• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Deus Ex: Human Revolution |OT| I never asked for this... It gave me lemon-lime

Belfast

Zel3 said:
omg he knew i went into the ladies bathroom haha

What do you guys think of the soundtrack so far? In my opinion its really good, best game soundtrack I've heard all year.

Love it. I totally dig soundtracks like this one. They've used similar music in the original game, Anachronox, System Shock 2, and the Mass Effect series just to name a few off the top of my head. Probably some of my favorite music of all time. It just feels so damn future-y.

Game runs smoothly for me, high setting with some things turned off (that was my default)

1 GB 460
i7-930 with no overclocking
4 GB ram

No crashes so far, played for 2 hours. Watching starcraft now.

AwesomeSauce

MagsMoonshine
Running at 1080p ~60fps some drops to 49-55

Phenom II x6 @ 3.5ghz
GTX 260 core 216

FXAA High
16x AF
Normal Shadows
SSAO normal <--- i think it's borked as i get a massive hit when on high, but the effect is barely indistinguishable from normal. I might just turn it off as the effect isn't worth the hit. Seems like the SSAO on consoles has a better result :/
DOF normal

Also Fraps is telling me 60fps, but i feel like the movement is slightly janky. I don't think i really noticed that when i played the preview build. Might be a refresh rate bug with my dual monitors or something.

Kyon

Banned
No quick save? As in you can only save when you are done with the game at that moment and it takes you to the menu?

thelatestmodel

Junior, please.
Belfast said:
Love it. I totally dig soundtracks like this one. They've used similar music in the original game, Anachronox, System Shock 2, and the Mass Effect series just to name a few off the top of my head. Probably some of my favorite music of all time. It just feels so damn future-y.

Completely agree. I love futuristic soundtracks and Michael McCann has totally nailed it. Huge, epic soundscapes, deep bass, little hints of techno pads and synths here and there, it's just wonderful.

It almost reminds me of the first game's soundtrack mixed with some Tron Evolution and Mass Effect. Really transports you into the future.

Kyon said:
No quick save? As in you can only save when you are done with the game at that moment and it takes you to the menu?

I'm sure it's the same as the preview build where you go into the menu and save from there.

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
Zel3 said:
i thought f5 was quick save :X

works for me

Yup. F5 is quick saving for me.

Then again, I've been surprised in the past how few people realize that's an almost universal truth in games.

EDIT: Guess I'll add some thoughts, as I just got past a part you see in a lot of the press previews.

I'm about two hours in.

-LOVE the artstyle, but it DESPERATELY needs better AA
-There's no denying that the mouse controls are "off." They're not terrible; but they're wrong.
-Graphics leave much to be desired in some areas
-MUCH better production values than Alpha Protocol, but not near something like ME2

-LOVE the characters already
-Music is SOOOO good
-Gameplay is a blast, the guns are very solid. Best "RPG shooter" I've played yet, competes with games like FEAR 3 or Gears.
-Story is already great
-Again, I LOVE the art style
-This game just ooooozes "cool" and "badass."
-Stealth is VERY good. Not quite MGS or Chaos Theory, but MUCH better than SC Conviction
-Very refreshing in a world of CoD, BF3, Halo, and a bunch of clones
-You can tell the studio had the talent to reach for the moon, but are shooting for the stars... I won't fault them for that.

Overall, there are some things I could be nitpicky about, but overall, GREAT stuff. Going to put another hour in before bed. Can't wait to sink my teeth into this one.

Robot Pants

Ok I nailed down my problem. Apparently its the FXAA. I can't go anything beyond Edge FXAA or it flips out. I can max out everything else though and run it about 100fps.
Which is lame though because the screen tearing is absurd, and turning on the Vsync makes the game so hard to look at....*sigh*

Kyon

Banned
Thanks guys :) I was scared it was gonna be like the horrid Zelda Majora's Mask type saving (well it wasn't horrid, just inconvenient :(

Skel1ingt0n said:

Then again, I've been surprised in the past how few people realize that's an almost universal truth in games.

Theres the odd game that puts it as F6. That boils my piss. Theres an old game i played which has F5 as quicksave and F6 as quickload. I remember quicksaving at a point of no return instead of quickloading.

Zel3

Skel1ingt0n said:

I always assume f5 quick saves in games. 99 percent of the time it's worked.

Social

Micerider said:
Any feedback on Gamepad play on PC?

I have all intents to start with the 360 pad, with the PC hooked up on TV.

ggrrr, 26/08/11 is not here yet (No, VPN will not pass, I can wait still).

It worked great in the preview build. I played it on my plasma tv from a comfy couch with a 360 controller, was really good.

wilflare said:
anyone bought from GMG and accessed the bonus content for Augmented?

I didn't buy from GMG. But still this should apply to you as well. To access bonus content go on Tools (under the View tab in Steam) and click install. Under that giant list you should see Deus Ex HR Augmented Bonus Content.

You click install on that and it will download the bonus content for you.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
I'm enjoying it so far but I'm not liking all the depth removing design decisions here.

- No lockpicks and no multitools removes 2 completely separate traversal choices through the levels, compressing it all into hacking was a bad move.
- Regenerating health removes another aspect of resource management from the game.

Also the load times on the PC are absolutely fucking ridiculous.

Truant

Load times should get fixed. The Witcher went from 4 minute load-times to 10 second load times over the course of a few patches.

From the Steam/Eidos forums:

72rja.jpg

People that previously owned an ATI/AMD card but now have nvidia are experiencing crashes due to some old Ati dlls still in their system.

How to fix the ati dll_unload issue:
32-bit windows:
find atidlxx.dll in C:\Windows\system32 and move it to your recycle bin
64-bit windows:
find atidlxy.dll in C:\Windows\SysWOW64 and move it to your recycle bin

Dizzy-4U

Played for 2 hours. No issues for me fortunately. AA needs improvement because all of the options are ass. Other than that the game is amazing.

wilflare

Discotheque said:
I didn't buy from GMG. But still this should apply to you as well. To access bonus content go on Tools (under the View tab in Steam) and click install. Under that giant list you should see Deus Ex HR Augmented Bonus Content.

You click install on that and it will download the bonus content for you.

thank you so much :D
hope this part isn't locked :X

overcast

So, I hate to break up the release party but I have a question. Can a person who never played the first two, pick up this game and understand what the hell is going on? I know the OP says I can go ahead and do it, but what do the rest of you think?

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
overcast said:
So, I hate to break up the release party but I have a question. Can a person who never played the first two, pick up this game and understand what the hell is going on? I know the OP says I can go ahead and do it, but what do the rest of you think?
Thousands of console gamers will likely be doing the same thing today

froliq

overcast said:
It's a prequel. Go ahead and play, it should be fine.

iavi

overcast said:

Definitely. It's a prequel, so you're all clear in terms of the narrative.

Anyone else getting weird stuttering when turning with VSYNC and/or Triple Buffering on?

Only in the menus, which is weird. The game/cutscenes run like butter. I have no idea what's going on there.

overcast

zoner said:
Thousands of console gamers will likely be doing the same thing today
That doesn't help so much. I may just wait for you guys to go through it to determine it. I want to get around to the first 2, I just never do.

Edit: Nm you guys are saying it's fine, I'll try getting it soon.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
AwesomeSauce said:
Yup.

I had fraps saying 60fps, but it did not feel like it at all.

nooo.... please god not this :( anything but this. I'm having this in darksiders atm and it's giving me ulcers.

loganclaws

Plane Escape Torment
Even on an SSD the loading is long, something like 20 seconds... I hope they improve it with a patch or something. 20 seconds is unacceptable.

Top Bottom