• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Deus Ex: Human Revolution |OT| I never asked for this... It gave me lemon-lime

Solo

Just beat the first mission (3 hours to do it, lol). Saved all the hostages, hacked everything I could hack, and popped a cap in the head of the hostage-taker. I am enjoying the game so far, but its not yet evoking the Deus Ex "feel" for me. In a lot of ways, I think gaming has progressed too much to ever have a game that feels like that again.

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
This is going to be a long last half hour from work, then an even longer bus ride.

A friend of mine got me a Gamestop gift certificate for $30 as a belated birthday present, so on my way home, I'm going to stop off at Gamestop and pick this up if I can. I was actually kind of "meh" on it, mostly because I love Deus Ex so much, and I was afraid that HR would be this big, annoying departure from what I loved about DX so much, but this thread, and numerous other impressions have got me excited about it. And for $30, I can't really complain too much anyway, and if I were to return it/trade it in, I really wouldn't have lost much.

I'm expecting it to be a keeper, though. I remember spending hours at my friends house playing through this game. I even bought the shitty PS2 version to get my fix when I didn't have a PC to play it.

I'm dying to get my hands on this one. Here's hoping GS has plenty by the time I get there. I keep my hype in check, but I'm certainly looking forward to this. This thread has been entertaining, and kept me occupied on an otherwise slow day at work.

Zeal

Banned
i can honestly say the ridiculous levels of bullet nerf almost fucks up this awesome game. picking up boxes of bullets and getting 2-3 from them is not fun or challenging, it's just stupid and makes no design sense. there is nothing fun about having to shoot certain enemies 3-4 times to drop them and then having a useless weapon. oh but wait, i just found 1 bullet! yay!

what a clusterfuck.

Qwomo

I'm really interested in what those QR codes say, I hope somebody scans them.

Also there was a full phone number on a post-it note on Josie Thorpe's office wall (like, not your usual 555-fake-number). I didn't write it down, but turns out the area code (248) is a Detroit area code!

Dat attention to detail.

Daeda

Solo said:
Just beat the first mission (3 hours to do it, lol). Saved all the hostages, hacked everything I could hack, and popped a cap in the head of the hostage-taker. I am enjoying the game so far, but its not yet evoking the Deus Ex "feel" for me. In a lot of ways, I think gaming has progressed too much to ever have a game that feels like that again.

Next mission opens it up a lot.. first mission still feels a bit like a tutorial.

Akkad

Banned
Ugh! two crashes already and I barely started the game (PC version). Hopefully updated Nvidia drivers will solve the problem.

Gala

See You Next Wednesday said:
Examples please.

After you get the Social Enhancer, you get an interface which analyses how the person you talk to behave in conversations and what strategies he uses. It sums up his character, displays heartbeats and things like that, if the person gets nervous and shows how persuasive you are.
And the best thing is that you can spray some hormones on them to make them behave as you will.

The best conversation I had so far was after the FEMA-Warehouse Quest you, when you have to talk to Sarif himself about the firewall breach. That whole conversation just gave me goose bumps

Zeal said:
i can honestly say the ridiculous levels of bullet nerf almost fucks up this awesome game. picking up boxes of bullets and getting 2-3 from them is not fun or challenging, it's just stupid and makes no design sense. there is nothing fun about having to shoot certain enemies 3-4 times to drop them and then having a useless weapon. oh but wait, i just found 1 bullet! yay!

what a clusterfuck.

Stop shooting (only) then.

Solo

Daeda said:
Next mission opens it up a lot.. first mission still feels a bit like a tutorial.

Don't get me wrong, they've got all the checklist items in there - augs, hacking, vents to sneak in, etc., but then there are modern gaming conventions like cover which make this more of a DX/Gears of War hybrid.

Played for about 2 hours (360 version), and this game is really impressive. The sound track gives me a tron legacy vibe and fits the game perfect. The game runs and looks great on the 360. The attention to detail is crazy and didn't expect this kind of production values, this game was a blind purchase and had little interest in it untill I read some of your guys impressions.

Daeda

I liked the cover personally.. its a good way to get an oversight from the level and you're actually able to determine whether enemies can see you or not.

Solo said:
Don't get me wrong, they've got all the checklist items in there - augs, hacking, vents to sneak in, etc., but then there are modern gaming conventions like cover which make this more of a DX/Gears of War hybrid.

It's inspired by Rainbow Six: Vegas actually, the director of DE3 worked on RSV titles while at Ubisoft and for a time he was the director of one of them (that might have been cancelled or been released as RSV2? - not sure exactly).

RSV2 Gameplay: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cyrWvcq3Hls

You can see it's the same type of FPS -> TPS cover system.

~Kinggi~

Banned
God damn im fuckin playin Deus EX oh yeaaaaaaaaaahhh.

Shit there are like 300 achievement points solely dedicated to super hard no kill no detection game completions. For a 30 hour game, got damn.

Menu music is so good. Ok im gonna go play now.

I can tell that once I learn the games mechanics and make them feel natural, Im going to dig the hell out of this. As of now, Im the worst silent assassin ever. Look both ways, no ones around and walking the opposite direction out of sight, quickly take out guy.... then at least one guy pops out of nowhere like he's throwing a surprise birthday party. lol Just need to get better, but the game is very impressive. Cant wait to play more.

Fixed1979

Bah, still getting the CTD without an error message at the main menu. I had a similar problem with Portal 2 except I could play for a couple minutes with Portal...There's going to be some frustration ahead. =(

Appears to be solved...much more relaxed now.

bob page

Just finished the opening stage.

Goosebumps.

It's rare to play a game with this much love put into it nowadays. I can't wait to keep playing!

duckroll

Solo said:

It shouldn't invoke the Deus Ex feel in you, because it's a MGS RPG. :)

moop2000 said:
I'm surprised Tish wasn't eating watermelon and fried chicken during that convo. Fucking ridiculous.

Yeah, that kinda rubs me the wrong way. Same with the gang banger who sells you ammo
at the beginning of the warehouse mission
. Jensen even makes a glib remark about his ebonics. They also spell stuff phonetically for these characters: brutha, dayum, what chu, etc.

Kinda fucked up to be honest.

BigJiantRobut said:
Yeah, that kinda rubs me the wrong way. Same with the gang banger who sells you ammo
at the beginning of the warehouse mission
. Jensen even makes a glib remark about his ebonics. They also spell stuff phonetically for these characters: brutha, dayum, what chu, etc.

Kinda fucked up to be honest.

Eh, the original was pretty much the same.

Oh for a laugh look up who voiced JoJo Fine. :)

Abylim

For those of you in Aus, EB is selling it earlier in Queensland.

I'm trying to convince my Gametraders to do likewise, its where I preordered.

Tokubetsu

INDIGO_CYCLOPS said:
There is a computer in the main police precinct that has the login "rdeckard"

Loved seeing that!

You can also overhear some officers through a vent talking about some "Movie from the 1980s with a cyborg cop...surprised you haven't heard of it man! It's set in Detroit!"

Tokubetsu said:
You can also overhear some officers through a vent talking about some "Movie from the 1980s with a cyborg cop...surprised you haven't heard of it man! It's set in Detroit!"

Yea I caught that too, that was great.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
I was enjoying the game a lot, despite making a few choices that I want to redo but I think I may have completely screwed myself over and may have to restart. The objective is marked M5.
I accidently hit Square when I didn't mean to and Haas refused to let me into the morgue. I went into the police department the back way and triggered an alarm. When I went in the sewers the alarm went away so I tried again to sneak through and that didn't work. All was normal on the street after I went through the sewers again but when I went in the front door of the station I got immediately killed. When I reloaded I went outside and immediately got killed out there. Both of my saves have me getting killed immediately now.
Am I completely screwed?

so has anyone got this game to work with 3D vision? it RUNS but doesn't work properly with loads of effects not properly rendered in 3D and looking a mess.

also, 2D mode works great except tutorial crashes with black screen (where presumably a video is shown) and I have to reboot

LuchaShaq

Banned
Watched the quicklook and am now alot more excited to play the game, but considering mute+ subtitles due to the voice acting, it's overall pretty poor and glaringly French Canadian but the main character's voice is a fucking disaster.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
Gripe incoming.

Who gives a fuck about blind fire?

They should have copied what real cover based 3rd-person shooters do, meaning that pushing fire should pop you out of cover to take the shot.

Having to hold a direction and then fire doesn't feel half as smooth, at least for me. Maybe it's so jarring because I've been playing a bunch of Mass Effect 2 recently.

I'll adjust accordingly, but ugh at my early experience.

Qwomo

LuchaShaq said:
Watched the quicklook and am now alot more excited to play the game, but considering mute+ subtitles due to the voice acting, it's overall pretty poor and glaringly French Canadian but the main character's voice is a fucking disaster.
No, the main character is superbly voiced.

Overall, the voice acting is fine.

LuchaShaq

Banned
Qwomo said:
No, the main character is superbly voiced.

Overall, the voice acting is fine.

So the voice actor in the quicklook disappears/drastically changes? It's the worst fake gravely voice I've basically ever heard.

Blizzard

Banned
LuchaShaq said:
So the voice actor in the quicklook disappears/drastically changes? It's the worst fake gravely voice I've basically ever heard.
From what someone was saying earlier in the thread, the voice actor for the main character is interviewed in one of the making-of/about movies, and he literally has that voice, like it's not even fake.

*edit* I'm finally going to try jumping forward like 10 months of AMD driver updates. This will probably break some 15 games that I won't know about until later. =P

LuchaShaq

Banned
Blizzard said:
From what someone was saying earlier in the thread, the voice actor for the main character is interviewed in one of the making-of/about movies, and he literally has that voice, like it's not even fake.

It doesn't really matter if it IS his real voice when it sounds horribly fake and hilariously bad.

Qwomo

LuchaShaq said:
That is what the voice actor actually sounds like in real life.

Daeda

RoboPlato said:
Am I completely screwed?

Unlikely
There are multiple ways inside the police station besides the front door. Try finding them and go on from there. I know about at least 3 alternative entrances to the building, one of which brings you directly into the morgue.

icespide

Banned
did anyone else's release day delivery amazon order get delayed? I ordered like 3 weeks ago. this sucks. hopefully it will arrive tomorrow

Aselith

Outtrigger888 said:
Played for about 2 hours (360 version), and this game is really impressive. The sound track gives me a tron legacy vibe and fits the game perfect. The game runs and looks great on the 360. The attention to detail is crazy and didn't expect this kind of production values, this game was a blind purchase and had little interest in it untill I read some of your guys impressions.

How does the cutscene video look compared to gameplay on 360? There's a noticable difference in quality with cutscenes being the poorer on PC. Is it the same on 360 or is it pretty much the same looking?

Aselith said:
How does the cutscene video look compared to gameplay on 360? There's a noticable difference in quality with cutscenes being the poorer on PC. Is it the same on 360 or is it pretty much the same looking?

The cut scene video quality is actually pretty good on my 55 inch, I have no complaints. Its nothing like the pc version you guys are describing

I see nothing about bink video on the back of the 360 game case or manual

Top Bottom