• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Deus Ex: Human Revolution |OT| I never asked for this... It gave me lemon-lime

Ramma2

During the prologue I just couldn't get into this game. Shooting was bad, stealth was hard, plus use X for everything instead of A? Madness.

Then I did a couple of side quests that open up right away and man things just clicked. Loving it now.

2 questions.

Do any of the augs let you recharge more than the first battery? Eating to regain more than 1 kind of sucks, and means I'm running around with only 1 charged since it fills automatically.

Second question, I have 11k credits and just opened up the Limb clinic. Save the money for other purchases, or dump everything into upgrades?

Taffer

During the prologue I just couldn't get into this game. Shooting was bad, stealth was hard, plus use X for everything instead of A? Madness.

Then I did a couple of side quests that open up right away and man things just clicked. Loving it now.

2 questions.

Do any of the augs let you recharge more than the first battery? Eating to regain more than 1 kind of sucks, and means I'm running around with only 1 charged since it fills automatically.

Second question, I have 11k credits and just opened up the Limb clinic. Save the money for other purchases, or dump everything into upgrades?

You'll only ever recharge the first cell from empty, extra cells will recharge to full if they have a bit of charge left - i.e. takedowns take a complete cell but cloak can be switched off before it empties a cell and that cell will recharge.

As for LIMB, there's only ever 2 Praxis in each clinic ($5000 each), go straight there and buy them, augs make life so much easier which leads to more money.

So, I was pretty adamant that I wouldn't dabble in Cloaking, as it seems kind of useless and proper stealthin' is far more rewarding/fun, but goddamn at the
Tai Yong Medical Penthouse escape
. Is there any other way to do this without getting detected? Granted, I didn't really try to accomplish this without Cloaking, but doing so seems pretty damn hard. Grenades of some sort, maybe?

This game is pretty amazing, by the way.

So, I was pretty adamant that I wouldn't dabble in Cloaking, as it seems kind of useless and proper stealthin' is far more rewarding/fun, but goddamn at the
Tai Yong Medical Penthouse escape
. Is there any other way to do this without getting detected? Granted, I didn't really try to accomplish this without Cloaking, but doing so seems pretty damn hard. Grenades of some sort, maybe?

This game is pretty amazing, by the way.

You can escape the Penthouse pretty easily without being escaped at all. If I recall correctly, there's a vent to the right of where you start, and you can easily sneak past most of the guards, and then make a sprint for the elevator.

Or you could try and take the guards head on, which could be fun as well. Grenades would definitely come in handy, since there's a ton of them in the area pretty close together.

Anyway, my first playthrough I got through that part without even being detected by them.

You can escape the Penthouse pretty easily without being escaped at all. If I recall correctly, there's a vent to the right of where you start, and you can easily sneak past most of the guards, and then make a sprint for the elevator.

Or you could try and take the guards head on, which could be fun as well. Grenades would definitely come in handy, since there's a ton of them in the area pretty close together.

Anyway, my first playthrough I got through that part without even being detected by them.

Yeah,
I used the vent. It's the bottom floor where the vent leads to that is largely problematic. In my experience, there were about 5-6 guards down there that wouldn't really deviate from their patrol routes and at any given time, it seemed as if at least one always had a view of the vent. I cloaked for maybe 1.5 seconds, purely to get out of the vent and take cover behind one of those fixtures near the wall; it was smooth sailing from then on

It probably can be done with some meticulous timing, though. Oh, well. I had Praxis to spare :).

Yeah,
I used the vent. It's the bottom floor where the vent leads to that is largely problematic. In my experience, there were about 5-6 guards down there that wouldn't really deviate from their patrol routes and at any given time, it seemed as if at least one always had a view of the vent. I cloaked for maybe 1.5 seconds, purely to get out of the vent and take cover behind one of those fixtures near the wall; it was smooth sailing from then on

It probably can be done with some meticulous timing, though. Oh, well. I had Praxis to spare :).

Nice! Regardless, cloaking is actually really good, especially if you put quite a few points into it. I didn't use it a ton, but I could see it being very useful. I think I just need to find a new key binding for it next time I play...pressing the F keys just isn't quite quick enough for me.

If I remember correctly, I was able to sprint from the vent to the elevator without being killed, although they certainly got upset about it.

If I remember correctly, I was able to sprint from the vent to the elevator without being killed, although they certainly got upset about it.

Haha. That's not very Deus Ex-ian of you, but success is success, nonetheless! I think that's why I love this game so much; it caters to a play-style that I simply adore and one that is also severely lacking in this current gen.

The next iteration will be SO RADBALLS.

Montresor

I just beat the game on hard, without killing anyone, and without setting off an alarm! That makes every achievement done, except for the DLC. I haven't touched The Missing Link yet but I'm hoping it's awesome. =D

Tess3ract

Banned
I just beat the game on hard, without killing anyone, and without setting off an alarm! That makes every achievement done, except for the DLC. I haven't touched The Missing Link yet but I'm hoping it's awesome. =D
It is. It takes at least 5 hours to do, so it's pretty long.

1stStrike

Banned

I enjoyed it overall, but it does have quite a bit of back and forth where it makes you go back to areas that you were just in. Aside from that, there's a pretty tough decision to make at one point and the level design is interesting.

It is. It takes at least 5 hours to do, so it's pretty long.

Took me 7 hours.

Just completed my first playthrough of the game. Played most of it stealth, no kills. Only time I killed enemies was when (near-end spoiler)
Couldn't save Malik so I played through that level "enraged"
. Loved the game, loved the ending. Is the DLC recommended? I want to do a second playthrough (more action-oriented, different choices) and wouldn't mind new content.

Just completed my first playthrough of the game. Played most of it stealth, no kills. Only time I killed enemies was when near-end spoiler
Couldn't save Malik so I played through that level "enraged"
. Loved the game, loved the ending. Is the DLC recommended? I want to do a second playthrough (more action-oriented, different choices) and wouldn't mind new content.

The DLC is definitely recommended. Great stuff. If you play it on the PC, it's on sale today on Steam for $3.74.

:D Awesome, thanks for the head's up. Missing Link, right? The others are just new weapons?

The Explosive Mission pack also gives you small extra mission (only around 20 or 30 minutes, I believe) and a couple of items. The Tactical Enhancement pack gives you a bunch of credits and two weapons I've never used. If you're interested in the weapons and the short mission feel free to pick those up as well since they're cheap.

The Missing Link is the one to really look into, though. At $3.74 it's a steal, with about 7 hours of content. Great stuff.

Man, that lady-boss (her name escapes me) went down super quick; I was quite surprised. Some explosive revolver rounds + some heavy rifle rounds + 1 typhoon = toasted.

After hearing only bad things about the boss fights, I'm glad that they're merely blips on the radar of the whole experience. They're not hyped or built up at all, which is ultimately a great thing. That's not to say that they're good, 'cause they certainly aren't, but they haven't made me roll my eyes or anything to that effect.

On another note, I'm such an ammo whore. I can't bring myself to drop any.

Man, that lady-boss (her name escapes me) went down super quick; I was quite surprised. Some explosive revolver rounds + some heavy rifle rounds + 1 typhoon = toasted.

After hearing only bad things about the boss fights, I'm glad that they're merely blips on the radar of the whole experience. They're not hyped or built up at all, which is ultimately a great thing. That's not to say that they're good, 'cause they certainly aren't, but they haven't made me roll my eyes or anything to that effect.

On another note, I'm such an ammo whore. I can't bring myself to drop any.
boss fights were super easy for me because of the typhoon (like I said earlier, I got Foxiest of Hounds + hard difficulty + no kills in one playthrough). Typhoon was almost like a "cheat" for me, non-lethal guy with almost no guns on me expect for the tranq.

Couple of questions:

1. The 'Stealth Enhancer - Cones of Vision' aug... What's up with it? Does it only show the cones when they're alerted? That's how it is for me thus far.

2. The non-lethal double takedown wherein you leg-sweep the first victim... Does the animation screw up for you guys? i.e. no contact between the victim and Jensen, etc.

Cheers, bros.

OG Kush

If missing link is standalone does that mean I still need DE:HR to play it? I've sold my copy of it but I've got an itching for some more Deus Ex...

Montresor

I'm pretty blown away by the DLC so far. Jesus Christ man... the last time I felt this good about a DLC mission was when I played Minerva's Den for Bioshock 2.

I'd say my top 3 games of 2011 so far are:

1. Shadows of the Damned
2. Batman Arkham City
3. Deus Ex Human Revolution

With honourable mentions to Gears of War 3, Bastion, Limbo, Portal 2. But then again there are tons of 2011 games I have not played.

I've been going through The Missing Link very, very slowly so far, and so I am very early into the mission. However, what I love are:
a) The persistent use of moral ambiguity, just like in the main game. I love hearing Belltower guards question the actions of their superiors and the philosophy behind the entire company. b) The compelling setting. My mind was a little giddy once I finally emerged topside and encountered the storm outside. The waters swelling up and down and the rain falling down look damn beautiful

Couple of questions:

1. The 'Stealth Enhancer - Cones of Vision' aug... What's up with it? Does it only show the cones when they're alerted? That's how it is for me thus far.

2. The non-lethal double takedown wherein you leg-sweep the first victim... Does the animation screw up for you guys? i.e. no contact between the victim and Jensen, etc.

Cheers, bros.

Yeah, the cones of vision aug is not very useful.

And yes, I ran into quite a few times were the takedowns would bug out, especially the double ones.

If missing link is standalone does that mean I still need DE:HR to play it? I've sold my copy of it but I've got an itching for some more Deus Ex...

I'm pretty sure you don't need the main game at all to play it. It has its own assets and everything.

alba

Little is the new Big
I just bought the DLC, I thought it was way overpriced when it came out but at this price, it seems pretty good. More Deux Ex is always better! Will report back after I've installed it and played for a while :)

Montresor

Re: The Missing Link DLC.

=( ... Those poor people in the detention blocks. I felt sad that I had to leave that woman in her interrogation cell.

Tess3ract

Banned
Re: The Missing Link DLC.

=( ... Those poor people in the detention blocks. I felt sad that I had to leave that woman in her interrogation cell.
You can
save them. I have no idea how, but there's a hidden place where the gastanks are, and you can shoot them out and save everyone.

jtrov

Finally got around to finishing up Human Revolutions and the DLC this weekend and damn, do I regret ever putting it down in December. Easily one of my favorite games so far this gen. I went with the "Give Me Deus Ex" for my first playthrough and I absolutely had a blast being stealthy when I could and being lethal when I had too.

Man, the whole lead-up to the end of the game was just thrilling...

And after playing the DLC all I can say is, "give me more Deus Ex... please?". I really enjoyed the atmosphere of the DLC and all call-backs to the main game were well done. Quite lengthy for DLC, which was a very pleasant surprise.

With the way the doors were numbered and clearance access worked it definitely game me a MGS1 vibe.

Absolutely incredible game. I need more.

You can
save them. I have no idea how, but there's a hidden place where the gastanks are, and you can shoot them out and save everyone.

Wait what? That's just awesome. I had no idea...

Montresor

You can

I have a really good feeling I know what's under that spoiler text, but I won't read it yet as I'm still early in the game. =p The last thing I did was
get Burke's retinal prosthesis modified and now I'm searching for the last piece of Quinn's rocket launcher before I move on

I'll be playing a second time for the No-Praxis achievement later so if I fuck it up now I can
save her later

You can

Yeah, I loved how you could save everyone even though the game kept telling you that you could only save that scientist or the citizens. I didn't discover that you could do that until my second playthrough. Quinn is like, "sorry bub, you can only save one or the other", but Jensen just says "screw that, I'm saving everybody".

Also, I wonder what happens if you let the time run out and everybody dies? Dang it, now I have to play the Missing Link again to find out!

Just copped a huge holier-than-thou lecture from
Darrow
in
Panchaea
. What a wang. I'm very close to the end, right? Man, I can't remember the last time I put so much time into the SP/campaign of game. I've loved every minute.

One thing that has surprised me is how I've been able to allocate quite a bit of Praxis to nearly all of the augs; I've not really had to neglect anything. I thought it would have been a bit more, 'you've chosen *this* type of Jensen, now stick with it'.

On another note, I actually found this pretty unsettling - for a video game, anyway:
Finding Malik's dead body in the Harvester Hideout in Detroit; that glazed-over look in her eyes. Haunting.

FINISHED.

*Disclaimer* A lot of the story elements went over my head or simply fell through the cracks of my waning attention, so I apologize in advance for any stupid conclusions :).

Firstly! Grievances:

> Why, oh, WHY did it have to
go down that road with Darrow/Panchaea!? I really didn't enjoy the "zombification" of everything in the slightest. It was just lame; very reminiscent of the first Uncharted's last minute undoing. Also, the final revelation felt incredibly generic and juvenile in the scheme of the whole game.

> Directly related and contributing to the above-mentioned,
that last boss battle... Horrible. Before then, I didn't really have anything against the boss battles; they were definitely 'meh', but they were nothing to whine about. This encounter, however - it definitely soured things. It was just ill-thought and silly.

Onto the good stuff... Everything else, basically. The stealth mechanics were sickeningly satisfying and the entire game was largely polished throughout. It was simply a fantastic and unique experience. Kudos to Eidos Montreal for daring to be different and pulling it off with panache. Honestly, I would consider myself quite difficult to please when it comes to SP campaigns, so the mere fact that I even completed the game is testament to the awesomeness of DX:HR.

Bring on the next one!

Calcaneus

Got this during the Steam sale this weekend. Beat the first mission, really enjoyed it. Maybe its the new PC or the game it self, but I'm really excited about playing more. I haven't touched a game for more than 10 minutes in months, so this literally got me back into video games.

ShaneB

I just started playing this last night as well after picking it up on sale a few weeks ago. First impressions are definitely awesome, but man I am terrible so far. Think it's a mix of trying to get a grasp on the controls and realizing it's a lot more cover based than I expected. I was on the fence about how to play it as well, but think for my first play through I'm just going to go balls out on offense and not really worry about stealth so much.

Also, holy crap at how incredible the music has been so far. Terrific score.

I just started playing this last night as well after picking it up on sale a few weeks ago. First impressions are definitely awesome, but man I am terrible so far. Think it's a mix of trying to get a grasp on the controls and realizing it's a lot more cover based than I expected. I was on the fence about how to play it as well, but think for my first play through I'm just going to go balls out on offense and not really worry about stealth so much.

The game can be pretty hard, and even though the AI is pretty dumb a lot of the time they are ridiculously good shots. Because of that, a stealthy approach is actually easier a lot of the time.

But the cool thing about Deus Ex is that you can play it however you find the most fun. So definitely go for offense if that's what you like.

So I bought this game when it was on sale in steam last week, and I can't seem to be able to run it with a not terrible framerate even on the lowest settings :(

I know I definitely meet the minimum requirements.. I have a really shitty HD 4200 on my computer but have an AMD Phenom II X4 960T processor (quad core) and 8 gb ram. I'm not really knowledgeable when it comes to specs, but that should be enough to run it at a good framerate on lowest settings.. Right? Any help on making it play well would be appreciated.

Yeah, the game is definitely more conducive to a stealth approach; the areas are blatantly designed in such a manner and it's also a lot easier to sneak through a level rather than obliterate everyone in it. This suits me perfectly, as stealthin' about in this game really doesn't get old.

Also, it doesn't hold up nearly as well as a balls-to-the-wall shooter than it does a sneaking game. That's not to say its shooting mechanics are bad; they're just decent and nothing more. Put it this way: if this game didn't permit stealth as a viable option, I'd knock its score down a good 3 points.

Top Bottom