• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Deus Ex: Human Revolution |OT| I never asked for this... It gave me lemon-lime

Effect

Finished the first mission and have to say it was great. What I expected from the video I've seen before and what I've been experiencing of the original Deus Ex. What I really appreciate though, and it's something that's in the original game, is the common sense given to the number of enemies you encounter. Had this been any other first person point of view game we'd easily be going up against 100+ number of enemies. Regardless of the sense it made for the location. That goes a long way.

I also like that as I progress through areas I see other ways I could have gone. Vents for example had me wondering where I could have enter a room or two ago.

I had to turn the shadows off though. I think they made my PC crash.

sweet, i get home today after pre-loading on steam yesterday and the game gives me a message about defragmenting my steam games and downloading some human revolution update..... now the defragmenter isn't moving at all and the HR download is stopped at 64%

yesssssssssss!

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Finished the first stage. Quick thoughts.
-I put in 3.2 hours already. I've probably only played 1.30 hours of content though. Making sure I do everything right without being found out, trying alternate routes, etc. Its pretty damn awesome.
-The controls feel absolutely wonderful with KB+M. Left to Shoot, Right to use cover, Space to move cover, and Mouse wheel to scroll. Add in Q being melee. Its all comfortable.
-No problems with ammo or anything difficult so far. I skipped a few areas, but took out most guys in each area. I have full ammo for my Traq gun, and a hundred bullets+ between the other guns. Its basically been all just observing and acting.
-Playing with boxes is fun
-I'm actually enjoying the story quite a bit. Voice acting definitely has a lot of questionable chooses, but its been pretty good.
-My PC is definitely dated, but its run very well so far. 8800GT, 2.13 Duo Core, 2Gig Ram. I'm maintaining a sound 30FPS playing with most on medium.

Basically, I'm happy I bought the game and support the developers.

BigJiantRobut said:
Yeah, that kinda rubs me the wrong way. Same with the gang banger who sells you ammo
at the beginning of the warehouse mission
. Jensen even makes a glib remark about his ebonics. They also spell stuff phonetically for these characters: brutha, dayum, what chu, etc.

Kinda fucked up to be honest.

I don;t think it would be so off-putting if the character didn't actually use some of the more complicated words she uses. It just seems so out of place. I'm not actually that entirely offended by it but it seems like some piss poor effort at making it not sound ridiculous

I've played about 4 or 5 hours of the game and I am, so far, thoroughly enjoying it! Although, could anyone enlighten me on the "Personality Type" feature? I'm not sure how it works or what its benefiting. Thanks in advance.

LuchaShaq

Banned
Clevinger said:
Except it doesn't. Not everyone has a clean, smooth voice.

There is a difference between a non smooth voice and a comically fake sounding gravelly voice that belongs in a bad youtube parody movie. Guess I should know better than say anything besides OMGOMG 10/10

Love that the cover system reminds me of R6V, if it works as well I'll be very happy.

DarkChild

Banned
What a game...Atmosphere is like nothing else,music too.Shooting is a bit iffy,controls take some time to get used to and voice acting is not all that great.But game itself is the shit.I'll easily put 50 hours in it...

coopolon

This game on PC could really use a UI mod. Like Darnified for Oblivion/FO3. The text is so big that you have to scroll through tons of emails when they really could all easily fit onto one or two pages.

The voice actor didn't bother me. I guess when I first played Deus Ex that voice actor did bother me, but after an hour or two that just became JC Denton, and I might have even been disappointed if they didn't follow that appropriately in this game.

I'm also suprisingly enjoying the cover system as well. If you had told me about it before hand I would have hated it, but in actual use I dig it. It just works. The blind fire is stupid though.

I keep telling myself I should stop playing and come back to it in a month or two when they hopefully fix the load times, but I keep playing it. Thank god for the Steam overlay though, I just read gaf or news articles for 30-50s at a time every time I load.

Blizzard

Banned
LuchaShaq said:
There is a difference between a non smooth voice and a comically fake sounding gravelly voice that belongs in a bad youtube parody movie. Guess I should know better than say anything besides OMGOMG 10/10

Love that the cover system reminds me of R6V, if it works as well I'll be very happy.
No one said you had to be OMGOMG 10/10, but some (several?) people disagree with you about the voice. It's a preference. Some people may have hated Batman's voice in the Dark Knight, and some people may have liked it. :)

hlhbk

So I got the augmented edition from green man gaming and activated it on Steam and I don't see the augmented extras?

The most annoying thing about Adam's voice is how much fucking bass there is to it, it sounds like they added it in post-production. Every other character sounds normal but when he talks it's like the PS1 bootup sound.

bob page

Aselith said:
How does the cutscene video look compared to gameplay on 360? There's a noticable difference in quality with cutscenes being the poorer on PC. Is it the same on 360 or is it pretty much the same looking?
The cutscenes don't look bad at all on the 360. I'm pretty glad I chose the 360 version over the PS3/PC. The aliasing isn't noticeable and I haven't found any stuttering issues yet. Plus, when installed on the HDD, I haven't even noticed the load times being too long.

Apologies if this has been posted, but if anyone else bought the digital download via Shopto, the key should now be under "download" in your account. Don't think they're sending out emails to let peeps know.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Red Blaster said:
The most annoying thing about Adam's voice is how much fucking bass there is to it, it sounds like they added it in post-production. Every other character sounds normal but when he talks it's like the PS1 bootup sound.

It's like Geralt's voice in TW1. It made my living room tremor a bit.

Red Blaster said:

Sweet, gonna sound amazing through my DT990s.

~Kinggi~

Banned
God damn the storytelling is so damn good. The world is so fascinating. They need to release a demo that is just the first part of the game and ends with the intro movie. I know i would want to go to the store and buy it after that. I must learn more!!

Rygar 8 Bit

Jaguar 64-bit
like the game so far just dont like that the AI just suicide charges you in a fire fight it should try and take cover but they just come straight at you

bob page said:
The cutscenes don't look bad at all on the 360. I'm pretty glad I chose the 360 version over the PS3/PC. The aliasing isn't noticeable and I haven't found any stuttering issues yet. Plus, when installed on the HDD, I haven't even noticed the load times being too long.

Same, the load times seem pretty short on my slim 360 (installed). I see no indication of the console versions using bink, I could be wrong. Ive noticed some frame drops in areas but nothing to ruin the experience. Im very happy with the console version.

Rygar 8 Bit said:
like the game so far just dont like that the AI just suicide charges you in a fire fight it should try and take cover but they just come straight at you

Ive noticed the AI taking cover, I havnt progressed through the game to far to notice anything out of the ordinary though.

DarkChild

Banned
Outtrigger888 said:
Same, the load times seem pretty short on my slim 360 (installed). I see no indication of the console versions using bink, I could be wrong. Ive noticed some frame drops in areas but nothing to ruin the experience. Im very happy with the console version.

Ive noticed the AI taking cover, I havnt progressed through the game to far to notice anything out of the ordinary though.
Yea,it looks quite nice on 360.Game seemed very jagged from videos but on my TV it is quite smooth,probably duo to FXAA.There is some shimmering though...

KorrZ

Played about 5 hours so far..just got out into the first hub and have been exploring every nook and cranny. This game is incredible. I already expected as such from playing the leak, but it barely ran on my PC. The 360 version is great, load times are annoying but not a big deal after playing Oblivion on 360. The best part though is that I've only killed one person so far :)

So far I'm impressed with some of the technical programmed details they've included. Transitioning between using KB+M and a Gamepad is 100% seamless, perfectly implemented.

They give you options for the TYPE of AA, thats the first time I've seen that.
They let you change the FOV without editting .ini files, its in the settings menu.
Eyefinity support that actually looks like it works.

It just feels like they are treating me like an adult.

Zeliard

Exuro said:
How do I put my weapon away?

Press H on PC

And the tilde button by default toggles the 1-10 menu at the bottom.

Game's a blast so far. Recently unlocked the Social Enhancer aug and used it to get into
the police station
. That thing is pretty useful. :p It's pretty fun to use as well, I hope it's an option throughout the game though it doesn't seem too difficult to 'win'. It's nice to have the option to talk your way through whenever the mood strikes.

Need help, doing the mission in the Detroit Hub
involving O'Malley. I've gone to the location of the package but all I see are three large crates, do I have to break those open or something?

AlimNassor said:
I actually like Adams voice. It's not half bad.

Reminds me of Timothy Oliphant (Deadwood, Hitman movie).

Anyway, got the game at lunch today. It was $53.99 at Wal-Mart! Came with the "Tactical Enhancement" DLC code. No idea what's in the pack though.

Ok I understand now, this game is Deus Ex as Fuck. The graphics are ok I can live with not witcher cream my pants good. The mouth movement are a bit janky. All things I will happily live with. Story feels like a techno punk noir. I like this game!

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
I like Adams voice. Liked JC's as well. Alex D? Not so much. Sounded like a pussy.

Anyone else having problems making V-sync work? Even by force? My only issue.

I tried launching Deus Ex: HR and was greeted with this message. "This game is unavailable. Please try at another time."

Well, that's stupid. I would have played it on the PS3 had I known this kind of thing would happen.

FYI, I have 2 hours into the game from my earlier play session.

Hawk269

WoW...Pretty impressed so far. Game runs great, but barely taxing my GPU's, which is no complaint. Running DX11 at 1080p with everything set to max.

Just a couple of questions, since I am still fairly ne to PC gaming....

1. For the Shadows, is Normal or Soft the better one? I noticed Soft is the last one, so I assume it is better.

2. Would it be better to force Vsync and Tripple Buffering via the driver or in-game? Is one or the other better?

3. For the AA, the last one you can choose is MLAA, is FSAA High better, worse?

Thanks for any an all replies...and the game has some good humor. In the intro, I decided to listen in on the girls as they were using the toilets. I also decided to jump up and try to look in one of the stalls..as I did one of the girls looked up but didnt say anything. The funny thing was that I did that before you are suppose to get your visual thing fixed and when I talked to that guy he made a comment that I should not be in the ladies bathroom. Thought it was pretty funny.

Hawk269

Just an FYI for any of those that come across this issue. I bought the PC retail version, installed it, then steam applied the patch. When I tried to run the game of the setup while in steam I was greeted with a window with a red "X". No explanation or anything. Tried it a few times, closed Steam, re-opened and had the same issue.

The only fix was to run Steam as Administrator and once I did that I was able to run the game with no issues.

Just FYI!

Unicorn

Pixel Pete said:
So far I'm impressed with some of the technical programmed details they've included. Transitioning between using KB+M and a Gamepad is 100% seamless, perfectly implemented.

They give you options for the TYPE of AA, thats the first time I've seen that.
They let you change the FOV without editting .ini files, its in the settings menu.
Eyefinity support that actually looks like it works.

It just feels like they are treating me like an adult.
carlsaganav.jpg

This makes me and Carl Sagan happy.

DarkChild said:
Yea,it looks quite nice on 360.Game seemed very jagged from videos but on my TV it is quite smooth,probably duo to FXAA.There is some shimmering though...

What exactly is FXAA? The game look clean in some parts, but definitely has a shimmering effects on straight diagonal lines.

Syriel

RoboPlato said:
I just realized that how Jensen became augmented is basically the backstory of Robocop, right down to being in Detroit. My copy should be arriving soon. Cannot wait.

Make sure you listen in on *all* the conversations in the Police Station. ;)

LovingSteam said:
Wait, isn't Deus Ex Steamworks? So Steamworks AND Onlive? Wow.

If you buy the retail box PC version you essentially get two separate copies. Installable Steamworks version and streaming OnLive version.

Tokubetsu said:
How do I get passed mines without setting them off? (Don't say alt. route)

Walk very slowly. Avoid the lighted area if possible. Walk very slowly.

Solo said:
Just beat the first mission (3 hours to do it, lol). Saved all the hostages, hacked everything I could hack, and popped a cap in the head of the hostage-taker. I am enjoying the game so far, but its not yet evoking the Deus Ex "feel" for me. In a lot of ways, I think gaming has progressed too much to ever have a game that feels like that again.

If you can get by without killing him,
that isn't the last time you see him. He will contact Jensen later if you let him walk away.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Wow the controls take some getting used to. I was hiding behind a desk and the controls went crazy and i was either peaking when i didn't want to peak and aiming when i didn't want to aim...

Then, when I was sick and tired of stealth, I just went gun crazy. But I found it hard to aim. Strange that I didn't have these control issues in Alpha Protocol.

Guards seem to be freakin psychic at times too. I guess I'm just used to having a better radar tell me where they are and being able to run without being detected.

It was funny, I'd opened a door and there was a freaking guard there so I just leaned back and waited for him to turn around. I was so focused on him, I didn't see the OTHER guard circle around and catch me from behind. :p

NOTE TO ALL: I didn't go through the whole thread, but in case you guys got the augmented edition, the extra shit is under TOOLS in Steam and you have to download it :p

I really wish they'd made that clearer...

this game

it owns so much

the hacking owns

the stealth owns

the art owns

the environment owns

the atmosphere owns

the exploration owns

the choice owns

i still haven't killed a single person or fired a single bullet from a lethal gun

i own

Qwomo

I still can't play this game without my eyes hurting.

I guess I should fiddle with the FOV some more, I think I have it at 90 or 95 right now.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
disappeared said:

Anyway, got the game at lunch today. It was $53.99 at Wal-Mart! Came with the "Tactical Enhancement" DLC code. No idea what's in the pack though.

At first I thought his voice was really stupid, too. Not in a forced way, like Batman or David-Hayter-as-Snake stupid, but just kind of a dumb sounding voice. But then I too realized it was a little bit like Timothy Olyphant who I like in Deadwood and Justified and since then it doesn't bother me as much.

disappeared said:

Sniper rifle, shotgun, 10K credits.

Top Bottom