• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Deus Ex: Human Revolution |OT| I never asked for this... It gave me lemon-lime

I need some help finding a sidequest. According to my friend there is
There is a sidequest you can do before leaving Detroit that explains a lot about Adam's past by talking to an old lady in the same apartment building that's guarded by an ex-cop. But in order to find her we need to talk to that ex-cop before he leave and unfortunately I did the sidequest where we interrogate him and get info about that corrupt cop. Any other way to start it?
try to read through this:
http://www.gamebanshee.com/deusexhumanrevolution/walkthrough/detroitdowntownapartmentsreturn.php
hope it helps.

I need some help finding a sidequest. According to my friend there is
There is a sidequest you can do before leaving Detroit that explains a lot about Adam's past by talking to an old lady in the same apartment building that's guarded by an ex-cop. But in order to find her we need to talk to that ex-cop before he leave and unfortunately I did the sidequest where we interrogate him and get info about that corrupt cop. Any other way to start it?

Wait,
it sounds like you're still in Detroit for the first time. It was the Blood Money sidequest you just finished, right? You don't get the sidequest where you meet the old lady until you come back to Detroit later in the game (probably some 15-20 hours later in the game).

PowerK

Hmm.. this game is hard.
I remember that I bought original Duex Ex back in 2000 (if my memory serves correctly) based on good reviews (I played it on P3 833 Coppermine with GeForce 2 GTS), couldn't get into it. This time, what the hell, 75% sales from gamersgate, good reviews again.. spent about 2 hours last night, couldn't get into it. Perhaps, I'm playing it in a wrong way. Is this supposed to be first person Metal Gear Solid/Splinter Cell in that I should take time and play stealthy ?

1stStrike

Banned
Hmm.. this game is hard.
I remember that I bought original Duex Ex back in 2000 (if my memory serves correctly) based on good reviews (I played it on P3 833 Coppermine with GeForce 2 GTS), couldn't get into it. This time, what the hell, 75% sales from gamersgate, good reviews again.. spent about 2 hours last night, couldn't get into it. Perhaps, I'm playing it in a wrong way. Is this supposed to be first person Metal Gear Solid/Splinter Cell in that I should take time and play stealthy ?

It's hard regardless of how you play the game. A lot of trial and error, for sure. Even on normal difficulty I was still consistently challenged throughout the game, and died/got spotted quite a few times.

You can go rambo, but I think playing stealthy is the way it was meant to really be played. Just stick it out a bit longer and unlock some more powers. It gets better, especially once you get to China. That whole area is just awesome.

sixghost

Just finished it, what a good game.

I'm pretty bummed out that I didn't get the pacifism achievement, I can't remember a single person that I killed. Unless I accidentally held B instead of tapped it once, I was pretty sure that I was non-lethal the whole game, oh well.

People really weren't kidding about the bosses in this game, oh my god were those fights completely incongruous with the rest of the game. The first boss was easy enough once you figured out you needed to use the barrels and stuff around the room, but #2 and #3 on Give Me Deus Ex were ridiculous. I didn't have typhoon or EMP shielding, so the second fight took me about 25 tries before I basically figured out a way to cheese the shit out of the boss. It took upwards of 45 shotgun shots fired point blank to kill her, and she just glitched out and stopped moving for the last 12. I just gave up on #3 since I got tricked and
lost use of all my augs
, so I was basically screwed.

Roscoe

Neo Member
lost use of all my augs
, so I was basically screwed.

That is your fault for trusting LIMB

Just finished the game tonight, and it was awesome albeit bittersweet. Deus Ex was one of the first games I played on PC back in junior high, and I have some major great memories of that game. Although I played on 360 for HR, a lot of those feelings came back. Finishing BR was bittersweet though because I want more of this universe. The characters, the locations, and the gameplay were top notch.

I want more hubs to explore and more people to talk to. More emails to hack and read, and more Lazarus to overhear.

So much of an improvement over Invisible War. I wish we could erase that game from continuity and pick up this universe up again.

When are these scumbags going to drop the price on the dlc? I've been waiting patiently for a long time now. This is the worst thing about dlc this gen, I'm running out of patience I want more dlc as well while we are at it.

When are these scumbags going to drop the price on the dlc? I've been waiting patiently for a long time now. This is the worst thing about dlc this gen, I'm running out of patience I want more dlc as well while we are at it.

You just missed a steam sale a couple weeks ago. I finally pulled the trigger on the game at that time, and sort of wished I had grabbed the DLC then too. Oh well, there's always the summer sale...

Publishers are obviously still figuring out the market for DLC. A lot of them are not addressing my personal needs very well.

Nelo Ice

Banned

http://www.gamersgate.com/DD-DD-DEHRML/deus-ex-human-revolution-the-missing-link

It's steamworks so u have to use steam to play it.

edit:unless ur talking about the console versions in which case the 360 DLC was on sale a month or 2 ago.

McLovin

Just finished dehr, I know I'm lttp. So.... What the hell is up with those boss battles? I fumbled through that last boss fight and I'm still not sure what the hell was going on. Everything else was great though, except maybe the ai could have been better.

PowerK

It's hard regardless of how you play the game. A lot of trial and error, for sure. Even on normal difficulty I was still consistently challenged throughout the game, and died/got spotted quite a few times.

You can go rambo, but I think playing stealthy is the way it was meant to really be played. Just stick it out a bit longer and unlock some more powers. It gets better, especially once you get to China. That whole area is just awesome.
Thanks for the advice. I enjoyed this game immensely over the weekend. Played stealthy (like Sam Fisher).

I've been finally finishing this up after purchasing the Missing Link content a few weeks back. I really love this game and it easily ranks among my favorites from 2011. Just a great experience all around (almost).!

I know it's very old news and probably beyond a dead horse around here but I can't believe that the boss fights made it past play testing. Truly horrible. Good thing you are able to switch difficulties on the fly otherwise I can't say that I would have bothered to continue. Talk about almost spoiling a great experience - hopefully SE Montreal has taken note.

Montresor

I looove this game. I wish there was a timer that counted all the hours I've poured into this game. It feels like I've played 40+ hours and I just entered
the Tai Young Medical building
. I accidentally read that you re-visit
China
later in the game... That blew me away, because that means there's still so much more goodness left to play.

I know the 40-hour estimate is probably way off. But I've enjoyed taking my sweet time, reading lots of e-mails and pocket secretaries, listening to NPCs' troubles and doing side quests.

The pocket secretaries at
the Alice Garden Pods
were really sad... those guys have crappy digs and a crappy life overall. Those are some tiny apartments. =(

I looove this game. I wish there was a timer that counted all the hours I've poured into this game. It feels like I've played 40+ hours and I just entered
the Tai Young Medical building
. I accidentally read that you re-visit
China
later in the game... That blew me away, because that means there's still so much more goodness left to play.

I know the 40-hour estimate is probably way off. But I've enjoyed taking my sweet time, reading lots of e-mails and pocket secretaries, listening to NPCs' troubles and doing side quests.

The pocket secretaries at
the Alice Garden Pods
were really sad... those guys have crappy digs and a crappy life overall. Those are some tiny apartments. =(

I played it on PC, so I did have a timer. Took me about 45 hours to beat the entire game...

Also, you have a lot more of the game to play. You're nowhere close to the end. =)

sn00zer

having some trouble in what I assume is one of the last side missions
the doctor in the china limb clinic talks about finding some super soldier, I go to the room with the blinking lights and the dead soldier, I pick up the pocket secretary the dead soldier has and I read it, but the mission wont update, it just says to read the pocket secretary, Ive been all over the sewers like it says but havent found anything help?....also I found dead Malik in the gang hideout but there wasnt any dialogue or anything....weird considering they are good friends, i this a glitch or are you just supposed to find the body like an easter egg?

having some trouble in what I assume is one of the last side missions
the doctor in the china limb clinic talks about finding some super soldier, I go to the room with the blinking lights and the dead soldier, I pick up the pocket secretary the dead soldier has and I read it, but the mission wont update, it just says to read the pocket secretary, Ive been all over the sewers like it says but havent found anything help?....also I found dead Malik in the gang hideout but there wasnt any dialogue or anything....weird considering they are good friends, i this a glitch or are you just supposed to find the body like an easter egg?

Yeah, that's a bug. The mission doesn't update for some reason when you pick up the pocket secretary. You can still finish the mission, though, you just have to find the guys. They're in the sewers near the Alice Pod Gardens.

Also, did you know that you can save Malik?

1stStrike

Banned
I did not to late now I guess
EDIT: Thanks for the tip btw

I wish I knew that too. It was heart wrenching after that where
I found Malik's body on a table ready to be harvested by these dudes after she died. I was just like "I SHOULD'VE SAVED YOU! ;_;

sn00zer

I wish I knew that too. It was heart wrenching after that where
I found Malik's body on a table ready to be harvested by these dudes after she died. I was just like "I SHOULD'VE SAVED YOU! ;_;

Feel like he should have said something...also a similar experience
let eye patch guy go free, becomes a one off generic bad guy 10 hours later with no dialogue

Feel like he should have said something...also a similar experience
let eye patch guy go free, becomes a one off generic bad guy 10 hours later with no dialogue

I think most player's reactions really speak for themselves, and Adam's.

RAMAPAGE OF REVENGE.

This is how you make multiple endings game. Well thought out and easy to see them all. Also that little movie that plays after the credits, what it is about? I guess something to do with original Deus Ex right?

All in all I'm mighty impressed and providing DLC is good I might bite on that one as well :)

1stStrike

Banned
This is how you make multiple endings game. Well thought out and easy to see them all. Also that little movie that plays after the credits, what it is about? I guess something to do with original Deus Ex right?

All in all I'm mighty impressed and providing DLC is good I might bite on that one as well :)

The after credits part features Bob, the main bad guy in the original Deus Ex. It's basically the beginning of what really changes everything.

The Missing Link DLC is awesome! I highly recommend it.

Great interview with Warren Spector.

Of particular interest to followers of this thread, turns out he really liked Human Revolution. Good to hear! I actually wondered if he had even played it, but apparently he played through the whole thing. Pretty cool stuff.

Q: You mentioned playing through Human Revolution and obviously since you were intimately involved with Deus Ex a while back, what are your thoughts on Human Revolution and how they've handled it?

Warren Spector: You know I've tried to stay out of that discussion since the game came out. I mean every person I have met at this show had asked me that. And so I'm "just forget it, I'm just going to start talking about it." It was one of the few games I finished, and I know the guys on the team and I know how dedicated they were and how respectful of the original they were; their hearts were in the right place and they did a wonderful job.

And I'm not just saying that. It really captured the spirit of Deus Ex; I mean the moment I booted the game up it sounded like Deus Ex, and they understood the importance of how the game sounded. It had a lot of the sort of gray of the original game where nothing is right and wrong - I really like that a lot. It made me feel like I was making decisions that revealed more about me than it did about my character, which I loved. The interesting thing was - and we don't have time to get into this right now, even if even if I were ready to get into it - my wife will tell you, I screamed at the television as I played this game. I loved the game, at the end of the day, but I screamed constantly because there were two, three, four things they did where I just said "Nooooo, why did you this? Noooo!" and, and it wasn't that it was right or wrong, it was different than what I [expected].

When I got the end of the game and realized that, overall, the experience had been a Deus Ex experience, I sort of sat back and reflected and said, "Ok, they made different design decisions to achieve the same end goals that I had." And some day, either I'm going to write an article about that, or somebody who is getting their master's degree at MIT or someplace, is going to write a master's thesis about the systemic differences, the game system differences between Deus Ex and Deus Ex: Human Revolution. And it's so cool to see philosophical ideas, game-designed philosophy, explored by two different groups to achieve the same goals in completely different ways, in ways that drove me crazy. So it was really cool. I really enjoyed that. Just on an intellectual level, I thought it was fascinating that they did some stuff that just drove me nuts.

Tess3ract

Banned
Did you guys ever see this?

Email.png

Login.png

cilonen

I picked this up as the first game for my new rig when it was offer on Steam (it was on my list to check out) and boy am I glad I did.

Freaking awesome game.

Now to go and revisit the thread!

Montresor

I just beat the game. Loved it - awesome experience.

I can't wait to re-do everything playing stealthily the whole way through. <3 I'm starting up my hard / don't-kill-anyone / don't-set-off-alarms run, and I have a question:

Is it possible to (major character spoiler)
save Malik
without mucking up the don't-set-off-alarms achievement?

I just beat the game. Loved it - awesome experience.

I can't wait to re-do everything playing stealthily the whole way through. <3 I'm starting up my hard / don't-kill-anyone / don't-set-off-alarms run, and I have a question:

Is it possible to (major character spoiler)
save Malik
without mucking up the don't-set-off-alarms achievement?

Yes. I don't think there's any alarms to set off in that area anyway.

cilonen

So, Megan.

At the end, when you find her in Omega Ranch after killing Namir; she's totally boning Darrow, right? I mean - he owns the place, she's all on board with his plan and you find her in that white room, one double bed in there and it's obviously his room - the computer in there has his logon on it. After getting the codes from Darrow in Panchaea I straight up iced the asshole with a single bullet to the head for getting in my ex's pants.

1stStrike

Banned
So, Megan.

At the end, when you find her in Omega Ranch after killing Namir; she's totally boning Darrow, right? I mean - he owns the place, she's all on board with his plan and you find her in that white room, one double bed in there and it's obviously his room - the computer in there has his logon on it. After getting the codes from Darrow in Panchaea I straight up iced the asshole with a single bullet to the head for getting in my ex's pants.

It seems pretty obvious, either way, that
she wants nothing to do with you at this point. She values science above all, and she seems like she'll go to any length to achieve her goals.

cilonen

It seems pretty obvious, either way, that
she wants nothing to do with you at this point. She values science above all, and she seems like she'll go to any length to achieve her goals.

Yeah, I thought
Adam and Malik actually had more of a future, well, assuming you saved her (I did). I felt like most of the way through the game Adam's main driving force with Megan was something less corny than 'true love'; somewhere between loyalty (to his company) and to that of a close friendship albeit more poignant because of the history. I did kind of get the feeling he was moving on in that first elevator conversation they had.

Well, that's my take on what is quite cleverly left reasonably open to interpretation.

Yeah, I thought
Adam and Malik actually had more of a future, well, assuming you saved her (I did). I felt like most of the way through the game Adam's main driving force with Megan was something less corny than 'true love'; somewhere between loyalty (to his company) and to that of a close friendship albeit more poignant because of the history. I did kind of get the feeling he was moving on in that first elevator conversation they had.

Well, that's my take on what is quite cleverly left reasonably open to interpretation.

Good point.

While Megan and Adam seemed close (at least from Adam's perspective) they weren't actually "together" before the game started. I felt he cared about her as a person, and felt a huge responsibility to the mess that happened at Sarif Industries. There are a fair number of times when people in the game point out that Adam was the chief of security at SI and that what happened was partly because of his failure.

I think it was a huge driving force for him, in an effort to redeem himself. Even more than just wanting to rescue Megan (although that was certainly a part of it). He said as much in the confrontation with Taggart, when he said something along the lines of the way he overcame depression after the SI incident was that driving force behind wanting to help those that had been hurt.

cilonen

Back in Detroit, Game feels like it's wrapping up now

There's still a surprising amount left to do. So good though, It's at about this point that I just kept on pushing through it to reach the conclusion. I felt like I rushed the last couple of areas, I'll be able to take my time and savour them more on my next playthrough!

Edit: friendly advice, not really a plot spoiler but still, if you're going for a full vanilla playthrough don't look
Don't get the biochip upgrade when you go back to Hengsha, just don't.
So glad I was suspicious of that.

Tess3ract

Banned
Edit: friendly advice, not really a plot spoiler but still, if you're going for a full vanilla playthrough don't look
Don't get the biochip upgrade when you go back to Hengsha, just don't.
So glad I was suspicious of that.
Is that related to Jensen going "UGH!" and stumbling and the HUD tweaking out?

Montresor

I just finished the first main mission in my second playthrough (
Sarif Manufacturing Plant
), and I'm a bit worried.

I didn't set off a single alarm, and yet I didn't see the Smooth Operator bonus. =/ When does it appear? It's possible it did appear and I just missed it... Either way, no one ever raised a single alarm. I spent a praxis point into heavy lifting so I could move and hide the turret, allowing me to pick up an important e-book without getting spotted by the turret... And cameras sometimes were "suspicious" and guards sometimes "alarmed," but I never had my radar say "hostile."

Good god it's pretty aggravating that there isn't some flag in the main menu that says "You are still a go for the Foxiest Of Hounds achievement!" or "You have negated the Foxiest Of Hounds achievement!" depending on your situation.

I've played what seems like another two or three hours after that, though really all I did was fuck around at Sarif Industries reading e-mails...

Man, I am loving the absolute poo out of this game. Stealthin' is just way too much fun; dat silenced 10mm...

I'm really not sure what's going on story-wise, but I'm not too fussed about that. I've only encountered one boss fight thus far, but it's definitely been the lowlight.

My favourite aug has to be the reflex booster. Those double take-downs are just pure, unadulterated joy.

Montresor

Just entered the (mid-game spoiler)
FEMA facility
on my second playthrough. It's been really satisfying playing everything stealthily and not letting anyone ever catch me and turn my radar "hostile-red." ^_^

Top Bottom