• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Deus Ex: Human Revolution |OT| I never asked for this... It gave me lemon-lime

dream

This is going to sound stupid but I was so skeptical about this game (despite the glowing reviews) until
Pritchard told me to stay out of the ladies bathroom.
Now I'm convinced this really is a proper Deus Ex game.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Zeliard said:
I do feel it's going to get a bit annoying not being able to melee a guy at all (assuming no weapon melees either right?) without it using up energy. It'll just feel weird, I already know it. But it's something I can get by, and as a positive, it can make you consider your actions a bit more since you have to keep the energy count in mind. Can also risk bogging the game down a bit, though.

Human Revolution isn't a 100% accurate carbon copy of everything Deus Ex. Make sure to keep this in mind before you play. People, like myself, are praising it for open ended level design, atmosphere and interactivity that is right in line with the original. But there's still a lot of alterations, streamlining and overhauls, some for the better and some for the worse, that prevent it from being exactly like Deus Ex.

Omission of melee weapons is one of them, and somewhat of a negative, though the takedowns work quite well, and balance energy usage with takedowns, especially if you're going stealth, is a challenge in itself. Plus, there's still a close quarters stun gun for use.

Ugh, I don't have this yet, I will probably pick it up today.

Does the augmented edition come with any extra in-game content? I thought awhile back it was supposed to come with extra missions or weapons but looking at it now and it just seems to be collector's stuff. I can do without that but I'm kind of OCD about getting as much content as is available.

Zeliard said:
Since it's basically an auto and instakill animation I definitely agree there should be a limit, and it would be overpowered if not. I'm mostly just talking about the oddness of this otherwise powerful guy you're playing not being able to melee people if he's sapped of energy. :p And it's something a lot of people will have to keep in mind since it's an unusual function, even from the first game.
I thought the design logic behind this was that the tech is still new and they have yet to figure out how to make it power efficient. At least that's how I justify the limitation to myself.

Wallach

Treemonkeys said:
Ugh, I don't have this yet, I will probably pick it up today.

Does the augmented edition come with any extra in-game content? I thought awhile back it was supposed to come with extra missions or weapons but looking at it now and it just seems to be collector's stuff. I can do without that but I'm kind of OCD about getting as much content as is available.

No, there's no in-game stuff in the Augmented Edition. The only in-game stuff was a couple of pre-order bonuses from either Gamestop or Amazon/Walmart/Best Buy, both of which had some different stuff in them (I think a couple weapons and one had some credits or something).

Tenks

dream said:
This is going to sound stupid but I was so skeptical about this game (despite the glowing reviews) until
Pritchard told me to stay out of the ladies bathroom.
Now I'm convinced this really is a proper Deus Ex game.

Was there anyone who didn't immediately run into the ladies bathroom in the first Deus Ex immediately after being told not to?

charsace

Confidence Man said:
You could, but then you just wait a minute and the first one recharges.

Why Jensen requires energy to punch a guy in the face is beyond me, though.
I think the idea behind it is that he is using the augs to enhance his attack? From a gameplay perspective it adds a challenge.

AwRy108

Just grabbed the PS3 version, now I need the work day to be over and the child to be put to bed this evening so I can play. *SIGH* So much waiting...

vesp

Played first hour or so on my M11XR2, and it is mostly playable on the machine. Downloading it on my beefier htpc now to see how it looks in DX11.

Game seems pretty awesome so far.

Truant

Anyone else having graphical glitches? For some reason my screenshots don't display the errors I'm getting.

It's like all the specular maps are green or something, and the game sort of flickers. It goes on and off, seemingly at random intervals. It basically gives the game a greenish tint, and it's ugly as hell.

Here's what I've tried.

- Reverting to the same nVidia drivers I used when playing the leak, because that build ran flawlessly. No difference.
- Tried disabling all settings.
- Alt+Tab does nothing.
- Restarting the game helps.

I don't think it's a GPU issue since the graphics suddenly return to normal after a few minutes. It's really annoying, because the game looks fine for one moment, and strange the next. Goes back and forth like that.

charsace said:
I think the idea behind it is that he is using the augs to enhance his attack? From a gameplay perspective it adds a challenge.

It doesn't add any challenge in my experience, it just adds time, time waiting in cover for the energy to recharge.

I think the whole takedown system sucks. They made it so easy and risk-free they then had to go and put an artificial check on how often you can use it.

gdt

Played for about 2 hours, beat the prologue and the first area with the hostages.

Good stuff. Lots of options through each area, went for a stealthy approach.

The augmentations screen nearly gave me an orgasm.

EatChildren said:
Omission of melee weapons is one of them, and somewhat of a negative, though the takedowns work quite well, and balance energy usage with takedowns, especially if you're going stealth, is a challenge in itself. Plus, there's still a close quarters stun gun for use.
So there aren't any melee weapons? If this is the case, how do I go about breaking open crates? Is my only option to shoot them (I didn't try yet since I didn't want to waste what little ammo I had)?

I tried throwing a crate against a wall a few times to see if it would break, but it didn't. And I didn't notice any prompt to smash it. Or is breaking crates pointless in this game? I remember finding a bunch of ammo, lockpicks, multitools, etc. in the crates in the original Deus Ex game.

stufte

AwRy108 said:
Just grabbed the PS3 version, now I need the work day to be over and the child to be put to bed this evening so I can play. *SIGH* So much waiting...

Ain't that the truth. Married-with-kids-Gaf has is so rough. ;)

Zeliard said:
One of the guys at Sarif Industries was being an asshole so I threw a trashcan at his face, and he gunned me down in anger. Thought that was pretty uncalled for.

well, that's a hype killer. Thought this game would have good modern AI, not 1990s shitty binary AI.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
I fixed my black screen problem. It was indeed a cut scene that started. It appears I had to disable Direct X 11 :(

I hope this gets fixed at some point.

I got a good chuckle when I saw the
Final Fantasy XXVII
poster.

fallengorn

Bitches love smiley faces
EatChildren said:
Awww, didn't know that. Was hoping for some equivalent to the Dragon's Tooth Sword from the original.

Zeliard

Confidence Man said:
It's a stupid design choice. I hated it the moment I heard about it. If the intention was to prevent you from spamming takedowns they shouldn't have made them so simple and easy to pull off to begin with.

Realistically though if they were going to keep that energy takedown feature in there was little they could have done. The reason it's easy is because it basically just requires you to get into melee range to activate, but that's also the case with any sort of melee takedown, same as the crowbar backstab from the first (though that did require you to negotiate distance a bit more than this probably does).

They can only make it so hard to get into melee range if they want to keep a variety of playstyles viable, and I assume they attempt to at various points like the first game did with different combos of patrols/security cameras/alarms/turrets/bots/etc.

EatChildren said:
Human Revolution isn't a 100% accurate carbon copy of everything Deus Ex. Make sure to keep this in mind before you play. People, like myself, are praising it for open ended level design, atmosphere and interactivity that is right in line with the original. But there's still a lot of alterations, streamlining and overhauls, some for the better and some for the worse, that prevent it from being exactly like Deus Ex.

I don't want to make it seem like I'm judging it yet because I barely played it a bit last night. I have a better idea of what to expect now and I want to see how it fits in with the rest of the experience.

Smision said:
well, that's a hype killer. Thought this game would have good modern AI, not 1990s shitty binary AI.

Haha, dunno if you're joking or not, but it isn't really bad. It just perceives it as an attack, which it basically is. You do damage when you throw stuff at people in HR.

AwRy108 said:

I'm on the same page, I'm lucky if I get out of work by 6:00 today, then I like to put some quality time in my kid, and of course the wifey. Not that I don't enjoy that time, but it will be tough waiting till 10:00 to settle in to the game.

I woke up at 6:00 am just to get a little flavor before work and got through the whole intro/tutorial.

Smision said:
What if that particular NPC is just unusually angsty compared to most of the others? Maybe he just has anger management issues.

Zeliard said:
Haha, dunno if you're joking or not, but it isn't really bad. It just perceives it as an attack, which it basically is. You do damage when you throw stuff at people in HR.

that's the problem-- nobody reacts to having a box thrown at them by shooting you until you die.

well, almost no one. I'm sure some sick fuck from OT will prove me wrong with a story about a kitten that threw a box at a mother, who shot the kitten and her child in response. then the mom strap-on fucks both corpses.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
BentMyWookiee said:
So there aren't any melee weapons? If this is the case, how do I go about breaking open crates? Is my only option to shoot them (I didn't try yet since I didn't want to waste what little ammo I had)?

I tried throwing a crate against a wall a few times to see if it would break, but it didn't. And I didn't notice any prompt to smash it. Or is breaking crates pointless in this game? I remember finding a bunch of ammo, lockpicks, multitools, etc. in the crates in the original Deus Ex game.

There's not really any point breaking crates this time around, unless they're in your way or something.

coopolon

I know this is redundant, but even on PC these load times after dying are truly absurd. I'm trying to browse this thread without spoiling anything but also find tips to reduce the load times.

It's really disappointing for those of us who like to challenge ourselves and therefore run into a few rooms where we might die a few times figuring it out. What a terrible black mark on an otherwise amazing port so far.

opie211

I noticed that the Gamestop DLC for the Console versions is already on the disc and you just download an unlock key.

Anyone know if there might be some way to to unlock all the pre-order DLC through beating the game for other retailers?

Zeliard

Smision said:
that's the problem-- nobody reacts to having a box thrown at them by shooting you until you die.

well, almost no one. I'm sure some sick fuck from OT will prove me wrong with a story about a kitten that threw a box at a mother, who shot the kitten and her child in response. then the mom strap-on fucks both corpses.

lol

And somehow, all of that will be in the thread title. :p

And to be fair, if you see some unhappy looking dude carrying an automatic weapon, it's probably a good idea not to throw a trashcan at him.

Wallach

Smision said:

Maybe people with robot arms just aren't good at throwing things at people in a way that doesn't weaponize said thing being thrown.

JohngPR

I bought the Augmented Edition of the game on PC and it came with a voucher for the Explosive Mission pack. I was under the impression that the Explosive Mission pack was exclusive to Gamestop?

I never saw the fact that it came with the Augmented Edition mentioned anywhere.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Do these guards also yell "I'm under attack!" or "Take cover!" when you throw trashcans at them?

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
Bisnic said:
Do these guards also yell "I'm under attack!" or "Take cover!" when you throw trashcans at them?

The mutants are attacking meee.

or something.

Lime

JohngPR said:
I bought the Augmented Edition of the game on PC and it came with a voucher for it. I was under the impression that the Explosive Mission pack was exclusive to Gamestop?

I never saw the fact that it came with the Augmented Edition mentioned anywhere.

Is your version retail or digital?

MrCompletely said:
I'm on the same page, I'm lucky if I get out of work by 6:00 today, then I like to put some quality time in my kid, and of course the wifey. Not that I don't enjoy that time, but it will be tough waiting till 10:00 to settle in to the game.

I woke up at 6:00 am just to get a little flavor before work and got through the whole intro/tutorial.

Being a grownup is awesome!

=/

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
I'm really disappointed that I didn't get the Augmented Edition but man... the Regular PS3 Edition packaging is still amazing. I haven't seen a game lately with such good packaging in a while! Even came with a sleeve!

Riptwo

I apologize if this has already been answered, but did anyone preordering from EB have their preorder codes in the game package? I ordered the Augmented Edition, and the clerk said that the codes were supposed to be in the packages, but they'd already confirmed that the console editions were missing them. I can't find it in the PC packaging unless it's somehow a modified Steam serial or something.

Zeth

First time Deus Exer here. After 2 hours Im blown away at how fun this game is. So much exploring and experimenting it makes me god damn giddy! The thing is, there's even more stuff opening up as I go along. Makes other games seem extremely dull and on-rails. THIS is the game people need when talking about games being to linear.

My main problem so far is that it's annoying that you need to (somewhat) precisely aim at often small objects to interact with them (console version) Is anyone using increased sensitivity? I see there are quite nice options for adjusting the X and Y axes independently.

Wallach said:
Maybe people with robot arms just aren't good at throwing things at people in a way that doesn't weaponize said thing being thrown.

no, there's really no explaining this away, realistic AI is a blind spot in gaming in general. Still, they've could've put more effort into the AI routines so that people can differentiate between serious aggression and a box.

pre-order canceled

Top Bottom