• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Deus Ex: Mankind Divided |OT| We Asked For This

Moff

dxxps1i.jpg

when you just refuse to spend an energy cell

Whompa02

I feel many games would be benefit from a black screen with text thart gives a little context, it's cheap but can help a lot. Like saying " after the accident with the augmented people, Jensen left Sarif industries and enroled at Interpol ..."

Lol there's literally a 12 minute backstory video explaining all this before you even start the first mission...

Vuze

dxxps1i.jpg

when you just refuse to spend an energy cell
All of that in front of a cop haha.
It's kinda funny really. I just entered the sewers through a manhole in front of a few copy investigating civilists and they didn't give a fuck :D

heringer

It's funny how almost everybody has a prosthetic arm or leg. I mean, this must be a very harsh world if everybody's limbs are being chopped off like that.

Tovarisc

All of that in front of a cop haha.
It's kinda funny really. I just entered the sewers through a manhole in front of a few copy investigating civilists and they didn't give a fuck :D

I threw bowling ball at the thug to knock him out, no one gave a fuck. This was after I had to load save because everyone lost their collective shits because I shot same thug to face with suppressed tranq rifle. In both cases people saw me doing it.

It's funny how almost everybody has a prosthetic arm or leg. I mean, this must be a very harsh world if everybody's limbs are being chopped off like that.

Not sure if making a joke or just not in on HR + MD storylines.

Carn82

Console-guys; what control scheme are you using? I'm trying out Breach, mostly because it has sprint on L3 and because of Destiny that kinda grew into my motorskills :(

Whompa02

Console-guys; what control scheme are you using? I'm trying out Breach, mostly because it has sprint on L3 and because of Destiny that kinda grew into my motorskills :(

Mankind Divided default. Trying to learn the way the devs want me to play. It's not terribly difficult but it's definitely different than normal control schemes.

Kyoufu

Considering same objects don't occuoyninventory space and once you get the upgrade your inventory becomes huge. I barely had to even bother with it after the 2nd upgrade...even less after the third.

Right now I don't have any room to pick up this grenade launcher. Is there a safe/storage I can put some stuff in?

As much as I'd like to use the FPS controls, I went with the MD default because that's how developers intended it so eh, why not.

Carn82

Mankind Divided default. Trying to learn the way the devs want me to play. It's not terribly difficult but it's definitely different than normal control schemes.

Makes sense. I played MD on PC so this will be my first console Deus Ex; if I`ll break my fingers I`ll switch it around I gues

heringer

Got to Prague, quit. Gonna boot it up later when I'm in the right mood because I know there's destined to be great stuff in there, but the opening chunk of this has left a sour impression. Tutorial mission gonna tutorial, but it felt off across the board. Weakly presented narrative, ugly setting, no real drive or setup that got me hooked. Mouse acceleration feels fucking terrible. The cover system feels off and bloated, much in part due to the new automated movement function which, much like the QTE take down cinematics, just seems like another bloated "strip the player of control" junk system. The tutorial is then followed by what should be a decent intro, but feels like shit thanks to weird sluggish, draggy mouse look while on automated rails. Like HR the pre-rendered cutscenes look worse than the game (but I can half forgive that, as I'm running at 1440p). The writing so far is flat, no real hook and this weird middle ground of not trying to over explain things (which in theory is great) but also seemingly lacking explanation of things I should know if I am Jensen.

I dunno. I'll get back into later. Opening chapters are obviously a very small slice of a much grander game, but every so far falls squarely in the "I don't give a shit" pile, and that's disappointing.

"What Metal Gear V should have been". :p

derFeef

You know what angers me the most about he starting mission. Jensen is on this fucking plane with those (portrayed) dumb soldiers, just being another guy and getting spoken to with a condescending tone like he are a recruit or some other lower human. Then the boss tells him how to handle the mission instead of straight up asking (which ends up null because you get to choose anyway). The guy even calls Jensen a "fucking twat" if you fail a part of the mission.

It paints Jensen as a rookie instead of what and who he really is. Luckily the thing what happened in the first game also happens at the end of the mission and everything is reset anway... yeah.

nOoblet16

Right now I don't have any room to pick up this grenade launcher. Is there a safe/storage I can put some stuff in?

As much as I'd like to use the FPS controls, I went with the MD default because that's how developers intended it so eh, why not.
Yea...the one in Jensen's apartment.

MD controls are really the best for this game, it allows you to do things that other controls don't (5 augs at s time, one of them can be used while using both analogue which is how most new augs work) plus it has separate buttons for aug wheel and equipment wheel like breach controls.

nOoblet16

I have like 17000 credits, 14 bottles of Neuropozyne, 20 biocells and 1500+ crafting parts....I don't even know what to buy lol.

I'm NG+ btw.

Xyber

Palisade, to get information for the underground newspaper

I'm currently in there as well, because I looted a keycard from a vendor I was supposed to buy some crafting material from to make a multi-tool to break into a safe in an apartment (which I also did and got another card for this place :p).

I don't think I am really supposed to be here yet with no active augs to help me sneak around..

nOoblet16

Palisade, to get information for the underground newspaper
Yea there you are right in that you will never know that there can be mission in that building if you choose a different conversation. It's one of the most interesting buildings in game, there are certain areas in there which you can't access unless you explore the whole damn city ! And also some surprises. I still haven't managed two rooms in there.

I'm playing this game so far just like how I did the last game.

Go in stealthy like then when I fuck up go fucking LOUD! So far I've heavily invest points into hacking and more specifically stealth hacking.

I'm enjoying it so far because its Deus Ex. There seems like a lot to do and lots of options for how to do it. For example,
I just dealt with the forgers my letting them attack me while a cop-drone was around. I then hid behind a truck while the drone delivered some justice.
The controls seem off though (M/KB) and the jumping is really awkward.

The take down cinematic is going to get annoying though, especially since it'll be used for almost every enemy. It got a bit annoying in HR and it's sad to see they haven't updated it.
I feel like they should've put the effort in to animate it without a cutscene (i.e. like pretty much every other game). The game should zoom out to 3rd person and show the takedown, then zoom back in - like it does when entering/leaving cover.

It breaks the flow to suddenly cut to some action hero set piece when you're right in the middle of some enemies you're trying to stealth past.
Like, "Dude, we're trying to be sneaky here. Maybe just a cyber-enhanced Vulcan death grip instead of your best WWE bodyslam".

valkyre

I am on the fence here... i loved Human Revolution, but it seems that opinions about Mankind Divided are ... well... divided!

Story sounds mediocre by what people say, I have no clue about the actual length of the game (cut content and such) , the one HUB thing lets me down (i dont know though if it is larger than HUBs of the first game). I want this game but these question marks stop me from getting it.

Can GAF help here?

If I'm being perfectly honest, I'm not really liking the game so far and I can't really figure out why.
I think the stealth mechanics are kinda spotty in this game.

nOoblet16

I'm enjoying it so far because its Deus Ex. There seems like a lot to do and lots of options for how to do it. For example,
I just dealt with the forgers my letting them attack me while a cop-drone was around. I then hid behind a truck while the drone delivered some justice.
The controls seem off though (M/KB) and the jumping is really awkward.

The take down cinematic is going to get annoying though, especially since it'll be used for almost every enemy. It got a bit annoying in HR and it's sad to see they haven't updated it.
I feel like they should've put the effort in to animate it without a cutscene (i.e. like pretty much every other game). The game should zoom out to 3rd person and show the takedown, then zoom back in - like it does when entering/leaving cover.

It breaks the flow to suddenly cut to some action hero set piece when you're right in the middle of some enemies you're trying to stealth past.
Like, "Dude, we're trying to be sneaky here. Maybe just a cyber-enhanced Vulcan death grip instead of your best WWE bodyslam".
Actually no, for the majority of the game you'll use Tesla canon, stun pistol, gas grenades, tranquilliser, Typhoon and PEPS blast if going non lethal. All of them except for the last are ammo dependant.

I think I used takedowns like 10 times in the entire playthrough, never used it even once in NG+

deoee

You know what angers me the most about he starting mission. Jensen is on this fucking plane with those (portrayed) dumb soldiers, just being another guy and getting spoken to with a condescending tone like he are a recruit or some other lower human. Then the boss tells him how to handle the mission instead of straight up asking (which ends up null because you get to choose anyway). The guy even calls Jensen a "fucking twat" if you fail a part of the mission.

It paints Jensen as a rookie instead of what and who he really is. Luckily the thing what happened in the first game also happens at the end of the mission and everything is reset anway... yeah.

Jensen is a rookie at Interpol and if you come into new and are being sent onto an elite mission with year long veterans, it's not surprising he is pissed.

Also you can talk to the guy in the headquarters and learn more about his character and the chemistry between both of them.

kittoo

Cretinously credulous
One question regarding playing steam offline.
I can buy the game but I wont remain online for a few days after (shifting homes). For how long will I be able to play it in offline mode? Will steam/Denuvo require me to go online again after a couple or days or so?

If I'm being perfectly honest, I'm not really liking the game so far and I can't really figure out why.
I think the stealth mechanics are kinda spotty in this game.

My opinion is that the stealth mechanics are A LOT better in this game than in Human Revolution.

Only thing I can think of is that the cover system is a bit too.. eager. It's very hard to get out of cover since the "toggle cover" button has a delay and you can't just "run away" from cover so you are stuck to it.

But otherwise stealth is amazing, I especially like the "you are about to be noticed" -timer it gives you. You won't instantly alert the whole room if you misjudge a vision cone..

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
I kinda miss the black & yellow artstyle of HR to be honest. It gave a nice atmosphere to the game that MD doesn't have so far(just started Prague).

If there is 2 things I don't like, it's the cover controls(getting out of cover and shooting from cover is not as simple as it should be) and the stiff animations. I'm surprised that a game with such a big(assuming) budget can't even afford better animations than past gen games.

heringer

Jensen was a cop, then a glorified security guard. Most people don't know what he did in the first game. It's not surprising that veteran soldiers would look down on him.

In fact, I would like to know how he even got into Interpol in the first place.

Is side mission 01 bugged for anyone else, I found the woman but I cannot find the dude you're supposed to help anywhere.

Im not sure if its a bug or not. I just went exploring assuming the marker was just pointing out the area they were located. Just walk around eventually you will find a shop with 2 guys hurling abuse outside of it. Hes in there.

CHC

Lmao, the movement is so janky in this. Jumping is janky as fuck too, hope there won't be many platforming sections in the game.

Yeah it's super weird, I don't know how they botched it twice on two different engines. You fall way faster than gravity would carry you downwards. I do appreciate the ledge grab feature though, but it doesn't always work like you expect it to...

aravuus

My opinion is that the stealth mechanics are A LOT better in this game than in Human Revolution.

Only thing I can think of is that the cover system is a bit too.. eager. It's very hard to get out of cover since the "toggle cover" button has a delay and you can't just "run away" from cover so you are stuck to it.

But otherwise stealth is amazing, I especially like the "you are about to be noticed" -timer it gives you. You won't instantly alert the whole room if you misjudge a vision cone..

Yeah, really enjoying the stealth aspect myself, much more than I did in HR. Something felt off about it in HR, in this most of the times I've been spotted have genuinely felt like my mistake, not the game being stupid.

e: oh goddamn it, remote hacking is one of those experimental augs, now I'll never get it lol

Ozium

Actually no, for the majority of the game you'll use Tesla canon, stun pistol, gas grenades, tranquilliser, Typhoon and PEPS blast if going non lethal. All of them except for the last are ammo dependant.

I think I used takedowns like 10 times in the entire playthrough, never used it even once in NG+

wait.. typhoon is non-lethal?

also I went to that shop near Jensen's apartment you spoke about.. I can't find your original post but here's what I found

I went downstairs to where the pool table was, then to the door with the same passcode and all that were in there was an ebook, a datapad and a credit chip iirc.. there was also a hidden door on the wall but it's locked.. the datapad mentions something about a basement in DaiTaiga (?) and gives me a code for it but no idea where / what that is..

have you found anything else about it?

Anyone else having trouble getting their stats to load on the Deus Ex Universe iOS app? I linked it with my S-E account on PS4 but they aren't loading!

So what's the downside to an unstable power level?

Do powers run out faster? Do things sometimes not work?

I think I clicked past the screen that explained it.

I really hate hacking. Can I just skip it all together?I invested one point into it and already regret it, seems like it would take some of the fun out of route hacking

I have everything else that helps me move around the world. Don't remember hating it this much in revolution.

BumRush

Was the "cutscene" when you melee an enemy thought to be a good decision by anyone? I'm having a blast with the game so far but I can't see the benefit of that...

nOoblet16

wait.. typhoon is non-lethal?

also I went to that shop near Jensen's apartment you spoke about.. I can't find your original post but here's what I found

I went downstairs to where the pool table was, then to the door with the same passcode and all that were in there was an ebook, a datapad and a credit chip iirc.. there was also a hidden door on the wall but it's locked.. the datapad mentions something about a basement in DaiTaiga (?) and gives me a code for it but no idea where / what that is..
have you found anything else about it?
About typhoon, when you unlock it you can choose between lethal and non lethal. Non lethal version uses gas grenades.

As for the shop,
there is a button on the floor hidden underneath the boxes to your left when you are watching the door. The DaiTaiga beer shop is somewhere in the top right half of the map in the bigger hub, if I recall it correctly. Has some loot in there.

Top Bottom