• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Deus Ex: Mankind Divided I Review Thread I I asked for this

Does anyone know if this one connects to the original Deus Ex more than Human Revolution did? Not looking for specifics or spoilers, but just wondering if there is any more of a connection or anything. Story, characters, music, anything really.

That was one of my favorite things about HR. A lot of the architecture had an incredibly strong artistic touch.

Speaking of that, I love this spot of design I took a screenshot of.

q9NK4z1.png

Deadbeat

Banned
Question to those that played it: Do you got to high tech places like the base below Montreal, or the Belltower building? Cause I love going to high end places and looting armories. Its the first thing I look for.

etta

my hard graphic balls
NXGamer first contact has the Xbox version dropping to 28-29 sometimes, the harder drops are to low 20s, PS4 in the same spots at mid 20s.
Fawwwwwwk.

Nemesis_

Does anyone know if this one connects to the original Deus Ex more than Human Revolution did? Not looking for specifics or spoilers, but just wondering if there is any more of a connection or anything. Story, characters, music, anything really.

That was one of my favorite things about HR. A lot of the architecture had an incredibly strong artistic touch.

There are some appearances from characters who appeared or were mentioned in the original Deus Ex. Not sure if they are prominent, but they are there. IMO not surprising though, they really only put in those returning characters who made sense to make am appearance timeline wise.

Iceternal

Good thing then that MD sounds be in line with story, variety and length with original DX and HR. I would read OT impressions if you are on the fence about MD because of one GAFfer and few redditor posts.

One hub , disappointing story and 25 hours for both main and side quests ? Nope

One hub, but its rather robust. Disappointing story, well that's what lots of folks thought of HR. 25 hours for a game completion is fine, especially if the experience feels tighter then the original. I mean... anyone who finds this this a NOPE, sure, that's fine, but this is not a terrible game and for some will surpass the original HR. Not a big deal. Both great games imo.

Tovarisc

If hub is well done I don't personally care so much, 2-3 would have been nice sure. Disappointing story is up to personal taste as it's very subjective thing, and story has never been Oscar material in any DX game. 25-30 hours sound like average playthrough time for DX game, like even pointed out earlier in this thread.

Trevelyan

Banned
My apologies if been asked. How big is the hub in this? i know there's only one, but I'd prefer if if still was still medium sized but densely packed.

Tovarisc

My apologies if been asked. How big is the hub in this? i know there's only one, but I'd prefer if if still was still medium sized but densely packed.

Some reviews gave impression that it's larger than HR hubs combined with a lots more density when it comes to detail and content.

Iceternal

If hub is well done I don't personally care so much, 2-3 would have been nice sure. Disappointing story is up to personal taste as it's very subjective thing, and story has never been Oscar material in any DX game. 25-30 hours sound like average playthrough time for DX game, like even pointed out earlier in this thread.

It's not so much about a subjective opinion on the story but rather than the story seems to be cut in half and that a lot of plot points don't get resolved and the ending is atrocious.

nOoblet16

It's not so much about a subjective opinion on the story but rather than the story seems to be cut in half and that a lot of plot points don't get resolved and the ending is atrocious.
I'll say it is a subjective opinion because to me the game does not seem to be cut in half, what's there is plentiful. I should be finishing this in the next hour and so far I haven't felt like anything has been blatantly removed. As for the discussion aboutnhubs, I'll just say if a game has multiple small to medium hubs then that does not necessarily make it better to a game with one large hub. It'll just make the world more believable in the end as it feels more seamless and you don't feel like you cmencoubter invisible walls here and there.

Also most of the plot points have been resolved so far from the way I see it.

Tovarisc

That is a lot of assumptions made from reviews mentioning abrupt ending hence I think you should browse OT for more impressions towards end of the week.

Iceternal

I'll say it is a subjective opinion because to me the game does not seem to be cut in half, what's there is plentiful. I should be finishing this in the next hour and so far I haven't felt like anything has been blatantly removed. As for the discussion aboutnhubs, I'll just say if a game has multiple small to medium hubs then that does not necessarily make it better to a game with one large hub. It'll just make the world more believable in the end as it feels more seamless and you don't feel like you cmencoubter invisible walls here and there.

Also most of the plot points have been resolved so far from the way I see it.

Can you post some spoiler free impressions on the whole game and the ending when you're done please ?

The things people do to deflect criticism.

1 hub and a sudden ending is going to really dampen this game.

For some yes, for others no. It's subjective. Criticism is criticism. In all size and flavors. Apples,oranges, whatever. The take away from all reviews though is it's a solid game with various ways to play and added gameplay to the original.

Or you play it and realise that, hey, it's not so bad. The way people here leap on things as FACT and decide everything about a game based on it is tiresome.

Criticism is fine. I have a lot of complaints against some of my favorite games. But the sudden turn is embarassing. Compiling a post full of the negative aspects of reviews is just as misleading as a positive one. And the swing from anticipation to utter doom and gloom and NMS and ME3 comparisons is embarrassing.

Cubas

I'm 6~7 hours into the game (not sure because there is no in-game clock) and I'm really liking it so far.

The side-quests are great (so far, they are more interesting than the main-story itself), the gameplay is fun as hell (as it was in HR) and, after Fallout 4, it's great to play a game in which you can actually talk your way out of some situations and there are multiple ways to complete a quest.

The only bad thing so far is the performance on the PS4. The game dips to the low-20s in some open environments. And the game's visuals are not even that impressive.

Fordy

I guess not many people have it at this point, but I've redeemed the Square Enix code on their website, which should in turn release the 'day one' goodies. I am unable to find this code on their website. Am I being dumb or impatient as its not out yet?

I have no problem with criticism. When it's basically a couple of people cherry picking any negative feedback they can find and then repeating it ad naseum in post after post, it becomes tiresome. I dislike when people deflect criticism by calling it "concern trolling", but when a couple people litter up the thread with the same concerns over and over, I do think it's a fitting descriptor.

~Kinggi~

Banned
Looking forward to playing this on PC tuesday. Interested in performance. Sounds like a problem, but from what i heard it sounds like texture resolution might be the big killer since it requires 6 gigs of vram or something on ultra.

Glass

Might have to pick up the art book for this one, because a) this art team and b) it has a foreword by Warren Spector.

dlauv

I've been watching gameplay. How come this game has worse animations than Witcher 3?

Pre-ordered btw with the season pass. It's comin' out 3 days before my birthday.

The more I play the more I'm super impressed with just how each area has so many paths or ways to proceed forward with the mission. It's kind of nuts imo.

SJRB

Gold Member
Digital Deluxe comes with it, at least on PC.

The digital deluxe version comes with a 40-page exerpt. Which, if you remember the "art book" that came with Human Revolution could end up being absolute trash.

VnUw4YS.jpg

This is the artbook you'd want. 192 pages, published by Titan and available this Tuesday alongside the game.

Top Bottom