• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Deus Ex: Human Revolution |OT| I never asked for this... It gave me lemon-lime

My embargo is up, so I'm gonna give all y'all some hella impressions and shit later today.

Oh, and write my review, but I love you boys more than my job so <3

Interficium said:
I'm a girl.

//edit: Not really.

Don't worry, I call everyone my boys. It's a gender-neutral boy-calling

ANYWAY, here's a crappy cell phone picture of the press kit I got (I'm assuming I'm allowed to post this, never said anywhere that I couldn't). It's awesome!

jbm2b.jpg

Although that area under the big black bar? Yeah, that was all spoilers. Spoilers I read some of before starting the game :(

TheNiX said:
Review... guide? By guide I hope they mean a quick-start/tutorial for reviewers who suck at games.

It's basically a history of Deus Ex so you don't say anything silly like "a game called Invisible War came out!"

I'm not allowed to post the contents of any of this stuff, just to be clear. Sorry!

DangerStepp

TheNiX said:
Review... guide? By guide I hope they mean a quick-start/tutorial for reviewers who suck at games.
No sir, it's a book of guidelines by which to write reviews for the enthusiast press. Normally peppered with buzzwords (see Godfather's trademark Blackhand move); they are infamous throughout the industry.

Dennis

Banned
DangerStepp said:
No sir, it's a book of guidelines by which to write reviews for the enthusiast press. Normally peppered with buzzwords (see Godfather's trademark Blackhand move); they are infamous throughout the industry.
If I were a games press guy I would be offended by something like being handed a fucking guide to how I am supposed to review a damn game.

How dumb do publishers think the reviewers are?

Interfectum

DennisK4 said:
If I were a games press guy I would be offended by something like being handed a fucking guide to how I am supposed to review a damn game.

They've probably listen to some of the gaming podcasts out there so...

CaLe

DennisK4 said:

You never worked at Giant Bomb have you.

And we know, you're easily offended.

DennisK4 said:

Well, hopefully this is true...

BigJiantRobut said:
It's basically a history of Deus Ex so you don't say anything silly like "a game called Invisible War came out!"
I'm hoping that's all it is.

Asked before, didn't see a response. I have an asus republic of gamers g73 laptop, I can play games like dmc4 and last remnant just fine, should I be good for human rev?

DangerStepp

DennisK4 said:

Indeeed. GFW Radio had a good discussion about it back in the day; very entertaining. Some small-time game sites dare to copy/paste straight from the guide when writing their reviews. Shameless.

@BigJiantRobut: is the soundtrack on a separate disc??? i keep seeing some of the wording make it seem like it's on the DVD disc. (i'd rather rip it myself, then again the info is rarely available online so i have to leave it all as Track 1, Track 2, etc.)

Gustav

Banned
DennisK4 said:

It's not about the reviewers being "dumb", it's about using their reviews as a marketing tool that helps the publisher establish certain buzzwords, game features, etc. on the one hand, while on the other it serves as a guideline as to which parts of the game should not be disclosed.

This is standard practice if reviews are written pre-release. Post release reviews are of course unconditional.

zomaha

From Wot I Think about boss battles:

It sucks that they’re there at all, and it sucks more that they’re all so boring and tedious, lacking even the grace of a classic Nintendo boss fight that at least contains a logical path. But what goes so far beyond just sucking is the betrayal they represent. Here all illusion of choice is gone. All playing styles are abandoned. Playing as someone killing no one, learning that the first fight at least, early on in the game, forces me to kill a man almost put me off the game entirely. Despite only using stuns, EMPs and tranqs on him, I was still treated to a cutscene of a man covered in bullet wounds and blood, gasping his last words as he died. And my clear response was: Fuck you.

I didn’t play for two days.

Pretty lame, but it won't deter me from buying and most likely loving this game.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
zomaha said:

Pretty lame, but it won't deter me from buying and most likely loving this game.
While those do sound like they suck the overraction from the reviewer is absolutely ridiculous.

You know what's really amazing?

That after all these years, after DX fans losing ALL hope, after getting Dragon Age treatment to Baldur's Gate, after all this dumbing down of whole genres, no matter the hardware, after getting Invisible War and be told: DEAL WITH IT, after 11 fucking years, out of the blue, Eidos Montreal and SQUARE fucking ENIX bring us a TRUE Deus Ex sequel.

If you told me 11 years ago that I would have to wait 11 years for Deus Ex 2 and it would be a game from Squaresoft I would... I don't even know what I would do to you.

Deadbeat

Banned
StoppedInTracks said:
after 11 fucking years, out of the blue, Eidos Montreal and SQUARE fucking ENIX bring us a TRUE Deus Ex sequel.
Square Enix were not involved in any development decisions of the game. They let Eidos Montreal do what they wanted to do.

Deadbeat said:
Square Enix were not involved in any development decisions of the game. They let Eidos Montreal do what they wanted to do.

Evidence is showing that leaving them to their own devices is a good thing.

So happy for these guys with all of the glowing reviews.. hopefully the sales will match.

Deadbeat said:

Dude I know. But 11 years ago, Squaresoft was the epicentre of everything anti-Deus Ex according to Deus Ex fans (me).

And now they publish Deus Ex 2.

Mind boggles.

Wallach

RoboPlato said:
While those do sound like they suck the overraction from the reviewer is absolutely ridiculous.

Sounds pretty jarring in contrast to the rest of the game, honestly. What a shame.

RoboPlato said:

I think he was over reacting as well but I felt a similar level of disappointment from the first boss fight. It just isnt fun and feels cheap.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
RoboPlato said:

I agree, I wonder if he had to have somekind of therapy during those "two days". Joking aside I really understand where he is coming from.

subversus said:
well, where you are now?

Hong Kong

zomaha said:

Yeah that is pretty lame. Though I kind of found tranq darts useless in the original as well. The enemy would instantly be aware of your position, and could run and sound an alarm. Totally put me off trying to be a pacifist.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
MNC said:
What do we consider full hubs in Deus Ex 1?

New York + Hong Kong + Paris?
I suppose so.

The thing is, from what I've played of the old HR leak, the actual size of the Detroit hub is MUCH MUCH larger than any of those areas in Deus Ex in the sense that there is more to see without hitting a loading screen. You can even enter quite a few buildings, explore the full sewers, and move through the entire hub without running into any loading points. In the original, you hit loading screens fairly regularly. The first game does feature some large maps, of course, but any area with a higher density of content is generally split up.

Obsessed said:
Yeah that is pretty lame. Though I kind of found tranq darts useless in the original as well. The enemy would instantly be aware of your position, and could run and sound an alarm. Totally put me off trying to be a pacifist.
They're far from useless this time. A headshot will disable any guard, and you have a tranq-dart sniper-rifle! If more in line with the tranq-gun from MGS2 though ammo isn't as plentiful. The "good" thing about the bossfights is that you don't need to waste your precious, precious tranq ammo during those forced fights. Just break out the rocket launchers and shotguns since the outcome will be the same anyway.

Wallach

Does anyone know if the pre-order weapons are going to be made available through any other means? The ones from Amazon do seem pretty neato.

Teknoman

Gustav said:
It's not about the reviewers being "dumb", it's about using their reviews as a marketing tool that helps the publisher establish certain buzzwords, game features, etc. on the one hand, while on the other it serves as a guideline as to which parts of the game should not be disclosed.

This is standard practice if reviews are written pre-release. Post release reviews are of course unconditional.

Honestly, you'd still think reviewers would know what features gamers in general would want to know about/ what not to spoil in a story heavy game.

Gustav

Banned
Teknoman said:
Honestly, you'd still think reviewers would know what features gamers in general would want to know about/ what not to spoil in a story heavy game.

It's not about what reviewers know but what they definitely should write to keep receiving those magnificent pre-release review packages.

Gustav said:
It's not about what reviewers know but what they definitely should write to keep receiving those magnificent pre-release review packages.

baby I think you just have conspiracies on the brain with Deus Ex coming out so soon

blahblah...blah said:
I'm going to fight fire with fire here and be equally pretentious: frankly, I'm pretty fucking smart. I'm going to hazard a guess and say smarter than you :) now, I don't have a CLUE what the sentence from your review, which was quoted here, actually means. Explain...please!
I'd like to know as well. Keep that thesaurus handy!

Can't believe I will be playing this in a matter of hours. Could things get any better!?

Top Bottom