• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Deus Ex: Human Revolution |OT| I never asked for this... It gave me lemon-lime

Gustav

Banned
EatChildren said:
Nope. Cant wait anymore. Implosion imminent.

I think I will just sit here and keep waiting for the game to unlock.

waiting-for-a-picnic2.jpg

Gvaz

Banned
I don't know what to do with myself, I already went to the gym, I already had a late lunch, I don't feel like playing AssCreedBro, I don't feel like starting DX1 cause I'll never finish it before the game comes out, I don't feel like playing TOR right now, I don't feel like reading A Dance with Dragons.. Maybe I'll just play Xenoblade :<

Another good example from DX1. Try looking up the Journal. It's real.

Seasonal Flooding Minimal
APR - London, United Kingdom

An article recently published in the Quarterly Journal of the Royal
Meteorological Society indicates that worldwide flooding from melting ice
caps will be significantly less this year than in previous years due to an
unusually cold winter in the Northern Hemisphere. Dr. Tammy Bright, a
professor of climatology at Oxford University, led the study and noted that
global tides should rise by no more than "one to two meters on average" in
most major cities throughout North America, Europe, Russia, and East Asia.
For comparison the high water mark in New York last year was four meters,
requiring millions of credits in additional spending for a network of
levees and pumps.

"While theories concerning the significant increase in days below freezing
at either pole abound, the practical upshot is that Arctic ice density has
grown substantially when compared to any similar period in the last five
years."

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
Gustav said:
I think I will just sit here and keep waiting for the game to unlock.

waiting-for-a-picnic2.jpg

And after you've heard it's unlocked, you're like this.

_wsb_364x273_bear%2Bwaiting%2Bfor%2Bdinner.jpg

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
Solo said:
I'm holding out until the I SHPILL MY DRINK mod.

What was I spill my drink used in besides deus ex? I remember hearing that sound bite constantly well after I beat Deus Ex.

~Kinggi~

Banned
Man, coming home to all these great reviews. Good news all around. Im sure someone at Eidos and Square are sighing relief right now. Probably earned them an extra 50-100k sales at least. Now to see if the game actually does well. It deserves it. I mean the marketing was perfect (on the internets) and they gave gamers what they wanted. If this bombas than i really dont know what devs can do besides churning out more COD sequels.

grendelrt said:
Jacket is pretty sweet, I dont know if I can pull it off without looking creepy though. Wonder if it will be affordable or horribly overpriced.
exactly. if it's under 250, i can dig it. over that however... to expensive for me.

luxarific

Nork unification denier
If you get the digital augmented edition on Steam will all the extras unlock at midnight PST as well (assuming that's when the game itself unlocks)?

Paches

Read this supports multiple monitor, but probably only useful with 3 or more right? How do you split the screen with 2, or does the second provide inventory or map information?

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
The best text blurb in Deus Ex:

To: GHermann//UNATCO.15431.76513
Cc: ANavarre//UNATCO.9954.1131
Subject: re: skul-gun
I have personally forwarded your request to Appropriations. Upgrading our combat-readiness is an ongoing priority.

Speaking of which, you certainly made the best of a difficult situation yesterday. We applaud your courage. Thank you for living to work another day, Gunther. We need more agents like you.

JM

GHermann (GHermann//UNATCO.15431.76513) wrote:

>Might I sugest agin, a skul-gun for my head.
>Yesterday in Batery Park, some scum we all know
>pushes smack for NSF gets jumpy and draws. I take
>2 .22's, 1 in flesh, 1 in augs, befor I can get out
>that dam asalt gun.
>
>If I could kil just by thought, it would be beter.
>Is it my job to be a human target-practis backstop?
>
>Gunther Hermann

Peterthumpa

I've got the feeling that this will sell really well on PC's and will settle the new master race reality to the remaining developers... shut up, make us more games and take our money.

Yo Gotti

Banned
I wanted to wait until everyone had hands on time with the game to ask this, but I think that most people have enough of an idea of what it's about to answer, so...

What do you guys think about a remake/retelling of the original Deus Ex with a new engine/mechanics + a few additions to make a worthy "sequel" to Human Revolution?

Personally, I think the canon deserves it. I never got around to beating the original, I was too young when I first played it to grasp the depth(even though I loved it), and today it's just too old for me to go back to with all of the modern games coming out, a shame because I'd really like to know the rest of the story. The way I see it, 10 years from now I highly doubt many people will be going back to play the original Deus Ex, they'll probably look to Human Revolution for the definitive Deus Ex experience since it looks better and plays better than the original. Invisible War will also probably get a lot of misdirected attention from the release of HR.

Would you guys be for or against a remake of the original if done by the Eidos team that made Human Revolution?

Peterthumpa

Paches-EJ- said:
Read this supports multiple monitor, but probably only useful with 3 or more right? How do you split the screen with 2, or does the second provide inventory or map information?
It's just Eyefinity.

Paches-EJ- said:

more pc games need to support dual monitors IMO. Imagine Diablo 3 for example, where the second monitor has all kinds of info: a map, list of quests etc.

Zeliard

Yo Gotti said:
I wanted to wait until everyone had hands on time with the game to ask this, but I think that most people have enough of an idea of what it's about to answer, so...

What do you guys think about a remake/retelling of the original Deus Ex with a new engine/mechanics + a few additions to make a worthy "sequel" to Human Revolution?

Personally, I think the canon deserves it. I never got around to beating the original, I was too young when I first played it to grasp the depth(even though I loved it), and today it's just too old for me to go back to with all of the modern games coming out, a shame because I'd really like to know the rest of the story. The way I see it, 10 years from now I highly doubt many people will be going back to play the original Deus Ex, they'll probably look to Human Revolution for the definitive Deus Ex experience since it looks better and plays better than the original. Invisible War will also probably get a lot of misdirected attention from the release of HR.

Would you guys be for or against a remake of the original if done by the Eidos team that made Human Revolution?

I'd prefer to see more games in the universe done right, just building off the Deus Ex gameplay. No need to remake the first. If people don't want to go back and play it that's their loss.

TheExodu5

Banned
I've never played the original Deus Ex (got it modded, but didn't really get into it when I tried playing it a month ago). Am I going to be missing much going into HR, as it's a prequel?

lucius

I ordered the 360 version but looking at lens of truth I prefer the lighting of the PS3 version it is too dark on 360 you are losing detail. But that might just be the default setting and the gamma setting is too low maybe but why even have that as default setting.

Yo Gotti said:

It doesn't feel that dated to me. The shooting is a bit wonky but that's intentional (like Alpha Protocol) since you got to up your accuracy and wait a bit to get focus on the aim.

I wouldn't mind a remake with new graphics I guess and for the consoles to get some love for the game of the forever.

But if they changed the voice acting I would be pissed, stuff was hilarious. Oh and also it didn't have any lame hacking minigames. I'm not a fan of that stuff but apparently they put it into Human Revolution (I guess it was necessary, it's a big part of this gen)

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Yo Gotti said:

I doubt it. I mean, who knows, maybe I'll be dead by then but I can see myself playing Deus Ex in ten years. There was nearly a ten year gap between my first and most recent (last winter) playthroughs of Deus Ex, and I enjoyed it as much as ever. I won't deny that it's dated in many aspects, but if anything it's part of Deus Ex's charm. It just wouldn't be the same without the stiff voice acting and goofy faces. And more importantly, the brilliant design is still there, regardless of how it looks today.

With mods and everything, it should always be capable of running on modern hardware. That's all I need.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
TheExodu5 said:
I've never played the original Deus Ex (got it modded, but didn't really get into it when I tried playing it a month ago). Am I going to be missing much going into HR, as it's a prequel?

According to the developers, no. Plenty of connections to the universe, but more than enough substance to stand alone as its own story, especially since its a prequel. Its not reliant on existing canon.

gdt

I can't wait to try this tomorrow. Hopefully I dig the stealth in this game. I can name 2 games where I very much enjoyed the stealth. Uncharted 2 and Batman AA.

And maybe Splinter Cell Conviction, but that one more because it was mixed with the excellent Mark and Execute mechanic.

TheExodu5

Banned
EatChildren said:
According to the developers, no. Plenty of connections to the universe, but more than enough substance to stand alone as its own story, especially since its a prequel. Its not reliant on existing canon.

Perfect. I won't feel too guilty about playing the original post HR, then.

imoTEP12

TheExodu5 said:

Not really, there is a few things you would catch if you played the first but nothing game breaking.

Edit- Beaten horribly

Zeliard

EC how are the augs balanced out as far as what you've played? Are they still doing it like the first where you're picking between two augs for each body part?

KorrZ

Yo Gotti said:

I think the original game is still perfect as it is. I think any attempt to remake it without making an exact carbon copy would just ruin it's charm. As soon as you updated the voices or anything it wouldn't be the same, so many of the most memorable and hilarious parts of the game come from that voice acting. Besides, for an 11 year old game it holds up incredibly well. I just played through it for the second time over this weekend, my first time being earlier this year after the holiday Steam sale. So it's not like I have any bias from nostalgia.

charsace

Zeliard said:
EC how are the augs balanced out as far as what you've played? Are they still doing it like the first where you're picking between two augs for each body part?
Each body part has its own set of skill trees. The head for example has a few trees.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Zeliard said:

I've only played the preview code. No review code for me, so I'm waiting for it to unlock too :(.

All skills and augs have been bundled into a single tech tree/menu. Earning XP unlocks Praxis Points, and these are used to buy augs and upgrades. Sometimes upgrades cost one point, sometimes more, and many require earlier skills in the tech tree to be unlocked first (eg: you cant buy level 3 hacking without level 1 and 2 first, obviously).

The tech tree seems to be arranged by body part, but there's no canisters or anything, nor anything to prevent you from buying specific upgrades.

EDIT: Beaten, and no, but some aug upgrades do basic shit like improve damage resistence, improve hip fire accuracy, etc.

i-Lo

This game is the one I have been waiting for the longest. Never really thought it would start to be so widely acclaimed by the critics.

The only problem is that being a multi console owner, I don't know which version to go for. I saw that all the console footages so far from them was on PS3. However, recent vids showed that the PS3 version may have more screen tear.

Anyone know anything definitive about the versions?

PS: I am pretty sure that both versions are very good but there would be no regrets buying one or the other if one is a single console owner. However, I have the luxury of choice here hence would definitely appreciate some feedback.

Zeliard

EatChildren said:
I've only played the preview code. No review code for me, so I'm waiting for it to unlock too :(.

All skills and augs have been bundled into a single tech tree/menu. Earning XP unlocks Praxis Points, and these are used to buy augs and upgrades. Sometimes upgrades cost one point, sometimes more, and many require earlier skills in the tech tree to be unlocked first (eg: you cant buy level 3 hacking without level 1 and 2 first, obviously).

The tech tree seems to be arranged by body part, but there's no canisters or anything, nor anything to prevent you from buying specific upgrades.

EDIT: Beaten, and no, but some aug upgrades do basic shit like improve damage resistence, improve hip fire accuracy, etc.

Ah, so basically instead of putting skill points into pistols or rifles or whatever to increase acc and damage, you'd put augs into your arms and that confers those sorts of bonuses?

One of the reviews mentioned you can unlock everything by the end, unless I misread it. Does it not lock stuff out if you go a certain route with upgrades?

charsace

KorrZ said:
The original games Computer, Rifle, Pistol, Lockpicking etc etc skill system isn't in the game.
It isn't in the game like it was in Deus Ex 1, but they cover them in the augs. The head has mutliple trees that deal with hacking, controlling bots and other things. I think damage stuff is on the torso? Can't remember how the trees are placed.

Zeliard said:
Ah, so basically instead of putting skill points into pistols or rifles or whatever to increase acc and damage, you'd put augs into your arms and that confers those sorts of bonuses?

One of the reviews mentioned you can unlock everything by the end, unless I misread it. Does it not lock stuff out if you go a certain route with upgrades?
The game gives you freedom in what trees you choose. No locking out. No moral system either.

What are the opinions of console vs low settings on a laptop?

Its cheaper on the PC and assuming I build a new PC in the future it will be fun to revisit with better graphics. I recently picked up Dungeon Siege III and I'm surprised how good the game looks even on low. I have a GeForce 310M and a Core i3

Fjordson

i-Lo said:
This game is the one I have been waiting for the longest. Never really thought it would start to be so widely acclaimed by the critics.

The only problem is that being a multi console owner, I don't know which version to go for. I saw that all the console footages so far from them was on PS3. However, recent vids showed that the PS3 version may have more screen tear.

Anyone know anything definitive about the versions?

PS: I am pretty sure that both versions are very good but there would be no regrets buying one or the other if one is a single console owner. However, I have the luxury of choice here hence would definitely appreciate some feedback.
Here's a Lens of Truth comparison.

Swifty

Yo Gotti said:

I think they should just forget Invisible War ever existed and make a trilogy of DX sequel games, each being it's own individual universe sequel for each of the three endings in the original Deus Ex.

/so good

Just got 3 of my friends to buy this after them not knowing anything about it and seeing all the praise, I think this will do quite well.

~Kinggi~

Banned
GhostRidah said:
Just got 3 of my friends to buy this after them not knowing anything about it and seeing all the praise, I think this will do quite well.
I hope so. I want this game to sell truckloads. We need more devs like Eidos Montreal

Top Bottom