• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Deus Ex: Mankind Divided |OT| We Asked For This

GeNoMe

Just finished my first (Pacifist) run of the game. Next up! As hostile and lethal as I can be.
Loved the ending btw
Kinda ended abruptly though. But I like where they are going with this.

mbpm1

So I'll be honest: I don't understand the dislike I've seen toward the
Miller NSN
segment.

It's like 10 minutes long (and if you have practice with remote hacking that might be stretching it) unless you're going for the no detection achievement for that section and reloading saves, and it's visually striking and unique.
the hardest part was getting lost, but it did take a little while to acclimate to

Dalibor68

Banned
The MGS series had a steady stream of releases and 6 games in the last 15 years. Deus Ex one was released in 2000 and Human Revolution took 11 years to come out, and another 5 for this game.

so how does that lead to the conclusion that they should just forget the canon lol? I literally haven't seen anyone asking for this other than the three people in the thread.

Akai__

Everyone is finishing the game and im still stuck with this M14 crash. This is depressing : /.

I only encountered the Shooting Range crash and it was fixed by simply emptying your inventory. I do wonder... Is your inventory full? Can you drop some of the stuff that you don't need and try? Might be worth a shot.

Of course this is assuming that it is a similiar issue, but for all we know, it could be anything else. Some people also mentioned it had to do with side missions, but I had no issues with those.

Dryk

I just played through Desperate Measures and I'm struggling to not make Mass Effect 3 comparisons. They had a section that helped flesh out the story and they fucking cut it out and sold it. Didn't even try to hide the fact.

ExiledMarkzmen

Neo Member
I only encountered the Shooting Range crash and it was fixed by simply emptying your inventory. I do wonder... Is your inventory full? Can you drop some of the stuff that you don't need and try? Might be worth a shot.

Of course this is assuming that it is a similiar issue, but for all we know, it could be anything else. Some people also mentioned it had to do with side missions, but I had no issues with those.

Darn. I gave it a shot but it still crashed. T_T Guess I gotta wait for the next patch.

Newboi

Is there a better decision of the two?

1. ]Break in to the Palisade Bank Vault
  2. Rescue Allison

I have saves where I have done both, but I'm not sure which decision would be better in the long run? It seems you get more story details and a better key item
when you break into the bank

I'm still having a ton of fun playing this game. The Tesla augment is borderline broken when you are able to increase its distance and take out 4 targets at once lol.

I'm looking forward to completing this game so I can do my combat oriented run.

nOoblet16

Maybe if you provided any arguments at all instead of this empty shitpost reply, something interesting could have come out of it.
It's ironical that you'd say that because you know what is actually shit post?

The first game, even without nostalgia goggles, is so, so much better than this latest overrated, barely-related-to-the-original, poor man's Far Cry with added vents.

If 15 years of advancements in gaming can't even produce a game of the same ambition, scope and overall quality of the original, you can bet your ass it will continue to be relevant for another 15 years.

What is this grand ambition of the first game that lacks here? What scope are you talking about when MD has one the densest hub ever seen in a game. How is it a poor man's Farcry? It's rated in the mid to low 80s..what's so "overrated" about it? Looking at your own post it just seems to say "DE1 is better because it's better and it's so because I say so".

If you've been following this thread then you'd know that I've said enough to make my point and I don't necessarily need to make then again everytime. But since you insist.... perhaps you should first follow your own suggestion and actually say something rather than make vague pointless remarks? Maybe then I'll engage in a conversation over how you are wrong instead of simply stating the obvious without indulging in a discussion.

FYI just checked and failing a hack that does not result in alarm (say, prague apartment door) does NOT fail Foxiest of the Hounds achievement.

If it triggers a search, then yeah, you're busted...

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF

2. Rescue Allison

I have saves where I have done both, but I'm not sure which decision would be better in the long run? It seems you get more story details and a better key item

I'm still having a ton of fun playing this game. The Tesla augment is borderline broken when you are able to increase its distance and take out 4 targets at once lol.

I actually keep forgetting to use the nonlethal augs because takedowns from cover are so good. I usually lure someone to walk towards me by throwing a box, use a takedown from cover, drag the body away and then repeat. It costs nothing but time.

I fully upgraded both Tesla and the PEPS, but I think I've fired Tesla once and never used PEPS. I'm in Prague 3 too. I feel pretty dumb for it.

Dryk

I actually keep forgetting to use the nonlethal augs because takedowns from cover are so good. I usually lure someone to walk towards me by throwing a box, use a takedown from cover, drag the body away and then repeat. It costs nothing but time.
Takedowns are so stupidly overpowered, it really needs to be fixed

S

Steve.1981

Unconfirmed Member
So I'll be honest: I don't understand the dislike I've seen toward the
Miller NSN
segment.

It's like 10 minutes long (and if you have practice with remote hacking that might be stretching it) unless you're going for the no detection achievement for that section and reloading saves, and it's visually striking and unique.

I'll second that. I enjoyed it and it didn't even take me 10 minutes without any previous remote hacking experience, but at the same time I can understand why some people don't like it.

I think it's just that sometimes people don't like being taken out of the story they were playing through and being forced to learn something different that they might not even enjoy doing and which they will never have to do again. Kind of how people didn't like that bit of Far Harbour (which I also enjoyed) where you have to
enter Dima's memories and rebuild them

I think these kind of one-off sections can be very hit or miss.

shiba5

Yeah. As a matter of fact, there was a Twitter exchange between Harvey Smith and some person who expressed his dislike of Dishonored's art style and cited DX:MD as a game worth playing. Harvey explained the reasons, but the most amusing thing he told him was ''And I'm very familiar with Deus Ex franchise, thank you very much'' :D

That's actually hilarious.

Courage

Finished this yesterday and although I wasn't happy with the final third of the game's main questline, it still managed to surprise me in its level design. Prague as a hub, Pallisade Bank, Golem City, the sewers, Dvali compound, London. Closer to the original Deus Ex's sandbox style than what I expected in today's AAA game climate.

I think you get the warning no matter what, it doesn't actually check what you've completed. It's just a general warning that some things in the game will change going forward.

Yeah I think you are right. After posting, I went and found a YouTube guide with all the POIs listed out and I did miss two of them, but after I went and knocked them out and went back to Chikane the game continued to warn me about abandoning side quests.

I triple checked the quests, and the POIs, so I honestly don't know what I could have missed at this point so I just left. Just weird cause I really didn't recall seeing that the first time you fly out so I figured it was because I had unfinished business. /shrug

Thanks for confirming my suspicions though!

It's ironical that you'd say that because you know what is actually shit post?

What is this grand ambition of the first game that lacks here? What scope are you talking about when MD has one the densest hub ever seen in a game. How is it a poor man's Farcry? It's rated in the mid to low 80s..what's so "overrated" about it? Looking at your own post it just seems to say "DE1 is better because it's better and it's so because I say so".

If you've been following this thread then you'd know that I've said enough to make my point and I don't necessarily need to make then again everytime. But since you insist.... perhaps you should first follow your own suggestion and actually say something rather than make vague pointless remarks? Maybe then I'll engage in a conversation over how you are wrong instead of simply stating the obvious without indulging in a discussion.
Okay. Not sure where to start. Let's start from the top!
What is this grand ambition of the first game that lacks here?
If you're not aware of the impact the first Deus Ex had at the time of release, I'd suggest you educate yourself on that. It was mind-blowing at the time and in some ways, still is.

What scope are you talking about when MD has one the densest hub ever seen in a game. How is it a poor man's Farcry? It's rated in the mid to low 80s..what's so "overrated" about it?
Dense in this context means that the hub is small yet packed with content. I think this is one of the game's issues. A larger scope would mean a larger environment that would probably be less dense! More on that and your other questions later (or actually, earlier). What's overrated about a 80+ Metacritic is that I think it should be much lower. I would think that's obvious :) For the record, I'm thinking somewhere in the 60 region.

If you've been following this thread then you'd know that I've said enough to make my point and I don't necessarily need to make then again everytime
How dandy! If you followed the thread, I wouldn't have to post the link below where I've outlined many of my gripes with the game, a mere 6 pages ago :) Please forgive me; I'm not going to search 121 pages of posts to find your earlier posts.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=215828601&postcount=5715

Maybe then I'll engage in a conversation over how you are wrong instead of simply stating the obvious without indulging in a discussion.

Ready, set, go!

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
Takedowns are so stupidly overpowered, it really needs to be fixed
One big thing about the takedowns is that the target has no chance of noticing you in the process.

The problem with the nonlethal augs/weapons is that if you don't use them just right, the target will see you AFTER you shoot them with it, which costs you the ghost bonus if you're going for full stealth. It's pretty dumb that you can headshot a guy with a tranquilizer dart or hit him with a Tesla, and still have the guy count as seeing you as he passes out.

If 3rd game keeps this quality up this may be my fav trilogy of all time. I love HR and MD to death and I really don't know which one I like better.

I have to choose between
Allison and the bank
. It's tough. Any advice? Which one has the better payoff?

Allison has some cool story stuff. The bank is more fun if you haven't already broken into the bank and looted it. (I had already scrubbed the bank clean from top to bottom on my playthrough so I went with Allison.) Doing the bank has another good story payoff near the end of the game.

Ambitious

Allison has some cool story stuff. The bank is more fun if you haven't already broken into the bank and looted it. (I had already scrubbed the bank clean from top to bottom on my playthrough so I went with Allison.) Doing the bank has another good story payoff near the end of the game.

I've already scrubbed the bank clean too, except for the corporate vaults.

I've already scrubbed the bank clean too, except for the corporate vaults.

I would say go with Allison if you want to finally get some payoff with the Church of the Machinegod. Go with the bank if you want a payoff with another character later on in the game (trying to be vague to avoid spoiler...).

I have to choose between
Allison and the bank
. It's tough. Any advice? Which one has the better payoff?

If you're remotely familiar with the events, characters, and history of the original Deus Ex,
the corporate vaults have a nice payoff - at least if you've gotten the appropriate vault keys from the open world. There are 3 optional ones in total for the TYM, Tarvos, and Picus vaults.

If you're remotely familiar with the events, characters, and history of the original Deus Ex,
the corporate vaults have a nice payoff - at least if you've gotten the appropriate vault keys from the open world. There are 3 optional ones in total for the TYM, Tarvos, and Picus vaults.

You can also get into those outside of that quest, though.

Even the
TYM? That's the quest one, right
?

Quest is
Versalife
and it's only obtainable through the main mission. The other vaults have keycards you have to find on your own, and those vaults are accessible from pretty early on, if you take the time to find it.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Even the
TYM? That's the quest one, right
?
The quest one is VersaLife. I assume the smart thing to do if you want to do the Allison quest is first go get the VersaLife key from the car trunk, then go do the Church of the MachineGod stuff. Then you can still do all four vaults. IIRC, the choice doesn't get removed at the point of picking up the trunk stuff.

Quest is
Versalife
and it's only obtainable through the main mission. The other vaults have keycards you have to find on your own, and those vaults are accessible from pretty early on, if you take the time to find it.

Oh, I must've been mistaken.
I was thinking the quest one was TYM, not Versalife.
I must not have ever made it into the
Versalife vault
. Sorry for the misinformation above.

The quest one is VersaLife. I assume the smart thing to do if you want to do the Allison quest is first go get the VersaLife key from the car trunk, then go do the Church of the MachineGod stuff. Then you can still do all four vaults. IIRC, the choice doesn't get removed at the point of picking up the trunk stuff.

Not true unfortunately. There is a way to access both but it requires breaking the collision using Icarus Dash, and it's obviously not handled by the game scripting. (Reddit has that, if you want the interesting but tedious method)

Spoiler reasons:
The key in the trunk is blank. You have to go into the CEO's office to get it coded, at which point you're sealed from the other path thanks to a call from Stanek.

Morts

The quest one is VersaLife. I assume the smart thing to do if you want to do the Allison quest is first go get the VersaLife key from the car trunk, then go do the Church of the MachineGod stuff. Then you can still do all four vaults.

I did not know that was an option. I assumed that if
you do the Allison quest the VersaLife vault disappears (there's some dialog about VersaLife closing their account I think). Are you saying there's a way to do the Allison quest and still get the antidote for Miller?

I was pissed when I finished my first playthrough because I
had the antidote but didn't even know that's what was wrong with Miller, and saw no option to give it to him.

Edit: Answered above

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Not true unfortunately. There is a way to access both but it requires breaking the collision using Icarus Dash, and it's obviously not handled by the game scripting. (Reddit has that, if you want the interesting but tedious method)

Spoiler reasons:
The key in the trunk is blank. You have to go into the CEO's office to get it coded, at which point you're sealed from the other path thanks to a call from Stanek.
Oh, right. Forgot about that. You're right.

Perfo

Thirteen flew over the cuckoo's nest
On PS4 is there any way to check how many hours I've played until now? thx

How far would you say I am?

I just....

finished the mission where I had to choose between infiltrating the bank or finding those responsible for the bombing of the train station.

I've done all the possible side missions up to this point as well.

So how does the game compare to HR? How does the soundtrack compare???

I had it pre-ordered and it was delivered on release day, but I haven't been in the mood to play much of anything these past few weeks so I haven't gotten around to it yet. Still curious as to how it is though. HR was in my top 3 last gen.

Azzanadra

2. Rescue Allison

I would go for the bank because
You get to save Miller, who is IMO the best side-character in the game.

Big warning for anyone thinking of going for the platinum trophy: Spend an hour or two in breach mode, and see how you like it. Because you need to do 20+ hours of breach missions for the trophy, over dozens of "servers". After getting up to network_2a, which i assume is tier 2, and still not getting the trophy for tier 1 I am just giving up. You have to clear every single server on every tier for each of the 3 trophies, and that is JRPG levels of grinding.

Breach mode is just god awful, not fun at all, and feels way too much like a f2p game that constantly shovels the idea that you should maybe buy some stuff in the cash shop to make the game easier. Its completely the opposite of fun for me at this point, while that and the nightmare run are the only things left for the platinum for me I am not going to bother.

Ironically the one thing they put in the game to maybe extend the longevity is the one thing that will make me trade in the game and definitely give it a thumbs down to anyone who asks if they should play DX-MD at full price.

Azzanadra

Big warning for anyone thinking of going for the platinum trophy: Spend an hour or two in breach mode, and see how you like it. Because you need to do 20+ hours of breach missions for the trophy, over dozens of "servers". After getting up to network_2a, which i assume is tier 2, and still not getting the trophy for tier 1 I am just giving up. You have to clear every single server on every tier for each of the 3 trophies, and that is JRPG levels of grinding.

Breach mode is just god awful, not fun at all, and feels way too much like a f2p game that constantly shovels the idea that you should maybe buy some stuff in the cash shop to make the game easier. Its completely the opposite of fun for me at this point, while that and the nightmare run are the only things left for the platinum for me I am not going to bother.

Ironically the one thing they put in the game to maybe extend the longevity is the one thing that will make me trade in the game and definitely give it a thumbs down to anyone who asks if they should play DX-MD at full price.

Can't believe time and money actually went into that dreck, think of what it could have been used for in the main game... god.

Top Bottom