• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Deus Ex: Human Revolution |OT| I never asked for this... It gave me lemon-lime

Troll

Banned
I would be very surprised if you didn't hit 100 takedowns. You've got a very long way to go before the game is over.

That's.... awesome. This game is really good. At first I wasn't that into it and I think I was just overwhelmed by it. Now that I am into a groove, it kicks ass.

e: Do we know if the DLC would count with the "single play-through" for the achievement?

Troll

Banned
No it doesn't. It launches seperately from the main game and has it's own achievements.

Do you know if it matters as far as achievements go
if I let Van Bruggen live by giving him a weapon? The only thing I can find about him living is a reward of 2000 credits.

Gaining extra credits is the only effect of that decision. Would've been nice if he helped out a little more, but oh well.

Been playing the original, finally managed to get past the first mission after years of getting bored at some point. Fucking love it, though I do miss some of the improvements that HR bought, like showing you the right login and password if you've found them for terminals, and the much more balanced weaponry (here, the assault rifle is fucking useless). The use of a limb system is great, though. Being forced to crawl after having my legs fucked up by a group of mechs is an interesting gameplay experience.

I had a great time with the game, but the hacking mini-game did get old. Then again, those sort of mini-games always get old. The option to try for extra exp and hacking items made it slightly more interesting, still, there must have been over 100 terminals to hack in the game.

Would have been nice if maybe they gave you the option to use up some worms and by-pass the mini-game.

I also did get a bit lazy on the stealth/combat towards the end, and feel like that probably cheapened things a bit. It's nice that you have options, but forcing yourself into the more difficult route of not killing people gives a much deeper experience, I think.

Troll

Banned
For the Foxiest Achievement
When you are trying to save Malik, does it matter if they see you? I can do it as a Pacifist but they always see me. Does that matter?

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
For the Foxiest Achievement
When you are trying to save Malik, does it matter if they see you? I can do it as a Pacifist but they always see me. Does that matter?

I don't think there are any alarms they can trigger in that area so no. I was able to get Foxiest and Pacifist on Hard in the same run so they are pretty forgiving.

Troll

Banned
I don't think there are any alarms they can trigger in that area so no. I was able to get Foxiest and Pacifist on Hard in the same run so they are pretty forgiving.

Cool. I am doing the hard/pacifist/foxy run as my first play.

e:

If the explosion from the mech kills a dude when I am trying to save Malik, does that screw me for the achievement?

Troll

Banned
Okay just finished my Hard/foxy/pacifist run.....

nailed it like a boss. I have the original 1000 now I need to get the DLC. Can anyone explain to me what the end credits meant? That just went over my head. Also, is the Factory Zero achievement really glitched or do people just fuck up and blame the game?

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Okay just finished my Hard/foxy/pacifist run.....

nailed it like a boss. I have the original 1000 now I need to get the DLC. Can anyone explain to me what the end credits meant? That just went over my head. Also, is the Factory Zero achievement really glitched or do people just fuck up and blame the game?

Reference to Deus Ex 1.

Factory Zero in the DLC won't activate if you upgrade and then go back to an old save without it.

Troll

Banned
Reference to Deus Ex 1.

Factory Zero in the DLC won't activate if you upgrade and then go back to an old save without it.

The first Deus ex is the only one that I haven't played, I think I will have to google it.

So that ensures you playing through at least twice. I am assuming the CASIE implant is needed towards the end.

Montresor

Reference to Deus Ex 1.

It did work for me. There were plenty of times that I branched off with a different save in my Factory Zero run to spend praxis points for an unrelated achievement. After I got said achievement, I would reload my non-praxis save file and continue with the Factory Zero playthrough.

To the user Troll, I highly highly recommend that you do not go for any achievements in particular during your first DLC run. Play the game normally, enjoy the awesome scenario and game play, and then go for Factory Zero and the other miscellaneous achievements in a second run. =D

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
It did work for me. There were plenty of times that I branched off with a different save in my Factory Zero run to spend praxis points for an unrelated achievement. After I got said achievement, I would reload my non-praxis save file and continue with the Factory Zero playthrough.

You got lucky then as doing that consistently broke it for other people.

Montresor

CASIE is not needed in the end.

Spoiler for the end of Missing Link:
Yes CASIE (Social Enhancer augmentation) is needed for an achievement at the end. There is a conversation with the clever engineer before the end of the DLC. You must attempt to use CASIE on him during that particular conversation for the achievement. But keep in mind that would require an investment of two praxis points

Troll

Banned
Yes CASIE (Social Enhancer augmentation) is needed for an achievement at the end. There is a conversation with the clever engineer before the end of the DLC. You must attempt to use CASIE on him during that particular conversation for the achievement. But keep in mind that would require an investment of two praxis points

Cool thank you, that helped me get 1250/1250, super satisfying

trophie wise i don't remember,but when u try CASIE on him,he says it won't have any effect on him :).

I don't think I really picked up on what happened at the end of the missing link, was "Quinn" working for Bob?

Besides adding a sequel hook, the ending for TML references the Icarus Effect novel:
Quinn is talking to Janus, a mysterious hacker who appeared in the novel as a member/leader of The Juggernaut Collective, an anti-Illuminati cyberterrorist group. Janus' true identity has not been revealed, but it is possible that Janus and Quinn are operating a sort of proto-Silhouette group.

Troll

Banned
Besides adding a sequel hook, the ending for TML references the Icarus Effect novel:
Quinn is talking to Janus, a mysterious hacker who appeared in the novel as a member/leader of The Juggernaut Collective, an anti-Illuminati cyberterrorist group. Janus' true identity has not been revealed, but it is possible that Janus and Quinn are operating a sort of proto-Silhouette group.

Thats pretty cool. How many books are there?

Just tried to access the soundtrack from my bonus disc and it turns out the disc is a Blu-Ray... I don't have a BD Drive goddammit!

What do, GAF?

Just beat it. Great game, but the boss fights almost ruined the whole game for me.

They were alright. I got Barrett down by throwing toxic shit at him, Yelena by jumping over and towards her when she charged and then Combat Rifle up her ass (bit of a grind), and Namir with the Laser Rifle and the Heavy Rifle blindfire (also bit of a grind, but not as terrible as some people like to say).

Also, which of the endings did you choose? One of the main three or "the fourth". I love how Adam's speech took into account all my good actions during the side missions and my non lethal approach.

The only mods are the mod menu and inventory mod
There is the enb mod to remove the gold filter. Really makes the game nice and crisp.

http://enbdev.com/ss_deusex3_en.htm

Takes a pretty strong PC to run it and I'm not sure if it works on AMD videocards.
Thanks for the answers, interested in the mod that modifies the filter. Do you know for a fact that is too demanding? Maybe i'lll ask in the PC screenshot thread since its more active.

I picked this up a little while back, but I only started playing it this last week. I put in around 10 hours this weekend, and I've been loving it.

I played the original Deus Ex, and I enjoyed it okay. However, it never really clicked with me. I could see why people held it in such high regards, the level design and numerous ways of approaching things was impressive, and I liked a lot of the tone and presentation to it. That said, it was just not something that I personally found myself enjoying to the degree that others were.

Human Revolution must have done just the right adjusting to appeal to me or something, because I'm in love with this game. The art direction is hands-down my favorite aspect of the game. There are just so many fantastic ideas that are well realized in the game that it's always making me stop and stare as I pass by new elements in the environment. There's just something present that seems to be missing from a lot of sci-fi stuff nowadays that is very reminiscent of things I was fond of in the 90s cyberpunk and sci-fi with a bit of modern flavor added.

I don't know if others saw this as a detriment, but the "open" areas feel more accessible to me than the original. They're a bit smaller and easier to navigate for me, and I don't feel nearly as overwhelmed. Perhaps I'm only imagining it, but that's really helped my experience, because I tend to get really overwhelmed by some games when they present too many options to me. They also tend to be some of my favorite games this gen (Witcher 1/2, Mass Effect, Deadly Premonition, Alpha Protocol) when I manage to overcome it.

Not to mention, the music... Oh man, I'm going to have to see if I can buy the OST somewhere, because it's so good.

I've been playing as a non-killer (I cheated and
pushed a guy off a ledge
for an achievement and then reloaded, haha), but I recalled that there was no way to pacify the bosses. Kind of a bummer, but them's the breaks. Since I knew that would be part of the game, I've been holding onto a pistol that I've been upgrading and saving ammo for it. My first boss fight was a piece of cake, really. Just used the stun gun, blasted at the head, and repeated.

I pumped my hacking/speech/non-violent skills as soon as I had the chance. Really aggravated that some of them require 2 points with a free additional skill added. Why not just 1 and 1? I suppose for variety, but those Praxis points are burning holes in my pocket every time I get one, haha.

I'm just scratching the surface on
Hengsha
, and I can't wait to see what else is in store for the rest of the game.

XeroSauce

I think the speech augment and subsequent minigame were one of my favourite parts of this game. Man I just loved this game in general. I think I'm going to reinstall it.

If anybody is still having stuttering issues with the PC version, this seems to be fixing it for a lot of people:

http://ineveraskedforthis.net/fixing-deus-ex-human-revolution-stuttering/
I'm super uninformed on this type of stuff, but what exactly does that do? I mean, outside of fixing the stuttering, what does the changed value really do to the game itself?

I've very rarely had some stuttering when running through the city, but that might be more a function of just streaming in the environment.
You're in for a treat, I felt the game got better as it went on.

GOTY contender for 2011 that was sadly overlooked.
Nice! I think I'm nearly done wrapping up sidequests, and then I'll be able to continue with the main quest of checking out
the hacker in pod 301
. Just have to finish helping
Malik with her dead roommate stuff

I'm super uninformed on this type of stuff, but what exactly does that do? I mean, outside of fixing the stuttering, what does the changed value really do to the game itself?

I've very rarely had some stuttering when running through the city, but that might be more a function of just streaming in the environment.

Well, it turns off some threading optimizations that the game uses. I'm not sure why it fixes it for some people, but it's likely either an incompatibility with DX's threading and some drivers/CPUs/motherboards, or just poorly optimized threading in general.

Doesn't seem to fix it for everybody, and not everybody has stuttering problems. For me, I was getting terrible stuttering in Detroit until I followed those instructions.

Kinyou

Do you guys think that
there will be more DLC coming? If I remember correctly did the one they released end with "More things to come" or something like that.

BadTaste

New patch for PC..

The patch includes:

- Some players accounted a problem where the Tai Young Medical shuttle in Hengsha would not arrive. This has been resolved.
• Existing save-games can be loaded and continued from normally, the shuttle will now arrive.
- We have provided a workaround for stability and performance issues on AMD FX CPUs with specific firmware versions.
- We have made further changes to reduce stuttering in the game.
• Improvements to background streaming of resources. (on DX11 only)
• Workarounds have been added for issues that can happen with Windows asynchronous file IO.
• We have improved parallelism with the graphics driver on dual-core machines. (should also benefit machines with more cores)
- SSAO has been improved to look less noisy.
- Various minor issues with 3DVision have been resolved.

Patch must have come just in time, because I just encountered the shuttle thing tonight when I was playing, haha.

Second area spoilers-
Hengsha
Okay, I just now got into the facility for the main mission stuff, but that part with the hacker before it was rough! I'm playing a pacifist, and trying to clear that bottom floor took me several approaches before I was able to get them all without being spotted.

I'm nearing a point where there's not much left for me to upgrade in my augments. Well, at least that I would want to upgrade. All I really have left that I'll probably grab is the last in the silent movement branch, the last in the battery packs, and I'll probably start/complete the lung stuff. Outside of that, there isn't really anything else I want or need. I guess I can just blow praxis kits on something, but I've been trying to avoid the stuff that sounds like it could end up getting a kill (like the turret hacking).

New patch for PC..

The patch includes:

- Some players accounted a problem where the Tai Young Medical shuttle in Hengsha would not arrive. This has been resolved.
• Existing save-games can be loaded and continued from normally, the shuttle will now arrive.
- We have provided a workaround for stability and performance issues on AMD FX CPUs with specific firmware versions.
- We have made further changes to reduce stuttering in the game.
• Improvements to background streaming of resources. (on DX11 only)
• Workarounds have been added for issues that can happen with Windows asynchronous file IO.
• We have improved parallelism with the graphics driver on dual-core machines. (should also benefit machines with more cores)
- SSAO has been improved to look less noisy.
- Various minor issues with 3DVision have been resolved.
About time. My CPU would regularly attempt to self-combust while playing.

Top Bottom