• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Deus Ex: Human Revolution |OT| I never asked for this... It gave me lemon-lime

KorrZ

DaBuddaDa said:
Being the only mass marketed retail game released within a window of three weeks, I think this will surprise people with its sales. They've done a disturbingly good job marketing a very hard to market game in this day in age and there is a ton of hype even outside of hardcore, old school Deus Ex 1 players.

I hope you're right. I mean they picked a great time to launch the game, with nothing else on the horizon for awhile. I'm thinking about buying 2 copies just to try and increase their sales even that little bit >.> I *REALLY* want more games like this to be made.

masterkajo

KorrZ said:
I hope you're right. I mean they picked a great time to launch the game, with nothing else on the horizon for awhile. I'm thinking about buying 2 copies just to try and increase their sales even that little bit >.> I *REALLY* want more games like this to be made.
If you happen to buy two copies I'd take your second CD Key if my UK copy won't register on my EU steam account :)

KorrZ

masterkajo said:
If you happen to buy two copies I'd take your second CD Key if my UK copy won't register on my EU steam account :)

I was talking 360+PS3, my computer sadly won't do this game justice. The preview build ran at about 20 FPS for me with everything turned off.

masterkajo

KorrZ said:
I was talking 360+PS3, my computer sadly won't do this game justice. The preview build ran at about 20 FPS for me with everything turned off.
I tried... :p
But seriously, I guess I will have to call my local shop and see what I can do about that UK retail copy I got ordered. This is really a pain in the ass. Up until now everything was going perfectly... Wasn't sure if I liked it -> downloaded preview and was impressed. Bought DE:GOTY (playing it now) and ordered UK copy. Now this.

wilflare

i have no time to play it..
but it's so tempting
all the region locking nonsense and the back loggery,
tell me GAF - what should i do lol

BTW i love the OT

Maffis

So, how are people going to play through their first time? Stealthy? Action-man? Adaptive? Personally, adaptive for me. I'm going to take my sweet time to explore everything, so I'm gonna max out stealth, but if my mood changes I'm so gonna start killing people.

On my second run though I'm going 100% pure stealth with no lethal take downs.

Derrick01

Banned
Maffis said:
So, how are people going to play through their first time? Stealthy? Action-man? Adaptive? Personally, adaptive for me. I'm going to take my sweet time to explore everything, so I'm gonna max out stealth, but if my mood changes I'm so gonna start killing people.

Stealthy with a focus on hacking and speech augs, and stuff to help me explore better. I would be bored to tears if I played this like every other shooter.

thelatestmodel

Junior, please.
wilflare said:

Clear your schedule and ignore your backlog. Make the time!

Personally, I have special dispensation from my girlfriend in order to enjoy Deus Ex properly. She's quite happy to amuse herself for the whole weekend if need be, she knows how important this game is.

Alien Bob

taken advantage of my ass
Maffis said:

I'll probably go middle of the road, kill when I want, hide when I want, hack/social when I want.

thelatestmodel said:
Personally, I have special dispensation from my girlfriend in order to enjoy Deus Ex properly. She's quite happy to amuse herself for the whole weekend if need be, she knows how important this game is.

Mine will probably watch me play through the whole thing, just like she did with VTMB and Obilivion...

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
wilflare said:
i have no time to play it..
but it's so tempting
all the region locking nonsense and the back loggery,

BTW i love the OT
I'm sure I'm the only one with the common sense to tell you this: Don't buy games you have no time to play. It's a waste of money.

Effect

I hope we can be pre-download this if we get the digital version. I need at least a day to download this thing if there is nothing wrong with my connection.

Okay I've put a few more hours into Deus Ex 1. It's simultaneously fun and really frustrating. Mainly due to some gameplay mechanics and design choices. It's over 10 years old so that was to be expected. It's clear what they were attempting with the game but it's limited by the tech of the time. Which makes me look forward to Human Revolution all the more.

I look at it in the same way I look at the original Fallout and Ultima games. For their time they had to be amazing. I enjoyed the ideas in the original games when I played them and what they were attempting but it took the later versions to make me a big fan. Fallout 3 for example and Ultima 9 (as problematic it was) and Ultima Online (I'd love another Ultima rpg :( ). The core of Deus Ex I have enjoyed and appreciate. So I really hoping Human Revolution is exactly what I'm looking for.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Maffis said:

I'm going to play it like James Bond. Try social, sneak in, hack a bit, end up making a mistake and then all hell breaks loose.

Zeth

I noticed a lot of the demos are running the PS3 version. Is there any chance that it will be the better platform to buy it for (excluding PC of course)? Or will it at least be close enough that I won't feel dumb for not getting the 360 version?

.la1n

Zeth said:
I noticed a lot of the demos are running the PS3 version. Is there any chance that it will be the better platform to buy it for (excluding PC of course)? Or will it at least be close enough that I won't feel dumb for not getting the 360 version?

Do not feel dumb for getting the 360 version. It runs just as good as the PS3 version. Of course there will be small things to nitpick but otherwise the games are nearly identical.

Maffis said:

Definitely going to try a run where I don't allow myself any deaths on the hardest difficulty setting, and just do whatever it takes. Try a stealth approach, but be prepared to go lethal if necessary.

garath

Hmmm.. I'm kind of hoping giant bomb can do a quick look this week. I just need some more early gameplay to whet my appetite!

renitou

thetrin said:
I'm sure I'm the only one with the common sense to tell you this: Don't buy games you have no time to play. It's a waste of money.
Yes. Wait. Once you do find the time to play, you'll likely be able to pick up the game at half the price. The sixty dollar price point fades fast for any game that is not Call of Duty.

Or be the goober who wastes money on a game that you haven't got time for based on some fucked in the head philosophy that the developer and publisher are "counting on you."

dmshaposv

A27 Tawpgun said:
Not gonna lie. The Lemon-Lime tint on EVERYTHING is really annoying.

Fixed.

Utryw.gif

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
renitou said:
Yes. Wait. Once you do find the time to play, you'll likely be able to pick up the game at half the price. The sixty dollar price point fades fast for any game that is not Call of Duty.

Or be the goober who wastes money on a game that you haven't got time for based on some fucked in the head philosophy that the developer and publisher are "counting on you."
I'd like to think that most gaffers are not manchildren and have grown up past this phase, but I know that's not true.

thetrin

Rengoku, your first alt box cover makes me wish PS3 box art just had the PS3 logo, and not the ugly bar across the top.

masterkajo

Solo said:
Buying a $400 game is never a deal.
Just took a look and saw that the 6850 & 6870 are about $160.- & $190.-, respectively. If you are thinking about buying a new graphics card, I'd call that a good deal. I paid about $180.- back at my 5770 and didn't receive a free game with it.

thetrin

Solo said:
Buying a $400 game is never a deal.
On what planet is a 6950 $400?!

I paid $250 for mine.

Solo

I was exaggerating, my peoples. Point simply was you don't buy a videocard just to get a free game. Unless you were planning to buy that specific card in the first place.

thetrin

Solo said:
I was exaggerating, my peoples. Point simply was you don't buy a videocard just to get a free game.

Well sure, but if you were waitng for a deal to buy a new card, this is it.

Yeah, the reason I posted it is because a lot of great PC titles are going to release this year and a lot of games will require higher-end cards. 6850 for $170 sounds OK but with Deus Ex bundled along, it's a $45 added value. If I didn't have a card, this is what I'll buy since I was going to buy the game regardless of the situation.

EDIT: From PC thread: "Blah, just bought a 6850 and preordered on steam."

See! People like that exist! :p

grendelrt

Solo said:
I was exaggerating, my peoples. Point simply was you don't buy a videocard just to get a free game. Unless you were planning to buy that specific card in the first place.

Its an incentive to buy an XFX card over other manufacturers. Also if you were tossing up between two cards, this could push you towards one of them.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Has anyone pre-ordered a Steam game from Green Man Gaming? How much in advance do they send you the Steam code? I hope there is a pre-load on this, and I hope I get my GMG code in time to take advantage of it (I'm in the US).

I really hope this whole "region locking, but not GMG codes" doesn't turn into something ugly like GMG taking a few days to get their Steam codes in.

garath

shagg_187 said:
Yeah, the reason I posted it is because a lot of great PC titles are going to release this year and a lot of games will require higher-end cards. 6850 for $170 sounds OK but with Deus Ex bundled along, it's a $45 added value. If I didn't have a card, this is what I'll buy since I was going to buy the game regardless of the situation.

EDIT: From PC thread: "Blah, just bought a 6850 and preordered on steam."

See! People like that exist! :p

Exactly. I just bought a 460 and preordered on Steam. I could have instead bought a 6850 and gotten the game for free.

shagg_187 said:
Got this email today. Good deal? Great deal?!

http://i.imgur.com/byIS8.jpg
Good deal, if you're in the market for a graphics card. All three are good-to-great-value cards that should play most, or all in the case of the 6950, modern games for a while.

6850: Good budget card that plays most modern games and can sometimes be found for as low as ~$140AR.
6870: Somewhere in between; less powerful than the 6950, but not as expensive.
6950: Great-value card. If you were to go into a PC thread/forum and ask for the card that gives the most bang for your buck, the most common responses will likely be between this card's 2GB SKUs and the 560Ti.

Just read about the Region lock thing. The games here in Germany are pretty much most expensive around europe and I always import. They just lost a Day 1. Steam Sale it is then.

legbone

RedSwirl said:
So is there any chance of an official demo for this game that won't take me 15 hours to download?

unfortunately i don't think there is going to be a demo besides the leak. sucks.

anyway, pardon me for being ignorant but what engine is this running on?

legbone said:
anyway, pardon me for being ignorant but what engine is this running on?
The engine that was used for Tomb Raider Underworld. So I am guess it's crystal engine or however Crystal Dynamics calls their stuff. Or at least that's what some people here mentioned.

Top Bottom