• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Deus Ex: Human Revolution |OT| I never asked for this... It gave me lemon-lime

MNC

EatChildren said:
I was hoping the skybox would be improved from the preview code. Its probably the ugliest skybox I've seen in a long, long time. Just one horrible low res smear of brown and black. Gross!

I dont know why I'm complaining though. Nit picking as always. Game is awesome is so amazing. I dont even care that I'm essentially playing through the preview code at the moment.
True Deus Ex, then. I remember I was in hong kong in 1, thought it was night, and I looked up to see it was reasonably light and cloudy :p The lighting does not correspond with the skybox at all.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
EatChildren said:
I dont know why I'm complaining though. Nit picking as always. Game is awesome is so amazing. I dont even care that I'm essentially playing through the preview code at the moment.

Would be quite interesting to see comparison shots between the leak and retail.

Freki

does anybody have any idea how the ""game is currently unavailable" problem can be fixed?

tried verifying cache - deleting *.ncf files - deleting *.blob

it seems strange to me that there is no exe in the deus ex folder...

Solo

I think DX titles are destined so be outdated visually when they release. This would be hot shit in 2007, but in 2011, its kind of ho-hum. The art looks pretty nice though.

I've starting playing this on OnLive. I'm not that impressed by the graphics at all. I mean it doesn't look terrible. However, OnLive seems to have settings locked at medium. Also, I have an issue with some slight mouse lag, but it's not game breaking. On the otherhand, the gameplay and story are awesome!

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Anyone having issues with Amazon and the Augmented Edition (PC)? The shipment was delayed for some reason and it is listed as "shipping soon". I want to cancel it and pick it up locally, but it simply presents an error when attempting to do so. Anyone else running into this?

Volcynika

dark10x said:
Anyone having issues with Amazon and the Augmented Edition (PC)? The shipment was delayed for some reason and it is listed as "shipping soon". I want to cancel it and pick it up locally, but it simply presents an error when attempting to do so. Anyone else running into this?

Didn't try to cancel it, but yeah they delayed mine as well. I ordered it back in May! :(

Gattsu25

Banned
thehillissilent said:
I've starting playing this on OnLive. I'm not that impressed by the graphics at all. I mean it doesn't look terrible. However, OnLive seems to have settings locked at medium. Also, I have an issue with some slight mouse lag, but it's not game breaking. On the otherhand, the gameplay and story are awesome!
I've found that OnLive works better with controller inputs, mainly because we are more used to input lag on controllers than with M&KB.

Shame about the settings locked on Medium. I've seen that with a few other OnLive games and it is self-defeating toward the advancement of the service, in my eyes.

Zenith

Banned
I think the graphics are amazing. You look at id's stuff, with all the bland and uninteresting models and environments despite the technical prowess and then you look at HR which has managed to do so much to make it a believeable world despite the engine's limitations.

Solo

Zenith said:
I think the graphics are amazing. You look at id's stuff, with all the bland and uninteresting models and environments despite the technical prowess and then you look at HR which has managed to do so much to make it a believeable world despite the engine's limitations.

6 of one, half dozen of another. Ideally you'd have both.

Also, Rage looks great from both perspectives.

duckroll

Zenith said:

I think when most people talk about the graphics being outdated, they're talking about the technical aspects of it. The resolution of textures, the general quality of models and the amount of detail, etc. It's certainly a very box-y looking game, with a very clean look with no a lot of detail.

The art direction and designs on the other hand, are very, very good. It's a really attractive looking game, and the character designs are probably some of the best I've seen in western RPGs, in terms of looking distinct and cool, instead of boring and ugly.

-Mikey-

After playing through the first "level", I feel like my walking speed is drastically slower than when I started. There isn't a weight limit for inventory is there?

Also, I thought this was a mission / level based game. Now, I have 4 quests and can walk around Detroit at my leisure.

I'm in heaven.

-Mikey- said:
After playing through the first "level", I feel like my walking speed is drastically slower than when I started. There isn't a weight limit for inventory is there?
You didn't happen to press the toggle run/walk button (Caps Lock by default) did you.

AwesomeSauce said:
Am I trippin' or does Jensen walk faster diagonal than walking straight?
I get that sense too. It feels like I'm in sprint moving diagonally.

Moaradin

The first "level" took me 2 hours to complete. Loving how much freedom and choices you have. I can already tell I'm going to spend a lot of time on this game.

-Mikey-

Rickenslacker said:
You didn't happen to press the toggle run/walk button (Caps Lock by default) did you.
XD

Anyone getting weird artifacts on characters?

I have everything maxed with DX11 enabled.

Truant

I rushed through the leak, so I can't wait to take my time and actually read all the terminals, newspapers, and the dialogue.

-Mikey- said:
XD

Anyone getting weird artifacts on characters?

I have everything maxed with DX11 enabled.

Try to disable tessellation, it helped someone else.

edit: And maybe if it does help, try updating your drivers before enabling it again?

Gattsu25 said:
I've found that OnLive works better with controller inputs, mainly because we are more used to input lag on controllers than with M&KB.

Shame about the settings locked on Medium. I've seen that with a few other OnLive games and it is self-defeating toward the advancement of the service, in my eyes.

I made an educated guess that it was on medium due to seeing previous videos from both console and pc versions. I couldn't tell for sure since they don't display those graphics settings in the menu from what I've seen. The only one you can access is FOV. From my experience, the only games on OnLive that you can change lot of graphical settings baring resolution is the games in the Playpack.

I assume that the setting are locked at medium due to demand and not wanting to overload their servers. They seem to tweak their games from time to time though.

The controller does mask the lag much better than mouse and keyboard. However, I love using mouse\keyboard for these types of games. I'm just glad that the lag wasn't game breaking, but I hope they do improve it.

dark10x said:

Mine is regular edition (PC) and it is delayed. I'm tempted to get it locally but $20 credit is too good to pass on.

hamchan

Ahahaha got the worst possible outcome for the first mission. Was tempted to load the last save but i'm determined to play the game without turning back any of the outcomes or decisions made.

Game is awesome.

I'm conflicted between going stealth and going rambo. I like shooting dudes with guns but the stealth system reminds me of Metal Gear, and I love the stealth in those games.

Plasma

Banned
My copy just shipped which means it will probably arrive tomorrow, but I'm still going to have to wait for it to unlock on Steam ):

I'm really going to take my time with the game. I want to read all the newpapers, and stuff that is laying around. I can't wait to I start sneaking around and hacking workstations and stealing people's stuff. It's going to take my forever to finish this game.

Robot Pants

Anyone catch
the spam email on Josie Thorpe's computer about the guy from the Nigerian Transhuman Organization trying to unload 47 million credits? I lol'd

edit: wow...its in Zenith's video also. That was quick.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
duckroll said:
I think when most people talk about the graphics being outdated, they're talking about the technical aspects of it. The resolution of textures, the general quality of models and the amount of detail, etc. It's certainly a very box-y looking game, with a very clean look with no a lot of detail.

The art direction and designs on the other hand, are very, very good. It's a really attractive looking game, and the character designs are probably some of the best I've seen in western RPGs, in terms of looking distinct and cool, instead of boring and ugly.
I don't know, there is a LOT of fine detail scattered about in this game. Take a look at any office, for instance, and you'll see gobs of items strewn about. It goes for a very clean look, but there is still a lot of geometric detail in there.

jediyoshi

Between this and going back through Vampire a while ago, it makes me sad at how boring it is to watch dialogue scenes in Mass Effect. A little variation in idle animations goes a long way.

duckroll

dark10x said:
I don't know, there is a LOT of fine detail scattered about in this game. Take a look at any office, for instance, and you'll see gobs of items strewn about. It goes for a very clean look, but there is still a lot of geometric detail in there.

I'm not talking about environmental detail, but the detail on the actual items, and the textures and models of the individual items themselves.

The Stealth Fox

Enjoying this a ton. Only thing right now is the loading times, and the fact that not every object is interactable. I'm pretty sure that was true for DX1 though, although it feels like there was more interactable stuff. But these are nitpicks, I haven't even gotten to the first hub yet! I'm sure you forget about not being able to smash coffee cups since all the real fun stuff is interactable anyways.

So I guess the real issue here is the loading times. How were the loading times in the leak?

MasterShotgun

brazen editing lynx
Onlive may not be the most optimal way to play games, but it's better than not playing this at all. There a deal where if you pre-order Arkham City, you can get one free game. So I basically got Deus Ex:HR and Arkham City together for $50. Not too bad considering the downsides.

AEREC

Hows performance for everyone? I thought I woudl be abel to max everything out on my system:

i7 @ 2.93GHz
8GB RAM
GTX 460 1GB

Shadows on Soft and SSAO on High drops my FPS into the 30's but with those set to normal I get what feels like 50+ fps.

I got to play an hour. I decided it was better to not be too tired for work and driving. I have to say it seems to be running faster for me at 1080p then I expected. Though I did switch to normal SASO and a few other things after the loading froze the first time I tried loading a new game. I am tempeted to run it at 720p but I'm fine with lower FPS for higher quality since it doesn't impact gameplay.

That said man work is going to be a bitch to get through. LOL

Ken

After seeing the neck snap melee kill animation a few times where Jensen uses his spinning robotic arm to, well, spin and snap a guy's head, I keep thinking his hand would make a great cake mixer.

b61d1d5a.jpg

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Ken said:
After seeing the neck snap melee kill animation a few times where Jensen uses his spinning robotic arm to, well, spin and snap a guy's head, I keep thinking his hand would make a great cake mixer.

b61d1d5a.jpg

I never asked for whisk.

Top Bottom