• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Deus Ex: Mankind Divided |OT| We Asked For This

Simo

My god, the intro story hooks did not grab me at all. Jensen is now with an anti-terrorism organization because guilt? The walk-and-talk with Alex after the credits feels like an information dump of things I have no reason to care about yet. The scene with the dead mom feels forced and hollow. And then all ties to characters from HR get the barest of nods in the call with Sarif? It all feels very disjointed from the ending of HR. I stopped for the night right before leaving the apartment; does it get better in terms of getting invested in this game's narrative?

Uh that information dump would of explained why Jensen is with TF29. lol

Also this:
No:

He's hunting down the Illuminati. He has intel from Alex's organisation that they have infiltrated the Task Force so that's why he joined. He is essentially undercover.

It's pretty much exactly what I would have expected of Adam after HR- I figured that he would be investigating the Illuminati and that's exactly what this is.

He has basically become Paul Denton

Are any of the day one weapon attachments OP for the beginning of the game? I don't want to have a Super Jensen right off the bat.

Cheers, Gaf.

Attachements? I just got weapons and they seem to be the same except for a cosmetic design. Although thinking on it I think the 10mm Elite pistol has a bigger mag size.

nOoblet16

I love the game so far.

My only complaint is about how that miller guy is constantly riding my ass to move on with the mainstory mission. Damnit, this is deus ex, I want to explore and do side missions at my leisure.

If I somehow fail the mission because I took too much time to get to it imma be pissed.
That's the only time he ever does it, once you got to TF29 headquarters for the first time he stops doing that.

Preorder stuff might be "one save only", but I just started a new game and "Elite Edition Tranquilizer Rifle" from my season pass was in "storage" even though I am actively using it in my current game that is 4h+ in.

I don't know if they changed something, but PC season pass DLC at least carries over multiple saves. So I guess that "one save only" -issue is console-only?

--edit: what is going on, tried getting credit chip out of there and it dissappeared and can't get in new game? Was it a glitch I experienced and I got extra tranq rifle?

--edit2:

I think it's the consumables like the Praxis kits that are 1 time use only. It says so when you take it from storage to your inventory, for the weapons it says you can use them over multiple saves.

Alright! Thanks for clearing it up

Simo

Preorder stuff might be "one save only", but I just started a new game and "Elite Edition Tranquilizer Rifle" from my season pass was in "storage" even though I am actively using it in my current game that is 4h+ in.

I don't know if they changed something, but PC season pass DLC at least carries over multiple saves. So I guess that "one save only" -issue is console-only?

I think it's the consumables like the Praxis kits that are 1 time use only. It says so when you take it from storage to your inventory, for the weapons it says you can use them over multiple saves.

Was the Juggernaut Collective and Janus every referenced in HR? I know it was in the HR tie-in novel but I don't recall it being in HR proper. If that's the case I can see why some people may have a bit of a WTF about their introduction into MD.

Phionoxx

So I spent quite a bit of time in the
bank
building in the same area of the city as the TF29 HQs. I've explored most of the building but need a certain keycard to get to the last area I haven't been to. Does anyone know where the
Versalife Vault Access Card
is located? I'm also thinking maybe this is story related and I can't actually go down there yet.

nOoblet16

Was the Juggernaut Collective and Janus every referenced in HR? I know it was in the HR tie-in novel but I don't recall it being in HR proper. If that's the case I can see why some people may have a bit of a WTF about their introduction into MD.
It was in DE: The Fall
That's one thing that bothered me in this game as well as Halo. Ok fine you can say that these stories were officially released for the public to follow but at the same time less people played The Fall or read the Halo novels than people who played Human Revolution or Halo 3.

I get that you have to cater a bit to the fans who spend time on other extra stuff but you also don't have to do it so much that you confuse the people who didn't. Because at the end of the day this game isn't a sequel to The Fall and Halo 4 wasn't a sequel to the books but rather a follow-up of the previous mainline console entry.

Also The Fall was pretty shit.

Edit: It was in Missing Link. Strange I forgot.

Simo

Yes, during the Missing Link mission.

nOoblet16

So I spent quite a bit of time in the
bank
building in the same area of the city as the TF29 HQs. I've explored most of the building but need a certain keycard to get to the last area I haven't been to. Does anyone know where the
Versalife Vault Access Card
is located? I'm also thinking maybe this is story related and I can't actually go down there yet.
Yes that one is story related.

The bank is incredibly fun to explore man, I've visited almost all the rooms except two (but I accessed contents of one of them in an alternate way without going to that room) and you actually need to search around the entire town to actually be able to get in those rooms and get the goodies.

That's one thing that bothered me in this game as well as Halo. Ok fine you can say that these stories were officially released for the public to follow but at the same time less people played The Fall or read the Halo novels than people who played Human Revolution or Halo 3.

I get that you have to cater a bit to the fans who spend time on other extra stuff but you also don't have to do it so much that you confuse the people who didn't. Because at the end of the day this game isn't a sequel to The Fall and Halo 4 wasn't a sequel to the books but rather a follow-up of the previous mainline console entry.

Yeah, there is nothing wrong with bringing Juggernaut into this, especially since it's a cool concept and fits the setting. But they probably should have introduced the concept better to bring players up to speed.

Yes, during the Missing Link mission.

Ah, I only just started playing TML for the first time after I replayed HR last week. Didn't finish before MD released though so I missed the reference.

Regginator

It's 32 degrees right now in the Netherlands, I can't play games in this heat, ahhhhhhhhh. PC is making a fuckton of noise as well, GPU gets hot as fire

Edit: It was in Missing Link. Strange I forgot.

The Juggernaut Collective was also in the Icarus Effect book. But the book wasn't particularly great, and who reads video game novelizations anyway?

The Juggernaut Collective was also in the Icarus Effect book. But the book wasn't particularly great, and who reads video game novelizations anyway?

Yeah, I read the book. I quite liked it. I'm a junky for DX lore and appreciated how seamlessly it fit in with the rest of the series. I thought it was good for burning through on a long plane ride and better than the Mitch Rapp style junk that friends keep trying to push on me.

Mifec

Quick question about

Story spoiler obv
Spokes in Two Wheels —
You managed to stop both the bombing & the Orchid poisoning. You’re a living legend!

How do you do it without missing it?

I'm at the part where you have to decide
if you're going for the bank or Allison

Simo

Ah, I only just started playing TML for the first time after I replayed HR last week. Didn't finish before MD released though so I missed the reference.

Yeah it's at the end.
One of the characters has a conversation with Janus and talks about recruiting Jensen for the collective. They decide they can't for now because of Jensen's obsession and relationship with Megan Reed.

Jeffrey

Another little thing that I wish they'd put more effort into is 'presence'. Switching between cover and first person still feels abrupt and not consistent where my mind thinks Jensen is.

Also still no physical hands when interacting with doors or items on the ground or touchpads or anything. Hovering stuff was fine when half life 2 came out. not so much now imo.

Definitely didn't help that i was playing Wolfenstein New Order recently. MachineGames/StarBreeze folks are masters getting the 'feel' right for fps.

Another little thing that I wish they'd put more effort into is 'presence'. Switching between cover and first person still feels abrupt and not consistent where my mind thinks Jensen is.

Also still no physical hands when interacting with doors or items on the ground or touchpads or anything. Hovering stuff was fine when half life 2 came out. not so much now imo.

Definitely didn't help that i was playing Wolfenstein New Order recently. MachineGames/StarBreeze folks are masters getting the 'feel' right for fps.

Yeah, I'm a huge sucker for full body awareness stuff. Still it's tremendously improved in MD over HR since there is at least some of that stuff for mantling, big jumps, throws, etc.

In fact mantling is probably my favorite new feature. Makes traversal feel far more satisfying.

Can you imagine how annoying it would be to see a pick up and open animation for everything in a long game like this? Wolfenstein didn't let you pick up random things and open stuff it didn't do pick up animations for weapons, armour and health packs either, so it had little stuff to animate in the first place.

Speaking of which, I lover how much they expanded the story items stuff in your inventory. They are full modeled, can be zoomed and rotated, etc. There seem to be tons of them, too. Really neat attention to detail.

nOoblet16

Can you imagine how annoying it would be to see a pick up and open animation for everything in a long game like this? Wolfenstein didn't let you pick up random things and open stuff it didn't do pick up animations for weapons, armour and health packs either, so it had little stuff to animate in the first place.

The switching to cover bit is an issue that will persist in any FPS game, that also uses third person perspective too, as long as games use different rigs for third person and first person. Star Citizen is the only game I've seen that uses the same rig for both TPS and FPS meabibg the way your character animates in first person is exactly the same animation that plays when in third person and that causes additional issues. And I think they had to do a lot of work to get that working.

zethren

Banned
Hey guys, a couple of early game, first hub world, questions:

I just flew from Praha to the next city, I believe it was called Golem City. Did I just totally miss out on going to investigate the David Seriff side quest? Or will I be able to travel back to Praha and do that later?

WITHE1982

breach mode is still straight up broken for me on PS4

every time he puts on the VR helmet it always locks the game up

Thought it was just me. Happens every time and takes a good minute to unfreeze.

The game also crashed when I finished the first set of breach levels and got a praxis kit to use in the main game. That has now just vanished into thin air (it's not in my L2 storage in main game)

Anyone know where you can buy/get a tranq rifle? I chose stun gun at the start but would love a tranq rifle as well.

To the left of the book store very early on in the game is a wall you can punch through. There's a tranq rifle and battle rifle in there.

https://youtu.be/Ei5rbZ6OLwU?t=35s

Mifec

Hey guys, a couple of early game, first hub world, questions:

I just flew from Praha to the next city, I believe it was called Golem City. Did I just totally miss out on going to investigate the David Seriff side quest? Or will I be able to travel back to Praha and do that later?

If you talked to him already he calls you with new info once you get back to Prag.

Simo

There's a vendor on top floor of the building you live in, check with him. You might also find it in TF29 headquarters lying around.

Man, that vendor got pissed at me when I took all his beer. Kicked me out and now I'm no longer welcome. :(

No:

He's hunting down the Illuminati. He has intel from Alex's organisation that they have infiltrated the Task Force so that's why he joined. He is essentially undercover.

It's pretty much exactly what I would have expected of Adam after HR- I figured that he would be investigating the Illuminati and that's exactly what this is.

He has basically become Paul Denton

I did share your misgivings during the Dubai mission but the first moments of Prague cleared all of that for me.

Uh that information dump would of explained why Jensen is with TF29. lol

It's not that Jensen's situation is not explained, it's that there's no buy-in to make me care about any of this stuff. The Jensen of HR was a corporate lapdog who forged grudging bonds with his colleagues. To be told that, after the aftermath of the first game's events, he basically dropped contact with all of them to go play hero elsewhere in the world is somewhat jarring. He doesn't have a personal vendetta against the Illuminati--even the ex he thought was dead is fine--so to uproot himself in the name of global altruism doesn't really follow.

It's not that Jensen's situation is not explained, it's that there's no buy-in to make me care about any of this stuff. The Jensen of HR was a corporate lapdog who forged grudging bonds with his colleagues. To be told that, after the aftermath of the first game's events, he basically dropped contact with all of them to go play hero elsewhere in the world is somewhat jarring. He doesn't have a personal vendetta against the Illuminati--even the ex he thought was dead is fine--so to uproot himself in the name of global altruism doesn't really follow.

The only colleagues in HR that he would be on reasonably good terms with is Pritchert. Maybe Sarif but that's stretching it. And both are well accounted for in MD.

Well there's Malik to but that's obviously a different situation.

And of course he has a vendetta- the attack that nearly killed him was linked to their schemes.

Tapejara

Really enjoying the game so far. My only complaint is that the animation and lip syncing can be jarring. Wish Eidos would have put more work into that.

Simo

Keep playing. There's more to the story that explains that and what happened to Jensen in the 2 years between games and why he joined the Collective.

nOoblet16

The only colleagues in HR that he would be on reasonably good terms with is Pritchert. Maybe Sarif but that's stretching it. And both are well accounted for in MD.

And of course he has a vendetta- the attack that nearly killed him was linked to their schemes.
There's also the fact that if you go speak to Sarif at the end of HR you can see Jensen doesn't give much of a fuck about him, but he does give a fuck when it comes to the illuminati. Which is why his reaction to Sarif at start of MD is in line with his character.

He also would have had a fall out with Megan, after their conversation in the white room. Malik, I guess is dead canonically unless she shows up later in DLC sequel. Plus Jensen also spends a yesr unconscious and wakes up with an amnesia.

You'll find out stuff in the game that will explain a lot of things.

Simo

There's also the fact that if you go speak to Sarif at the end of HR you can see Jensen doesn't give much of a fuck about him, but he does give a fuck when it comes to the illuminati. Which is why his reaction to Sarif at start of MD is in line with his character.

He also would have had a fall out with Megan, after their conversation in the white room. Malik, I guess is dead canonically unless she shows up later in DLC sequel. Plus Jensen also spends a yesr unconscious and wakes up with an amnesia.

You'll find out stuff in the game that will explain a lot of things.

She's alive. Jensen reminisces about her and toys with the idea of trying to find her in the new Black Light novel and in your apartment in the bedroom, there's a floor panel that can be opened with a care package and e-books from Pritchard and also one for Malek where it says the Collective is getting her passes in order so she can come to Europe to join Jensen.

Why would he be estranged from Sarif? Jensen was doing his bidding for 90% of the first game, out of a combination of loyalty and gratitude for saving his life. Nothing about the ending changed that relationship; why would it be strained now?

The other big question mark is Megan--he learned his ex wasn't actually dead for the past few months, and he doesn't speak to her again after jetting off to the arctic to save the world?

I'm not saying he has no motivation to "do the right thing", but nothing about the Illuminati's schemes were personal in a way that would cause him to drop everything else.

Keep playing. There's more to the story that explains that and what happened to Jensen in the 2 years between games and why he joined the Collective.

Thanks, this is what I was looking for.

nOoblet16

This guy :p

She's alive. Jensen reminisces about her and toys with the idea of trying to find her in the new Black Light novel and in your apartment in the bedroom, there's a floor panel that can be opened with a care package and e-books from Pritchard and also one for Malek where it says the Collective is getting her passes in order so she can come to Europe to join Jensen.

nOoblet16

Why would he be estranged from Sarif? Jensen was doing his bidding for 90% of the first game, out of a combination of loyalty and gratitude for saving his life. Nothing about the ending changed that relationship; why would it be strained now?

The other big question mark is Megan--he learned his ex wasn't actually dead for the past few months, and he doesn't speak to her again after jetting off to the arctic to save the world?

I'm not saying he has no motivation to "do the right thing", but nothing about the Illuminati's schemes were personal in a way that would cause him to drop everything else.

Thanks, this is what I was looking for.
Did you not have the conversation with Sarif at the end of HR? Also the fact that he involved in an experiment without his consent (not the augmentations as thatbwas in his clause).

Top Bottom