• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Deus Ex: Human Revolution |OT| I never asked for this... It gave me lemon-lime

J-A-G

Banned
Just pre-ordered the Augmented edition from Gamestop today for the 360. Would've preferred the PS3 version, but my brother is gonna be taking the PS3 back to his place, so all I've got left is the 360.

I played the original Deus Ex back in about 2003 or so, but even then, it blew my impressionable, 14 year-old mind. Then I played Invisible War for the Xbox in 2005, and it was a major letdown. When I first saw the teaser in 2007, I kinda let it drift, thinking the series would sink into further mediocrity. I'm glad to see its turned out to be every bit as great a successor to Deus Ex as Invisible War should have been.

One more thing, but it seems like video game sequels/prequels that are the third iteration of that franchise are generally much, much better then their predecessors. Glad to see that Human Revolution continues the trend

As a sidenote, has anyone else been listening to the song from the TV spots? Such a damn hypnotic song

sfried

I'm still wondering if this game will retain the "charm" of Deus Ex. One of the nice things about the original is that it gave everyone a personality, as well as give us classic lines like this (*Spoiler Alert*). The problem with games these days is their attempting too much to be this uber-serious film production that there's little left in the terms of unintentional humor (see Batman: Arkham Asylum) as well as try to make everyone have "believable" personalities instead of quirky ones.

Oh yes, it's finally coming! Can't wait!!!

I also can't wait to take hundreds and hundreds of pictures too! The art style makes for wonderful shots. Like my pic below. :)
dxhr5_win72011-06-0101fd8p.jpg

Made smaller since the original might be too large for some screens.

I'm hoping the story is good...Deus Ex had one of the best stories I've ever seen in a game. It's really one of the few games that actually got me interested in learning more about the things it presented. I remember getting way interested in artificial intelligence, conspiracy theories, medicine and physiology even. Nanotechnology. I freaking even became intrigued by a lot of the historical aspects, and read up on a lot of that. No game has ever done that for me.

I think part of its ability to do that was in how connected it felt to the real world. It was futuristic, but it was identifiable. It felt lime our world. I fear that HR looks too far distanced from life now.

We'll see though! I'll get it regardless. Pretty excited.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
A part of me kinda wishes this were terrible, so I could review it and use the tagline "What a shame".

J-A-G

Banned
It probably won't be explicitly addressed in Human Revolution, but it'd be nice to see the seeds planted for the catastrophes that are mentioned in the Deus Ex Bible.

Parch

Looks good. I originally thought this was just another FPS but it seems to be more of an action RPG so it definately gets added to my list. Looking forward to it.

J-A-G said:
It probably won't be explicitly addressed in Human Revolution, but it'd be nice to see the seeds planted for the catastrophes that are mentioned in the Deus Ex Bible.

I'm not sure if this is what you mean exactly, but
I think we'll see a lot of that kind of stuff. I wouldn't be surprised to see the bombing of the Statue of Liberty, or the formation of UNATCO at the end of the game for instance. And I'm almost 100% certain I hear Bob Page's voice in on of the trailers.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
SenseiJinx said:
I think we'll see a lot of that kind of stuff. I wouldn't be surprised to see the bombing of the Statue of Liberty, or the formation of UNATCO at the end of the game for instance. And I'm almost 100% certain I hear Bob Page's voice in on of the trailers.

I think the devs said the former two would form part of the plot, while Bob Page has actually appeared in one of the trailers.

The PC Gamer review, I think it was, said there were quite a few links to Deus Ex for those who are familiar with the universe.

J-A-G

Banned
SenseiJinx said:

If you Google the Deus Ex Bible, you'll find a website that has a bunch of interesting backstory to Deus Ex 1 that never made it in the actual game, but nevertheless, paints a picture of why the world went to hell after 2027...stuff like the earthquake that swallows up California, the formation of the first NSF ( Northwest, not National), all that generally took place a little after Human Revolution.

Anxious to pick up my augmented edition next week..

I think I might be coming down with something.. might not make it into the office.. ::cough:: ::cough::

Technosteve said:
I wonder how well the UI will scale on my tv playing from my couch on my PC.

When you plug in the xbox 360 controller ( I assume you are using it to play on your couch) you get the console UI.

J-A-G said:
If you Google the Deus Ex Bible, you'll find a website that has a bunch of interesting backstory to Deus Ex 1 that never made it in the actual game, but nevertheless, paints a picture of why the world went to hell after 2027...stuff like the earthquake that swallows up California, the formation of the first NSF ( Northwest, not National), all that generally took place a little after Human Revolution.

what a fascinating read. thanks.

Keasar

Quick question: Does the European Steam Augmented Edition include all the in-game goods? Like the UR-DED devices, sniper rifle and etc?

abunai

Keasar said:
Quick question: Does the European Steam Augmented Edition include all the in-game goods? Like the UR-DED devices, sniper rifle and etc?

Yup, europeans get both pre-order packs regardless of where you pre-order.

abunai

Keasar said:
I bought my game through GreenManGaming, do I get the pre-order stuff too?

I'm not sure but I don't see why not, they are only selling pre-orders for keys which activate on steam, so I'd guess so. Maybe someone else knows for sure though, I haven't been following the whole GMG stuff.

Keasar

abunai said:
I'm not sure but I don't see why not, they are only selling pre-orders for keys which activate on steam, so I'd guess so. Maybe someone else knows for sure though, I haven't been following the whole GMG stuff.
Was a offer they had a while ago, got the game cheapest from them then. Well, hopefully they will offer the pre-order stuff later as DLC for everyone, in case it is not included.
http://www.greenmangaming.com/games/rpgs/deus-ex-human-revolution-augmented-edition/

Anyway, worry came from the fact that Steam page doesnt list any "in-game" items on the store page.

x-Lundz-x

MrCompletely said:
Augmented Edition comes w/OST

Ahh ok. Thanks.

KorrZ said:
I refuse to believe that this game won't sell well. I refuse to believe this game won't sell well. I refuse to...

....:(

DMPrince said:
133K for all platform not including pc.

I would die a little on the inside if this happened.

Honestly this better sell a few million, if it doesn't the general gaming public has failed at life.

Truant said:
It's it pretty much a given that ANY game will sell as long as it has enough marketing behind it?
how much marketing was there for dungeon siege? lol. dat awful larping was terrible way to advertise the game.

Abylim

Thursday night I pick this up, and I'm locking myself in a room with my tv and Ps3, and playing for two days. Then back to work !

Cant wait, havent seen a lot of the media either.

Thinking on going stealth, but its not great for those moments when you do need to be out in the open, and cant stealth.

Either way, psyched!

DaBuddaDa

Being the only mass marketed retail game released within a window of three weeks, I think this will surprise people with its sales. They've done a disturbingly good job marketing a very hard to market game in this day in age and there is a ton of hype even outside of hardcore, old school Deus Ex 1 players.

electroshockwave said:
You could also use "Oh my God JC, a BOMBA!" in the price drop thread.
A bomba!

Reading Paradise Lost is a good way to get pumped!
But I feel / Far otherwise th’ event: not death but life / Augmented, opened eyes, new hopes, new joys, Taste so divine that what of sweet before / Hat touched my sense flat seems to this and harsh.
Eve, the first aug! Purity can suck it.

Top Bottom