• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Deus Ex: Human Revolution |OT| I never asked for this... It gave me lemon-lime

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
angular graphics said:
Here's a collection of info, quotes I just compiled from various sources about the extra graphical features of the PC version:

pssh, let me know when it has trophies and I'll start to give a shit

anyways, one day away bros - it's almost time, sleep up and get ready to poopsock this shit

angular graphics said:
Here's a collection of info, quotes I just compiled from various sources about the extra graphical features of the PC version:

AMD HD3D: play in 3D

AMD Eyefinity: play using 3 or 5 monitors

Real-time tessellation
"We mainly used it to improve character silhouettes, but also used it for some other objects in the world. In Deus Ex: Human Revolution you see characters up close a lot as you interact with them, like in dialogues. Using tessellation to improve their look really helps make the world and the characters more believable, which is important in a story-heavy game like Deus Ex: Human Revolution."
"As for something that didn't make the cut, after we had been quite successful in using tessellation on characters, we also spent quite some time trying to use it on the environment as well. With the type of cityscape environments that we see in Deus Ex: Human Revolution it ultimately wasn't a good fit."
My note: In a demonstration with AMD they said (some?) characters now use 60000 polys instead of 7000.

Improved Depth of Field (DOF)
"improved blurs and depth of field"
"The PC depth of field really adds a cinematographic touch to the social interaction with NPCs"
"We used compute shaders to improve the look and performance of some post processing effects. AMD has done some great work in this area as well, which we were able to leverage."

Morphological Anti-Aliasing (MLAA)
"We did quite a lot of work on anti-aliasing as well. We offer various anti-aliasing options to gamers to choose from depending on how powerful their hardware is. They really help smooth out rough edges that you can see more easily on a PC monitor."
My note: the leak had the options to use Edge AA in dx9, and FXAA in dx11.

High-quality shadow filtering
"smoother shadows"

Improved Screen Space Ambient Occlusion
"more realistic ambient occlusion effects"
"Also for SSAO (Screen Space Ambient Occlusion) on PC we use a technique which a bit more expensive than the one we use on consoles as the GPU is powerful enough to support it. This really by anchors every object in the environment, giving them a strong contact shadow. This has a dramatic effect on the cluttering you find in the game’s universe."

Bonus:
"For the PC version, we upgraded the textures."

Dat_ass.jpg

dat pc

Just pre-purchased this off Steam. I never played a Deus Ex game, so hopefully this will be a pleasant surprise. If I don't like it, at least I got the TF2 items. From what I've read I should be very happy with the game though.

Robot Pants

But are the graphics in this game really that amazing anyway?
Not that it matters to me at all - I'm in it for the gameplay and story, but everything I've seen on this game makes the graphics look rather average.
Am I totally wrong on this?

JohngPR said:
We're PC Rig twins. I have a Phenom X4 with a 5770 GPU and run my games at 1080p on a 23 inch screen. :p

For what it's worth, I played the preview version with DX11, FXAA, Tessellation on with Vsync and triple buffering on via D3Doverrider (since the game kept defaulting me to 30fps with V-sync on natively) and the game averaged around 54fps for me when I ran a benchmark test.

I was going to get it on PS3, but the game runs too good on my PC to not get it on there. Not only that, but after beating Deux Ex on PC yesterday, I feel its appropriate. ;)

DX11 was busted in the preview build.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Red Blaster said:
DX11 was busted in the preview build.

The dim boot up was the only broken aspect, wasn't it? And even then you could prevent it by holding shift.

Snuggler said:
pssh, let me know when it has trophies and I'll start to give a shit

anyways, one day away bros - it's almost time, sleep up and get ready to poopsock this shit

notsureifserious.jpg but it has Steam achievements which are the exact same thing.

Peterthumpa

The English Conquistador said:
Crysis 2 was already amazing graphically, the update just made it even better. This game isn't amazing graphically. It relies on it's art style more than anything.
I meant specifically about DX11 effects, not better graphics in general.

Robot Pants said:
But are the graphics in this game really that amazing anyway?
Not that it matters to me at all - I'm in it for the gameplay and story, but everything I've seen on this game makes the graphics look rather average.
Am I totally wrong on this?

Nope. The DX11 stuff sounds good, but it won't make the game look drastically better at all. People who are expecting Crysis 2 update levels of graphical fidelity are kidding themselves. The art is the thing that sells this games look, not the graphics.

felipepl said:
I meant specifically about DX11 effects, not better graphics in general.

DX11 effects that improved Crysis 2's graphics, yes?

Stallion Free said:
It's gonna look drastically better than the console version and that's what counts.

It looking better than the console version is basically a given.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Nope. The DX11 stuff sounds good, but it won't make the game look drastically better at all. People who are expecting Crysis 2 update levels of graphical fidelity are kidding themselves. The art is the thing that sells this games look, not the graphics.
It's gonna look drastically better than the console version and that's what counts.

The better SSAO will make a pretty big difference IMO, because every single room has tons of cluttered props => the contact shadows it'll create will compliment the art very nicely.

But that's just my opinion, we'll see.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
It's certainly not gonna be a graphical stunner, we all know that. But with heaps of AA, a high resolution, and the shadow/texture upgrades, I expect a very sharp looking game that runs without any major drops below 60FPS. My eyes will be pleased.

also, I made this for you guys:

a4c1af7e1e9c65938ad4558ac21dd4a63e427eb5.gif

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
felipepl said:
So, another thing... we can safely say now that the leak only made benefits to the game, right?

Seems like it. It definitely generated a lot of positive hype for the game on the internets.

my steam copy (via GreenManGaming, thanks!) is downloaded and ready to play.

Am I the only person to, after pre-downloading a steam game, always presses 'play' just in case a preload game manages to slip through the release date gap?

Chavelo

/uses power of TF2 trading and Steam Trade Beta
/get Deus Ex: HR and pre-loads

MOTHERFUCKERS, COME AT ME.

AW SHIT, GET HYPE!

/starts working on Skyrim pre-order trade
/is halfway there

Chavelo said:
/uses power of TF2 trading and Steam Trade Beta
/get Deus Ex: HR and pre-loads

MOTHERFUCKERS, COME AT ME.

AW SHIT, GET HYPE!

/starts working on Skyrim pre-order trade
/is halfway there

I would be supremely interested in the details of these trades, ie, number and rarity of said items traded for games.

the one thing that bugs me so far is that when you sock someone in the face it goes into cutscene mode. kind of takes you out of it.... as if you clicked on something and here's an FMV! should have just done it real time without cutting away, then cutting back.

Peterthumpa

FrenchMovieTheme said:
the one thing that bugs me so far is that when you sock someone in the face it goes into cutscene mode. kind of takes you out of it.... as if you clicked on something and here's an FMV! should have just done it real time without cutting away, then cutting back.
Nah, punches never look good in first person mode. I mean, in any game.
The body's movement to do a "cinematic" punch just can't be translated in first person view, and that's why it always looks lackluster when you punch someone in Crysis, for example.

felipepl said:
Nah, punches never look good in first person mode. I mean, in any game.
The body's movement to do a "cinematic" punch just can't be translated in first person view, and that's way it always looks lackluster when you punch someone in Crysis, for example.

yeah i guess that's true. it just makes it look like a canned animation/sequence. but i saw some others in that "leak" video where it is smoother

Stahsky

A passionate embrace, a beautiful memory lingers.
So I completely forgot about this game. Are the reviews in the OP the only ones out? I'm wondering if I should grab this soon.

Teknoman

Snuggler said:
It's certainly not gonna be a graphical stunner, we all know that. But with heaps of AA, a high resolution, and the shadow/texture upgrades, I expect a very sharp looking game that runs without any major drops below 60FPS. My eyes will be pleased.

also, I made this for you guys:

a4c1af7e1e9c65938ad4558ac21dd4a63e427eb5.gif

I cant wait to play this.

So who's going to get up at 12:00AM to unlock the game and play it all morning?

I don't think I could sleep knowing that I could play it, so I guess I'll be up all morning.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
PounchEnvy said:
Ugh so I said I wasn't going to buy this since I splurged on clothes and books recently but I bought it anyway. >.>

You did the right thing.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
flipswitch said:
So who's going to get up at 12:00AM to unlock the game and play it all morning?

If it unlocks at 12AM EST, I'll have plenty of time to play it. If it's a few hours later I might try to crash early and play it the next day. I need a good several hours set a side for this game.

EatChildren said:
You did the right thing.

Yes, if anything he should have passed on the clothes and books since neither of them are necessary when you have a Deus Ex game to play.

Kyon

Banned
besides 1 or 2 trailers and the prostitute punching video i know 0 about this game and its the first game i will go in playing without knowing anything, the wait is killing me

Some thoughts
Navigation can be a bitch sometimes
I wish it was all 3rd person but that's me
Loading takes long
Do not trust auto saves!!!

Other than that it is the best game I have played in 2011 by far (although my money is on Drake for Game of the Year 2011)

Snuggler said:
If it unlocks at 12AM EST, I'll have plenty of time to play it. If it's a few hours later I might try to crash early and play it the next day. I need a good several hours set a side for this game.

Yes, if anything he should have passed on the clothes and books since neither of them are necessary when you have a Deus Ex game to play.

I was under the impression that it unlocks at 12AM? ( sorry I have never pre-purchased before)Didn't realise that it could take longer.

Truant

Sevket-Erhat said:
Some thoughts
Navigation can be a bitch sometimes
I wish it was all 3rd person but that's me
Loading takes long
Do not trust auto saves!!!

Other than that it is the best game I have played in 2011 by far (although my money is on Drake for Game of the Year 2011)

I bet your favorite band is RHCP.

NBtoaster

angular graphics said:
The better SSAO will make a pretty big difference IMO, because every single room has tons of cluttered props => the contact shadows it'll create will compliment the art very nicely.

But that's just my opinion, we'll see.

The console versions both have SSAO, and it looks of already good quality. It seems integral to the game's look.

Could just be me, but I didn't notice any screen space ambient occlusion in the leak.I know I had issues with the brightness of the game where I had to turn up the luminous all the way up.on my nvidia card.Anyone else notice this as well?

Top Bottom