• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Deus Ex: Human Revolution |OT| I never asked for this... It gave me lemon-lime

dangeROSS

Cool. I just finished the DLC last night. It was longer then I expected. I liked that you could do a no-kill run through everything, including bosses. Neat.

BosSin

Just finished this and must say I'm very impressed. I played the game like a man and got pacifist on my first run through (was also trying for foxiest but somewhere down the line I must have made a slight mistake). It's an extremely cool game and I look forward to more from Eidos Montreal, hopefully they can introduce even more great content and new features.

But for now, I was wondering if it would be wise to start playing Missing Link right off the bat? How long is it? I don't want to get jaded by playing the same type of game right after I finished this game, which was quite long.

EDIT:
Oh and what's the comic and book like? Any good?

Just finished this and must say I'm very impressed. I played the game like a man and got pacifist on my first run through (was also trying for foxiest but somewhere down the line I must have made a slight mistake). It's an extremely cool game and I look forward to more from Eidos Montreal, hopefully they can introduce even more great content and new features.

But for now, I was wondering if it would be wise to start playing Missing Link right off the bat? How long is it? I don't want to get jaded by playing the same type of game right after I finished this game, which was quite long.

EDIT:
Oh and what's the comic and book like? Any good?

The Missing Link is really good, but it might be worth taking a bit of a break. Depends on if you get tired from playing too much of the same kind of game. And TML is about 6 hours, give or take an hour or two depending on how you play. One way that might put some variety into it after having just finished the main quest might be to go for the no augs, no weapons, and no explosives playthrough. Very satisfying.

There was a comic that came with the augmented edition, but I wasn't a fan. I have a copy of the book, but haven't gotten very far. I hear it's pretty good. It was actually written by one of the writers of the game, so it wasn't just an outsourced tie in novel.

I'm pretty sure this was mentioned in previous pages, but can anyone tell me a good strategy to beat the Rhianna (2nd boss battle)? I try to lay mines and shit, get some good hits, but then she runs at me and drop kicks my augmented ass. I have a loaded heavy rifle, machine pistol, handgun, revolver (with 8 bullets :(). When it looks like I'm going somewhere in the fight, she electrifies the whole ground and I become toast. I follow Eliza's hints, and they're somewhat helpful. Any halp is appreciated.

gblues

Banned
I'm pretty sure this was mentioned in previous pages, but can anyone tell me a good strategy to beat the Rhianna (2nd boss battle)? I try to lay mines and shit, get some good hits, but then she runs at me and drop kicks my augmented ass. I have a loaded heavy rifle, machine pistol, handgun, revolver (with 8 bullets :(). When it looks like I'm going somewhere in the fight, she electrifies the whole ground and I become toast. I follow Eliza's hints, and they're somewhat helpful. Any halp is appreciated.

If you have a fully upgraded typhoon system, she goes down in 2 hits in "Give me a challenge" difficulty. Otherwise, try to attack her while she's recharging.

Montresor

Hey fellas, I've yet to play Deus Ex but I'm getting ready to.

Are any of the two mini DLC worth getting? I'm on the precipice of buying the Tactical and Explosive pack but I'm just not sure if I should. It seems like they might make my first run too easy.

And on an unrelated note, which games can Deus Ex's hard difficulty be compared to? I want to know if hard will make me hit a brick wall or if normal is too easy. Cheers.

Hey fellas, I've yet to play Deus Ex but I'm getting ready to.

Are any of the two mini DLC worth getting? I'm on the precipice of buying the Tactical and Explosive pack but I'm just not sure if I should. It seems like they might make my first run too easy.

And on an unrelated note, which games can Deus Ex's hard difficulty be compared to? I want to know if hard will make me hit a brick wall or if normal is too easy. Cheers.

I got the preorder Tactical pack bonus. Never used the sniper rifle or the shotgun it gave you, because I've always gone for non lethal playthroughs. The ridiculous amount of credits you get for that pack kind of unbalance things, though. I never hurt for money the entire game.

The Explosive's extra mission supposedly isn't that great. Not sure about the weapon(s).

I don't really think they're worth it, but if the weapon's look cool to you, go for it.

Not sure what to compare the difficulty to, but the game can be pretty hard, especially on the hardest difficulty. You will die fast and the enemies have pretty ridiculously good aim. Stealth will definitely come in handy. I think Normal is a good difficulty for the first time through. It's challenging but not overly frustrating.

Montresor

I got the preorder Tactical pack bonus. Never used the sniper rifle or the shotgun it gave you, because I've always gone for non lethal playthroughs. The ridiculous amount of credits you get for that pack kind of unbalance things, though. I never hurt for money the entire game.

The Explosive's extra mission supposedly isn't that great. Not sure about the weapon(s).

I don't really think they're worth it, but if the weapon's look cool to you, go for it.

Not sure what to compare the difficulty to, but the game can be pretty hard, especially on the hardest difficulty. You will die fast and the enemies have pretty ridiculously good aim. Stealth will definitely come in handy. I think Normal is a good difficulty for the first time through. It's challenging but not overly frustrating.

Thanks a lot for your post Sensei! I've been getting antsy lately as Monday (and this week's deal) is just about to end.

Normal it definitely is. I guess after reading your post I know with 100% certainty that I won't be getting the Tactical pack. Now I'm only unsure about the mission pack. I'd like the extra mission honestly, no matter how bad it is. I'm just really wary about that stupid "auto-hack tool" that apparently comes packaged with it.

Thanks a lot for your post Sensei! I've been getting antsy lately as Monday (and this week's deal) is just about to end.

Normal it definitely is. I guess after reading your post I know with 100% certainty that I won't be getting the Tactical pack. Now I'm only unsure about the mission pack. I'd like the extra mission honestly, no matter how bad it is. I'm just really wary about that stupid "auto-hack tool" that apparently comes packaged with it.

You don't have to use the tool. There's not a lot that show up in the game, anyway. It's mostly just one of those items you have in reserve, that can sometimes be nifty if you find something that you absolutely want to hack but is above your hacking level, or are just tired of hacking for the moment. You'll be doing a ton of hacking regardless. But like I said, you can totally choose not to use them if you want. They're one time disposable items.

Can't really speak for the extra mission. I got the explosive pack during the Christmas sale, but haven't got to that point of the game yet. Probably worth it for the extra $2.00 or whatever it's going for.

Hope you enjoy the game! It's pretty awesome.

dralla

I picked this up a few weeks ago and I'm near the end and have a question.
I'm in Panchea, I opened up the security doors and on my way down to disable the signal fucking up the aug's. I heard Taggart and Sarif say they're barricaded and wanted to go see them. They don't appear on the map or have a waypoint, I reached the elevator that will bring me down but it gives me the 'point of no return' message. Are Sarif and Taggart down there after the elevator ride or are they on the upper levels where I currently am and I simply have to go find them?
No spoilers, I just need to know if I should progress or not

Prelithe

I'm in Panchea, I opened up the security doors and on my way down to disable the signal fucking up the aug's. I heard Taggart and Sarif say they're barricaded and wanted to go see them. They don't appear on the map or have a waypoint, I reached the elevator that will bring me down but it gives me the 'point of no return' message. Are Sarif and Taggart down there after the elevator ride or are they on the upper levels where I currently am and I simply have to go find them?

Yes, there are hidden around the map (i.e. not markered). Don't take the elevator yet!

nHDR

Banned
Hey all, big Deus-Ex fan here! Really liked HR, was probably my 2011 GOTY. That said, its not quite as memorable as Deus-Ex was, if you know what I mean. The game was/is great and I'm really happy that Eidos didn't make it casual shooter.
I'm also glad the game sold well, apparently Square wants to make the IP into an extended franchise. Also, definitely read The Icarus Effect if you haven't already. I won't spoil it but its a great read.

EDIT: My improvement ideas for the next game.

-Keep the stealth and shooting intact, it was great.
-Less HUB's but make them much larger. How about a HUGE Neo-Tokyo HUB? Or Paris?
-Some of the levels were a bit lame.
-More story.
-Keep the art style.
-Battery/take-down system should be re-vamped to recharge differently.

What do you guys think?

Just explore around a bit before you gone down, they're not too hard to find. If you don't find them, you'll limit yourself on which endings you can choose.

Feep

Banned
Finally got around to playing this...really loving it so far! The world is just so well realized.

Quick question: my energy cell meter thingy isn't recharging past the first cell. Why? What do I have to do? I spent praxis on both an energy capacity and an energy recharging upgrade, and they feel useless.

Finally got around to playing this...really loving it so far! The world is just so well realized.

Quick question: my energy cell meter thingy isn't recharging past the first cell. Why? What do I have to do? I spent praxis on both an energy capacity and an energy recharging upgrade, and they feel useless.
You only auto-recharge the first cell. For other cells, you have to obtain energy bars and eat them.

Gah. Wish I had this information before spending the praxis.

Yeah, it's actually one of my complaints about the game. The whole battery thing really doesn't work too well, and is actually kind of silly.

Here's the logic:

Punching people drains your batteries -> Eating candy bars replenishes your batteries -> Batteries can recharge, but only if they have a bit of juice left -> Most of the attacks that use battery will drain an entire one, preventing you from being able to recharge it again (unless it's the first).

Doesn't make much sense.

Anyway, I would recommend that you stock up on candy bars. Very useful. Also, the recharging speed aug can be pretty useful, at least for your final battery. Makes it easier to sneak out, punch somebody, then duck into cover really quick while it recharges again. I wouldn't spend a ton of praxis on getting new batteries, although there are some instances where it could be useful (cloaking into an area then using a few takedowns in quick succession). You'll just always want to carry a stack of candy bars.

Also, the game is 66% off on Steam this weekend. That includes all of the DLC. If anybody has been on the fence, now would be a great time to jump on this. The full game is only $10.19 right now, which is a fantastic deal. Also, The Missing Link is at $5.09, and it's definitely good enough to warrant that price.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
Finally started playing this today and the opening is great. But I have the stuttering problem and it's unplayable. Thanks, PC master race.

It sounds like windowed mode fixes it, but can you change the size of the window? It wouldn't let me change resolutions while windowed mode was on.

edit: oh figured it out

Gah. Wish I had this information before spending the praxis.

Some abilities don't immediately drain a bar of energy. Like cloak and silent running. For those the quick recharge helps. And the multiple bars comes in handy if you need to use cloak for a long time or you are maybe going for pacifist and you need to take out several enemies at the same time. You wouldn't want to stop after each enemy to recharge your one cell.

Also, the game is 66% off on Steam this weekend. That includes all of the DLC. If anybody has been on the fence, now would be a great time to jump on this. The full game is only $10.19 right now, which is a fantastic deal. Also, The Missing Link is at $5.09, and it's definitely good enough to warrant that price.

gotta love those Steam region-based prices:

LAMlq.png

DiUS2.png

Enco

The main game was one of my favorite experiences in gaming.

I tried the DLC and got bored within the first few minutes. I have no want to play the game any more but I enjoyed it while it lasted.

gblues

Banned
Beat the game, finally.

In spite of the terrible boss fights, Deus Ex: HR manages to hit pretty much every note right and earns the right to call itself "Deus Ex." My favorite part of the ending?
the title screen music from the original Deus Ex after Bob Page's little conversation. Unfortunately it sounds like they just encoded the original music rather than actually remixing it, but it's still an awesome tune.

Guys any tips for a new player?

Do you have to go all stealth? I think I might get bored that way so is there a way to be proficient in both stealth and action stuff? And is there any skill I should avoid taking?

Guys any tips for a new player?

Do you have to go all stealth? I think I might get bored that way so is there a way to be proficient in both stealth and action stuff? And is there any skill I should avoid taking?
I played through the whole game on Hard. Got both that and "no alarms" & "no kills" achievements in one playthrough.
IMHO, that's the best way to play Deus Ex. Be stealthy, be deadly.
On the offensive, invest only in Typhoon Ammo and save it for teh bossez.
Otherwise...invest in hacking and "support" augs (jumping,landing,being quiet, etc.) and you'll have a blast.
Honestly, no one can convince me this game should be played "all guns blazing" when it's very design supports stealth perfectly.

Hey! Got a problem... Game freezes my PS3 after pressing "Start" at the title screen.

I am getting a black screen and i only plug off my slim to get it to "reboot" -.-

Anyone had this problem? Googled but couldn't really find anything.

Help would be much appreciated, because i kinda like the game and would really like to finish it, without killing my PS3 :p

After pre-ordering the game and letting it sit on my shelf for months, I finally decided to play it. It's been a couple of weeks now and I'm pretty deep in the game so far, going back to Hensha and now on
the Belltower pier
. I'm trying to get the Pacifist and Foxiest achievements and I hope I'm doing it right.
I managed to save Faridah without any kills despite that stupid exploding robot, but I also didn't get that conversation boss with Sandoval which made me very angry.
Anyway, it's been a damn great game so far and I hope it only gets better.

DangerStepp

Copped this for an Andrew Jackson this past weekend and started last night.

Love the stealth; lost hours to it last night.

Any tips for more fun, PC settings, etc.?

Any trash augs I should avoid or any I should employ that are absolutely necessary? Is the game well balanced enough to make my experience fun no matter what?

Copped this for an Andrew Jackson this past weekend and started last night.

Love the stealth; lost hours to it last night.

Any tips for more fun, PC settings, etc.?

Any trash augs I should avoid or any I should employ that are absolutely necessary? Is the game well balanced enough to make my experience fun no matter what?

The hacking one where you see what it gives you or the detection rate before you select it. I found the stealth augments (radar cones, mark and track) useless. Maybe the augment that keeps your footsteps quiet. But you should totally get the social enhancer first

Started playing today and I just wonder on your playstyles like when you enter the room, do you kill/disable everyone or just try and sneak by?

1stStrike

Banned
Started playing today and I just wonder on your playstyles like when you enter the room, do you kill/disable everyone or just try and sneak by?

It always depended on the situation for me. There were times where I went with guns blazing, while other times I'd just sneak by. I didn't limit myself to just one or another. There's simply times when you're like "fuck this, I'm not messing with those guys" :)

Hey! Got a problem... Game freezes my PS3 after pressing "Start" at the title screen.

I am getting a black screen and i only plug off my slim to get it to "reboot" -.-

Anyone had this problem? Googled but couldn't really find anything.

Help would be much appreciated, because i kinda like the game and would really like to finish it, without killing my PS3 :p

Try deleting the game date, let it install again and download game patches.

So you recommend maxing capture than?

Also what weapons do you guys recommend? I'm having a hard time with inventory. So far I have Sniper Rifle, Stun Gun and Combat Rifle. But don't use them much so far (still in Detroit and done all the sidequests). I have a couple of upgrades so I want to know on what weapon to put them :)

So you recommend maxing capture than?

Also what weapons do you guys recommend? I'm having a hard time with inventory. So far I have Sniper Rifle, Stun Gun and Combat Rifle. But don't use them much so far (still in Detroit and done all the sidequests). I have a couple of upgrades so I want to know on what weapon to put them :)
None of those guns really worked for me. Silenced pistol will ko just about anything with a headshot, upgraded revolver is the win button for everything else. For bosses and the rare large robot level 2 typhoon.

1stStrike

Banned
I finally played through The Missing Link DLC today. Took me about 7 hours from start to finish. I'd say it was worth the money, as there's a good chunk of content there. I just wish there was less back tracking. It seemed like every time I went forward, I was sent back to the previous area for something even though I'd already been there.

The final "showdown" left something to be desired too. I got to the last room and
worked my way around by using my silenced pistol to shoot the guards in the head for one hit kills. Then I stunned the big guy with the heavy machine guy, went up the ladder and knocked his ass out. Finally, I hacked the door, pressed my back against the wall and opened it... then one shotgun blast and Burke was dead.

I was kind of hoping for a better end fight than that, but I'm overall satisfied with it. I can't foresee myself replaying it, though. It just doesn't really have any replayability to it, IMO.

I'm surprised there's been no other DLC or expansions for this game, though. It's been pretty quiet the last couple of months so I'm guessing they're pretty much not going to be adding much, if anything, else to it.=\

Dragon

Banned
Guys I just got back to Detroit from the missions in
China and Montreal (I think it was)
(location spoilers). How much longer is the game? This game is a lot longer than I thought.

I'm really enjoying just the badass-ness of this game along with the difficulty. Everytime I get spotted and killed it's been my fault and I appreciate that. The bad-assness comes into play because I can just stack crates to avoid having cops see that I'm hacking into people's storage units. ;)

The only real problem I had in the entire game was the first boss. I must have died fifty times before I realized what you had to do. The last boss I faced I think I died once.

Anyway great game!

Guys I just got back to Detroit from the missions in
China and Montreal (I think it was)
(location spoilers). How much longer is the game? This game is a lot longer than I thought.

I'm really enjoying just the badass-ness of this game along with the difficulty. Everytime I get spotted and killed it's been my fault and I appreciate that. The bad-assness comes into play because I can just stack crates to avoid having cops see that I'm hacking into people's storage units. ;)

The only real problem I had in the entire game was the first boss. I must have died fifty times before I realized what you had to do. The last boss I faced I think I died once.

Anyway great game!

You probably have about
8-10 hours left
depending on how you play/whether you play all the sidequests.

I'm thinking of re-purchasing this after playing some MGS2; I seriously can't get enough of stealthin' in video games.

Excluding boss battles, of course, can the entirety of the game be completed stealthily?

I think one of the main things that deterred me was the sheer amount of options/avenues/decisions, which is by no means a bad thing (quite the opposite, actually), but I found it daunting; I'm not an RPG guy. Any tips in that regard? i.e. anything upgrades that I should get or paths that I should go down?

Tanx.

I'm thinking of re-purchasing this after playing some MGS2; I seriously can't get enough of stealthin' in video games.

Excluding boss battles, of course, can the entirety of the game be completed stealthily?

I think one of the main things that deterred me was the sheer amount of options/avenues/decisions, which is by no means a bad thing (quite the opposite, actually), but I found it daunting; I'm not an RPG guy. Any tips in that regard? i.e. anything upgrades that I should get or paths that I should go down?

Tanx.

Yes, you can play the entire game stealthily (although the last level makes that more difficult). It's the most fun way to play it, in my opinion as well. There's a ton of great silent and non lethal weapons and augs to choose from.

I would say the RPG elements aren't overwhelming or anything. In terms of upgrades, if you're going for stealth, just go mainly for hacking and other stealth related upgrades. Get the jumping and heavy lifting augs early on, as well as as much hacking capture you can afford. Later on get the other stealth related augs like cloak, silent walking, see through walls augs, Icarus landing, etc. If you're going stealth you obviously won't be worried as much about things like punch through walls, and Typhoon, and dermal armor.

Don't worry about getting too many battery upgrades, and the augs that let you see when guards go out of alarm state/see their cone of vision/see how much noise you make aren't that useful, in my opinion.

Yes, you can play the entire game stealthily (although the last level makes that more difficult). It's the most fun way to play it, in my opinion as well. There's a ton of great silent and non lethal weapons and augs to choose from.

I would say the RPG elements aren't overwhelming or anything. In terms of upgrades, if you're going for stealth, just go mainly for hacking and other stealth related upgrades. Get the jumping and heavy lifting augs early on, as well as as much hacking capture you can afford. Later on get the other stealth related augs like cloak, silent walking, see through walls augs, Icarus landing, etc. If you're going stealth you obviously won't be worried as much about things like punch through walls, and Typhoon, and dermal armor.

Don't worry about getting too many battery upgrades, and the augs that let you see when guards go out of alarm state/see their cone of vision/see how much noise you make aren't that useful, in my opinion.

Awesome. Thanks for the reply.

IMPORTANT QUESTION!

Can I eventually go around with a pimped-out pistol and head-shot people from the darkness, a la Snake and his trusty MK23 Socom? I love that stuff. Metro 2033 also did this really well in terms of giving you an awesome revolver - silenced, extended barrel, extended stock, scope, etc.

1stStrike

Banned

IMPORTANT QUESTION!

Can I eventually go around with a pimped-out pistol and head-shot people from the darkness, a la Snake and his trusty MK23 Socom? I love that stuff. Metro 2033 also did this really well in terms of giving you an awesome revolver - silenced, extended barrel, extended stock, scope, etc.

You can put a silencer on a pistol and add some upgrades like decreased reload time, but it doesn't have extended barrel, stock, scope, etc.

But, if you're in range you can put a bullet in someone's head. If they have medium to heavy armor on, though, it may take more than a single shot to kill them. I always used a silenced pistol for the lighter guys. 1 shot, 1 kill.

yes. there's even a 100G cheevo for it: Foxiest of Hounds. Complete the game without setting of any alarms. Got it in my first playthrough so yes, it's possible.
In fact, I argue that 100% stealth is the best, and...wait for it...easiest way to play this game. why? because the only thing that works here against you is your (lack) of patience. If you manage to sneak and pay attention to the environment, you can decimate enemies with one click takedowns/kills, which, in itself is awesome since it's "difficulty-agnostic" meaning Hard+stealh=no problem.

To sum it up: play this game as it was supposed to be played: stealthy. It's the most fun and the most "deus ex" experience. Stealth mechanics are amazing (shooting not so much).

If you need any more tips, I'm here. ;)

Don't worry about it. This is NOT an open-world game so there's only much you can do in terms of "getting from A to B".
Be sure to explore everything you can (moving boxes, going into ducts and exploring), but don't become OCD-like because it'll ruin your experience. Just enjoy the game.

IMPORTANT QUESTION!

Your pistol can get pretty dang awesome, once you spec it out with a silencer, damage, clip size, laser sight, and reload speed upgrades. It can honestly be kind of overpowered.

yes. there's even a 100G cheevo for it: Foxiest of Hounds. Complete the game without setting of any alarms. Got it in my first playthrough so yes, it's possible.
In fact, I argue that 100% stealth is the best, and...wait for it...easiest way to play this game. why? because the only thing that works here against you is your (lack) of patience. If you manage to sneak and pay attention to the environment, you can decimate enemies with one click takedowns/kills, which, in itself is awesome since it's "difficulty-agnostic" meaning Hard+stealh=no problem.

To sum it up: play this game as it was supposed to be played: stealthy. It's the most fun and the most "deus ex" experience. Stealth mechanics are amazing (shooting not so much).

If you need any more tips, I'm here. ;)

Don't worry about it. This is NOT an open-world game so there's only much you can do in terms of "getting from A to B".
Be sure to explore everything you can (moving boxes, going into ducts and exploring), but don't become OCD-like because it'll ruin your experience. Just enjoy the game.

Cheers for the reply, mang. And believe me, I'm all for the stealth approach; that stuff really resonates with me and is the exact reason why I plan to pick this game up again. I think I just ran out of patience the first time, but I'm willing to give this game another decent shot.

NEO0MJ

I need some help finding a sidequest. According to my friend there is
There is a sidequest you can do before leaving Detroit that explains a lot about Adam's past by talking to an old lady in the same apartment building that's guarded by an ex-cop. But in order to find her we need to talk to that ex-cop before he leave and unfortunately I did the sidequest where we interrogate him and get info about that corrupt cop. Any other way to start it?

Top Bottom