• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Deus Ex: Mankind Divided |OT| We Asked For This

Easy way to do that Singh mission:

Just sprint to the helicopter and press square on the front left side of it. Done. lol

See, the problem with this is that it's counter-intuitive.
You're asked to disable the helicopter. There's no logical reason why doing so should save the guy you're tasked to save, but the game causes a deus ex machina (how appropriate) to happen. There's no way to predict this except through meta thinking, which is just silly game design. The logical approach tells you that it doesn't matter if you disable the helicopter since the enemy will still be there. By wasting time disabling the helicopter, you'll have even less time to save the guy. That's why so many of us are frustrated. The best solution makes no logical sense.

It's also the kind of encounter that gives you no vision and no time. It's no fun to have plenty of options if you have to use save scumming in order to have any reasonable chance of discovering them.

Lima

I gave this breach mode a try since there is a lot of hate about the microtransactions. The fuck is this? Terrible lol. Did all the tutorial stuff to get a free praxis kit to use in SP.

Whompa02

So uhhhh my game just boots me back to the menu and says the installation is not complete.

When I check the info of the game it says its 46gigs.

What's the deal here? I can't progress without it booting me back to the menu.

Should I re download this or just wait a few more hours? I thought I had installed it over night...it said the game was ready to play. (ps4 version)

Morts

Is the energy system the same as Human Revolution? Where only one 'battery' recharges so it feels useless to spend Praxis to get more?

Kyoufu

You're asked to disable the helicopter. There's no logical reason why doing so should save the guy you're tasked to save, but the game causes a deus ex machina (how appropriate) to happen. There's no way to predict this except through meta thinking, which is just silly game design. The logical approach tells you that it doesn't matter if you disable the helicopter since the enemy will still be there. By wasting time disabling the helicopter, you'll have even less time to save the guy. That's why so many of us are frustrated. The best solution makes no logical sense.

It's also the kind of encounter that gives you no vision and no time. It's no fun to have plenty of options if you have to use save scumming in order to have any reasonable chance of discovering them.

I totally agree, it makes no logical sense, but trying to gun down all those enemies and failing each time made me try something different.

Kyoufu

Is the energy system the same as Human Revolution? Where only one 'battery' recharges so it feels useless to spend Praxis to get more?

Kinda. Some augments don't take a cell, just a fixed amount which will regenerate over time, so it's worth upgrading.

My issue is that the capacity depletes over time so you're forced to use biocells eventually.

ekim

Short question from the very beginning after the intro mission:
Why can Adam walk through the "Naturals" gate and not the Augs gate although he is getting called out for being a Techno after that?

Xumbrega

Banned
Game is like crack, I'm just exploring and doing side missions, already 3h and 20 minutes on it.

The side missions are very good, I'm impressed.

So even though I had guaranteed release date deliver for this Amazon is only just now shipping it out and it will be here tomorrow. I cancelled plans so I could enjoy this tonight.

What are my options here as far as getting Amazon to comp my account or something? Don't guarantee delivery dates if you can't meet them.

This isn't even a FedEx issue- Amazon just didn't ship it out at all till today.

derFeef

I've done that part of the mission while ghosting and without killing anyone in 2 different ways and managed to save the guy.

From my observation what most people seen to be doing is stay on top with a tranquiliser and shoot people from there while being handicapped due to a sandstorm, you could use that sandstorm to your advantage.

Yep that, infact
Go from the left side and use cloak when near enemies to ghost the part. You can even casually walk there if you want to.

Easy way to do that Singh mission:

Just sprint to the helicopter and press square on the front left side of it. Done. lol

That's not thinking outside of the box or "becoming Jensen", that's circumventing bad design imo.

~Kinggi~

Banned
Fuck stealth.
Shotgun is bae.

stealth is certainly not that fun here, especially in the first level. Trying to take dudes out with sniper rifle at helicopter, must have died like 10 times now. Shits weak. Pretty much gonna say fuck it and start mowing everyone down.

So even though I had guaranteed release date deliver for this Amazon is only just now shipping it out and it will be here tomorrow. I cancelled plans so I could enjoy this tonight.

What are my options here as far as getting Amazon to comp my account or something? Don't guarantee delivery dates if you can't meet them.

This isn't even a FedEx issue- Amazon just didn't ship it out at all till today.
They have customer support for a reason. They've always been good to me.

Caja 117

No they only wake if someone finds them and wakes them up.

Absolutely. The game is a more refined and improved version of HR's gameplay with some new additions and tools to use. I love the new refined cover mechanic. I was worried it being mapped to L3 would give me issues but it's been quite intuitive for myself anyway and I like you don't need to hold X to move from cover to cover unlike The Division but still using the latter game's idea.

Thank you, Ill pick this up probably next week.

Fuck stealth.
Shotgun is bae.

When stealth fails.

olB0hX5.gif

Diancecht

Game is... Rough. Animations look terrible, lip sync is hilarious and dialogs feel stitched together. There is a pause after every sentence and it gets tedious to listen. But, I dig the story, gameplay mechanics and the world.

Simo

Short question from the very beginning after the intro mission:
Why can Adam walk through the "Naturals" gate and not the Augs gate although he is getting called out for being a Techno after that?

Probably his papers, orange level right? Likely give him immunity or a free pass because of those and being on the Task Force.

Or just chalk it up to suspension of belief. Lol

You'll get a $5 credit on your account or if you call you'll get the credit and likely an extra month of prime.

ActWan

OK! Past the first mission, although the game is good so far it left a really sour taste in my mouth.

First of all the PC version is missing effects (Arkham Knight anyone?), for example I noticed there are lens flares on the buildings at the start of the game in the consoles version but not on the PC version, and I'm playing with everything maxed.
At least it runs good when MSAA is turned off...

The last encounter of the first mission is just terrible. Really badly desinged.
The whole GET TO THA CHOPPA thing to complete it non lethal with the U.C. alive...we can't ever know that for sure. Just really really really poor design here

The
subway
cutscene after the first mission was just jarring. People kept on just popping out of nowhere and into nowhere, going through each other etc...

And the worst part of it all was the infinite loading screen I got right after that.
Talking about starting off on the wrong foot...I really hope it gets better.

Oh but there is a positive part, looks like I got all the DLC even tho I bought the standard edition off GMG :)

Jb

I'm enjoying the game so far but the whole augmented population as an allegory for oppressed people in history really feels like forced conflict to me.
The idea that human improvements would lead to such a fanatical response is too much of a stretch and the heavy handedness with which they draw parallels between the world they portray and the real one doesn't help.

nOoblet16

That's not thinking outside of the box or "becoming Jensen", that's circumventing bad design imo.
Lol it's not bad design it's not trusting the game all the time, this is what Deus Ex has been about that players are accustomed to listening to what the game says but they can choose to ignore it.

If you want to do it the way the game wants you to do it then that's possible too. It WOULD be bad design if it didn't allow that and only let you do the other thing...but it doesn't. Comments like "but we can never predict" or "we never know" and hence bad design is missing the point of Deus Ex.

In The Missing Link there was a point where you get to a panel and the game asks you to choose between a whistleblower or the hostages who are about to be gassed..it tells you you can only save one but if you ignore the game and explore then you can find the gas tank itself and blow it up to save both. The game doesn't tell you that and it's not bad design because the game never tells you about the third option...it's challenging player intution. If you think it is then honestly you've become far too accustomed to modern games.

Like I said it would be bad design if the thing that game is asking you to do cannot be accomplished in the way it asks you and the only way to achieve success would be to figure things out on your own but that is clearly not the case.

I'm enjoying the game so far but the whole augmented population as an allegory for oppressed people in history really feels like forced conflict to me.
The idea that human improvements would lead to such a fanatical response is too much of a stretch and the heavy handedness in the way they draw parallels between the world they portray and the real one doesn't help.
Did you play the first game?

It's not just 'these people are different I don't like them' there were historical events that caused things to be they way that they are.

Read this: http://deusex.wikia.com/wiki/Aug_Incident

ymgve

Are you supposed to be able to throw items/use weapons in the game hub? Because I don't even get the option to throw things anymore (Even in red areas) and I'm wondering if it's a bug.

Anyone else having problems redeeming the PS4 day one code on Playstation Store?

Edit: Nvm. Wasn't working on the PS4 but it worked in the browser.

Tecnniqe

Banned
I quite like the underground areas in this game.
Code:
[IMG]http://abload.de/img/deusexmankinddivided0papiy.png[/IMG]

stealth is certainly not that fun here, especially in the first level. Trying to take dudes out with sniper rifle at helicopter, must have died like 10 times now. Shits weak. Pretty much gonna say fuck it and start mowing everyone down.

When stealth fails.

olB0hX5.gif
Ya know it!
tumblr_nbb7czjdrN1rvfjldo2_500.gif

Does Adam have a normal dick?

Augmented D.

RawNuts

The state that Prague is in is giving me serious Half Life 2 vibes, I love it.

Also, how many praxis kits are you supposed to start out with after visiting
Koller
? I redeemed two kits from Deus Ex Go before I even got to that point, but I had 11 kits to spend and I didn't get the season pass either. Just seems like way too many kits to start with.

WHY

does Sarif have a new voice actor!?
Yeah, this bothered me way more than it probably should; totally killed the character to me. Sarif was one of the most memorable voices in Human Revolution for me.

vypek

Thinking about getting this since I finished HR not too long ago. Wonder what platform though cause I'm sure on console I would miss the quick save and quick load.

Sanctuary

WHY

does Sarif have a new voice actor!?

Because Thomas Haden Church was busy.

I did yeah and the Incident makes it slightly more believable, but even in HR I never felt like they sold me this idea of augments leading to this huge animosity and divide in society.

The problem is because of how much time jumps during the game. There was already an animosity in HR if you listened to any of the stuff on the radio or read any of the papers. Humanity Front, Purity First and Taggart were huge antagonists.

Lol it's not bad design it's not trusting the game, this is what Deus Ex has been about that players are accustomed to listening to what the game says but you can choose to ignore it.

If you want to do it the way the game wants you to do it then that's possible too. It WOULD be bad design if it didn't allow that and only let you do the other thing...but it doesn't. Comments like "but we can never predict" or "we never know" and hence bad design is missing the point of Deus Ex.

In The Missing Link there was a point where you get to a panel and the game asks you to choose between a whistleblower or the hostages who are about to be gassed..it tells you you can only save one but if you ignore the game and explore then you can find the gas tank itself and blow it up to save both. The game doesn't tell you that and it's not bad design because the game never tells you about the third option...it's challenging player intution. If you think it is then honestly you've become far too accustomed to modern games.

Like I said it would be bad design if the thing that game is asking you to do cannot be accomplished in the way it asks you and the only way to achieve success would be to figure things out on your own but that is clearly not the case.

You're missing the point. The example you mention from the previous game makes logical sense despite misleading you, and the player is rewarded for thinking logically and not rushing to a decision. The end of the tutorial in Mankind Divided makes no logical sense. You say you need to "trust the game". That's what those of us who are frustrated did. We trusted it to make logical sense. It didn't. Our trust in the game's design was punished.

We're not missing the point of Deus Ex, but it sounds like you're letting the power of hindsight cloud your own judgment here. I've played through both the original Deus Ex and Human Revolution twice each, both lethal and non-lethal. I know how this works. The design of the climax in the tutorial here is deeply flawed, hence the reactions. You're the one missing the point.

Bliddo

Loving the game so far, but the sound mixing is awful (ps4, tv speakers). The ambient noise is so loud that it covers the voices, I had to turn on the subtitles.

Truant

Didn't feel the opening mission, but the first half hour of Prague has been pretty decent. I felt the same way about HR, so I'm hopeful!

aravuus

Still not sure about the way they handled energy. I don't like the way your max energy capacity drops when you use augs, especially with something like takedowns since they REALLY take a lot out of it, and then having to spend valuable items to bring the max capacity back up... Only for it to drop down to half in like 15 minutes. And the energy items have been relatively rare so far.

Other than that, though, I'm enjoying the shit out of it. Sneaking around all ghost-like is fucking awesome.

derFeef

Lol it's not bad design it's not trusting the game all the time, this is what Deus Ex has been about that players are accustomed to listening to what the game says but they can choose to ignore it.

I am not sure I follow your logic here. I trusted the game to give me options but it seems like there is only one way and that is found out by trial and error. I would not applaud the game for giving you, what you think at least, choice - if there actually is none.

Angel_DvA

I asked again, without spoilers please, Should I start playing the game with the mission DLC Desperate Measures or I should start the game first ?

Lima

I asked again, without spoilers please, Should I start playing the game with the mission DLC Desperate Measures or I should start the game first ?

Bro it says in the menu when you select it that it can spoil the main game. When do you think you should play it then?

Top Bottom