• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Deus Ex: Human Revolution |OT| I never asked for this... It gave me lemon-lime

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Lostconfused said:
I find it disappointing because that means there are too few things to unlock not that you can unlock everything.

There seemed like plenty in the preview code.

BigTnaples said:
Even if you find/earn every Praxis point you can only unlock 75% of augs.

That is good to hear.

Qwomo

Lostconfused said:
I find it disappointing because that means there are too few things to unlock not that you can unlock everything.
There are so many augs in the game that it's really hard to choose between them.

Zeliard

EatChildren said:
Pretty much. There's no weapon proficiencies at all, so you can just dump an aug point into accuracy and it will work for everything.

Hm, dunno if I like that... :p I liked having to choose between different weapon types.

EatChildren said:
And thats a bit disappointing, that you can unlock everything by the end.

Yeah. One of my favorite aspects of Deus Ex is that it really made you think of your upgrade choices because they could end up having a huge impact on how you progress, both with skills and augs.

Lostconfused said:

That may not necessarily be the case. It could be balanced in HR so that it's the people who really scour the maps and do all the side quests and stuff that end up filling out all their trees. Presumably most people will end up with only a limited amount of upgrade material, so they'll still have to make various choices along the way.

Edit:

BigTnaples said:
Even if you find/earn every Praxis point you can only unlock 75% of augs.

Well nevermind then :p

EatChildren said:
According to the developers, no. Plenty of connections to the universe, but more than enough substance to stand alone as its own story, especially since its a prequel. Its not reliant on existing canon.
What about the inverse? Will playing HR first spoil the original?

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
I managed to get a copy of the game today! A day early apparently? I'm so excited. This is one of those games I know next to nothing about, but I know I'll love. I've been intentionally keeping myself in the dark, and I've never played and of the sequels. Gonna jump in now. :)

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
Exclamation-One said:
What about the inverse? Will playing HR first spoil the original?

Yes, actually. Some major twists from DX1 were spoiled just in the preview code alone. Playing the original after HR will definitely spoil some major plot points.

wwm0nkey

It seems I will not have enough cash to buy this, would anyone be interested in trading a copy of this for Hunted: The Demons Forge?

Zeliard

BigTnaples said:
Yes, actually. Some major twists from DX1 were spoiled just in the preview code alone. Playing the original after HR will definitely spoil some major plot points.

Haha really? Can you spoiler an example?

Qwomo said:
There are so many augs in the game that it's really hard to choose between them.
EatChildren said:
There seemed like plenty in the preview code.
Yes, I know what to expect in terms of augments. Although personally I am having a hard time picking what to upgrade because in the beginning none of them are really necessary. At least in the parts in the leak you could probably get by without any augs at all.

omg.kittens said:
I've been intentionally keeping myself in the dark, and I've never played and of the sequels. Gonna jump in now. :)
Same here really.

I am an absolute noob when it comes to Deus Ex. I know the first game was revered, but I dont know why. I am excited to jump into this one.

Anything I should know about the series (story/gameplay) before taking the plunge?

phillax

Banned
omg.kittens said:
I managed to get a copy of the game today! A day early apparently? I'm so excited. This is one of those games I know next to nothing about, but I know I'll love. I've been intentionally keeping myself in the dark, and I've never played and of the sequels. Gonna jump in now. :)
Where? Come on spill the details.

BigTnaples

Zeliard said:
Haha really? Can you spoiler an example?

No problem, major DX1 spoilers below.
"The entire twist of UNATCO and Manderly turning on you 1/3 through DX1 is spoiled by a series of hard to miss emails very early on in the preview build

and I can only assume that the connections between the games would be stronger by the end.

Zeliard

BigTnaples said:
"The entire twist of UNATCO and Manderly turning on you 1/3 through DX1 is spoiled by a series of hard to miss emails very early on in the preview build

and I can only assume that the connections between the games would be stronger by the end.

Aw. Bit unfortunate for those jumping in who haven't played the first, but I guess there's nothing that can be done about it.
Course that twist always has been predictable to some degree. :p

I'm curious how they end up foreshadowing it but I guess I'll find out myself soon enough. :)

BigTnaples said:

Personally I always figured that was going to happen pretty early on when playing Deus Ex.

Man, the next 5 hours are going to be murder. I should try and get some sleep. I actually built my PC for the express purpose of DX (other games too), but DX HR really pushed me to build one.

Unity2012

Official Strategy Guide - Hard Cover:

cover_216.jpg

The collector’s edition official strategy guide for the upcoming multiplatform title, Deus Ex: Human Revolution. In addition to having all of the contents from the standard edition, the 368-page book from Future Press also includes a special high quality gold foil cover featuring Adam Jensen. Also included is an extra chapter containing artwork (featuring the various characters and locations in the role-playing game) as well as an interview piece with the developers at Eidos Montreal

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
I had zero interest in Deus Ex. NONE. But now everyone around the office is playing it (I work for a games publication). It's crazy. A couple guys playing it for the guide, another playing the PC version, another guy capturing misc video footage, one guy playing it "just because".... Deus Ex is EVERYWHERE.

Now I'm hovering over the "buy" button in Steam... shiiiit.

I could either try to finagle a copy through work, or at least wait a couple months for the winter sale when it will likely be ~$30... we'll see how long my resolve holds out. If I make it through tonight, I should be good until Xmas sale.

Unity2012 said:
Official Strategy Guide - Hard Cover:

cover_216.jpg

The collector’s edition official strategy guide for the upcoming multiplatform title, Deus Ex: Human Revolution. In addition to having all of the contents from the standard edition, the 368-page book from Future Press also includes a special high quality gold foil cover featuring Adam Jensen. Also included is an extra chapter containing artwork (featuring the various characters and locations in the role-playing game) as well as an interview piece with the developers at Eidos Montreal

Y'know, I love the art direction for this game - except this shit. I just think he's made out of doritos

Teknoman

wwm0nkey said:
Just how bad was Hunted? I got it for free and never bothered installing it.

Its an average hack and slash game that plays sorta like Gears with swords/bows. Sounds like a good concept, but it fell flat in a few areas, and seemed like an ok rental for some co-op fun.

BigJiantRobut said:
Y'know, I love the art direction for this game - except this shit. I just think he's made out of doritos

Reminded me of those old polygon graphics from the Virtua Fighter 1 days.

Darkkn

Soo excited to play this mofo after great reviews! I was a bit worried before today.
It's such a shame that in this day and age of digital distribution i have to wait until Friday for game to unlock :/ wtf Squeenix, stop being dumb!?

Jtrizzy

GDJustin said:
I had zero interest in Deus Ex. NONE. But now everyone around the office is playing it (I work for a games publication). It's crazy. A couple guys playing it for the guide, another playing the PC version, another guy capturing misc video footage, one guy playing it "just because".... Deus Ex is EVERYWHERE.

Now I'm hovering over the "buy" button in Steam... shiiiit.

I could either try to finagle a copy through work, or at least wait a couple months for the winter sale when it will likely be ~$30... we'll see how long my resolve holds out. If I make it through tonight, I should be good until Xmas sale.
Its only $34 right now if you use the discount code at greenman gaming.

Blizzard

Banned
Pixel Pete said:
That, or a similar version of that trailer, basically made me decide that I wanted to get the game to reward the people who created the trailer, even if the game ended up not being great. I preordered it a month or two ago even without playing the leak. I'm glad it sounds like the game turned out good after all.

It's not the end of the world, but you can see it from here. :)

Blizzard said:
That, or a similar version of that trailer, basically made me decide that I wanted to get the game to reward the people who created the trailer, even if the game ended up not being great. I preordered it a month or two ago even without playing the leak. I'm glad it sounds like the game turned out good after all.

It's not the end of the world, but you can see it from here. :)

I bought AC1 based off a trailer they cut with an Unkle song. At the very least it sealed the deal. It goes a long way.

And that line is a good one.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Got my shipping confirmation and I have tomorrow afternoon off. I pretty much am just working until the mail arrives with my Augmented Edition. So pumped. I haven't been this excited for a game in a long time and it'll be my first Deus Ex.

Hawk269

I know it may sound against everything that is holy about pc gaming.....

But is the PC version 360 controller compatible? Does it natively support it such as correct icons appearing on the screen?

Qwomo

Hawk269 said:

But is the PC version 360 controller compatible? Does it natively support it such as correct icons appearing on the screen?
Yes and yes. The instant you plug it in the pad prompts pop up.

Started my preload this morning before I left for work. I'm just posting that exciting information because it's easier than subscribing manually to the thread.

BigTnaples

Hawk269 said:

Yes, I actually preferred playing the Preview build with my 360 gamepad. Rare.

Top Bottom