• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Deus Ex: Human Revolution |OT| I never asked for this... It gave me lemon-lime

I just started the first mission, and so far the game is running really well on my setup with DX11 and Tesslation. I'd say 30-40fps usually.

As for gameplay, I'm enjoying the hell out of it. I can tell this is one of those games I'm going to need to sit back and take my time with it. Good thing I have a 360 pad. :D

Wallach

Zeliard said:
One of the guys at Sarif Industries was being an asshole so I threw a trashcan at his face, and he gunned me down in anger. Thought that was pretty uncalled for.

You're the protagonist of a Deus Ex game, he knew what the fuck was up.

Drazgul said:
What on earth is going on with that dude's shirt cuffs? Punch him for me EmCeeGramr, that has to be a fashion faux pas even in the future.
I tried to punch him, but you can't inside Sarif, and I couldn't find a trashcan in time. I'll get him later.

Dizzy-4U said:
As someone who likes to explore and look at every little detail, this has me worried. I just hope there aren't many of those situations in the game.

I'm glad you guys mentioned that, because I was about to start folling around and breaking into people's offices.

Zeliard

Wallach said:
You're the protagonist of a Deus Ex game, he knew what the fuck was up.

Deus Ex protagonists are well-known for their willingness to talk over difficult issues. The man simply overreacted.

ironcreed

Banned
Dunlop said:
outside of anal pixel counters is there any comparisons between the 360 and PS3.

I want to go pick it up for the PS3 but have been burnt making that decision in the past :p

Here you go, complete with video. The 360 version appears to have a slightly richer contrast. Otherwise, nothing to split hairs over. I have the PS3 version on the way and think I'll be more than fine with it.

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/316528/deus-ex-human-revolution-ps3-vs-360-comparison-video/

DTKT

So, I screwed up. I read on some stuff before the game came out and I don't want to get too far without making sure of one thing.

I just entered the lobby after getting augmented. I heard that if you went to see Pritchard and Sarif, some people would die at the Milwauke facility. Should I just go to the Helipad without speaking to anyone?

legbone

boredofcanada said:
ps3 augmented case is the bomb.

yes, yes it is.

and i'm glad i read those spoilers about the first mission. i'm a serious snooper/explorer in stealth games but i'm also pissy about screwing up missions. thanks. maybe i should try and stifle my ocd tendencies and just play this one and let things lie where they end up and not restart if i screw up. looking like multiple playthroughs for me. man i really do not have the time for that.

Drazgul

thetrin said:
I'm surprised that's the first time you're noticing that. If you look at Sarif's vest, it's heavily creased like that, too.

Yeah I've done my best to avoid most threads and previews so far, but since it could be about two weeks before I get my hands on it (need to get a new rig before that, and component availability here is iffy atm), this thread'll have to tide me over in the meantime.

Firehead

The Broken Ska Record said:
Note to self: Don't throw boxes at police officers.
That's the first thing I did at the beginning. I was kinda hoping it would just annoy the NPCs like it did in Deus Ex :/

Wallach

Zeliard said:
Deus Ex protagonists are well-known for their willingness to talk over difficult issues. The man simply overreacted.

They're also well known for beating old men to death with crowbars. I'm surprised he didn't gun you down on sight.

Zeliard

Wallach said:
They're also well known for beating old men to death with crowbars. I'm surprised he didn't gun you down on sight.

I actually am curious about the crowbar. HR has one I hope? That was my weapon of choice, along with the sniper rifle for long range (especially outfitted with a silencer), and I'm trying to replicate the whole stealth sniper + crowbar to the back of the head playstyle I loved so much in the original.

Blizzard

Banned
MoonsaultSlayer said:
Ok, I should make it clear that I was super hyped about this game and have been hyping it to others unfamiliar with it. However, watching gameplay footage this morning has sort of calmed my hype. My original post was brash to draw attention hoping some of you would post spoilers and scenarios that would emphasize the game's dynamic choices.

I watched a director commentary vid in which the player reaches an area that is said to be so highly secured that if you're in there, you're supposed to be there. I can suspend belief and ignore that such a place doesn't question the look and actions of my character or ask for ID but when he said that if you made mistakes in a previous area, it doesn't matter here because its a new part of the map, it irked me. I don't like the idea of a shootout taking place in this setting and having a secured area be taken so lightly. No security footage? No guards on high alert and extra sensitive to your actions? Maybe I'm expecting too much?

I just want an idea of what to expect. Why so defensive an hostile?
I am only going to say this one more time, I sense that you will not enjoy the game. That is just a hunch on my part, judging from your posts, the fact that gameplay videos lower your level or interest, and the fact that the lack of appropriate security features in one area of a video game bothers you. Wait until a sale, or find another game. That is my respectful recommendation. :)

Zeliard said:
I actually am curious about the crowbar. HR has one I hope? That was my weapon of choice, along with the sniper rifle for long range (especially outfitted with a silencer), and I'm trying to replicate the whole stealth sniper + crowbar to the back of the head playstyle I loved so much in the original.

No melee weapons.

Derrick01

Banned
Do you have to restart the game for major changes to take place, like dx 11? I turned tesselation and pretty much everything else on other than DOF I believe and I'm still getting 60 fps. Usually tesselation alone crushes my framerate, but then again I can't really tell a difference with all of it on so that's why I was wondering maybe it wasn't officially "on" yet.

Dunlop

ironcreed said:
Here you go, complete with video. The 360 version appears to have a slightly richer contrast. Otherwise, nothing to split hairs over. I have the PS3 version on the way and think I'll be more than fine with it.

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/316528/deus-ex-human-revolution-ps3-vs-360-comparison-video/

firewall at work blocks that, but thanks for the summary. All I really cared about was if it had major issues that made it vastly inferiour

/runs out on lunch break to go buy it

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
All I want to know is that if a little kid starts talking smack to me, can I strap his body with mines and throw him down a skyscraper?

JohngPR

Solo said:
I was actually just making fun of the OMG insanity upthread of my post.

LOL! Still, I'm usually a lot more thoughtful than that. :p

Alright so I know some guys are saying that MLAA is better than FXAA, but it hasn't been the case for me.

MLAA

FXAA (high)

Notice the stair stepping in the MLAA shot.

Truant

VPN trick did the ..trick. Works like a charm.

However, I'm getting a weird green tinted image at times. It pops in and out, no matter the setting. Anyone else having this problem? Thought it was my videocard overheating, but it's cool as a whistle.

Gvaz

Banned
Solo said:
No Dragon Tooth :(
xv0sE.gif

Zeliard said:
I'm just wondering if you can end up in a situation where you have no energy for the takedowns and no ammo.

You could, but then you just wait a minute and the first one recharges.

Why Jensen requires energy to punch a guy in the face is beyond me, though.

Dennis

Banned
My new GPUs and other new PC components are still not here.

But hey, you guys enjoy the game, its not like I don't have work to do anyway so it is no bother.

No, no bother at all.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
While playing the prologue, and I'm guessing a cutscene was going to happen, my screen went completely black.

Zeliard

Confidence Man said:
You could, but then you just wait a minute and the first one recharges.

Why Jensen requires energy to punch a guy in the face is beyond me, though.

I do feel it's going to get a bit annoying not being able to melee a guy at all (assuming no weapon melees either right?) without it using up energy. It'll just feel weird, I already know it. But it's something I can get by, and as a positive, it can make you consider your actions a bit more since you have to keep the energy count in mind. Can also risk bogging the game down a bit, though.

Tenks

Zeliard said:
I do feel it's going to get a bit annoying not being able to melee a guy at all (assuming no weapon melees either right?) without it using up energy. It'll just feel weird, I already know it. But it's something I can get by, and as a positive, it can make you consider your actions a bit more since you have to keep the energy count in mind. Can also risk bogging the game down a bit, though.

I like it from a design point of view. I know in the latter parts of Alpha Protocol all I did was silent takedown after silent takendown followed up by another silent takedown. This makes it so you can't just spam the move.

Zeliard

Tenks said:
I like it from a design point of view. I know in the latter parts of Alpha Protocol all I did was silent takedown after silent takendown followed up by another silent takedown. This makes it so you can't just spam the move.

Since it's basically an auto and instakill animation I definitely agree there should be a limit, and it would be overpowered if not. I'm mostly just talking about the oddness of this otherwise powerful guy you're playing not being able to melee people if he's sapped of energy. :p And it's something a lot of people will have to keep in mind since it's an unusual function, even from the first game.

Zeliard said:

It's a stupid design choice. I hated it the moment I heard about it. If the intention was to prevent you from spamming takedowns they shouldn't have made them so simple and easy to pull off to begin with.

Top Bottom