• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Deus Ex: Human Revolution |OT| I never asked for this... It gave me lemon-lime

Dennis

Banned
DaBuddaDa said:
If I read one review that says something like: "Sometimes it's hard to determine where to go next. Some sort of marker or indicator pointing you in the right direction would be welcome" I will knock over the nearest magazine rack in a fit of rage.
Time to up the blood pressure medicine doses.....

Gvaz

Banned
From what I saw of the leak, I never had any issues like that.

The level design was pretty good, and while it was open, you knew where you had to go without being spun around and pointed.

dmshaposv

bob page said:
PSM3 review: 8.8/10

"The PS3's smartest shooter."

I've always found these "8.8" out of reviews hilarious. So the game is worse than 9/10 but better than 8/10.

Thank god Gamespot god rid of this shitty system years ago.

Zenith

Banned
dmshaposv said:
I've always found these "8.8" out of reviews hilarious. So the game is worse than 9/10 but better than 8/10.

Thank god Gamespot god rid of this shitty system years ago.

I don't know about you but my tastes are developed enough that I can detail how much I like it to a hundredth.

DaBuddaDa said:
If I read one review that says something like: "Sometimes it's hard to determine where to go next. Some sort of marker or indicator pointing you in the right direction would be welcome" I will knock over the nearest magazine rack in a fit of rage.
But that won't happen since the game has a mission indicator that will tell you exactly where you need to go for each objective.

The good thing is that you can disable it completely!

Uriah

masterkajo said:
I just finished the first Deus Ex and I am loving it. WOW what a great game. Can't wait for Friday (Europe)...

Does someone have Deus Ex: Invisible Wars on steam for Trade or Gifting? Because you only get Deus Ex GOTY with the Augmentet Edition for DE:HR. I don't want to pay €9.99.- for it. And I know its not as good but I need something until next Friday!

You don't want to play Invisible War. Trust me.

kaskade

I'm kind of against buying games day one since I feel they always drop 10-20 bucks in like 2 weeks with sales. (Minus big first party stuff). I haven't bought a game in a while though so I may go for it. Looks pretty fun considering I've been over FPS games since reach

aegies

TheLegendOfMart said:
Pretty bad, framerate is choppy and you get pretty harsh framerate dips in places.

I can count the framerate drops on the 360 version on one hand. And they're pretty much all during cinemas.

http://live.xbox.com/en-US/member/aegies

I keep seeing people do this, and I don't understand why. The console versions appear on par, though I've only played the PS3 version at work, not on my setup at home.

Impulse bought this off GMG...I hope I'm in for a treat as I stopped paying attention to this game since last year's first gameplay showing.

I must admit, I liked the fact there was no shit mini-game for hacking/lock picking in the original.

Are those now mini-games?

I never want to hack a computer or pick a lock in a game again, just like I don't want to get on a turret.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Foliorum Viridum said:
I must admit, I liked the fact there was no shit mini-game for hacking/lock picking in the original.

I never want to hack a computer or pick a lock in a game again, just like I don't want to get on a turret.

Lock picking is gone. All hacking, either for computers or keypads, is a minigame.

cackhyena said:
So this isn't unlocking at midnight, it's 2 am for according to Steam for me. *__*

I don't think any game I've ever bought day 1 on steam has unlocked at midnight. It's usually like 10 AM on release date.

aegies said:
I can count the framerate drops on the 360 version on one hand. And they're pretty much all during cinemas.

http://live.xbox.com/en-US/member/aegies

I keep seeing people do this, and I don't understand why. The console versions appear on par, though I've only played the PS3 version at work, not on my setup at home.

That's a relief, I plan on playing this on the 360 since my laptop won't do it justice.

In the Bestbuy ad that I got today it has a blurb under Deus Ex saying: "Deus Ex: Human Revolution comes with the Tactical Enhancement Pack, including 2 weapons: The Huntsman Silverback Shotgun and the Longsword Whisperhead (SERSR) Sniper Rifle, plus FREE weapon upgrade and in-game character augmentation."

It says nothing about pre-ordering it so here's hoping it comes with the copy I buy.

Does anybody have any idea how a 1GB 460 will run the game? I assume since I can handle the witcher 2 on high setting I should be able to do this game no problem. Also does it make me a bad person that I'm buying it on steam instead of the $30 deal on greenmangaming just for the tf2 extras?

woober

woober said:
I'm at Area 51 in Deus Ex 1. First playthrough. I'M GOING TO FINISH YOU!

And I finished! I thought the story was great (similar to MGS without all the melodrama and convolution).

I really enjoyed how there's no dictated path to a mission. It always felt like I would always end up at my objective no matter where I wandered off to. I did find the controls very frustrating at times though (especially fighting those mechanical spiders and shooting in general), but that's only because its such an old game. Thank god I went stealth for most of the game.

Will be getting the Augmented Edition of HR. :)

NIN90

picklecannon said:
Does anybody have any idea how a 1GB 460 will run the game? I assume since I can handle the witcher 2 on high setting I should be able to do this game no problem. Also does it make me a bad person that I'm buying it on steam instead of the $30 deal on greenmangaming just for the tf2 extras?

I have the same card. The preview code ran pretty well.

xandaca

JohngPR said:
I hope no one minds, but I thought to post my review of the first Deus Ex in here since I thought it might be useful for those that are interested in playing it for the first time like I did (no spoilers in the review).

http://johngpr.wordpress.com/2011/08/21/lttp-my-deus-ex-review/

I'm glad I had a chance to beat Deus Ex 1 before Deus Ex: HR came out!

Good review, I agree with a lot of your conclusions. There are many areas where the game hasn't aged well, but the weight of its innovations still make it an enjoyable and surprising experience today.

hlhbk

I asked this last week and was sent to a video that didn't tell the story at all. Is there a great video summary of the story of the first 2 games? I don't have time to play through the origional and want to be sure I don't miss any of the story leading into the game on Tuesday?

Foliorum Viridum said:

Play Invisible War then. That game does everything for you.

Hacking/lock picking in Deus Ex 1 was one of those nasty design relics like stat based shooting. When hacking comes down to: a) making sure no one is around, and b) making sure a number is high enough, it doesn't feel like hacking. It felt wrong in a game where you could find usernames/passwords and had to manually input them on your keyboard.

At least mini-games make player skill a factor for success. attributes can help, and later, become necessary to succeed but ultimately it's the player's input that matters. it comes down to feeling like you've become a better hacker though proficiency with the mechanics, versus an arbitrary number matching another arbitrary number with a dice roll mixed in.

my only worry, and someone here could probably answer, is if the hacking is still real time. because that at least added some tension to Deus Ex's hacking.

NIN90

hlhbk said:
I asked this last week and was sent to a video that didn't tell the story at all. Is there a great video summary of the story of the first 2 games? I don't have time to play through the origional and want to be sure I don't miss any of the story leading into the game on Tuesday?

http://deusex.wikia.com/wiki/Deus_Ex_Wiki

Linkzg said:
Play Invisible War then. That game does everything for you.

Hacking/lock picking in Deus Ex 1 was one of those nasty design relics like stat based shooting. When hacking comes down to: a) making sure no one is around, and b) making sure a number is high enough, it doesn't feel like hacking. It felt wrong in a game where you could find usernames/passwords and had to manually input them on your keyboard.

At least mini-games make player skill a factor for success. attributes can help, and later, become necessary to succeed but ultimately it's the player's input that matters. it comes down to feeling like you've become a better hacker though proficiency with the mechanics, versus an arbitrary number matching another arbitrary number with a dice roll mixed in.

my only worry, and someone here could probably answer, if it the hacking is still real time. because that at least added some tension to Deus Ex's hacking.

I'm pretty sure it was real time in the preview code. I distinctly remember getting caught all the time when I tried to hack computers in the police station.

AEREC

picklecannon said:

Im pretty sure you should be able to run it fine, Ive seen posts where people have been able to run the press build flawlessly on lesser video cards. Anyways I have the same card so we will find out in 2 days.

I also returned my GMG copy just to purchase it on steam for the TF2 items...I do feel a little bad about it though.

woober

Linkzg said:
It felt wrong in a game where you could find usernames/passwords and had to manually input them on your keyboard.

I felt the same, too. Even when I knew the username/password, I couldn't be bothered to go in menu and copy down the words. I just clicked hack, sat back, and got access. Made me wonder why they even have username/passwords when it was so much easier to click a button. It definitely would have felt more natural without the button, and forcing you to get the username/pass.

NIN90 said:
I'm pretty sure it was real time in the preview code. I distinctly remember getting caught all the time when I tried to hack computers in the police station.

radical. hacking that freezes the game is pretty annoying, like in Bioshock where you can hack a security camera 10 feet in the air during a big daddy fight and still rearrange pipes without a care.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
SteveWinwood said:

Yeah. I mean, I hope I haven't hyped this as a 100% accurate Deus Ex game, because its quite clearly not. It has been streamlined, and it will have some annoying additions (eg: the stupid unavoidable boss fights). But even so, most of the streamlining works incredibly well without seriously detracting from an authentic Deus Ex experience, which is what Human Revolution seems to offer. That, by its own merits, should be worthy of praise, as nothing has come close since Bloodlines.

EatChildren said:
Yeah. I mean, I hope I haven't hyped this as a 100% accurate Deus Ex game, because its quite clearly not. It has been streamlined, and it will have some annoying additions (eg: the stupid unavoidable boss fights). But even so, most of the streamlining works incredibly well without seriously detracting from an authentic Deus Ex experience, which is what Human Revolution seems to offer. That, by its own merits, should be worthy of praise, as nothing has come close since Bloodlines.

A 100% accurate Deus Ex game would involve us receiving a godlike superweapon half-way through that breaks the rest of the game.

EatChildren

Foliorum Viridum said:
Eurgh!

Great, annoying puzzles games to distract from the actual game. So sick of them.

I'm usually in the same boat, but the hacking mini game in Human Revolution is legitimately enjoyable, in my opinion. Its not like a carbon copy of simon, like what you'd find in Mass Effect. Its a game within a game, that requires its own tactical approach, and even has its own useful items and aug upgrades.

Red Blaster said:
A 100% accurate Deus Ex game would involve us receiving a godlike superweapon half-way through that breaks the rest of the game.

To be fair, the preview code didn't cover half the game, so we might still get that :p.

woober

Red Blaster said:

LOL. I loved it. My original plan was to go stealth all the way... but then I got my hands on that weapon. I went on a freaking bloody rampage after that. Pretty hilarious.

It will have to be really good for me to like it. I've done so many hacking and lock picking mini games that the mere thought of it bores me. Fallout: NV was the last straw where I realised it was just a chore.

Saige

I must do better.
Just finished the first Deus Ex and wow that’s a great game. Went with a lethal stealth style playthrough and clocked in about 25 hours since I made sure to do a bunch of exploration.

Can’t wait for HR now, I just hope they eventually release the aug edition exclusive mission as dlc since I want to see Tong again.

DaBuddaDa said:
Looks awful.

As a stealth player who relied on hacking/lock picking, this is very disappointing.

I know that the system used in the original game was simplistic and not reliant on skill, but it allowed me to keep moving easily and focused on the game I wanted to play. Having to stop every minute (or sometimes more than that, depending on the level) to jump into a puzzle game like that is really a horrible thought. My hype has genuinely gone down a bit now.

ASilva

Neo Member
Ahhh damn it... Couldn't resist and got it from GMG (thanks to wilflare for the help btw). Preloading now

dexkfpm.jpg

timezf0c.jpg

Damn, 4 long days...

Foliorum Viridum said:
Looks awful.

As a stealth player who relied on hacking/lock picking, this is very disappointing.

I know that the system used in the original game was simplistic and not reliant on skill, but it allowed me to keep moving easily and focused on the game I wanted to play. Having to stop every minute (or sometimes more than that, depending on the level) to jump into a puzzle game like that is really a horrible thought. My hype has genuinely gone down a bit now.

Yep.

Every minute.

That's all this game is.

A couple shots from your gun and then hacking mini game right away.

TemplaerDude said:
Yep.

Every minute.

That's all this game is.

A couple shots from your gun and then hacking mini game right away.
When in a building in the original sometimes it was less than every minute. I was just playing the game earlier this week where you
go to put out the signal for your brother after his killswitch has been activated
and that building had an underground passageway that was nearly entirely lock picking and hacking turrets.

I was probably hacking/picking a lock every 45 seconds or so for a few minutes in that sequence.

EatChildren

Foliorum Viridum said:
Looks awful.

You're picturing Human Revolution exactly the same way as Deus Ex, where it wasn't uncommon to find a stupid amount of locked and/or hackable objects in a small area, like security cameras, ATMs, computers, terminals, locked doors, safes, numberpads, power boxes, alarm keys, and so on.

You'll be hacking/unlocking far less frequently.

ezekial45

Banned
Foliorum Viridum said:
Looks awful.

I really liked how it played to be honest. You can do the easy hacks pretty quickly if you do the mini-game right.

DaBuddaDa

Out of the ~5 reviews I've seen so far, I don't recall a single one mentioning anything positive or negative about the hacking mini-game. I wouldn't hand wring too much about it.

Top Bottom