaths" really counted, huh? :p

You hear stories from both sides. I've heard some say they still get the award despite the game glitching, while others swear up and down they neutralized as few people as possible non-lethally and still didn't get it. Although maybe it was something like robots exploding near enemies and killing them (which does count as a kill) that these people experienced in their playthroughs.

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
I'm guessing you purposefully went forward to test if these "deaths" really counted, huh? :p

You hear stories from both sides. I've heard some say they still get the award despite the game glitching, while others swear up and down they neutralized as few people as possible non-lethally and still didn't get it. Although maybe it was something like robots exploding near enemies and killing them (which does count as a kill) that these people experienced in their playthroughs.

I read on xbox360achievements.com that they didn't negate the achievement, so I just kinda crossed my fingers and went along with it. I figured the game was good enough that I had no problem playing through it again if the achievement failed, but I didn't need to. Got the full 1000 in a single run. I even went through the scene where you save [spoiler person] without using anything other than the tranq and stun and it didn't negate the achievement even though there were 2 guys with skull and crossbones after the fracas.

Can't speak for any incidental deaths from exploding robots or barrels, but if you only use stun and tranq, even if you kill guys with them you should pop the achievement.

dangeROSS

I just started this game the other day. So far I am really enjoying it. I love the overall aesthetics of the world. Very neat looking. And I've expierenced some interesting gameplay situations. I guess I spent too much time exploring the Sarif building before accepting the first mission, and as a result bad things happened to some people. I had no idea the game would take time into account like that. I was chastised by a character for exploring the womens bathrooms. And I met a character who shared a name with a famous 80's movie Detriot cop. So good.

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
random thought but i enjoyed this in the games script:

dragon lady when she uses her feminine wiles against jensen: "men never fail to underestimate women"

jensen when he realizes his masculine tendency to put off trips to the doctor has saved him
: "women never fail to underestimate men"

at least thats how i saw it

jokes

Easy_D

never left the stone age
So, GAF. I'm having issues with the game, it's running pretty horrible. I get slowdowns in a lot of places that make no sense, it's especially bad in DX9 mode, DX11 helps a bit but still enough slowdown to become annoying :\.

Like the main lobby of Sarif HQ and several parts of Detroit so far run pretty crappy and I can't understand why considering the preview build ran just fine. I'm betting it's an AMD issue since they always manage to fuck something up with a few games with each driver release :\.

Currently using a HD5870 1gB on Catalyst 01.12 (Newest jan release)

So, GAF. I'm having issues with the game, it's running pretty horrible. I get slowdowns in a lot of places that make no sense, it's especially bad in DX9 mode, DX11 helps a bit but still enough slowdown to become annoying :\.

Like the main lobby of Sarif HQ and several parts of Detroit so far run pretty crappy and I can't understand why considering the preview build ran just fine. I'm betting it's an AMD issue since they always manage to fuck something up with a few games with each driver release :\.

Hm, not sure what to tell you...when the game came out there were a ton of stuttering issues, but they patched it pretty well. Certain cards still seem to have issues, though. Might just want to try messing around with the different settings, one of them might be causing issues.

So I just arrived in
Singapore via that pod. (Chapter 14)
How long are these last two chapters?

Trying to remember how long it took me...
five or six hours maybe? Singapore is a fairly long level, and the level after it is a few hours as well. Definitely depends on how you play it, too.

Yen

If you have healing items, just run up to him and typhoon him a couple of times
Didn't have typhoon. Didn't have any ammo but for combat rifle, 2 frag mines and 3 emp mines. :(
Boss fights are so bad.
Failed at talking to Darrow so I killed him and I'm trying to find Sarif and whoever else is in the facility

Easy_D

never left the stone age

For reference, graphical settings don't do a lot, though they seem to help a bit when set to low. The preview build ran much better (Especially weird since I keep hearing the retail release was a much stabler and better peforming build in all)

Edit: Nevermind, the game apparently felt like running at decent speeds now, only small areas that are affected too. How random.

Yen

Just finished.
Chose the self destruct option. Jenson's monolgue did a good job in convincing me I made the right choice!
Noticed a Dublin GAA shirt in the credits. Cool!

I just started playing after picking this up during the christmas sale, but I'm having a problem. Sound seems to be off by a half second for everything. Not just the voice overs, but weapons as well. I didnt run into this problem with the preview build so it's kind of strange to see it now.

Anyone else have this problem or know of any solutions?

desh

Is the genre of this game RPG or is it Action-Adventure?

Sure, there are experience points, and you get praxis kits, but both of these lead to straight upgrades to Jensen. Jensen never levels up, he just gets upgrades much like Samus in Metroid or Link in the Zelda series. So to me, this plays more like an Action-Adventure than an RPG.

Zeppelin

I started the game yesterday, pretty disappointed so far. I encountered some really weird save bug where I reloaded my oldest autosave by mistake and it reverted all the later saves to saves earlier than that one. Kind of hard to explain, anyone else had that?

Other than that the controls are unnecessarily weird (maybe I could change them, haven't looked into that) and I found it hard to get a sense of where I'm supposed to go. I just ended up traversing the first mission, completely missing the hostages. I have absolutely no idea where they were being held. I guess both of those things were kind of true for the original too though.

The AI is pretty cool, I'm getting caught a lot. I guess most of this is because I'm coming from 120 hours of 'sneaking' in Skyrim. And the music is fucking superb. The way it just lies there in the background, waiting to explode - awesome.

I started the game yesterday, pretty disappointed so far. I encountered some really weird save bug where I reloaded my oldest autosave by mistake and it reverted all the later saves to saves earlier than that one. Kind of hard to explain, anyone else had that?

Other than that the controls are unnecessarily weird (maybe I could change them, haven't looked into that) and I found it hard to get a sense of where I'm supposed to go. I just ended up traversing the first mission, completely missing the hostages. I have absolutely no idea where they were being held. I guess both of those things were kind of true for the original too though.

The AI is pretty cool, I'm getting caught a lot. I guess most of this is because I'm coming from 120 hours of 'sneaking' in Skyrim. And the music is fucking superb. The way it just lies there in the background, waiting to explode - awesome.

Well, a big point of the game is to explore every nook and cranny...plus, there's the radar, and the option to have mission objectives on the screen. Those two make exploring too easy, so I turned mission objectives off. Plus, the area the hostages were in is really, really obvious. Not sure how you missed it.

Not sure about the controls, they were pretty typical for a game like this. Nothing out of the ordinary.

Zeppelin

Well, a big point of the game is to explore every nook and cranny...plus, there's the radar, and the option to have mission objectives on the screen. Those two make exploring too easy, so I turned mission objectives off. Plus, the area the hostages were in is really, really obvious. Not sure how you missed it.

Not sure about the controls, they were pretty typical for a game like this. Nothing out of the ordinary.

I don't know man, maybe I just suck at navigating the UI, but couldn't even find any information about the hostages in the menus after being told about it. I'll finish the game though. Hopefully it grows on me.

About the controls: irons sights on RS? Holding LT to cover? Feels weird.

Edit: Just booted up the game. Looks like I might have accidentally inactivated the hostage objective!

Spoiler for hostage related question for you

Did you wait around the Sarif offices for awhile before getting on the plane to go to the mission? If you mess around the Sarif offices for too long the hostages will be killed before you can get to them

Zeppelin

Spoiler for hostage related question for you

Did you wait around the Sarif offices for awhile before getting on the plane to go to the mission? If you mess around the Sarif offices for too long the hostages will be killed before you can get to them

Hm, I don't think so. I was probably just not paying enough attention to my surroundings while playing that mission. I'll have to look into it on my second playthrough.

dangeROSS

Yea, I made that mistake about the hostages. Since then I've tried to do things in a timely manner. I still feel bad about messing that one up. I've started playing a bit more violently, but still stealthy. I enjoy the sneakiness in this game. I think I'm probably at or beyond the half-way point of the game now. I don't want it to end. I'm glad I picked up the DLC now.

fresquito

Just beat the second boss. After the first, I thought the complains about boss fights were too harsh, but after beating the second, wow, what a sucky fight that's been! They really don't belong in there. I'm astonished that such a thing could go through developement without anyone saying: hey, this sucks big time, let's axe it!

Gambit

Just beat the second boss. After the first, I thought the complains about boss fights were too harsh, but after beating the second, wow, what a sucky fight that's been! They really don't belong in there. I'm astonished that such a thing could go through developement without anyone saying: hey, this sucks big time, let's axe it!

Last night I beat the first boss and finally understood why people were complaining. It really goes against my playstyle and just for the boss, I basically have to learn how to play a different game. A game I neither want, nor am good at.

Shame that it continues that way. How many bosses are there? I don't mind spoilers, I just want to prepare myself mentally.

Zeppelin

Last night I beat the first boss and finally understood why people were complaining. It really goes against my playstyle and just for the boss, I basically have to learn how to play a different game. A game I neither want, nor am good at.

Shame that it continues that way. How many bosses are there? I don't mind spoilers, I just want to prepare myself mentally.

Yeah... just beat the first boss as well. What were they thinking?!

3 primary bosses in the game, and then the "final boss".

I seem to remember reading about a fan made mod that helped with the constant stuttering. Anyone know what I'm talking about? This is kind of unbearable in Detroit.

dangeROSS

Just finished this last night. I really enjoyed it. The boss battles were kinda out of place, but I don't think they were THAT bad. I'm looking forward to trying the DLC now. Has anyone read the Deus Ex: Icarus Effect novel? I found the game's universe interesting and I want to check it out. I guess there were some comics as well? I need more cyberpunk-y goodness.

I seem to remember reading about a fan made mod that helped with the constant stuttering. Anyone know what I'm talking about? This is kind of unbearable in Detroit.

ENB maybe? For me it didn't really help with stuttering, it just gave it unbearable mouse lag.

I would make sure you're running the newest drivers for your video card. They pretty much resolved most of the stuttering issues.

Just finished this last night. I really enjoyed it. The boss battles were kinda out of place, but I don't think they were THAT bad. I'm looking forward to trying the DLC now. Has anyone read the Deus Ex: Icarus Effect novel? I found the game's universe interesting and I want to check it out. I guess there were some comics as well? I need more cyberpunk-y goodness.

I have the Icarus Effect, but I haven't gotten around to reading it yet. Usually I'm very hesitant when it comes to a game based novel, but I was intrigued as it was actually written by one of the game's writers (rather then just a tie-in from some fan fiction author). I'll post in here how it is once I read it.

There was a comic that came with the Augmented Edition, but it was kind of meh, to be honest.

dangeROSS

Yea, I know how you feel about novel tie-in's with games. But from what I heard the Icarus Effect novel was supposed to be done pretty well. And like you said has an honest to goodness author for it. I hadn't heard about the comics until just recently. But I liked a set of comic's from Mirror's Edge that I saw at a Barnes & Noble a little while ago. So I'm hoping comic tie in's would be getting better too.

ENB maybe? For me it didn't really help with stuttering, it just gave it unbearable mouse lag.

I would make sure you're running the newest drivers for your video card. They pretty much resolved most of the stuttering issues.

Yup it was ENB and it did help slightly but the mouse lag was unbearable. I also have extreme framerate problems outside the police station and a few other places with SSAO on. Newest drivers. Considering that I have an AMD card I would think it would run better.

Oh well. Not game breaking just disappointing.

Edgeward

I have the latest drivers, turned off SSAO, no AA, shadows and going to only 720 and the game stutters like crazy! *Sigh* Another game to wait on to play till I build my new pc. One without an ATI card.

Prelithe

I have the latest drivers, turned off SSAO, no AA, shadows and going to only 720 and the game stutters like crazy! *Sigh* Another game to wait on to play till I build my new pc. One without an ATI card.

Try the ENB mod (http://enbseries.enbdev.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=12). Human revolution isn't too taxing, but stuttering is a wide known issue, regardless of hardware specs.

Unlike I H8 Memes, I didn't feel that there was any mouse lag with the mod, but to be fair, I always play games with vsync on so I'm used to it.

Numpt3

Don't know if it's been mentioned before but the Missing Link DLC is currently 600 space bucks on xbl. Been waiting for it to drop for ages...

Top Bottom