• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Deus Ex: Human Revolution |OT| I never asked for this... It gave me lemon-lime

EatChildren said:
You're picturing Human Revolution exactly the same way as Deus Ex, where it wasn't uncommon to find a stupid amount of locked and/or hackable objects in a small area, like security cameras, ATMs, computers, terminals, locked doors, safes, numberpads, power boxes, alarm keys, and so on.

You'll be hacking/unlocking far less frequently.
I suppose that's one thing.

I really did find sneaking around by hacking/picking to be satisfying, though, so I'll be interested to see how they replace those if they're less frequent for a stealth player.

DaBuddaDa said:
Out of the ~5 reviews I've seen so far, I don't recall a single one mentioning anything positive or negative about the hacking mini-game. I wouldn't hand wring too much about it.

Yeah, but I have a real big hatred of them now, moreso than the average player, I'd imagine.

Clevinger

Foliorum Viridum said:
Looks awful.

As a stealth player who relied on hacking/lock picking, this is very disappointing.

I know that the system used in the original game was simplistic and not reliant on skill, but it allowed me to keep moving easily and focused on the game I wanted to play. Having to stop every minute (or sometimes more than that, depending on the level) to jump into a puzzle game like that is really a horrible thought. My hype has genuinely gone down a bit now.

Hacking has an item bypass similar to lockpicks and multitools in the first game. It will be harder, but you don't have to actively hack.

This game made me realize that there is a severe lack of cyberpunk themed games out there.

EmCeeGramr said:
So we CAN hack ATMs?

Because I like playing a dick in Deus Ex games who just steals people's money for no goddamned reason.

Negative batman.

Derrick01

Banned
I want to like the hacking minigame but everytime I see it in action it blows my mind, I have no clue what's going on. Even during previews that are explaining how to do it as it's going on I still can't pick it up. I don't think I've ever seen anything from a game that made me feel like a total dumbass before. Hopefully when I play it I'll pick it up quicker.

Clevinger said:
Hacking has an item bypass similar to lockpicks and multitools in the first game. It will be harder, but you don't have to actively hack.
Also very good news!

I loved hacking ATMs, too. Finding an account with 400+ in was a great feeling.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Clevinger said:

Isn't the auto hacking item a pre-order bonus, and thus not in the base game?

Derrick01 said:
I want to like the hacking minigame but everytime I see it in action it blows my mind, I have no clue what's going on. Even during previews that are explaining how to do it as it's going on I still can't pick it up. I don't think I've ever seen anything from a game that made me feel like a total dumbass before. Hopefully when I play it I'll pick it up quicker.

Think of it like a race. You have a starting hub, and you have to reach the end hub. You get there by activating the various nodes in between. When you trip the security system, it tries to go in an opposite direction, itself activating nodes with the goal of getting to your starting hub.

If you get to the end hub first you win. If it hacks your hub first you lose.

Derrick01

Banned
EatChildren said:
Think of it like a race. You have a starting hub, and you have to reach the end hub. You get there by activating the various nodes in between. When you trip the security system, it tries to go in an opposite direction, itself activating nodes with the goal of getting to your starting hub.

If you get to the end hub first you win. If it hacks your hub first you lose.

But every video I see they always have so little time available and I notice all these extra hubs, like the bonus item ones (which my OCD will compell me to grab) that they skip. How do they get them all in time?

As for the auto hacking thing from what I've been told it's an item you can buy or find but by preordering they give you 1 right away, but it's only good for 1 use.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Derrick01 said:
But every video I see they always have so little time available and I notice all these extra hubs, like the bonus item ones (which my OCD will compell me to grab) that they skip. How do they get them all in time?

As for the auto hacking thing from what I've been told it's an item you can buy or find but by preordering they give you 1 right away, but it's only good for 1 use.

Well, there are multiple paths to the end hub, so its up to you to chose the best plan of attack. There are extra nodes you can capture that grant you additional XP, or extra items for making the hacking easier. They're bonuses, and it ultimately boils down to risk vs. reward, and whether or not you think you can get to them in time. You can hack multiple nodes at once, so while one node is hacking in one direction you can be hacking another going towards rewards. Its about balance.

Plus, you do have the defensive and nuke abilities to help get you things quicker and safer. Nuke a node and you wont trigger the defense system. Defend it and it will take longer for the defense system to capturing your hub.

It seems intimidating at first, but once you get your hands on it its suprisingly straight forward.

Zenith said:
No, they're all over the levels, but you start with one with the pre-order.

This is good to hear, and makes much more sense. Thanks!

Deadbeat

Banned
EmCeeGramr said:
So we CAN hack ATMs?

Because I like playing a dick in Deus Ex games who just steals people's money for no goddamned reason.
Nope.

But you can rob storage depots.
EatChildren said:
Isn't the auto hacking item a pre-order bonus, and thus not in the base game?
First weapons dealer sells a couple iirc.

Foliorum Viridum said:
Looks awful.

As a stealth player who relied on hacking/lock picking, this is very disappointing.

I know that the system used in the original game was simplistic and not reliant on skill, but it allowed me to keep moving easily and focused on the game I wanted to play. Having to stop every minute (or sometimes more than that, depending on the level) to jump into a puzzle game like that is really a horrible thought. My hype has genuinely gone down a bit now.

Then don't use the hacking, build a character with different skillsets. It's entirely optional except for I believe a single basic hack in the tutorial. Problem solved.

TeK-DeLorean

Neo Member
Maffis said:
Hearing about the framerate on consoles is pretty disappointing.
360 version runs fine, got about 10 or so hours in. No framerate dips as far as I could tell/see. Although I am sneaking through most of the game so not many heavy firefights.

Also yes, it feels like MGS + Rainbow Six Vegas + Mass Effect +... hacking minigame.
The hacking minigame is mostly optional it seems, you can hunt for passwords if you don't feel like hacking, or you can just skip them altogether and find another way in.

Personally I enjoy the minigame, took me 5 minutes to get the gist of it, and there's different ways to handle them. Plus decent bonuses in each one if you wanna take the time (and are fast enough) to figure them out.

The game also stores passwords for you, and brings them up on screen if you have them. (I was about to bust out the old notepad and pencil.) You just have to type them in. I plugged my xbox360 chatpad in and it actually works for typing.. so dope.

TeK-DeLorean said:
360 version runs fine, got about 10 or so hours in. No framerate dips as far as I could tell/see. Although I am sneaking through most of the game so not many heavy firefights.

Also yes, it feels like MGS + Rainbow Six Vegas + Mass Effect +... hacking minigame.
The hacking minigame is mostly optional it seems, you can hunt for passwords if you don't feel like hacking, or you can just skip them altogether and find another way in.

Personally I enjoy the minigame, took me 5 minutes to get the gist of it, and there's different ways to handle them. Plus decent bonuses in each one if you wanna take the time (and are fast enough) to figure them out.

The game also stores passwords for you, and brings them up on screen if you have them. (I was about to bust out the old notepad and pencil.) You just have to type them

how are the load times on the 360? and the graphics seem fine to you?

thanks man

Sullen

The hacking mini game is awesome. What the hell is wrong with some of you? No wonder they don't design games like this anymore, you want everything to be done for you.

charsace

Sullen said:
The hacking mini game is awesome. What the hell is wrong with some of you? No wonder they don't design games like this anymore, you want everything to be done for you.
This.

I thought the hacking mini game was great in the preview. Its not like alpha protocol where it was just frustrating.

Teknoman

Sullen said:

Im glad you have to actually hack with the chance of getting caught (aside from setting off an alarm like in most games).

charsace said:
This.

I thought the hacking mini game was great in the preview. Its not like alpha protocol where it was just frustrating.
I'm with you. Hacking minigame is one of the great things about the game. Really well designed and had some effort put into building it. Such a shame to hear people complain about it...

Ynot nosniboR

Neo Member
Awesome thread! I'm disappointed to see that my PC falls just below the recommended requirements, just have to get it on the Xbox roll on the 26th!

Foliorum Viridum said:
Looks awful.

I'm really surprised that the hacking is so polarizing. It's far far more interesting than the original game. You aren't taken out of the game, that interpretation makes no sense at all. The guards can still find you so you are pressed to get in and get out in time, especially when you are playing stealthy.

Teknoman

Hit recommended aside from having a Radeon 4870 1GB instead of 5800 series, but im sure it'll still perform better than the 360/PS3 even if you arent 100% at recommended spec.

Qwomo

Calavera520 said:
I'm really surprised that the hacking is so polarizing. It's far far more interesting than the original game. You aren't taken out of the game, that interpretation makes no sense at all. The guards can still find you so you are pressed to get in and get out in time, especially when you are playing stealthy.
It's only polarizing to people who haven't played the game. The minigame is perfectly fine in practice.

NIN90

You know what's also cool about this game?

It's finally a game with a meaty stealth component without constant hand holding. I can't recall a single game from this gen except MGS4 that got that right.
I mean out of all games fucking Alpha Protocol came close and that game's gameplay was less than stellar (though everything else about it was great).

NIN90 said:
You know what's also cool about this game?

It's finally a game with a meaty stealth component without constant hand holding. I can't recall a single game from this gen except MGS4 that got that right.
I mean out of all games fucking Alpha Protocol came close and that game's gameplay was less than stellar (though everything else about it was great).
Fuck yea. Do you know how good it feels knowing ill be playing a real stealth game again in 24 hours and some more. So damn good.

Sullen said:
You realise Deus Ex is a game that came out in 2000, right? They did it right back then. All of these games since that have some bullshit puzzle game to make it feel like you're actually hacking is game design going downhill.

The design I like is from over a decade ago. This isn't some "modern gaming is dumbing down" thing.

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
The hacking is the best example of how a hacking mini game should be done. Makes all others look like mini games, where this feels much more rooted in the world. Not to mention that you can look around and see guards and such approaching when using the interface. Makes it much more intense.

AEREC

shagg_187 said:
Alright. Time to play GOTY Edition. Wish me luck!

How long is the game, by the way?

I just beat it and my steam game time says 20.3 hours...I felt like I kinda rushed through it too.

Edit...however, looking at my last quicksave just before the end of the game the time says 14 hours 20 minutes.

Foliorum Viridum said:
You realise Deus Ex is a game that came out in 2000, right? They did it right back then. All of these games since that have some bullshit puzzle game to make it feel like you're actually hacking is game design going downhill.

The design I like is from over a decade ago. This isn't some "modern gaming is dumbing down" thing.

Lawl, hacking in Deus Ex is literally a skill check and nothing else. It's not even game design.

woober

shagg_187 said:
Alright. Time to play GOTY Edition. Wish me luck!

How long is the game, by the way?

Steam says I logged 32 hours on it. Took my damn time for the first half of the game, though.

EatChildren

Also, hacking in Human Revolution still involves a skill check. Hacks are rated by level, and if you haven't unlocked the associated level on your skill tree you wont be able to hack at all.

Red Blaster said:
Lawl, hacking in Deus Ex is literally a skill check and nothing else. It's not even game design.
It's better than a forced mini game, though. I admitted it wasn't deep or reliant on skill earlier.

Anyway, I've voiced my view on this matter enough, so this shall be my last post until I've played it and can complain with concrete evidence. ;)

20 hours sounds about the same time it took me to finish the first game, so that's good to hear!

Foliorum Viridum said:

That's just the thing though, it ain't better. The various skills/augs you invest in to open new paths is already dangerously close to being "you invested in the blue key, now you can open all the blue doors". Putting a fun, challenging hacking thing in staves this off. You do need the blue key, but there's more to it than that. Lockpicking, electronics and hacking were all poor in DX1 for this reason. Like, they were functional yeah, but they were totally uninteresting.

AEREC

Foliorum Viridum said:

Different strokes for different folks...Deus Ex hacking was just pushing a button.

I really want a mini game with depth or something to make me feel like Im actually hacking into something. Bioshocks, Fallouts (3 & NV), Mass Effects, etc... hacking mini games kind of fall short.

Hopefully the one in HR is satisfying.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
If anyone ordered the Augmented Edition on Amazon try emailing them to get the $10 credit. They made an exception and gave it to me just because I asked if the Augmented Edition was also eligible.

EatChildren

I kind of like the old electronics and lockpicking skills in Deus Ex, balancing the amount of tools/lockpicks I had with how badly I needed to use them.

Computers was a worthless skill though. Unless you're anal about the extra cash from ATMs or using turrets, having it set to 'Trained' was all you needed to access every damn system in the game and turn off every camera. Same goes for security systems. It negated the need to search for logins/passwords too.

Keep hacking mini-games, remove "tap x button to turn this valve!" or "press x button to open this door that's closing." That shits the worst thing ever.

Example, opening vents in arkham asylum... No need for that shit.

EatChildren said:
I kind of like the old electronics and lockpicking skills in Deus Ex, balancing the amount of tools/lockpicks I had with how badly I needed to use them.

Computers was a worthless skill though. Unless you're anal about the extra cash from ATMs or using turrets, having it set to 'Trained' was all you needed to access every damn system in the game and turn off every camera. Same goes for security systems. It negated the need to search for logins/passwords too.

There's no incentive not to invest in computers though unless you want that extra challenge. Similar to the Dragon's Tooth, hacking turrets was basically a win button.

Sober

EatChildren said:
Also, hacking in Human Revolution still involves a skill check. Hacks are rated by level, and if you haven't unlocked the associated level on your skill tree you wont be able to hack at all.
I can't remember correctly, but isn't also in real-time, i.e. it doesn't pause the game as you go by it? Because I got quite a chuckle reading the PCG review and how the reviewer wrote how he built a fort of boxes around a terminal/computer before starting the hack.

Red Blaster said:

It's like Invisible War game design. Multitool for everything! one ammo type! let's drink skim milk and eat flavorless gruel! the end result is the same, right? right?

TeK-DeLorean

Neo Member
JetBlackPanda said:
how are the load times on the 360? and the graphics seem fine to you?

thanks man
360 Graphics seem fine to me, I play on a 21 inch monitor 1440x900 though. Not the best, but nothing ugly or distracting EXCEPT for random NPC faces.. those are cringe worthy. But the rendered cut scenes are nice, important NPC's are good to great and Adam's character model is excellent.
Loading screens are somewhat noticeable, especially if you keep reloading saves like I was, but it's not HORRIBLE. Another reason I'm grabbing the PC version.
Sullen said:
Seriously.
I like the fact that the game is still going on while you are at a terminal, you have to make sure the coast is clear or you're out of sight when hacking something or you will get seen/alerted/attacked. The minigame really is a big part of how good the game is.

Top Bottom