• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Deus Ex: Mankind Divided |OT| We Asked For This

Nearing the end of the game now, been trying to stretch out the experience as much as possible. I've managed to do every side-quest and non-lethally ghost through every situation. I think the game started off on the wrong foot with
day time being your entry into Prague for a fairly extended period of time. Deus Ex has almost entirely been about night or at the very least with HR, the setting sun as a backdrop so it was odd to just be walking about in the daytime at all, let alone in the introduction. I felt far more at home returning later on under the cover of night.

painey

REALLY enjoying this game (except for the shitty ebook collecting). Sales figures are disappointing, but understandable seeing as this is so similar to the last one that people probably either didn't wanna pay full price for the same game, or didn't even know this was a new one.

Side Mission 08 isn't appearing for me even though I have fulfilled all of the prerequisites:
Convo boss battle won, did the side mission in Golem city, finished All in the Family once returning to Prague.

Gator86

Yup, the exact same thing happened to me.

zj82sg6wkcwzc3edwyfz.jpg

Applesauce

Boom! Bitch-slapped!
Side Mission 08 isn't appearing for me even though I have fulfilled all of the prerequisites:
Convo boss battle won, did the side mission in Golem city, finished All in the Family once returning to Prague.

IIRC this one doesn't start until you're contacted by
Koller
, after you complete one of the main missions.

This is neck and neck with Uncharted 4 for my GOTY so far. I'm enjoying the hell out of this game. I read about the disappointing sales figures in the other thread and it makes me really sad. I really hope this isn't the end of the series.

This is neck and neck with Uncharted 4 for my GOTY so far. I'm enjoying the hell out of this game. I read about the disappointing sales figures in the other thread and it makes me really sad. I really hope this isn't the end of the series.

Square Enix has already invested so much in the "Deus Ex Universe" that this definitely won't be the end of the series yet. Especially considering the rumors that the sequel to Mankind Divided began production last year. The next one would have to tank for the series to potentially be RIP I think.

Hopefully for the next one they improve their marketing dramatically, keep the microtransaction BS out of it, and let the team make a full game.

Hambone

Just finished my first play though as a pacifist on normal difficulty. What a great game, and excellent sequel in the franchise. Didn't progress the main story until I explored and sniffed out every possible piece of xp available, so I ended the game with most of my augs maxed.

Now for New Game+ on 'Give Me Deus Ex' difficulty where I will shoot every last mother fucker in the face with the
Devastator Shotgun
I found in the very last mission. No stuns, tranquilizer darts, or sleeping gas. Frag grenades, bullets, and sharp metal object through abdomens is the only way I'm playing. :)

Square Enix has already invested so much in the "Deus Ex Universe" that this definitely won't be the end of the series yet. Especially considering the rumors that the sequel to Mankind Divided began production last year. The next one would have to tank for the series to potentially be RIP I think.

Hopefully for the next one they improve their marketing dramatically, keep the microtransaction BS out of it, and let the team make a full game.
It's really weird, now that I think about it, that square went in three completely different directions with their three big "western" franchises.
Tomb raider - timed exclusive
Deus ex - microtransactions, weird singeplayer mod
Hitman - episodic, always online
It's even weirder that Hitman's model seemed to have worked out the best?

I remember those threads about Square's crazy sale expectations for the first tomb raider game but I never expected them to experiment this much.

Just finished. Slightly disappointing overall after the incredible HR, but still a spanking good time aside from all the bugs. This would have done well to use another year in the oven. A solid 7/10 though.

Orcastar

Just finished my first playthrough last night. Took me around 40 hours according to Steam; I really don't understand how some people can finish this in less than 20 hours without skipping any sidequests. Anyway, awesome game, can't wait for the sequel, makes me want to replay the original Deus Ex and HR, 9/10.

S

Steve.1981

Unconfirmed Member
Got a couple of quick questions, I'll spoiler just in case,

I'm getting what looks like an endgame warning before I can leave Prague and head to the GARM facility where Marchenko is hiding out. It seems a bit soon for that, but fair enough. My problem is that I have a side mission active, "The Mystery Augs", the one about the experimental augmentations, and there seems to be no way to progress it any further since I found Orlov's dead body.

Have I missed something really obvious? I don't want to leave the city, it's warning me that any missions in progress will be scrubbed if I head to GARM.

Also, where and when do you start the Desperate Measures dlc? I've installed it, but I don't remember doing a mission with that name and it's not in my mission history. I seem to have missed side missions 3 and 9 though.

Cheers in advance for any replies.

Akai__

Got a couple of quick questions, I'll spoiler just in case,

I'm getting what looks like an endgame warning before I can leave Prague and head to the GARM facility where Marchenko is hiding out. It seems a bit soon for that, but fair enough. My problem is that I have a side mission active, "The Mystery Augs", the one about the experimental augmentations, and there seems to be no way to progress it any further since I found Orlov's dead body.

Have I missed something really obvious? I don't want to leave the city, it's warning me that any missions in progress will be scrubbed if I head to GARM.

Also, where and when do you start the Desperate Measures dlc? I've installed it, but I don't remember doing a mission with that name and it's not in my mission history. I seem to have missed side missions 3 and 9 though.

Cheers in advance for any replies.

GARM is not the end-game, yet. Don't want to spoil too much, but you will continue your Mystery Augs after GARM and that actually should be SM03. That one carries over.

As for Desperate Measures. It's accessible through the Main Menu under Jensen's stories. It takes place after the train bombing and people say it's best to play after you already went to Ruzicka Station.

If you want, I can tell you the location of SM09, without spoiling it for you.

S

Steve.1981

Unconfirmed Member
GARM is not the end-game, yet. Don't want to spoil too much, but you will continue your Mystery Augs after GARM and that actually should be SM03. That one carries over.

As for Desperate Measures. It's accessible through the Main Menu under Jensen's stories. It takes place after the train bombing and people say it's best to play after you already went to Ruzicka Station.

If you want, I can tell you the location of SM09, without spoiling it for you.

Thank you! I'm an idiot, I should've noticed SM03 was the one I had in progress. I'll search for 09 before leaving the city. Cheers again.

BeeDog

Quick question regarding what path to take (spoilers):

From a story, gameplay and collectible POV, which path is best to take, saving the bomb-maker's daughter or breaking into the bank? I've been through Palisade once already, but I also wanna grab as many trophies as possible in my current run.

Akai__

Quick question regarding what path to take (spoilers):

From a story, gameplay and collectible POV, which path is best to take, saving the bomb-maker's daughter or breaking into the bank? I've been through Palisade once already, but I also wanna grab as many trophies as possible in my current run.

Palisade Bank has an story item that is important for an achievement later on and it has an eBook. The Bomb Maker loaction is also accessible no matter what decision you make, which the bank isn't.

SJRB

Gold Member
Palisade Bank has an story item that is important for an achievement later on and it has an eBook. The Bomb Maker loaction is also accessible no matter what decision you make, which the bank isn't.

...I fucked up, I suppose.

Kinda daft how the game locks you out, honestly.

Akai__

...I fucked up, I suppose.

Kinda daft how the game locks you out, honestly.

Yeah, I don't like it either. Especially not knowing how the next part will consider these choices.

That poster is wrong.
the church is locked out if you go the bank route instead

Uhm nope. You can immediately travel to the church, after you are done with the bank. All the doors are open excpet the top floor.

Not saying you can do the mission, but you can visit the place and collect stuff like eBooks and other collectibles.

Any way of knowing where and when side quests pop up? Or am I going to have to look at a guide? I thought I got them all during my first playthrough but I'm missing a few trophies.

Also, it's disappointing that only your augs and inventory carries over on new game + but not all yoir other collectibles. Pocket secretaries and story items don't need to be carried over, but stuff like triangle codes and Ebooks should. Same with instructions, just so they don't pop up anymore.

Applesauce

Boom! Bitch-slapped!
Not saying you can do the mission, but you can visit the place and collect stuff like eBooks and other collectibles.

But you have to do the mission there to get the item from the bomb maker. Both missions contain a valuable story item, and you can't do both.

I always go with the bank over the bomb maker.

Akai__

But you have to do the mission there to get the item from the bomb maker. Both missions contain a valuable story item, and you can't do both.

I always go with the bank over the bomb maker.

And only one story item is relevant to what the poster asked, which is the achievement that results from the bank story item.

Akai__

That's true, you can do cleanup. Do you remember where you get the
keycard
though?

All Keycards:

- VersaLife story related
- TYM: Find Orlov's apartment in the courtyard behind TF29
- Tarvos Security: Basement in the Sobchak’s Security store.
- Picus: In the Libuse Apartment. Apartment #94

All Keycards:

- VersaLife story related
- TYM: Find Orlov's apartment in the courtyard behind TF29
- Tarvos Security: Basement in the Sobchak’s Security store.
- Picus: In the Libuse Apartment. Apartment #94

Those are not the keycards
to open the church gate.

Been really enjoying this so far. Its like Human Revolution, but with more refined mechanics and better visuals overall.

I hit a brick wall though the other night though. I was running this mission - no spoilers - and found a way to progress if I had the ability to move through a gas clogged vent, which I couldn't, or if I could bust a hole in a wall, which I also couldn't. I felt trapped pretty early on because I chose to focus on hacking rather than those other augs, and felt I was getting penalized or put into a corner, so after an hour of looking around I put the game away for the night.

Picked it back up last night, tried all my blocked paths again, and tried to find another path, again to no end, and was about to give up when I just fucked around and knocked some crates over in a supply closet - and lo and behold, I found a new vent I could crawl through. Nice.

You're back in my good graces Deus Ex :)

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
Anyone have any clue why this game seems to run better on console architecture? I've watched streams of it being played on PS4 and very high end PC hardware and there tends to be so much more stuttering in the latter, no matter how high the framerate--especially waking around in Prague.

Why is this a thing?

Haven't quite finished this yet, I'm finding the second half of the game to be somewhat of a downturn from the first half. I loved exploring Prague at first and the entire
Golem City
sequence was amazing, but after it when you return to Prague things just start to get boring and monotonous. The issue of having a single hub really came to light there: if you've already explore all of Prague on the first visit, nothing really changes on the second. There's the Red Light District to explore and a couple new side missions, but nothing really substantial or interesting. Then you go off to
GARM
which I had high hopes for after
Golem City
, but turned out to be kind of boring.

Actually, I'm so tired of the game at this point (I have 50+ hours on file...) and just want to finish it that I broke away from my attempts at a "neutralize everything" Ghost playthrough to just not caring about being loud. I think this is what I needed, as it's quite fun to just not give a shit anymore. I still try to be somewhat quiet as I still want to avoid alarms and massive firefights, but being able to finally crack out this tricked out Combat Rifle and put it to good use is satisfying.

Honestly, this was motivated by issues I was having in
GARM
with trying to be stealthily lethal as well. In both the original Deus Ex and Human Revolution that was my favorite way to play, but in Mankind Divided that playstyle seems to be actively discouraged. The level design for one just does not work in its favor. It's like the game expects you to either go loud and kill everyone, go quiet and knock out everyone, or ghost through without touching anyone. Lethal and silent does not mix well in this game, nor does it fit very thematically in the early stages at least. After all, if you're supposed to be sympathetic towards ARC why would you kill its soldiers? At first this was fine to me, but when I got to
GARM
where I actually DO want to kill people the deficiencies the game has towards that playstyle became clear.

Shifting my playstyle also made me think on how the experience system the new games have is truly flawed. I feel like I'm being punished now for not trying for ghost, while in the original Deus Ex the lack of such experience (or rather, the fact that skill points were only gained via plot progression) meant you were free to do whatever you want without feeling like you're playing the wrong way. I've managed to brush it off now as I have all the augs I really want anyway, but this is an issue I feel is unfortunately a much bigger deal in this game than the previous, despite its attempts to somewhat balance out the different ways of taking down enemies (I noticed non-lethal takedowns and stun gun headshots reward the same XP, though killing enemies still rewards less). If they want to stick with this system, they really need to award level bonuses for challenges such as killing/knocking out everyone same as the ghost bonus.

Anyway, I suppose I don't have much left to the game now and will hopefully finish it this weekend. And then I have a date with the original Deus Ex planned, now that I've learned about the GMDX mod...

Anyone have any clue why this game seems to run better on console architecture? I've watched streams of it being played on PS4 and very high end PC hardware and there tends to be so much more stuttering in the latter, no matter how high the framerate--especially waking around in Prague.

Why is this a thing?

I haven't had that issue at all on my high end PC hardware.

...and such is the woe of PC games. "It's working fine for me".

mcmmaster

Currently dealing with a crash on the PC version whilst on the loading screen when returning to Prague after mission
13 (g.a.r.m)
, tried lowering my settings but it keeps crashing.

Anyone know of a fix?

Jonbo298

I thought someone mentioned an augmentation that gave free multi-tools. That couldn't be right.

You can, but not in the way you're thinking. If you purchase either the standalone 'Tactical Pack' or Season Pass, you get access to the Micro Assembler Augmentation (fucking Eidos and/or Square-Enix decided to put it as an overclocked aug). Breaks down stuff like weapons or ammo for crafting parts. Which from there you could use to make multi-tools.

You can, but not in the way you're thinking. If you purchase either the standalone 'Tactical Pack' or Season Pass, you get access to the Micro Assembler Augmentation (fucking Eidos and/or Square-Enix decided to put it as an overclocked aug). Breaks down stuff like weapons or ammo for crafting parts. Which from there you could use to make multi-tools.

Why do you dislike that it's a one of the overclocked augs?

painey

just beat it.. jesus, what a shitty way to end it. I won't be supporting them by buying any DLC for this.

Overall, I loved it apart from G.A.R.M. and the finale, which seemed very rushed.

TLS Lex

That feel when you finish the game and get Pacifist on your first run but not Foxiest of the Hounds even though you checked and never even got the alarm tutorial and were really careful with saves >_>

But anyway that's irrelevant, because the game is excellent and well worth another playthrough or ten. Overall took me a lot longer to feel like I was "in the world" again compared to Human Revolution. Something about HR's atmosphere just sucked me right in, MD took a lot longer but still managed it. Definitely up there along with Uncharted 4 as my personal GOTY, but in fairness it doesn't have much competition in terms of the games I actually like to play (yet; the next few months should be interesting).

All in all, I'd recommend. I enjoyed being Adam again. I just kinda wish
the story had been a bit more personal - Malik gets a tiny easter egg which was nice but I'd have liked to have seen her. Then there's Megan. I was waiting for her to be the villain tbh. Actually I was willing that to happen after she was first mentioned (handwaved away, I should say), that would have been neat.

Re: mission choice,
I did the bank and having now read both options I can never imagine not doing the bank, since you can save everyone with that option. I'll definitely try the Allison mission next playthrough, but I'll likely reload to do the bank because I'm weird like that.

Re: the ending,
I avoid spoilers but I was spoiled on the "sequel-bait" aspect and I find myself not really caring. Yes some things are left unresolved, but I feel like as long as they resolve these things in one FINAL Adam Jensen game, I'm good with that.

I have more thoughts but I'm tired and have post-good-game blues.

I apologize if this has been asked a thousand times by now, but I am very VERY anal about missing the trophies related not raising alarms or killing any people in the game. I got burned in Human Revolution by shooting someone during the tutorial mission not thinking it would count towards my achievement. I proceeded to play the entire game non-lethally and it didn't count for jack because of that one person I shot during the tutorial. I can't stand that there aren't any in game notifications or stats to track these things if you did accidentally at one point trip an alarm or kill someone.

My question is: Is there ANY way to check, in game or online, if I have raised an alarm or killed any people? I want to know if I voided my trophy status sooner rather than later.

Much thanks.

Regginator

I apologize if this has been asked a thousand times by now, but I am very VERY anal about missing the trophies related not raising alarms or killing any people in the game. I got burned in Human Revolution by shooting someone during the tutorial mission not thinking it would count towards my achievement. I proceeded to play the entire game non-lethally and it didn't count for jack because of that one person I shot during the tutorial. I can't stand that there aren't any in game notifications or stats to track these things if you did accidentally at one point trip an alarm or kill someone.

My question is: Is there ANY way to check, in game or online, if I have raised an alarm or killed any people? I want to know if I voided my trophy status sooner rather than later.

Much thanks.

The general rule of thumb is to always double check the icon above people's heads after engaging them. If it's a skull, they're dead. If it says "zzz", they're unconscious.

As for alarms, you'll get a notification/tutorial pop-up when it's the first time you've set an alarm. Reload an earlier save when you get this pop-up, because after getting that notification, you won't be able to get Foxiest (unless you reload, of course). If you don't get one, it should mean you've tripped an earlier alarm without you knowing (or without you noticing the first tutorial pop-up).

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Beat this earlier on Give Me Deus Ex, got Foxiest and Pacifist which I'm really happy about since I wasn't sure if I had an alarm trigger or not.

Enjoyed the game a lot but it took a bit to really click for me unlike HR, Prague worked much better for me when it got darker outside.
Golem City
was my standout moment, that level was amazing.

Jonbo298

Why do you dislike that it's a one of the overclocked augs?

A few reasons, for me at least. The chaff aug in the other pack (I unfortunately got the season pass when GMG had the game/pass on sale during pre-order and I wanted to support the devs after how much I loved Human Revolution) is not an overclock aug (when to me, it feels like it should have been also). Plus just the fact that since I got access to the aug by paying, it puts that limitation on me instead of just the usual spending Praxis points.
Not even going to go into my hatred of the 'non-durable' items in the Season Pass.

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
The general rule of thumb is to always double check the icon above people's heads after engaging them. If it's a skull, they're dead. If it says "zzz", they're unconscious.

As for alarms, you'll get a notification/tutorial pop-up when it's the first time you've set an alarm. Reload an earlier save when you get this pop-up, because after getting that notification, you won't be able to get Foxiest (unless you reload, of course). If you don't get one, it should mean you've tripped an earlier alarm without you knowing (or without you noticing the first tutorial pop-up).
I didn't get Foxiest and never got the tutorial popup. Still bothered by that.

Does the first big fight with
the gold masked people have an alarm? Because that was the only fight where I went loud (ran around using Typhoon, etc) because it's such a clusterfuck.

A few reasons, for me at least. The chaff aug in the other pack is not an overclock aug (when to me, it feels like it should have been also). Plus just the fact that since I got access to the aug by paying, it puts that limitation on me instead of just the usual spending Praxis

Points taken, though I guess it's worth noting the over clocking load is not lethal. You can play with ~200% easily. Weird things will happen but your build won't go crazy unless you hit higher loads...

Top Bottom