• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Deus Ex: Human Revolution |OT| I never asked for this... It gave me lemon-lime

Peff

Region-lock is fucking bullshit :-/

I wouldn't mind if the PC Augmented Edition were sold here, but alas it's console only. Meh.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
I have, admittedly, only played a couple of levels from Deux Ex 1, but even with that relatively small amount of exposure, I have to wonder how a team would be able to communicate that feeling of ' freedom' in a modern, big-budget game. We'll see, I guess.

Nishastra said:
o87CF.png
Thank you, thank you, thank you! You're my new hero.

This is the first game for my second half 2011 bank account melting madness. The floodgates of great games start with this one.

elfinke

Seriously stunning OT, one of the best I've passed eyes across.

Have had this on pre-order for awhile, despite my PC being absolutely barely minimum required to play it.

:(

oneils

Fantastic OP.

A few questions: is Megan Reed Jensen's ex-girlfriend or late girlfriend? Is she referred to as an ex-girlfriend because we do not want to spoil her death? Or was she really an ex before she died?

Zeal

Banned
I would so wear some of the clothes from this game. Main characters jacket is fire. Get on that shit, Square.

dominuece

I had to preorder this game. Everything that you guys are saying regarding the leaked version has me sold. Although, my jaded, gamer-brain cannot accept that this will be the total package. Fucking awesome OP btw!

JB1981

Never played this series before and I'm very intrigued by what I see. A question: do these games have outlandish and incomprehensible plots with shitty characters and bad dialog or is the narrative actually worth a damn?

ctrayne

oneils said:
A few questions: is Megan Reed Jensen's ex-girlfriend or late girlfriend? Is she referred to as an ex-girlfriend because we do not want to spoil her death? Or was she really an ex before she died?
Ex-girlfriend as in "we're not dating anymore."

Grisby

Zeal said:
I would so wear some of the clothes from this game. Main characters jacket is fire. Get on that shit, Square.

Damn straight. I hope I get at least 25% jacket wearing time in game.

x-Lundz-x

oneils said:
Fantastic OP.

Almost positive she is his ex girlfriend at the start of the game, but they maintain a good relationship etc...and of course still in love with each other.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
JB1981 said:
Never played this series before and I'm very intrigued by what I see. A question: do these games have outlandish and incomprehensible plots with shitty characters and bad dialog or is the narrative actually worth a damn?

They're basically every single conspiracy known to man put into a cyberpunk universe, but it's not incomprehensible (unless you're a moron), and the characters are awesome.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
From playing the leak this is pretty fantastic. Great stuff everywhere and the shooting is actually good. Sneaking too. Sneaking is incredibly fun.

I just hope there's a moment tributing Gunther and his lemon-lime and russians SPEELING their DREENKS. Then it will be a perfect prequel.

Edit: Gotta give some credit to the fantastic OP as well. Good job!
And some speculation. POTENTIAL SPOILERS for both Deus Ex and Human Revolution:

Who here thinks JC and Paul are clones of Jensen?

oneils

x-Lundz-x said:
Almost positive she is his ex girlfriend at the start of the game, but they maintain a good relationship etc...and of course still in love with each other.

That was the confusing part. The trailer led me to believe they were still together. Thanks.

Anyway, I can't wait. This is the first physical copy of a PC game that I have purchased since Dragon Age: Origins launched. The art book and OST are what clinched it.

dreamfall

This OT is really, really incredible! I wish the Play-Arts figure was in an American special edition- maybe I'll import. It is out in a mere couple of days!

Cptkrush

dreamfall said:
This OT is really, really incredible! I wish the Play-Arts figure was in an American special edition- maybe I'll import. It is out in a mere couple of days!
I would be careful with that, supposedly the retail copies are region locked.

Wallach

EatChildren said:
As I said in the leak discussion, I'm an extremely cynical gamer with a strong attachment to old school WRPGs, especially the likes of Deus Ex and Vampire: Bloodlines. My money would have been on this being a trainwreck, simply on the principle that this generation has left me bitter, with low expectations for everything.

Instead, the leak has me convinced this will be one of the best WRPGs made since those two aforementioned games, a wholey faithful Deus Ex game, and a steel capped boot to the face of the dumbed down hand holding garbage that masquarades as 'role playing' these days.

Its the Deus Ex game we've all been waiting for. Its here.

I hope you're right. I'm not a die hard fan of Deus Ex. That game had a shit ton of gameplay issues that hurt it pretty badly in my opinion. If they capture that same world feel and don't fall into the same pit the original did it will probably be one of the best games of the generation easily.

JB1981 said:

It's not like the Metal Gear Solid games, it takes itself pretty seriously and sets out to create a plausible, realistic future.

slipknot2009

Neo Member
JB1981 said:

No,no.. it's actually a plausable and well thought out future. If you look at the sarif site, you'll see the backstory, where it's "pure" humans who are protesting the corporations that create augmentations that create "impure" humans. This is just a subplot but that alone really sets the tone of the univers.

Easy_D said:
Edit: Gotta give some credit to the fantastic OP as well. Good job!
And some speculation. POTENTIAL SPOILERS for both Deus Ex and Human Revolution:

Who here thinks JC and Paul are clones of Jensen?

Everybody, bro. It seems reasonably obvious actually.

Maybe not a literal clone, but there's definitely some of his genetic material going into the Dentons because Jensen has the same compatibility with augs that they did, which is something unique to him.

I am incredibly excited for this game. I played Deus Ex after a loooong absence from gaming and it became my obsession and my favorite game of all time. I've played it probably 60-70 times. I was disappointed with Invisible War though I don't hate it like many do, but it did make me sad that Eidos seemed to give up on the franchise because of IW's lackluster reception. I was thrilled when I found out that Human Revolution was planned but still hesitant to be very excited until I saw what direction the devs were taking it. I am now happy to say I am ecstatic and am counting the days until I can play this. One more week...just one more week.

JB1981

MrCompletely said:
It's not like the Metal Gear Solid games, it takes itself pretty seriously and sets out to create a plausible, realistic future.
Awesome - I am in

@ slipknot - thanks for the link I will check it out

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
Amazing OT. I can't wait for this game to come out. It's definitely one of my most anticipated game of this year. I really want to platinum this.

x-Lundz-x

oneils said:
That was the confusing part. The trailer led me to believe they were still together. Thanks.

Anyway, I can't wait. This is the first physical copy of a PC game that I have purchased since Dragon Age: Origins launched. The art book and OST are what clinched it.

No Problem :)

Speaking of the soundtrack does anyone know if this is going to be sold anywhere? Don't see it on amazon.

somedevil

Game looks very interesting. First time playing the series. Though I do have a question how does the game play with the keyboard? Should I buy a controller for the pc version?

somedevil said:
Game looks very interesting. First time playing the series. Though I do have a question how does the game play with the keyboard? Should I buy a controller for the pc version?

It runs great with K&M. Don't use a gamepad unless you hate using K&M for some reason.

somedevil said:
Very well. You can bind each skill to a key which lets you switch between augs more fluently and effectively, that reason along is worth going M/KB for, but then you have the added advantage of a mouse as well!

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Wallach said:
I hope you're right. I'm not a die hard fan of Deus Ex. That game had a shit ton of gameplay issues that hurt it pretty badly in my opinion. If they capture that same world feel and don't fall into the same pit the original did it will probably be one of the best games of the generation easily.

Human Revolution differs from Deus Ex by having AAA production values. Deus Ex, as amazing as it is, excels most at its core concept and open level design. This is where it developed its legacy, and rightly so. But, as good as this was, Deus Ex still has the trademark ambitious WRPG rough corners. Its a bit clumsy to play and control at times, and the combat leaves quite a bit to be desired.

Human Revolution, on the other hand, feels tight to play. Its not quite all there in terms of say a pure third shooter game, as expected, but its far closer than pretty much every other hybrid game. The game doesn't feel loose or unwieldy, but responsive, and from the preview build you never have to wrestle with the controls or idiosyncricies of the design whenever you want to do something. Stealth in particular deserves huge props. Its quite simple, but very effective and surprisingly involved, and doesn't suffer from the usual rough design that non-pure stealth games often do.

somedevil said:

The entire UI has been retooled specifically for mouse and keyboard. Player control works like any other first/third person shooter. The number and F keys are used to hotkey weapons, items and skills. Computer terminals and number pads make full use of the mouse and keyboard, controlling exactly as they would if you were using your own computer as the interface.

Alternatively, full controller support is present, so either option is good.

Sanic

Some of the opinions being thrown around in this thread are really making me more interested in this. One of the best games of the generation? That's some high praise.

Top Bottom