• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Deus Ex: Human Revolution |OT| I never asked for this... It gave me lemon-lime

I'm in awe at the last 2 hours of my life. The game is unbelievable. I haven't even started the hostage mission yet (just got off the helicopter so it's starting now). I spent an hour at least just walking around Sarif Industries and finding all the little secrets, like the passcodes to a few of the offices, the grates, reading all the ebooks and emails... you know a game is god-tier when you have the desire to explore every nook & cranny and talk to every single NPC. The gun combat is great and I'm looking forward to trying out the non-lethal approach (that's the option I chose when he asks you lethal or non-lethal). Story's great, dialogue and writing are solid, voice-acting is solid, graphics are a little better than I expected based on the impressions I was reading... especially the character models. The tesselation or whatever's going on there looks really great. The textures on the models and helicopter are very sharp and nice looking. Some of the textures on all the various objects in the environment are not but that would have taken them forever to do. Got it on everything maxed with DX11 on @ 1080p. I really can't see any other game this year topping HR -- the blood, sweat and tears Eidos Montreal put into this for the past 4 years is on display in full force. What a rare treat...

/endmassiveblockoftext

It seems if people bought any of the PC versions at retail, it will come with a free voucher for the OnLive version.

http://worthplaying.com/article/2011/8/23/news/82977/

Square-Enix and OnLive announced that all purchasers of the PC, retail boxed copy of Deus Ex: Human Revolution will receive an additional, FREE copy of the game via OnLive. This offer does not apply to console editions of the game or digital download editions.

A redemption code for an OnLive copy is included in the retail box and works with the OnLive client on PC, Mac and the OnLive microconsole, just punch in the code through the the free OnLive Game Service. OnLive is currently the only way to play Deus Ex: Human Revolution on a Mac.

Deus Ex: Human Revolution gamers get the dual benefit of a physical disc copy to run on their home PC however they choose to configure it, as well as a cloud copy on the OnLive Game Service to run through the Internet virtually any device with all the exclusive features of OnLive cloud gaming. These features include massive spectating, OnLive Brag Clip videos, Facebook integration and voice chat with spectators, other players and groups.

charsace

Smision said:
no, there's really no explaining this away, realistic AI is a blind spot in gaming in general. Still, they've could've put more effort into the AI routines so that people can differentiate between serious aggression and a box.

pre-order canceled
You can hurt people with thrown boxes in the game.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
Anyone else catch this easter egg in the prologue?

The code to the elevator, 0451, was the code to get you out of the Med Bay, at the very beginning of System Shock 1.

LovingSteam said:
Wait, isn't Deus Ex Steamworks? So Steamworks AND Onlive? Wow.
I bought from Impulse, and the game started downloading from their servers. I didn't let it finish though.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Smision said:
yes. I'm probably just gonna boycott Square-Enix altogether, since they clearly don't care about gamers

You show them! One guy boycotting will show them!

Zeliard

The art book is pretty awesome.

ieh3k8.jpg

15hd9hl.jpg

Echoplx

K.Jack said:

The code to the elevator, 0451, was the code to get you out of the Med Bay, at the very beginning of System Shock 1.

It's also the code to the armory on Liberty Island in the original Deus Ex

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Clearing out a room of bad guys with non-lethal takedowns makes me feel like the fucking Batman. This game is pretty good.

K.Jack said:

I bought from Impulse, and the game started downloading from their servers. I didn't let it finish though.
It's also a code in Deus Ex 1, I think to the security trailer on Liberty Island

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Finally about to start playing. What difficulty should I go with? "Give Me Deus Ex"?

Are there any differences besides damage/health?

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Just got my Augmented Edition. Gorgeous, super classy package. Worth $10 for the box alone. Just about to start playing.

Exuro

MrCompletely said:
Does this mean that all of your saved game content is persistent among Steam and Onlive?
No, a lot of Steamworks games are also available on Onlive, but they have no interaction at all.

Zeliard

Smision said:
it's funny because i'm joking around, but people are seriously defending that an enemy should shoot you if you threw a box at them. A BOX. A BOX.

Listen Brad Pitt from Se7en, it was a metal trashcan, not a mere box. And he got panicked, rightfully, since I would have just thrown another trashcan at him.

Has anyone picked up an Augmented Edition copy without a preorder? I'm wondering what my chances will be when I stop by Best Buy / Gamestop / whereverIneedtogotogetone later today.

Dresden

Smision said:
it's funny because i'm joking around, but people are seriously defending that an enemy should shoot you if you threw a box at them. A BOX. A BOX.
Look bro.

You toss that box at me.

I'mma cap your ass.

PooBone

So I've never gotten into either of the other Deus Ex games and I don't remember much about them fiction wise. Is there anything I need to know before I jump into Human Revolution?

Also, anyone have some off-screen outdoor city shots?

Angst

K.Jack said:

It was actually the code for Looking Glass' office, which made into System Shock 1. They changed it shortly after the game's release...

charsace

Smision said:
The box does damage so of course the AI is going to shoot you. That's all I was trying to say. If you do damage to the AI its either going to attack you if it can or cower/run away.

alphaNoid said:
This game supports Eyefinity right? like support, supports it? If so, I'm buying it on my way home from work
KuGsj.gif
3AQmK.gif

Yes, just tested it today in the morning and it is flawless, game defaults to a claustrophobic 75 FOV but you can change it in the main menu to something like 90 and you are set.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
So.. This is a stealth game. I know they tried to say, like Alpha Protocol, 'you can play it any way you like', but it should be 'you can play it any way you like.. as long as you constantly hide'

well my steam time played stat got erased. says i haven't played the game when i put around 3 hours into it last night. my saves are fine and dandy though so it's not really an issue.

regarding the first mission and the hostage situation,
i find it brilliant that taking too long to report in and board the helicopter results in their deaths. sure it is a little off-putting at first to have a video game place a time constraint on a major objective like that without a specific warning or on-screen timer flashing, but it adds an immense amount of weight to the scenario and really helps to ground the game in reality. make no mistake, i took my sweet time perusing the office building and could have easily poked around longer. just like the dialogue system in Alpha Protocol, being pressured into taking action leads to more interesting and 'real' responses from the player. once understood it becomes another factor to account for in future missions.

Question for people who ordered the game from Amazon.co.uk

What is your delivery estimate date? I didn't realise until today that when I ordered it (in May) the credit card I used is now out of date, so I had to fix the order today. Delivery Estimate said 26th August, now it says 27th...

It better come on Friday or I'll be rather miffed.

Top Bottom