• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Deus Ex: Mankind Divided |OT| We Asked For This

Spruchy

Didn't like the prologue (especially since I thought I had to fight at that last fight).

Game really opened up once you start doing the first mission with the police checkpoint, like it a lot now (also using a controller now until they fix mouse acceleration, if ever).

Glass

I really hate hacking. Can I just skip it all together?I invested one point into it and already regret it, seems like it would take some of the fun out of route hacking

I have everything else that helps me move around the world. Don't remember hating it this much in revolution.

Think Multi tools unlock keypads and computers right? Not at home to check.

Didn't like the prologue (especially since I thought I had to fight at that last fight).

Game really opened up once you start doing the first mission with the police checkpoint, like it a lot now (also using a controller now until they fix mouse acceleration, if ever).

Even as someone who has played DE:HR like 5 times this got me for a while. I ended up realising where to interact with the
helicopter so I sneaked round the left hand side quickly and then grabbed the battery out and saved the guy
Took me like 5 tries to realise that's what I could do though lol.

idonteven

WOOHOO got my pacifist trophy ! was scared i would kill someone without knowing

final boss was the most easy boss in a game ever

I Never Asked For This trophy here i come

KorrZ

Started this up last night and played for 3 hours.

Spent the entirety of those 3 hours doing the prologue mission and then just exploring Adam's apartment/building.

Loving this already, it's pure Deus Ex.

Dubz

I'm not a fan of any of the game pad control schemes. Is there a way to customize the control scheme on PC without having to use an external program?

Steam reviews are freaking out because of the microtransactions and the fact that some of the DLC is single-use.

Is it that much of a dealbreaker? I really want to play this but I can't see myself supporting a publisher that would design a $60 SP game around selling microtransactions. Does it affect the campaign in any tangible way?

In fact, I would like to know how he even got into Interpol in the first place.

That's all pretty much covered in his apartment:

Juggernaut Collective gave him the intel that the Task Force may be compromised. He got a friend of his to put in a good word for the Interpol job (you can find that in an email on his computer) and Sarif backed that up, giving him an amazing recommendation.

Steam reviews are freaking out because of the microtransactions and the fact that some of the DLC is single-use.

Is it that much of a dealbreaker? I really want to play this but I can't see myself supporting a publisher that would design a $60 SP game around selling microtransactions. Does it affect the campaign in any tangible way?

No, it's just Steam reviews being Steam reviews. Breach is a totally separate mode- story mode is free of microtransactions. And the game has New Game+ so you will be swimming in gear after you complete the game once.

Vuze

I think MTs only affect the breach mode and don't touch campaign SP at all.
E: Nvm, I have just seen the shop in campaign mode. Wtf, they sell praxis kits 1€ a pop, credits etc. Disgusting. But I don't feel like I need to buy it, atleast this early in game (6h ish)

The DLC thing is beyond stupid however.

nOoblet16

Typical overreaction.
The pre order bonus weapons are the exact same as ingame weapons..no difference really apart from cosmetics.

And reaction to micro transactions. Never once I felt I didn't have enough. If you play this like a Deus Ex game and explore thenyou'll be drowning in praxis kits, bio cells, equipments and crafting parts. You most likely won't be able to unlock every single upgrade for every single augument in your first playthrough but when has that been an issue in a Deus Ex game or any RPG in the first place? It has always been about putting points in things that compliment your playstyle. And yet by the time I got to the last mission I had 80-90% of the auguments unlocked.

When it comes to the breach mode, that's where microtransactions might offer something different. It does not affect the SP at all.

Vuze

What do I do with these Wifi transmitters? They appear as if I could interact with them but even if I stand next to them there's nothing to be done. Remote hacking doesn't work either.

337000_20160824152402bzxkq.png

Fujinn

Maybe reading to much into this but...
Watch Dogs reference?

By the way, i think my game is bugged or something i just tried hacking a persons computer (with him clearly seeing me) and failed on purpose. No problem, the dude sat in his desk a continued like nothing. :/

kittoo

Cretinously credulous
One question regarding playing steam offline.
I can buy the game but I wont remain online for a few days after (shifting homes). For how long will I be able to play it in offline mode? Will steam/Denuvo require me to go online again after a couple or days or so?

Anyone?

I can't believe someone used these mouse controls and was like, yep, ship it

"Johnson, does the mouse work like we wanted?"

"Yes sir Mr. Tremblay, acceleration ratio is one trillion to one like we planned."

"Excellent work Johnson, meet me in the office for poutine and ketchup chips."

I mean in terms of game jank. Example: I break into someone's house , they are praying to a statue, i move the statue and they just carry on praying to it.

It doesnt matter what year Deus Ex comes out, its always gonna prize player experimentation and interaction over top of the line realism or polished animations.

heringer

I mean in terms of game jank. Example: I break into someone's house , they are praying to a statue, i move the statue and they just carry on praying to it.

The game does feel archaic in some areas. Human Revolution already felt old in 2011, and Mankind Divided doesn't progress things much.

It's still good but I get what you are saying.

StereoVsn

No, it's just Steam reviews being Steam reviews. Breach is a totally separate mode- story mode is free of microtransactions. And the game has New Game+ so you will be swimming in gear after you complete the game once.
It's shady as fuck that they changed pre-order bonus to consumable after release. It's also shitty to have micro-transaction in-game store, story mode or not, still SP, no?

It's the same as Phantom Pain, it's crap pushed by the pubs that folks are eating up on $60 full releases.

Lister

Banned
Anyone else playing witht he Steam controller?

I'm liking it a lot, though I think I'm going to switch cover from left stick push to one of the paddles. Hate left stick push. Never tie an action that might be affecte dby movement to left stick push!

Also one complaint is that when using the scope my view is always shifted by several meters. I don't understand why, but it's never where I had my reticule before scoping. Annoying.

Love that it supports mouse mode + gamepad mode to seamlessly. Fantastic support.

The game does feel archaic in some areas. Human Revolution already felt old in 2011, and Mankind Divided doesn't progress things much.

It's still good but I get what you are saying.

Man, after replaying HR last week I couldn't disagree more. MD is a huge step up in so many ways. Yeah it's not perfect but it's still a big improvement to me.

It's the same as Phantom Pain, it's crap pushed by the pubs that folks are eating up on $60 full releases.

With TPP the FOB thing was mandatory for at least one mission and it seemed like the in game research stuff may have been balanced to make the FOB stuff more attractive.

With MD that doesn't seem to be the case. Unless they go in and patch the loot drops after the fact, in game the micro transaction stuff is completely unnecessary to get the full DX experience.

Breach may be a mess, I don't know, but that's not what I bought the game for.

The game's excellent so far but it feels a lot tougher to get a strong sense of geography in Prague the way it felt comparatively easy in Detroit and Hengsha.

Detroit I can see but I thought Hengsha was a nightmare to navigate.

The game's excellent so far but it feels a lot tougher to get a strong sense of geography in Prague the way it felt comparatively easy in Detroit and Hengsha.
Detroit I can see but I thought Hengsha was a nightmare to navigate.

Hengsha was mazelike, deliberately, but it was also really heavily divided into visually and atmospherically distinct districts. I'd love to see that amount of verticality in Prague.

Man, though, especially with this game's experimental augs and the overall rebalancing to make running and gunning more feasible, Square-Enix has an amazingly solid foundation on their hands for this series and they're excellent at designing objectives with tons of ways to achieve them. Can't wait to see where they take it next.

heringer

Man, after replaying HR last week I couldn't disagree more. MD is a huge step up in so many ways. Yeah it's not perfect but it's still a big improvement to me.

With TPP the FOB thing was mandatory for at least one mission and it seemed like the in game research stuff may have been balanced to make the FOB stuff more attractive.

With MD that doesn't seem to be the case. Unless they go in and patch the loot drops after the fact, in game the micro transaction stuff is completely unnecessary to get the full DX experience.

Breach may be a mess, I don't know, but that's not what I bought the game for.
It does improve but I feel they should go further. I mean, things like a cutscene for takedowns, spotty AI and stilted animations already felt old in 2011.

Courage

There's no statistics page tracking enemies killed, alarms raised etc. right? It'd have been nice to have something like it to know I'm still on course for the achievements.

Lister

Banned
In the prolgue do you have to:

Fight the guys in the mask in the sandstorm? I haven't been able to get to the chopper without being perforated. And they are aksing em to save the undercover agent, but I'm not sur eif that means fighting too. (trying to ghost the game).

CHC

Anyone else find it kind of annoying that EVERYONE is simply called "Civilian." Like, the homeless, the business people, the transit workers? Literally every NPC is just a "civilian." Seems really uninspired considering the amount of detail in the world.

Courage

Fight the guys in the mask in the sandstorm? I haven't been able to get to the chopper without being perforated. And they are aksing em to save the undercover agent, but I'm not sur eif that means fighting too. (trying to ghost the game).

Just run by them while cloaked.

It does improve but I feel they should go further. I mean, things like a cutscene for takedowns, spotty AI and stilted animations already felt old in 2011.

The animations are indeed stilted but are still 100% better than HR's animations (lip synch not so much). I have never had any problem for the takedown cutscenes but I get why some people do. I do think they should have removed the brief black screen from them- I noticed some of the pre-release gameplay footage didn't have it so I'm assuming it's an intentional design decision and not an engine limitation.

Otherwise these games don't sell like Skyrim or AC so there are always going to be budget limitations. DX has never been a huge blockbuster, high budget franchise so I expect some jank is always going to be present.

Absolutely not:

Drop down, cloak, run to the left side of the helicopter and pull the battery out. Done in about 10 seconds and you save Sing to boot.

God, though, the art direction for Human Revolution and Mankind Divided is so utterly on point. I wish the Mass Effect series had had art direction as incredibly thoughtful and atmosphere-heavy as Deus Ex or Dead Space.

I'm still finding myself running out of energy about as often as I did in HR, though partly because I'm using my powers much more often. I propose that in the next game, there should be augments that allow your batteries to be recharged with kinetic and solar energy and stuff (i.e. being outside during the daytime should slowly recharge your battery all the way to full) because I'm still chowing down on consumables fairly often.

Ventus182

Neo Member
So I just got in the Aug hub (4 hours in) and I'm absolutely loving this game. It's how I imagined the sequel to one of my favorite games (Human Revolution) to be.

Hopefully there's still a long way until the end.

I'm still finding myself running out of energy about as often as I did in HR, though partly because I'm using my powers much more often. I propose that in the next game, there should be augments that allow your batteries to be recharged with kinetic and solar energy and stuff (i.e. being outside during the daytime should slowly recharge your battery all the way to full) because I'm still chowing down on consumables fairly often.

Crafting is your friend.

heringer

Otherwise these games don't sell like Skyrim or AC so there are always going to be budget limitations. DX has never been a huge blockbuster, high budget franchise so I expect some jank is always going to be present.

To be fair, that is a good point. It's just that somehow I got under the impression they were greatly stepping up their game with Deus Ex. The quality is pretty much on par with what HR represented in 2011, which is a B grade game with some brilliant parts that made a cult following. I think the initial hype made expectations a bit higher than they should be.

At the very least I'm happy the cutscenes are more consistent with the gameplay now. Even though they are still pre recorded, the transition is really well done. Cutscenes were straight up garbage in HR.

Hopefully this sells really well and they can increase the budget for the next game.

Top Bottom