• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Deus Ex: Human Revolution |OT| I never asked for this... It gave me lemon-lime

Gvaz said:
You're not?

How come these guys did then?

http://youtu.be/xHudyaOme0c

Huh, interesting. Mine didn't come in a box like that, and the first page of each book says "contents of these documents are not to be distributed or posted"

EDIT - in fact you can even see it here in the video:

trZ03

Gustav said:
It's not about what reviewers know but what they definitely should write to keep receiving those magnificent pre-release review packages.
Looks like a game, some spoilers, a making of DVD and a throwaway booklet to me. Compared to the shit Bungie do for press this is small time.

StoppedInTracks said:
Dude I know. But 11 years ago, Squaresoft was the epicentre of everything anti-Deus Ex according to Deus Ex fans (me).

And now they publish Deus Ex 2.

Mind boggles.

I know what you mean. It's pretty crazy.

Gustav

Banned
BigJiantRobut said:
baby I think you just have conspiracies on the brain with Deus Ex coming out so soon

You'd wonder what would happen if somebody disclosed something in a pre-release review that was forbidden to talk about by the publisher/pr firm. It's not like they dictate scores (well, has happened but is far from being the norm) but certain things have to be addressed (perfect example the "Black Hand" control system of the godfather games) while others have to be kept secret (Pokemons are notorious for this).

DennisK4 said:
If I were a games press guy I would be offended by something like being handed a fucking guide to how I am supposed to review a damn game.

How dumb do publishers think the reviewers are?
Meh, there pretty useful. I liked the Resident Evil 5 one. It's meant to explain the series and the characters to people who have never played the RE series before.

Gustav said:
You'd wonder what would happen if somebody disclosed something in a pre-release review that was forbidden to talk about by the publisher/pr firm. It's not like they dictate scores (well, has happened but is far from being the norm) but certain things have to be addressed (perfect example the "Black Hand" control system of the godfather games) while others have to be kept secret (Pokemons are notorious for this).

Nothing, at least with Capcom they simply asked I not disclose certain things about the plot relating to a returning character and after a certain Act

subversus said:
you're pretty far from the end.

I say keep playing if you're enjoying it, but if it's just ok for you buy the game straight away.

(._.) said:
imo you should since you're already about half way. will make you appreciate DEHR more .

Hmm... I'm enjoying the game so I think I'll continue with it. If I get lucky by the time I finish it HR will have had a Steam sale.

Manos: The Hans of Fate said:
Meh, there pretty useful. I liked the Resident Evil 5 one. It's meant to explain the series and the characters to people who have never played the RE series before.
Yeah I think they're fine as long as they are intended for the sole purpose of providing useful information to the reviewer. I see it as a direct source for background information and detail about the game that they can use in the review, as opposed to them looking it up for themselves on Wikipedia or something.

Zeliard

Haha I love the start of the RPS review:

John Walker said:
It’s an extraordinary relief. Like that moment when your shoulders finally slide down into the hot bathwater, you physically and mentally relax in the knowledge that you’re back to that place. Remember when first-person games were complex, multifarious, and had a quicksave? Remember Thief, Deus Ex, Bloodlines? It’s that place, that brain-massaging, hair-stroking safe place of excellence that it was getting hard to remember ever really happened.

dark10x said:
I suppose so.

The thing is, from what I've played of the old HR leak, the actual size of the Detroit hub is MUCH MUCH larger than any of those areas in Deus Ex in the sense that there is more to see without hitting a loading screen. You can even enter quite a few buildings, explore the full sewers, and move through the entire hub without running into any loading points. In the original, you hit loading screens fairly regularly. The first game does feature some large maps, of course, but any area with a higher density of content is generally split up.

Yeah. New York City for example in the first is split between Castle Clinton, Battery Park, Hell's Kitchen (where you've got Underworld Bar, Hotel, Sewers) etc.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
DennisK4 said:
If I were a games press guy I would be offended by something like being handed a fucking guide to how I am supposed to review a damn game.

How dumb do publishers think the reviewers are?
I usually feel that in the reviews I have read recently that the journalists seem a bit dumb. They need all the help they can get. I suspect quite a few journalists haven't played Deus Ex 1 and will miss some things.

(._.)

Banned
Obsessed said:
Hmm... I'm enjoying the game so I think I'll continue with it. If I get lucky by the time I finish it HR will have had a Steam sale.
How often do you get to play? You have like 10-15 more hours so you'll prob be able to start DEHR in a week.

EDIT: I don't pick up sarcasm very well on GAF so I'm guessing you're joking :\

Gustav said:

I've honestly only had one intrusive PR experience in my time as a quote-unquote gaming journalist. I won't say which publisher, but it was incredibly annoying and they treated me like garbage, even though it was a game I was honestly interested in. I wrote an article about something they didn't even say I couldn't talk about.

Basically, they got grumpy at me in a few emails, I told them to deal with it because 1. I had never actually signed any NDA and 2. they never told me I couldn't say this stuff anyway. Despite this, I still get stuff from the publisher in question (although generally, different PR people talk to me)

I've had a few other wacky experiences, but that was my only "bu bu bu you weren't supposed to talk about this" one

Gustav

Banned
Manos: The Hans of Fate said:
Nothing, at least with Capcom they simply asked I not disclose certain things about the plot relating to a returning character and after a certain Act

I have not heard anything pertaining to Capcom. But I know of publishers/pr firms that will cut access to previews and early review copies if certain things do/don't get mentioned. Some publishers even insist on certain words in reviews that are not even a buzzword.

BigJiantRobut said:
I've honestly only had one intrusive PR experience in my time as a quote-unquote gaming journalist. I won't say which publisher, but it was incredibly annoying and they treated me like garbage, even though it was a game I was honestly interested in. I wrote an article about something they didn't even say I couldn't talk about.

Basically, they got grumpy at me in a few emails, I told them to deal with it because 1. I had never actually signed any NDA and 2. they never told me I couldn't say this stuff anyway. Despite this, I still get stuff from the publisher in question (although generally, different PR people talk to me)

I've had a few other wacky experiences, but that was my only "bu bu bu you weren't supposed to talk about this" one

Like I said, it's not like they want full control over the review or anything but they will get pissy. I'm not saying it's a full on conspiracy but most publishers are trying to use reviews as a marketing tool to plant certain phrases, ideas whatever.

Gustav said:
I have not heard anything pertaining to Capcom. But I know of publishers/pr firms that will cut access to previews and early review copies if certain things do/don't get mentioned. Some publishers even insist on certain words in reviews that are not even a buzzword.
It wouldn't surprise me. I have to say even as a reviewer I couldn't complain about Capcom's requests. Not wanting things spoiled isn't terribly unreasonable.

The_Darkest_Red said:
Yeah I think they're fine as long as they are intended for the sole purpose of providing useful information to the reviewer. I see it as a direct source for background information and detail about the game that they can use in the review, as opposed to them looking it up for themselves on Wikipedia or something.

That was basically it. It was designed to ensure that you didn't have reviewers mention something like Wesker was Nemesis because they stumbled on a message board. lol.

Gustav said:

I have never had that happen ever

I mean really has this even happened other than Black Hand? One certain publisher always begs (somewhat jokingly) that I include info about the low price/the bonus content in their games. I never do, they don't care.

(._.) said:
How often do you get to play? You have like 10-15 more hours so you'll prob be able to start DEHR in a week.

EDIT: I don't pick up sarcasm very well on GAF so I'm guessing you're joking :\

I dunno how many hours I'll have per week. If it is 10-15 though it shouldnt take any longer than 2 weeks.

Though if I finish Deus Ex I might develop enough willpower to wait for a HR sale.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Hmmmm.

Do I try to knock myself out early, ensuring that I'll have a few hours to play DXHR before work tomorrow, or do I get all hopped up on caffeine and play when it unlocks? Fuck, I'm already dealing with tough choices and I haven't even started the game.

tonight bros

(._.) said:
Does this game unlock at midnight via steam? I know some games do.

The timer on Steam ends at Midnight for me. I hope I can play it then, since I get tomorrow off work and could play all night. So close now.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
INDIGO_CYCLOPS said:
Can't believe I will be playing this in a matter of hours. Could things get any better!?

yes, if they would announce that Vampires Masquerade Bloodlines sequel is made by the same team and Brian writes it.

Gustav

Banned
BigJiantRobut said:
I have never had that happen ever

I mean really has this even happened other than Black Hand? One certain publisher always begs (somewhat jokingly) that I include info about the low price/the bonus content in their games. I never do, they don't care.

Well, I can't tell you about anything I know first or second hand, but rockstar are pretty notorious.

Edit: Also, enough derailing.

Natiko

Banned
Just got the shipping confirmation for this. Sadly my university is kinda shitty about sorting out packages and notifying you so it'll be Friday before I get my copy in all likelyhood.

Marco1 said:
Sorry if it's been asked and I am sure it has but is the game on PC modifiable?
Thanks.

Eventually. I think they said they had not yet decided on mod tools. But, the PC community always finds a way.

Is the hardest difficulty level hard enough where saving my stealth/no kill playthrough, would be beneficial? I can actually get through most everything in the game with it?

If so, amazing.

grendelrt

Gvaz said:
1314036316SmpJUIUWGY_3_1_l.png

They said FXAA High > MLAA but I'd have to disagree. The edges are much softer with MLAA.

I thought the same thing, but they were talking about contrast and the stenciling on the crate as the reason why ("Additionally, the overall level of contrast is reduces with MLAA, making the game look slightly less dynamic. In the above screenshot, it is easy to see how much darker the stenciled text on the crate (behind the chair) is with MLAA than with FXAA."). Hard to tell with small screens, hopefully it will be better once they have the final game and do more research.

I will tell you what though, that tessellation use on characters looks amazing for no performance hit!

Alpha-Bromega said:
there gonna be a demo for this? i can run Mass Effect 1 and New Vegas fine on this lappytop but idk about this one!

According to a dev a demo was planned, but when the press copy leaked it was cancelled(?) :D

Without going into the details, We DID have an actual Demo planned. It was set to be around 45 minutes-1-hour... not 10 hours rofl. [The leak] Sort of sent all those plans into shambles. Personally, I really hated the idea behind the 45 minute demo (Like you guys mentioned, for this style of game, you don't get the whole experience in a short period of time) so when it leaked, for me, it was a bittersweet victory to say the least. It's the same for quick demo stand-up kiosk's at gaming conventions... you really don't get the whole experience from that.

Gvaz

Banned
Can't really blame them. The higher ups must have gone "welp they technically have a demo now anyways, whatever"

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
fuzzyreactor said:
Is there any recognition for the bounus in game stuff. I got the game preloaded but never got any mention of this.
Load up TF2. When it loads up you'll get a notification if you got the items.

Top Bottom