• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Deus Ex: Human Revolution |OT| I never asked for this... It gave me lemon-lime

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Red Blaster said:
There's no incentive not to invest in computers though unless you want that extra challenge. Similar to the Dragon's Tooth, hacking turrets was basically a win button.

Thats kind of my point. A once off investment to Trained early on is all you'll ever need throughout the entire game for basically every single possible play style unless you really want to turn turrets against enemies, or you're depserate for cash (which you wont be). As a dedicated skill its not well integrated.

Sober said:
I can't remember correctly, but isn't also in real-time, i.e. it doesn't pause the game as you go by it? Because I got quite a chuckle reading the PCG review and how the reviewer wrote how he built a fort of boxes around a terminal/computer before starting the hack.

Someone mentioned it before but yes, this too. In Deus Ex if you saw a security terminal you could run up to it and start hacking, succeed, and flip a camera off, even while that camera is pointing directly at you. You cant do that in Human Revolution.

I liked the way hacking is implemented here with a skill check and the way the augmentations unlock new abilities within the minigame which itself is actually designed with some thought, unlike Mass Effect 2, for instance.

I only wish they left regular lockpicking in. It takes place before the original game yet mechanical locks are already phased out?

Confidence Man said:
I liked the way hacking is implemented here with a skill check and the way the augmentations unlock new abilities within the minigame which itself is actually designed with some thought, unlike Mass Effect 2, for instance.

I only wish they left regular lockpicking in. It takes place before the original game yet mechanical locks are already phased out?

yeah, this was the first I read about no lockpicking. That is a bit odd. I guess every door has a computer terminal or keypad next to it?

I like it when you can either lockpick or hack the terminal to open the door. Or just destroy it. You can still destroy locked doors, right?

Deadbeat

Banned
Confidence Man said:
There should have been another group of augmentations and then a whole other minigame involving locks. But then we could talk about swimming missing as well.

Theres are issues, but for the most part the game has done it right. The only thing I worry about is instead of having to split your skillpoints between two paths of entry(lockpicking and multitools) you can just hack everything if you meet the minimum requirement. That makes hacking so much more mandatory in building your character.

Then with the rumor that you can have ~70% of your augs unlocked through the game it sounds more like you will have hacking always selected then either persuasion/stealth/combat.

But we will see in 2 days.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Confidence Man said:

This is the only really significant downgrade I can think of, and I would have loved if lockpicking remained. I'm okay with computers and electronics mixed, but lockpicking would have been a nice variation. The level design as it is doesn't seem to need it, so I guess they streamlined it for that reason.

At least the door damage checks remain.

DaBuddaDa said:
Out of the ~5 reviews I've seen so far, I don't recall a single one mentioning anything positive or negative about the hacking mini-game. I wouldn't hand wring too much about it.

PC Gamer wrote it's the best hacking minigame or something like that.

Confidence Man said:

There's hacking in ME2?

I know there's a "win" button with virtually no reward. Is that what you mean?

JambiBum

KorrZ said:
From what I played of the preview build, nope. The ability to blow doors open isn't in HR.
I'm pretty sure that I've seen multiple people say that you can. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong though.

KorrZ

JambiBum said:
I'm pretty sure that I've seen multiple people say that you can. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong though.

Can anyone confirm this? Granted I haven't played it since it first leaked but I don't remember being able to. I feel like an idiot if I just completely missed that feature being in ><.

About the hacking:

Was there anything you really liked that had to be cut for whatever reason?

“Oh yeah!

My favorites were remote hacking and ATMs.”

What idea for HR looked amazing on paper, but simply did not work in the game? and what was it that didn't work?

“But there are so many!

Some dialogs were supposed to feature objects hidden in the background that you could find and analyze in order to unlock blackmail attacks that you could use to convince people to give you stuff. Unfortunately, you had to do this while the character was talking to you, so you had to concentrate on 2 things at once, which meant nobody was listening to what characters had to say.

The hacking was also supposed to be much more complicated than it is right now. Before accessing a device, you had to scan it for active ports. Some ports were slower but less protected, so you had to choose the best one for what you were attempting (whether you wanted to control or download something). Then you had to assign CPU cycles to various attack and defense programs while the system was trying to trace you. Anyway, we had it working in Excel and did three revisions before it was canned for the current node-centric system. People just didn’t get it.”

Grisby

TemplaerDude said:
There's hacking in ME2?

I know there's a "win" button with virtually no reward. Is that what you mean?

What 'win' button? Yeah, the text mini game that was in it was pretty fun.

I'm excited to play HR's. Love a good mini-hacking game.

CaLe

KorrZ said:
From what I played of the preview build, nope. The ability to blow doors open isn't in HR.

It is. At least using the explosive packs.

I'm pretty sure you can even throw a fridge through doors.

Deadbeat

Banned
KorrZ said:
In this video a guy shoots out a false wall in the leak using the pistol. Marked cause its a secret room.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T85j7edyW58

EatChildren

KorrZ said:
Can anyone confirm this? Granted I haven't played it since it first leaked but I don't remember being able to. I feel like an idiot if I just completely missed that feature being in ><.

As long as the door is made of a destructable material (eg: wood), it has an invisible heath bar, and can be damaged from explosives and impacks. You can (and I have done this) break down doors with thrown heavy objects (eg: fridge), or explosives.

Deadbeat said:
In this video a guy shoots out a false wall in the leak using the pistol. Marked cause its a secret room.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T85j7edyW58

All destroyable walls have a crack in them, which allows you to either blow/shoot/break them open, or punch through with the appropriate aug. If you have object highlight on breakable walls will glow, which is stupid.

Zeliard

EatChildren said:
All destroyable walls have a crack in them, which allows you to either blow/shoot/break them open, or punch through with the appropriate aug. If you have object highlight on breakable walls will glow, which is stupid.

So glad they gave us the option to disable highlights. :>

RedSwirl

Deadbeat said:
Its not GFW certified. This mean the box doesnt have an ugly bar that means nothing.

GFW, not GFWL.

Plus, lots of PC games use the GFW banner on the box but don't actually use GFWL, one being New Vegas which is actually a Steamworks game like Deus Ex.

Eusis

Not that I'm the person to use those kinds of covers, but why not either the typical PC DVD-ROM logo (albit in another corner), leaving it plain, or trying something different and throwing the Steam logo there?

That, and the GFW branding is more than just about GFWL, and requires some things done by the publisher IIRC, though it admittedly nails the major one I can think of (360 controller capability).

(._.)

Banned
I don't mind that they replaced lock picks and multitools with mini games. I just hope they don't get boring towards the end of the game like some of those mini games do.

Also hope this game holds up or at least gives the original a fair shake at being a solid game in the Deus Ex franchise. I never touched invisible war and never plan to. I'm just hopping this one isn't all hype that gets too much love from the fickle gamer/critic.

AEREC

Deadly Monk said:
Which version are you guys getting?

Or is that a silly question...

nah...it's a legit question. Im going with the PC version, which is the best version in most cases, and this is looking to be one of those cases.

Varna

PC version here of course. I have yet to encounter a single multiplatform game that wasn't 10x better on the pc
OK... Saints Row 2... but it was only 5 bucks

Any word on pc performance? Running with a i5-760 @3.8 and 580gtx (I know I should be able to max out, but sometimes games just aren't optimized well).

Simo

Man, I'm kind of bummed the OST that comes with the Augmented Edition is pretty much just a 12 track sampler. I mean it's less than 30 minutes of music. :(

I don't have any direct quotes from gaffers on hand but I've been reading this thread every day and remember people saying it's very well optimized

AEREC said:
No reason it should'nt be since it works with a 360 pad and runs on windows (those are the requirements right?)....I guess it's just not official since it doesnt have the white abr on top...which would be ugly in this case.

It doesn't say anywhere that it works with a 360 pad. Unless you can confirm it which would make me super happy.

Deadly Monk said:
It doesn't say anywhere that it works with a 360 pad. Unless you can confirm it which would make me super happy.

Couple people in this thread have confirmed it works with the 360 pad, and it also changes the UI to boot, apparently.

TemplaerDude said:
Couple people in this thread have confirmed it works with the 360 pad, and it also changes the UI to boot, apparently.

Ah, interesting. That sounds cool. The only reason I questioned it is because on Steam it doesn't have an icon for gamepad support.

Acheron

Banned
Do we know yet which of the consoles plays better? Looking to preorder tomorrow (to get the mission pack) and want to know which one to order for.

TemplaerDude said:
Yessssss!!! That was my last concern (the UI not changing when using the 360 pad).

Deadly Monk said:
Which version are you guys getting?

Or is that a silly question...

Was between the 360 and PS3 for me since I'm not sure how my laptop would run the PC version. Went with the 360 version for controller choice and being able to install to the HD.

legbone

Simo said:
Man, I'm kind of bummed the OST that comes with the Augmented Edition is pretty much just a 12 track sampler. I mean it's less than 30 minutes of music. :(

damn. that's the worst news i've heard about human revolution. that sucks. one of the main reasons i'm getting the augmented edition is for the soundtrack. i still think there will be a separate release once the launch window has passed. maybe it will be meatier.

Top Bottom