• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Deus Ex: Mankind Divided |OT| We Asked For This

shiba5

Big warning for anyone thinking of going for the platinum trophy: Spend an hour or two in breach mode, and see how you like it. Because you need to do 20+ hours of breach missions for the trophy, over dozens of "servers". After getting up to network_2a, which i assume is tier 2, and still not getting the trophy for tier 1 I am just giving up. You have to clear every single server on every tier for each of the 3 trophies, and that is JRPG levels of grinding.

Breach mode is just god awful, not fun at all, and feels way too much like a f2p game that constantly shovels the idea that you should maybe buy some stuff in the cash shop to make the game easier. Its completely the opposite of fun for me at this point, while that and the nightmare run are the only things left for the platinum for me I am not going to bother.

Ironically the one thing they put in the game to maybe extend the longevity is the one thing that will make me trade in the game and definitely give it a thumbs down to anyone who asks if they should play DX-MD at full price.

Bummer, that was the last stuff I had to do. Sounds like shit so I probably won't bother.

Can't believe time and money actually went into that dreck, think of what it could have been used for in the main game... god.

That is not how development usually goes. Money wasn't taken out of the SP teams budget to make this, it was made separately and budgeted for such. And considering Eidos Montreal delivered a sequel almost identical to the original in every imaginable way from mission/power up/mechanics, they wouldn't have made any real use of those resources anyway.

It so weird to have enjoyed this game as much as I did and yet be so angry how they fucking wasted 5 years to make an expansion pack level sequel.

I really missed HR's ceilings while playing this game:

http://imgur.com/a/FDAbV

Granted it did make thematic sense since MD is set after the collapse of this cyber renaissance era or w/e but I missed them nonetheless. There was a couple alright ceilings but overall HR is still #1 in game ceilings.

Granted it did make thematic sense since MD is set after the collapse of this cyber renaissance era or w/e but I missed them nonetheless. There was a couple alright ceilings but overall HR is still #1 in game ceilings.
It's sort of more of an installation I suppose, though a 'ceiling' from the lower floor... But whatever it is...

https://youtu.be/d_K4UHfLuGg?t=374

The Palisade Bank 'shifting sands' installation is pretty awesome.

Same with Utelek Complex IMO... kinda in a depressing salvaged sort of way, but the amount of art detail in the lightning, the sort of infrastructure (food, water, security) kinda leaves me in awe... I just walk around the city HUDless and stare both times I played the game haha.

That said, yeah... I sort of missed the more futurist/cyberpunk renaissance art of Human Revolution, and especially some of the rooms like Adam's apartment, Sarif or Zhao Yun Ru's offices, etc... game had such awesome art. MD is wicked too but it's much less 'cyber renaissance' more bleak, dystopic, almost clinical.
So how does the game compare to HR? How does the soundtrack compare???
Just as good IMO... it starts off a bit weaker but as you get more into it, there's some awesome subtlely to tracks like the main 'HQ' track that kinda pays homage to UNATCO, and the 'night' tracks are awesome.

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
So how does the game compare to HR? How does the soundtrack compare???

I had it pre-ordered and it was delivered on release day, but I haven't been in the mood to play much of anything these past few weeks so I haven't gotten around to it yet. Still curious as to how it is though. HR was in my top 3 last gen.
If you liked HR then I think you'll like MD. MD seems seems to be a more realized implementation of a lot of the ideas that HR had, while kind of being a little cut back at the same time. So the level design is better, the sense of progression in the main hub is better as time passes, the conversations are more dynamic and there are more "important"/CASIE conversations, and your major choices have more consequences.

Length and scope-wise I think it's somewhat less ambitious than HR did, but it delivers a more consistent experience as a result. There's no drastic dropoff in quality near the end like HR had, and despite the way the story kind of abruptly ends and screams at a sequel in MD, I really liked the final level. The game's ending also more effort into giving you feedback on what you did throughout the game.

The music is excellent. The composer was definitely on point.

Hystzen

The low voice volume on cutscenes is pissing me off have turn up volume then turn it instantly down before I turn deaf when pings back to gameplay. Changed settings on ps4 and tv not fixed it still

Just finished. Great game.
The ending wasn't as abrupt as people were claiming. I was expecting a Halo 2 ending, but it was more of a Mass Effect 2 ending, which I'm fine with.
I didn't feel ripped off or that it was missing content either. Im happy with what I got.

So I had a lot of fun with the game, but will admit I feel a bit left down that this is what we got after 5 years of development.

I started a "I Never Asked For This" playthrough (and was considering doing a NG+ playthrough as well), but the game (and all its DX1 hints/connections) has me wanting to replay the original again. If there's interest I'm considering putting a thread together where people can sort of replay the first together and post thoughts as we go along. Anybody here interested?

Just as good IMO... it starts off a bit weaker but as you get more into it, there's some awesome subtlely to tracks like the main 'HQ' track that kinda pays homage to UNATCO, and the 'night' tracks are awesome.

If you liked HR then I think you'll like MD. MD seems seems to be a more realized implementation of a lot of the ideas that HR had, while kind of being a little cut back at the same time. So the level design is better, the sense of progression in the main hub is better as time passes, the conversations are more dynamic and there are more "important"/CASIE conversations, and your major choices have more consequences.

Length and scope-wise I think it's somewhat less ambitious than HR did, but it delivers a more consistent experience as a result. There's no drastic dropoff in quality near the end like HR had, and despite the way the story kind of abruptly ends and screams at a sequel in MD, I really liked the final level. The game's ending also more effort into giving you feedback on what you did throughout the game.

The music is excellent. The composer was definitely on point.

Thank you both for the replies.

Dryk

the conversations are more dynamic and there are more "important"/CASIE conversations, and your major choices have more consequences.
This is something that really stood out to me because I loved the conversation battles in HR and it was great to see them throw more of them into MD. It feels like basically every sidequest and chunk of the main quest have parts where you try to talk someone down (though not all of them are ultimately winnable afaik).

I didn't feel ripped off or that it was missing content either. Im happy with what I got.
Play Desperate Measures and that feeling will rub off just a little :p

DeaDPo0L84

Came home ready to start my NG+ but cant because my save file has DLC and since PSN is down it wont load any of my saves. This is such an odd situation as I have never experienced this before.

Gator86

The low voice volume on cutscenes is pissing me off have turn up volume then turn it instantly down before I turn deaf when pings back to gameplay. Changed settings on ps4 and tv not fixed it still

The absolute worst audio mixing I have experienced in 20 years of gaming. Just fucking abominable and whoever let it happen should be sitting in the corner until their next game ships.

So I had a lot of fun with the game, but will admit I feel a bit left down that this is what we got after 5 years of development.

I started a "I Never Asked For This" playthrough (and was considering doing a NG+ playthrough as well), but the game (and all its DX1 hints/connections) has me wanting to replay the original again. If there's interest I'm considering putting a thread together where people can sort of replay the first together and post thoughts as we go along. Anybody here interested?

Yeah, it doesn't feel like 5 years of development. Feels like Square-Enix was reluctant to continue the franchise and we had no idea there would even be a new one until those concept art and gif leaks out of nowhere the day before the reveal trailer. It doesn't feel as complete as Human Revolution in some ways.

I already started a GMDX playthrough of the original and am almost to LaGuardia.

Yeah, it doesn't feel like 5 years of development. Feels like Square-Enix was reluctant to continue the franchise and we had no idea there would even be a new one until those concept art and gif leaks out of nowhere the day before the reveal trailer. It doesn't feel as complete as Human Revolution in some ways.

Yeah, its following the formula of HR so closely and fixes nearly none of the problems that game had, while offering an ultimately shorter experience. They also didn't really address any of the issues that the devs themselves pointed out in the HR Director's Cut commentary. That commentary initially got me really hyped for a sequel -- the people making these games are really smart and they knew exactly what was good and what needed improvement. But they weren't really able to apply that knowledge to Mankind Divided for whatever reason.

I already started a GMDX playthrough of the original and am almost to LaGuardia.

I'll probably go ahead and make that thread sometime tonight or tomorrow, if you want to stop by.

Yeah, its following the formula of HR so closely and fixes nearly none of the problems that game had, while offering an ultimately shorter experience. They also didn't really address any of the issues that the devs themselves pointed out in the HR Director's Cut commentary. That commentary initially got me really hyped for a sequel -- the people making these games are really smart and they knew exactly what was good and what needed improvement. But they weren't really able to apply that knowledge to Mankind Divided for whatever reason.

What bugs me is how they set up interesting characters and then don't follow through with them at all. Sarif being a baseball fan and playing with the baseball while he talks made it seem like he had some kind of potentially tragic backstory. No, he's just a guy who likes baseball and augmentations. The cryptic shit Namir says and his theme make him seem like a very important and possibly sympathetic character, but none of it is addressed or elaborated upon in-game. And then this game goes and does the same thing with Macready, Aria, Miller, Vega, probably someone else as well. In a way it makes it more realistic and believable that you can only get so close to people, rather than solving everybody's personal problems and helping them with their laundry like a BioWare game would have you do, but there's definitely wasted potential.

Azzanadra

That is not how development usually goes. Money wasn't taken out of the SP teams budget to make this, it was made separately and budgeted for such. And considering Eidos Montreal delivered a sequel almost identical to the original in every imaginable way from mission/power up/mechanics, they wouldn't have made any real use of those resources anyway.

It so weird to have enjoyed this game as much as I did and yet be so angry how they fucking wasted 5 years to make an expansion pack level sequel.

Yo honestly, of all the games I have played this year.... Mankind Divided is my fucking GOTY, better than Uncharted 4 and even Dark Souls 3. The only games that could challenge this title for me are The Last Guardian and Dishonored 2, but I am so fucking pissed for some reason. My first time playing the first game and Human Revolution were absolutely magical experiences, my time with this franchise constitute some of the best experiences of my gaming life, no game worlds have ever immersed me more. Point is, this franchise means a lot to me, so with Mankind Divided, I am feeling a strange combination of awe, disappointment and hope.

I wish it was longer, I wish the characters were better, I wish the story progressed in a meaningful manner, I wish....

Gah, just thinking about my feelings about this game make me confused.

mbpm1

I definitely wouldn't be v happy if I'd been anticipating this game much

Since I basically forgot about HR for a while this hit me more

Just finished the game for the fourth time. The last time was on I never asked for this and I did the foxiest of the hounds achievement. This game is so much fun. I really like it. I just wish they would let you skip the credits now lol.

On NG+ when they let you pick a weapon at the beginning, what happens if your inventory's full?

Also, on PS4 where can you see how many hours you've played?

On NG+ when they let you pick a weapon at the beginning, what happens if your inventory's full?

Also, on PS4 where can you see how many hours you've played?
To me it seemed like the entire default inventory is just replaced by the one you ended the game with... So the pistol I chose was missing but so was everything else you start with, e.g. nanoblades (or I think typhoon ammo?). I never really compared it or anything... it's just nothing from the default inventory was there and it seemed the same as the one I ended the game with.

malfcn

I did the side mission at the bank, and pretty much got into everything. But there is another elevator for the corporate vault that I didn't find a key for. Later on, or did I miss something? Only on mission 5 story wide.

DX12 update when? It's supposed to be out this week, right?

I'm itching to replay with NG+, but I'm holding out for the DX12 update.

Djostikk

I started playing Breach today, finished two tiers, third one almost done too. It's not that long(not 20hrs of course), and it gets pretty easy when you figure out how to quickly downland data and just run away. Cloak is OP again.

I did the side mission at the bank, and pretty much got into everything. But there is another elevator for the corporate vault that I didn't find a key for. Later on, or did I miss something? Only on mission 5 story wide.
sort of missed something.... but it's rather unconventional (it's not even in the bank per se...). and you can still find it though for a long time, and the story also will lead there too and give you a more conventional way to that area.

So this GARM level is boring as shit and annoying to play as stealth.
Especially since I picked Miller to start so the second half is all shoot to kill soldiers.
Seriously, I was excited to see what they would do with this location but then it's just the inside of two hangars. The wide open spaces and auto alarm state had me really abusing the save system and the enemy AI which was not fun art all. Glad it's over. Hopefully there are no other forced alarns in the game.

Akuun

Uh, when are the pacifist and foxiest of the hounds achievements supposed to ding? I just finished my run and have neither achivement.

BadHand

Uh, when are the pacifist and foxiest of the hounds achievements supposed to ding? I just finished my run and have neither achivement.

You need to obsessively check each body to make sure that the guard didn't randomly bump his head and die after they fell unconscious.

JTCx

Just finished. Great game.
The ending wasn't as abrupt as people were claiming. I was expecting a Halo 2 ending, but it was more of a Mass Effect 2 ending, which I'm fine with.

No, Mass Effect 2 you can clearly see how the game goes from beginning, middle, and end. You know you're at the final act of the game because of all the build up to the finale. The problem with MD was that there was no sort of build up whatsoever. When you finally find out who the villain is the game ends. I seriously thought the whole last section of the game was only halfway through the story.

GARM felt a little too big with a bit too little content

Its an issue i have with the game, everything seems so big but offers so little.

shiba5

So this GARM level is boring as shit and annoying to play as stealth.
Especially since I picked Miller to start so the second half is all shoot to kill soldiers.
Seriously, I was excited to see what they would do with this location but then it's just the inside of two hangars. The wide open spaces and auto alarm state had me really abusing the save system and the enemy AI which was not fun art all. Glad it's over. Hopefully there are no other forced alarns in the game.

It is pretty boring, but you can get through the level in like 5 minutes if you use the drill.

When the credits hit.

Thought the game was wonderful, did 3 playthroughs (Pacifist, NG+ Foxiest and lethal and I Didn't Ask For This.

Finishing Breach Mode for the trophies/platinum but what a shitshow that mode is. Has all the Square-Enix money grabbing transaction stink over it. Also, not interesting to play. At least it's separated from the main game.

As a pharmacist I had a chuckle over the experimental drug name "Thanazepam" from one of the Darknet Files in Breach mode.

Djostikk

Finishing Breach Mode for the trophies/platinum but what a shitshow that mode is.

I'm surprised there are some choices in dialogues. During second darknet case I chose to get money and "Ripper Boss" said how a bad person I'm and that I won't get the final reward.

Big warning for anyone thinking of going for the platinum trophy: Spend an hour or two in breach mode, and see how you like it. Because you need to do 20+ hours of breach missions for the trophy, over dozens of "servers". After getting up to network_2a, which i assume is tier 2, and still not getting the trophy for tier 1 I am just giving up. You have to clear every single server on every tier for each of the 3 trophies, and that is JRPG levels of grinding.

Breach mode is just god awful, not fun at all, and feels way too much like a f2p game that constantly shovels the idea that you should maybe buy some stuff in the cash shop to make the game easier. Its completely the opposite of fun for me at this point, while that and the nightmare run are the only things left for the platinum for me I am not going to bother.

Ironically the one thing they put in the game to maybe extend the longevity is the one thing that will make me trade in the game and definitely give it a thumbs down to anyone who asks if they should play DX-MD at full price.
Yep. I'm a big trophy person and like the game quite a bit but I refuse to proceed in Breach. Those three bronze trophies for completing it will remain us completed. I did everything else.

I think it's the sad reality of AAA game development today if someone felt that was a legitimately good idea that a large amount of people would enjoy or it was necessary to make sure the game was profitable. The microtransactions are shameless.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise

The restrooms in London
had sweet ceilings.

Djostikk

Got Platinum finally. Game is awesome, replayed 4 times total, but that Breach is just complete F2P rip-off, latest levels are pure JRPG with one huge sponge enemy, damn, I'm glad this is all over.

c0626f9d82dc5799968440d8538223a5.jpg

I'll probably go ahead and make that thread sometime tonight or tomorrow, if you want to stop by.

I'm confused by a comment like this. In my eyes, where MD seems to fall short (haven't finished it yet) is sometimes weird presentation and writing and characters and a less distinct artistic touch. However, gameplay wise I think they learned from HR a lot and made a better game to play on almost every front. The level design is some of the best I've played since the original Deus Ex, the combat is more flexible, the stealth has more options and the exploration is godly. You have to be blind to say they didn't make improvements, although yes, they did fall short in some ways. Unless the ending has Jensen revealing himself as Neo and they are all living in the Matrix, this will be my GOTY.

Akuun

You need to obsessively check each body to make sure that the guard didn't randomly bump his head and die after they fell unconscious.

When the credits hit.

Thanks. Looks like I got Pacifist but not Foxiest after the credits finished rolling (why are they so long and unskippable?), which is odd because I never set off an alarm and never got the alarm tutorial prompt. Sucks.

Did anyone else
break into Otar's lair while exploring and stumble upon the Calibrator in his office?
Otar and his team are hostile towards me and I can't seem to speak with him. Did I blow the chance to
get Otar's side mission in Golem City
? Is there any way to still speak with him?

I'm confused by a comment like this. In my eyes, where MD seems to fall short (haven't finished it yet) is sometimes weird presentation and writing and characters and a less distinct artistic touch. However, gameplay wise I think they learned from HR a lot and made a better game to play on almost every front. The level design is some of the best I've played since the original Deus Ex, the combat is more flexible, the stealth has more options and the exploration is godly. You have to be blind to say they didn't make improvements, although yes, they did fall short in some ways. Unless the ending has Jensen revealing himself as Neo and they are all living in the Matrix, this will be my GOTY.

I'm not blind and I also didn't say they made no improvements. What I said was that they didn't really address any of the problems HR had (problems that the devs themselves pointed out). And on top of that, the game has less content.

It's a good game and a lot of fun, but not something that should have taken 5 years. HR took 5 years as well, and they had to re-invent the DX1 formula in modern terms and build up a story and cast of characters all from scratch. They managed to do all of that really well and still have more content than Mankind Divided. MD refines a couple of those ideas and made one really good hub, but ultimately recycled a lot of what we saw in HR. They must have gone through all sorts of development hell for this game to take that long.

BY2K

Membero Americo

Are you SURE you did all Tier 1 levels? Some of them are outside the main "island" of levels. Look around.

Regginator

Did anyone else
break into Otar's lair while exploring and stumble upon the Calibrator in his office?
Otar and his team are hostile towards me and I can't seem to speak with him. Did I blow the chance to
get Otar's side mission in Golem City
? Is there any way to still speak with him?

They'll talk to you if
you go in the front door the first time.
Otherwise not

Ah, so that's why I missed this side quests. I just sneaked and ghosted to the office to get the
calibrator
. Oh well, next run then.

Gator86

Thanks. Looks like I got Pacifist but not Foxiest after the credits finished rolling (why are they so long and unskippable?), which is odd because I never set off an alarm and never got the alarm tutorial prompt. Sucks.

Yup, same. It makes me kind of salty toward the game even though it's probably #2 on my game of the year list.

mbpm1

Ah, so that's why I missed this side quests. I just sneaked and ghosted to the office to get the
calibrator
. Oh well, next run then.

I made nice the first time with him, but on this run I just popped him in the head. Satisfying knowing I don't have to bother with some quests later on.

chrixter

To those having trouble getting Foxiest even though you never got the alarm tutorial prompt,
the final boss
could be throwing your run off. Make sure you're getting the Smooth Operator bonus there.

Using the killswitch guarantees it, but taking him down normally, even seemingly without being seen doesn't work 100%. Some people seem to pull it off while others can't. Staying cloaked the whole time, disabling his security, stunning him from behind and doing a takedown didn't get me Smooth Operator, but using the killswitch did.

Top Bottom