• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Deus Ex: Human Revolution |OT| I never asked for this... It gave me lemon-lime

dralla

FINISHED.

*Disclaimer* A lot of the story elements went over my head or simply fell through the cracks of my waning attention, so I apologize in advance for any stupid conclusions :).

Firstly! Grievances:

> Why, oh, WHY did it have to
go down that road with Darrow/Panchaea!? I really didn't enjoy the "zombification" of everything in the slightest. It was just lame; very reminiscent of the first Uncharted's last minute undoing. Also, the final revelation felt incredibly generic and juvenile in the scheme of the whole game.

> Directly related and contributing to the above-mentioned,
that last boss battle... Horrible. Before then, I didn't really have anything against the boss battles; they were definitely 'meh', but they were nothing to whine about. This encounter, however - it definitely soured things. It was just ill-thought and silly.

Onto the good stuff... Everything else, basically. The stealth mechanics were sickeningly satisfying and the entire game was largely polished throughout. It was simply a fantastic and unique experience. Kudos to Eidos Montreal for daring to be different and pulling it off with panache. Honestly, I would consider myself quite difficult to please when it comes to SP campaigns, so the mere fact that I even completed the game is testament to the awesomeness of DX:HR.

Bring on the next one!
I agree the "zombies" were dumb and my least favorite part of the game, along with the boss fights, but I did enjoy that section a lot more on my second play-through. I guess knowing it's coming and knowing the layout of Panchea already helped a lot. I will say entering Panchea and getting to the top, no enemies and essentially platforming my way to the top was oddly satisfying, one of my favorite parts of the game.

Got this during the Steam sale this weekend. Beat the first mission, really enjoyed it. Maybe its the new PC or the game it self, but I'm really excited about playing more. I haven't touched a game for more than 10 minutes in months, so this literally got me back into video games.
I had the same thing happen to me. I couldn't play a game more than 1 day without getting bored with it, picked up HR on Amazon really cheap and ended up loving it. Before it came out I always dismissed it because of the look, everything was brown and I thought I'd get sick of looking at it, how wrong I was! The atmosphere, the music, the open-endedness, it sucked me in and essentially rejuvenated my interest in games. I enjoyed it so much I immediately started a new game on Hard after I completed it. In a way it's spoiled me, there's so much I like about it I feel disinterested in other games even more so if they don't have the things I loved about HR. I still need to get around to download The Missing Link DLC.

I had the same thing happen to me. I couldn't play a game more than 1 day without getting bored with it, picked up HR on Amazon really cheap and ended up loving it. Before it came out I always dismissed it because of the look, everything was brown and I thought I'd get sick of looking at it, how wrong I was! The atmosphere, the music, the open-endedness, it sucked me in and essentially rejuvenated my interest in games. I enjoyed it so much I immediately started a new game on Hard after I completed it. In a way it's spoiled me, there's so much I like about it I feel disinterested in other games even more so if they don't have the things I loved about HR. I still need to get around to download The Missing Link DLC.

Ditto. DE:HR, Gears of War 3 MP and Battlefield 3 MP have been the only games in probably the last year to captivate me enough to keep on playing. I can't remember the last time I completed a campaign/story in an SP game before DE:HR. It really is a fantastic game.

Tess3ract

Banned
So I bought this game when it was on sale in steam last week, and I can't seem to be able to run it with a not terrible framerate even on the lowest settings :(

I know I definitely meet the minimum requirements.. I have a really shitty HD 4200 on my computer but have an AMD Phenom II X4 960T processor (quad core) and 8 gb ram. I'm not really knowledgeable when it comes to specs, but that should be enough to run it at a good framerate on lowest settings.. Right? Any help on making it play well would be appreciated.

I had a slightly better computer than you and it chugged, at max settings, sorry mate.

That graphics card is mad old though, I had a 4890 and I still had issues. your 4200 is a generation or two behind that, it's just a rebranded 3xxx card iirc

ShaneB

The game can be pretty hard, and even though the AI is pretty dumb a lot of the time they are ridiculously good shots. Because of that, a stealthy approach is actually easier a lot of the time.

But the cool thing about Deus Ex is that you can play it however you find the most fun. So definitely go for offense if that's what you like.

Heh, the more I play, the more fun it is to have a balance of both. I'm still early on in the game I guess, so I'm sure it'll open up in terms of options a lot more throughout the game.

Yeah, the game is definitely more conducive to a stealth approach; the areas are blatantly designed in such a manner and it's also a lot easier to sneak through a level rather than obliterate everyone in it. This suits me perfectly, as stealthin' about in this game really doesn't get old.

Also, it doesn't hold up nearly as well as a balls-to-the-wall shooter than it does a sneaking game. That's not to say its shooting mechanics are bad; they're just decent and nothing more. Put it this way: if this game didn't permit stealth as a viable option, I'd knock its score down a good 3 points.

Will agree to this as well. It's good to have a balance of both as I mentioned, and I'm not entirely in the mood for a run and gun shooter, so it's fun to switch things up as needed. Just got a mission where stealth is a bonus, so that will be fun.

I still have some lame deaths where I get caught on geometry though :(

Also, the music, I can't mention it enough! the music!

Still waiting on the hook for the story though, it's been interesting so far, but I'm not at that point yet where I'm constantly thinking "oh man, I gotta keep playing to find out what happens next!"

edit: I guess I am hooked, because I'm here at work, and all I can think about is getting home tonight and finding out what the heck is going to happen next. lol

Sajjaja

Just picked this up today used for $10+tax on my ps3. Opened it up, looked good, and it had the Explosive Mission Pack dlc code in it. Didn't expect it to work, BUT IT DID! So awesome when things like this happen.

Any ways, my first Deus Ex game, any tips or recommendations? Also am considering Give Me Deus Ex difficulty for my first playthrough. What say you?

cilonen

Heh, the more I play, the more fun it is to have a balance of both. I'm still early on in the game I guess, so I'm sure it'll open up in terms of options a lot more throughout the game.

Will agree to this as well. It's good to have a balance of both as I mentioned, and I'm not entirely in the mood for a run and gun shooter, so it's fun to switch things up as needed. Just got a mission where stealth is a bonus, so that will be fun.

I still have some lame deaths where I get caught on geometry though :(

Also, the music, I can't mention it enough! the music!

Still waiting on the hook for the story though, it's been interesting so far, but I'm not at that point yet where I'm constantly thinking "oh man, I gotta keep playing to find out what happens next!"

edit: I guess I am hooked, because I'm here at work, and all I can think about is getting home tonight and finding out what the heck is going to happen next. lol

It really kicked into 'I must spend every waking hour playing this' mode for me from the conclusion of Montreal onwards. So much so that I felt like I completely rushed the game from there on and missed out on a lot of stuff, just hit that point on playthrough 2 and am looking forward to taking my time a bit from here on out.

sn00zer

Any ways, my first Deus Ex game, any tips or recommendations? Also am considering Give Me Deus Ex difficulty for my first playthrough. What say you?

Normal difficulty will give you a challenge...game has a really steep learning curve play-wise...it is very much a stealth game

DangerStepp

I put probably 15 hours or so into this game before I decided to quit. I didn't feel engrossed in the world, I guess.

From what I did play, I had fun. I didn't like the hacking game too much though.

I can see how some can really enjoy this, but I grew tired of it. Lots of mixed feelings and I wish I had the patience to see it 'til the end.

Am I alone?

ShaneB

My only complaint so far is that it just seems like information overload all the time. Emails, computers to hack, etc etc etc. It's not exactly a bad thing, but when so much information is presented so freely, it becomes a bit of a chore to keep interested in the information that actually matters.

Tess3ract

Banned
My only complaint so far is that it just seems like information overload all the time. Emails, computers to hack, etc etc etc. It's not exactly a bad thing, but when so much information is presented so freely, it becomes a bit of a chore to keep interested in the information that actually matters.
Just skim the emails and read when you feel like it. Everything else matters.

sn00zer

Agreed actually to much reading...if you read everything you could easily end up spending more time reading or hacking than actually playing...this is one of those games that had some really REALLY good ideas, it just wasnt streamlined enough, so it can feel clunky at times....amazing conversation system though....

Pros:
-Great atmosphere
-Cool/Interesting Story
-Cool main character
-Skill Trees were simple and fun
-Nice to be able to wander around
-Dat conversation system
-lots of potential
-Really nails balance between RPG and action game
-Actually feels tactical trying to figure out when and where to attack
-Interesting characters
-Feels like your choices impact the story
Even if they dont
-multiple pathways to objective

Cons:
-To much pointless reading
-Controls can feel really clunky when compared to other stealth games
-If you are seen, you are fucked
-Encourages constant Quick Load/Save
-Hard to follow the main story with so much reading
-No reason for side mission to be optional, seriously its like "Would you like to play the game?" Why would you say no
-
Things you think have an impact on story dont Remember that guy you saved in the first mission, now he's a generic enemy that shows up 6 hours later for no reason
-when in doubt, vents
-Side missions have no impact on story
-
you can find out plot twists in emails before the cinematic happens (should have changed the cinematic if your character "knows" something already)
-Boss battles are really bad, thought this was just thing people complained about too much, but they are really bad and no fun, and way to hard, and not in the fun way
-Ending spoiler
You get to see NOTHING of the repercussions of your choice....although the choice was interesting
-Didnt like that you can "lose" in conversations....wish they would just turn out different instead of losing
-Felt unfinished in some parts

But anyway liked the game overall, but this is one of those games that could have an amazing sequel if done right.

Sajjaja

But anyway liked the game overall, but this is one of those games that could have an amazing sequel if done right.

Technically:

250px-Dxcover.jpg

cilonen

-
Things you think have an impact on story dont Remember that guy you saved in the first mission, now he's a generic enemy that shows up 6 hours later for no reason

It took me until starting my third run through (didn't get 'Foxiest of the Hounds' even though I swear I got all the Smooth Operator bonuses... oh well) but
if you're talking about Zeke Sanders, his later role is really underplayed and his encounters with Jensen are really the end of his narrative arc - most of which is only hinted at in the game or told through exposition and happens prior to the events in DXHR; the focus shifts to Isias, who turns out to be his brother. When he's talking in the Sarif Manufacturing Plant office about how he and his bro got played through having an Aug on his team he's talking about Bill Taggart using the Sanders / Sandoval brothers to further the Illuminati's agenda. The fact he shows up later in the rigged apartment that leads to Isias' hidey hole seems really 'generic enemy' - I agree! - until you get the backstory.

Datwheezy

Unconfirmed Member
How does the game play with an X360 controller? Just started it on PC, and wondering if controller is gimped in comparison to the mouse/keyboard.

cilonen

How does the game play with an X360 controller? Just started it on PC, and wondering if controller is gimped in comparison to the mouse/keyboard.

Masterfully, no need to worry; controller is missing nothing, in fact the KB & M controls feel a bit 'gimped' if anything as they've done something weird to the mouse accelleration that doesn't feel 'right'.

Datwheezy

Unconfirmed Member
Masterfully, no need to worry; controller is missing nothing, in fact the KB & M controls feel a bit 'gimped' if anything as they've done something weird to the mouse accelleration that doesn't feel 'right'.

Awesome. Comfy couch w/ the 42" then!

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered

Beat the whole game on PC with a 360 pad on the hardest difficulty, easily. The pad controls felt great and aiming wasn't an issue.

The missing Link was well worth the price..

DX:HR is definitely the best game I played last year.

I'm thinking about another playthrough.. which I never do with single player games.

ShaneB

Loving the game so far. My Steam clock has me at 17 hours played. It's definitely got me hooked, when I start a mission I get in that mode where I have to finish it, which is a good thing!

Also, usually I'll play a good guy in games which present such choices, but Jensen's voice just is so perfectly suited to have a harder edge attitude and be a badass.

K' Dash

started this yesterday, I'm trying to "get" the gameplay, never played the first game, but this feels like a mix of MGS and Perfect Dark, for a moment I tought it would let me choose between stealth and guns blazing, but I was VERY wrong, the limited ammo and the fact that if you're discovered you're dead, force you to go stealth 90% of the time.

Good thing I love to explore, cuse it makes the game a lot easier.

1stStrike

Banned
started this yesterday, I'm trying to "get" the gameplay, never played the first game, but this feels like a mix of MGS and Perfect Dark, for a moment I tought it would let me choose between stealth and guns blazing, but I was VERY wrong, the limited ammo and the fact that if you're discovered you're dead, force you to go stealth 90% of the time.

Good thing I love to explore, cuse it makes the game a lot easier.

If you really want to go guns blazing you can. Just spec for it and keep the appropriate weapons with ammo stock piled as you level up. It's more difficult, but very much a viable route.

K' Dash

If you really want to go guns blazing you can. Just spec for it and keep the appropriate weapons with ammo stock piled as you level up. It's more difficult, but very much a viable route.

well, I'm avoiding confrontations, so I have all the ammo I can collect, but it isn't enough to fight let's say, 7 guards and a turret, I mean, I could clean that room, but the rest of the mission? no way, it is not viable to go guns blazing, at least not for the average player, the game gets 100% harder that way.

Agreed actually to much reading...if you read everything you could easily end up spending more time reading or hacking than actually playing...this is one of those games that had some really REALLY good ideas, it just wasnt streamlined enough, so it can feel clunky at times....amazing conversation system though....

Pros:
-Great atmosphere
-Cool/Interesting Story
-Cool main character
-Skill Trees were simple and fun
-Nice to be able to wander around
-Dat conversation system
-lots of potential
-Really nails balance between RPG and action game
-Actually feels tactical trying to figure out when and where to attack
-Interesting characters
-Feels like your choices impact the story
Even if they dont
-multiple pathways to objective

Cons:
-To much pointless reading
-Controls can feel really clunky when compared to other stealth games
-If you are seen, you are fucked
-Encourages constant Quick Load/Save
-Hard to follow the main story with so much reading
-No reason for side mission to be optional, seriously its like "Would you like to play the game?" Why would you say no
-
-when in doubt, vents
-Side missions have no impact on story
-
you can find out plot twists in emails before the cinematic happens (should have changed the cinematic if your character "knows" something already)
-Boss battles are really bad, thought this was just thing people complained about too much, but they are really bad and no fun, and way to hard, and not in the fun way
-Ending spoiler
You get to see NOTHING of the repercussions of your choice....although the choice was interesting
-Didnt like that you can "lose" in conversations....wish they would just turn out different instead of losing
-Felt unfinished in some parts

Boss fights are easy as hell.u just need 6 grenade mines nth else on hard to beat the crap out of each one.

which generic enemy are u talking abt?
did not find any in my playthru?

i loved reading,many of story points,backstory is explaied to u thru this.
they just wanted to maintain the eye for detail thing just like dx1

cilonen

well, I'm avoiding confrontations, so I have all the ammo I can collect, but it isn't enough to fight let's say, 7 guards and a turret, I mean, I could clean that room, but the rest of the mission? no way, it is not viable to go guns blazing, at least not for the average player, the game gets 100% harder that way.

You can definitely do it when you get adept - it takes a little more skill than stealth and requires the ruse of the right tools. Unlike most games, in this it seems that different weapons (the different types of grenades for example) really do have a purpose. Throw in an EMP followed by a concussion grenade then pop round the corner and start taking the guards out with a laser sighted pistol as they're stumbling around trying to get up off their asses.

It does take a while to get the feel of the game before you feel proficient at an all guns blazing run though, for sure. It kicks your ass if you go in treating it like a normal shooter.

ShaneB

Finished it yesterday. While I did love it, and was hooked into marathoning the later sections for most of yesterday, think I'm just feeling a bit burnt out.

Maybe it's the standard case of just wanting to finish it and move onto other games. I feel like I'm being down on it, but I spent near 30 hours enjoying the hell out of it!
KuGsj.gif

Ah well, still, it's something I'm glad I got to enjoy.

So, my sound is bugging out whilst playing The Missing Link (360); abrupt scratches/pops every now and then. Has anyone else experienced this? Vanilla HR ran without a hitch. Is it just a case of TML not being optimised enough?

Cheers!

Adam Jensen (Elias Toufexis) playing Deus Ex Human Revolution!

Megan's VO actor is Elias' actual wife, so freaky!

How come no one told me about this?!

His voice is pretty distinct, I immediately recognised him in I Am Alive.

Freaking awesome! That links to the second one, so go back to the first one if you want...(they start it at the end of the game for some reason, though, so warning.)

It actually sounds like his voice is just like Adam's? I thought that it really wasn't that scratchy in real life, and that he kind of played it out for the game, but after watching the video it seems that isn't true.

Listening to him add his own new lines into the cutscenes is really funny. It's also interesting that he seems to be a big fan of the game, and has played it twice. It seems like a lot of voice actors never play games they are in.

Just beat it last night. Great game, really enjoyed it. But the augmentation choices felt to few. I get the feeling that everyone will pretty much max out everything in any playthrough. They only feel like choices in the beginning, and I had no problems going from stealthy to Seagal mode in the later parts of the game where the enemies just felt like they were to many.

Coldsnap

This game is running choppy on my computer it's a 2500k and a GTX 560. I have everything turned all the way up, D3D tripple buffering, and tripple buffering and vsync disabled in menues. Anyone have any tips?

Other than that this game is fantastic, I am enjoying it so much. I love the world and style.

Dunan

Just opened up the box of my Augmented Edition purchased back in December.

Couldn't wait to see this vision of the near future! And the game chided me for it right away: I'm just gazing at the stuff on the walls and Megan is telling me to hurry up and get moving!

One big negative right off the bat: this mandatory non-inverted X-axis thing is driving me nuts. I'm used to the camera-based inverted style and can't handle the reticule-based non-inverted stick at all. I died seven or eight times -- on easy mode! -- in the second part of the prologue, where you've got three guys in a room waiting for you to enter. Finally I got through it by sneaking behind some desks when they weren't looking, and letting the camera move itself as I rolled in and out of cover.

(
I shall have to imagine that this reversed polarity is an artifact of the augmentation process. This way it will enhance the atmosphere instead of just crippling my play.
)

Love the aesthetics too. Black and gold everywhere; I'm a big fan of the Eurostile font; rectangles with the corners sawn off. I wouldn't mind a theme based on this for my computer!

Just finished the Prologue and will take on the first real mission in a few days when I get some more time.

(No way to change the controls, is there? Please?)

goodfella

This game is running choppy on my computer it's a 2500k and a GTX 560. I have everything turned all the way up, D3D tripple buffering, and tripple buffering and vsync disabled in menues. Anyone have any tips?

Other than that this game is fantastic, I am enjoying it so much. I love the world and style.

Shockingly, windowed mode.

Sajjaja

Finished the game. It was awesome. Boss fights are pretty much my only complaint, too confrontational. Also, that reporter's voice is so fucking annoying man. Shit....

I'm going to go for another playthrough with no kills at all. I was going to do that this time, but then I just got angry at these dudes so I just started stealth pistoling instead.
Didn't think the kills would affect the dialogue of the endings
9/10.

Holy shit, this game is incredible. I nabbed the Augmented Edition at Walmart for 40 bucks and WOW! A little daunting at first, since my gaming brain has been turned to attentive deficient mush thanks to all the COD's/BF's/Uncharted's this gen. But seriously, this is how games are supposed to be. It's the little intricacies and the braininess of the gameplay itself. Figuring out every line of dialogue, following the best course of action and seeing your decisions play a role in the way the story unfolds (I let the hostages die in the first mission because I decided to snoop around), scrutinizing the environments for ammo, alternate paths and tidbits of info. If you follow every little thing that goes on in and around Sarif Ind., you really feel like you don't know whose side you're on. What an engrossing game. Shit, I don't even know how Eidos green-lit this game in the first place, but boy, did it pay off.

Coldsnap

Anyone else think this game has some pacing issues? I feel like I'm more interested in the world an story than the game mechanics and I'm getting tired of sneaking around and hacking the 1000th terminal ect.
im chasing that girl boss in shanghai

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Anyone else think this game has some pacing issues? I feel like I'm more interested in the world an story than the game mechanics and I'm getting tired of sneaking around and hacking the 1000th terminal ect.
im chasing that girl boss in shanghai

I didn't want the game to end :(

I'm an old Deus Ex fan though so I eat the gameplay up.

Troll

Banned
Okay I just hit 50 takedowns in China, the first main story line mission after doing the side quest. Am I good to hit 100 takedowns or will I run out of people to stalk?

Okay I just hit 50 takedowns in China, the first main story line mission after doing the side quest. Am I good to hit 100 takedowns or will I run out of people to stalk?

I would be very surprised if you didn't hit 100 takedowns. You've got a very long way to go before the game is over.

Top Bottom