• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Deus Ex: Mankind Divided |OT| We Asked For This

Redlogic

I'm eight hours in and I've just been exploring every nook and cranny of Prague. Did the intro mission, woke up in Prague and it's just been hour upon hour of glorious, wonderful sidequesting; this place is tunnels on air ducts on sewers and everything is connected. I can't walk for ten seconds without seeing something that needs hacking, which leads me on a little mini-adventure seeing where it leads.

I found the Australian SAS dude's apartment, and stumbled upon his hidden safe room, stole all his stuff, sold it to the nearby weapons dealer, then found a back-entrance into the weapons dealer's private stash and sold all his stuff back to him. I'm making a killing here :p

Haha, I just did this exact same thing! Got access to a storage locker, which i then punched a whole through to gain access to the room next door. I'm looking around, find a secret entrance which leads you into the store! When i popped the secret entrance open, I was thinking "Woaah, now where does this lead!". I love that it all started by gaining access to a random apartment. Fantastic game so far, really enjoying it (minus the lip/voice syncing issues with cut scenes and the background music stopping and starting).

nOoblet16

Oh my God game ends so abruptly. Just as the things started to get interesting and the story arc found it's way, it just ended! Even Jensen was like "Nah we didn't do shit" in the last cut-scene. I enjoyed every minute of it but it's clear that someone cut this game into two or three parts.

Prague is too dense and big for it to be a game that has been cut in 2-3 parts with other hubs the same size and density as Prague in one game.
They made the game with sequel in mind and nothing wrong with it. You were never going to destroy or cripple the Illuminati, infact you never will in any of the Jensen games because we know what happens in DE1.

But I really do not understand where the opinion about the ending being abrupt comes from, the payoff might be small but abrupt? I don't see it. Are you telling me you didn't know the game was coming to an end the last time you reached Prague? Or are you telling me you didn't know the last level was the last level ? You get a speech, that music, the special location, the exposition and the event, plus the fact that it brings all important characters together...it's easy to see how it was the last level and even before that when you were in Prague there was a sense of urgency.

Anyways the game had a story to tell that began in the prologue and it saw that particular story to its conclusion, it might be relatively meager in scale but you don't really need a world ending scenario at the end of every game for the payoff to be good. That event at the end was important enough in the context of the story being told to be world changing, since it would mean
the segregation would start to dissipate.
Just because there was an overarching plot that will be continued in the sequel does not make it incomplete. That's like saying Harry Potter books were incomplete because Voldemort doesn't die until the 7th book.

Granted, I think the cutscene editing after you defeat the final boss could have been better.

DOWN

Banned
Jensen's hair in the wind *phew* that's the only graphically impressive thing and man is it a good one

PS4 is meh graphically honestly. Yet again shocked they waste resources building their own engine branch for no particular great result. PC doesn't look much better. The PBR is mild is hell.

nOoblet16

Jensen's hair in the wind *phew* that's the only graphically impressive thing and man is it a good one

PS4 is meh graphically honestly. Yet again shocked they waste resources building their own engine branch for no particular great result. PC doesn't look much better. The PBR is mild is hell.

What are you even talking about this is one of the most consistent use of PBR I've seen in a game, stonework looks fantastic and is usually the hardest one to do as do the lighting and reflections. Also they didn't really build this engine they modified an existing one. Even if they had used UE4 they would have had to modify it to their liking.

They couldn't have just picked up a middleware engine and made this game with the way it is without modifications.

Prague is too dense and big for it to be a game that has been cut in 2-3 parts. They made the game with sequel in mind and nothing wrong with it. You were never going to destroy or cripple the Illuminati, infact you never will in any of the Jensen games because we know what happens in DE1.

But I really do not understand where the opinion about the ending being abrupt comes from, the payoff might be small but abrupt? I don't see it. Are you telling me you didn't know the game was coming to an end the last time you reached Prague? Or are you telling me you didn't know the last level was the last level ? Despite the fact that it starts with that speech, the music, the special location, the exposition and the event, plus the fact that it brings all important characters together. I simply cannot see how that can be.

Anyways the game had a story to tell that began in the prologue and it saw that particular story to its conclusion, it might be relatively meager inscale but you don't need a world ending scenario at the end of every game for the payoff to be good. That event at the end was important enough in the context of the story being told, it would also mean
the segregation would start to dissipate.
Just because there was an overarching plot that will be continued in the sequel does not make it incomplete. That's like saying Harry Potter books were incomplete because Voldemort doesn't die until the 7th book.

Granted, I think the editing after you defeat the final boss could have been a bit better.

I'm only 8 or so hours in and I really like this perspective. I was worried the story would let me down in the game but you're right. Not every story needs to be grand in scale, and if this one tells a more personal, smaller story in the Deus Ex Universe, and sets it up for a sequel I'm totally down for it.

There needs to be more immersive sims out there!

From what I've played I really wish there was a sort of day/night cycle in Prague though. It would give that atmosphere that Deus Ex Human Revolution had which I feel Mankind Divided lacks due to it being set in the day so much (from what I've played so far). There are so many cool pieces of architecture in the game that I feel would look incredible at night. And I watched Jim Sterlings impressions video on youtube and he comments on a similar thing. Where HR had the piss filter, he would have enjoyed a filter to MD to give it a certain aesthetic. I think that would have been a great idea. But I'm probably in the minority here due to the fact I enjoyed the yellow/orange filter of Human Revolution lol.

CHC

I will be buying this in less than an hours time. So I will ask again.

Is this game worth it and how much better is it compared to HR?

Yes it is worth it.

Other than graphics and shooting, it isn't notably better than Human Revolution. But it's not worse either. If you liked HR, you'll like this.

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
My GTX 970 keeps dropping to the 40s, and it rarely maintains a consistent 60 fps :( This is without maxing everything. Think my RAM is holding me back, might lock the framerate to 45.

nOoblet16

I'm only 8 or so hours in and I really like this perspective. I was worried the story would let me down in the game but you're right. Not every story needs to be grand in scale, and if this one tells a more personal, smaller story in the Deus Ex Universe, and sets it up for a sequel I'm totally down for it.

From what I've played I really wish there was a sort of day/night cycle in Prague though. It would give that atmosphere that Deus Ex Human Revolution had which I feel Mankind Divided lacks due to it being set in the day so much (from what I've played so far). There are so many cool pieces of architecture in the game that I feel would look incredible at night. And I watched Jim Sterlings impressions video on youtube and he comments on a similar thing. Where HR had the piss filter, he would have enjoyed a filter to MD to give it a certain aesthetic. I think that would have been a great idea. But I'm probably in the minority here due to the fact I enjoyed the yellow/orange filter of Human Revolution lol.

Just play some more.

CHC

From what I've played I really wish there was a sort of day/night cycle in Prague though. It would give that atmosphere that Deus Ex Human Revolution had which I feel Mankind Divided lacks due to it being set in the day so much (from what I've played so far). There are so many cool pieces of architecture in the game that I feel would look incredible at night.

Keep playing!

Ghosting/non-lethaling these last few levels:

zDvgBUW.gif

Alias03

It's funny you say that cause I felt the same way (kinda) in Deus Ex HR due to all the gameplay taking place at night. I thought it would be nice to have a few missions in the daylight.

It's funny you say that cause I felt the same way (kinda) in Deus Ex HR due to all the gameplay taking place at night. I thought it would be nice to have a few missions in the daylight.

There were several missions in the daytime though. Panchea and another mission?

But seriously a day/night cycle for all the hub worlds going forward for Deus Ex would be amazing imo. Especially considering how much time us Deus Ex fans spend playing in these hubs exploring every nook and cranny, observing the beautiful architecture and art direction these games are so full of :p

Alias03

There were several missions in the daytime though. Panchea and another mission?

Bit seriously a day/night cycle for all the hub worlds going forward for Deus Ex would be amazing imo. Especially considering how much time us Deus Ex playing spend in these hubs exploring every nook and cranny, observing the beautiful architecture and art direction these games are so full of :p

Panchaea was at the very end and you're right that was in the daytime but that's the only one I can think of... May be wrong tho

DOWN

Banned
What are you even talking about this is one of the most consistent use of PBR I've seen in a game, stonework looks fantastic and is usually the hardest one to do as do the lighting and reflections. Also they didn't really build this engine they modified an existing one. Even if they had used UE4 they would have had to modify it to their liking.

They couldn't have just picked up a middleware engine and made this game with the way it is without modifications.
I said they built their own "branch" as the game uses Dawn engine which is basically their spinoff of Glacier which is stupid because all of Square's studios build their own engines and branches and don't share the tech, so none of them are competitive for best visuals and improvements to Dawn aren't going to be used to advance Glacier and vice versa . It's the polar opposite of Frostbite, which arguably pumps out the most graphically competitive multiplatform games like Battlefront, Need for Speed, etc. along with impressively large locations like those in BioWare titles. Those studios all share tech to improve each studio's work and have thus built a fantastic beast of an engine. Square just lets each studio blow money on their own subpar tech instead of unifying those development costs into a company-wide engine that can compete with the consistency and visuals Ubisoft and EA manage with their engines.

Panchea was at the very end and you're right that was in the daytime but that's the only one I can think of... May be wrong tho

I'm thinking of Tai Yong Medical. Although the mission takes place completely inside the building, it's daylight outside. I remember coming up that elevator and being greeted with a lovely view of Upper Hengsha in the daytime looking pristine, and I really hoped I could visit that area later in the game. Which unfortunately never happened. I believe there were plans to do Upper Hengsha but was cut due to time contraints?

Glass

I'm hearing good things about a side quest involving a
murderer.
I'm working my way through Golem City for the first time, I've not cut myself off from any quests so far have I?

nOoblet16

I said they built their own "branch" as the game uses Dawn engine which is basically their spinoff of Glacier which is stupid because all of Square's studios build their own engines and branches and don't share the tech, so none of them are competitive for best visuals and improvements to Dawn aren't going to be used to advance Glacier and vice versa . It's the polar opposite of Frostbite, which arguably pumps out the most graphically competitive multiplatform games like Battlefront, Need for Speed, etc. along with impressively large locations like those in BioWare titles. Those studios all share tech to improve each studio's work and have thus built a fantastic beast of an engine. Square just lets each studio blow money on their own subpar tech instead of unifying those development costs into a company-wide engine that can compete with the consistency and visuals Ubisoft and EA manage with their engines.

Branching is no different than modifying an engine. You think EA studios just use Frostbite without any modifications and dump their game on it to make it work ? What Eidos Montreal did here is no different from what EA studios do, slapping a fancy name on it does not make it different.

Even if Eidos had gone for UE for or any other middleware they would have had to make modifications, simply because most engines need it inorder to support a game. More so in case of Deus Ex with its non linear game design, large areas and moveable objects. These are three things not common in games even today. A game engine is not just about Graphics, animations or even AI.

You talk about Ubisoft but Ubisoft has more games in different engines than any other publisher, Division, Watch Dogs, AC, Ghost Recon all have totally different engines. While Rainbow Six is the only one that is a branching that required heavy modifications.

Jeffrey

Can you take out dudes with heavy boxes like a fridge? Is it nonlethal?

Anyone else find jumping to be really wonky? Like the acceleration is completely off and sometimes you have to jump once or twice.

Also keep encountering the bug that your iron lungs or electric shield 'turns off' after interacting with something (hack keypad etc) and i die a sad death.

I'm going for a Pacifist/Foxiest run. Does finishing SM01 prevent either of those? It's not very clear, especially with everyone being alerted and "searching" after
the cops take Drhamori (or whatever his name is) out.

I'm going for a Pacifist/Foxiest run. Does finishing SM01 prevent either of those? It's not very clear, especially with everyone being alerted and "searching" after
the cops take Drhamori (or whatever his name is) out.

Crap yeah I'd like to know that too. I got the cops to arrest him but all they did was get in a full blown shootout and kill loads of people. I'm hoping that doesn't affect my pacifist run....

DOWN

Banned
Branching is no different than modifying an engine. You think EA studios just use Frostbite without any modifications and dump their game on it to make it work ? What Eidos Montreal did here is no different from what EA studios do, slapping a fancy name on it does not make it different.

Even if Eidos had gone for UE for or any other middleware they would have had to make modifications, simply because most engines need it inorder to support a game. More so in case of Deus Ex with its non linear game design, large areas and moveable objects. These are three things not common in games even today.

A game engine is not just about Graphics, animations or even AI.

Yes, every game that uses an existing engine modifies it. Clearly Mass Effect or the Arkham games aren't running on plain ass versions of Unreal. Battlefield 4 and Inquisition clearly took some different tooling to manage, despite the name Frostbite.

That's not the case here based on the announcement thread. Dawn got its own name instead of Glacier because it's an actual ongoing engine branch, not simply modifications made for this single franchise or title. Dawn is on track to be built upon without much regard for Glacier or Hitman. It's not just Eidos grabbing the latest version of Glacier and taking the necessary steps to use it for their game and being weirdos by giving it a full blown engine name and strategic outlook.

Regginator

Two steps forward in terms of gameplay, one step backwards in terms of story. I haven't even finished it yet, so the alleged "abrupt ending" hasn't soured me yet.

I'm enjoying my time with it.

Do Side Missions ever get locked out for you if you progress too much in the main story?

Please someone answer this. I'm paranoid. I just left for Golem City but I'm worried I canceled the hacker and neon side missions and they were just getting good. Also how do I find the golden ticket side mission everyone is talking anout?

Vuze

Do Side Missions ever get locked out for you if you progress too much in the main story?
It's been mentioned multiple times in here that you will receive a warning once you are about to definitely miss a side quest. I can't confirm that yet however.

nOoblet16

Yes, every game that uses an existing engine modifies it. Clearly Mass Effect or the Arkham games aren't running on plain ass versions of Unreal. Battlefield 4 and Inquisition clearly took some different tooling to manage, despite the name Frostbite.

That's not the case here based on the announcement thread. Dawn got its own name instead of Glacier because it's an actual ongoing engine branch, not simply modifications made for this single franchise or title. Dawn is on track to be built upon without much regard for Glacier or Hitman. It's not just Eidos grabbing the latest version of Glacier and taking the necessary steps to use it for their game and being weirdos by giving it a full blown engine name and strategic outlook.
But it is..they used Glacier 2.0 and modified it so that it could support their game and they will continue to use it for future Deus Ex games without any interference to and from IO. This is exactly how COD engines work as well as any game franchise that licenses a middleware or uses in-house engine. They branch off and with heavy modifications...these are AAA games with big scope we are talking about here...it's never just a simple modification.

Engine naming is completely arbitrary, just because one isnt named does not make the modifications "simple" compared to one that is named or vice versa.

Buntabox

Little disappointed the Huntsman Silverback double barrel isn't in the game. Became my go-to on subsequent HR replays. Go stealth until caught. Then give em both barrels. It's more aesthetically pleasing than the combat shotgun too.

Moff

gameplay, leveldesign and quest design is absolutely fantastic, best in any deus ex game so far.
story is super unsatisfying and the game generally lacks interesting settings, events and characters

Ghosting/non-lethaling these last few levels:

zDvgBUW.gif

what's your playstyle? I play on give me deus ex and I think it's very easy to stealth/pacify in this game.
it just takes a lot of time the way i do it.

i always lure enemies to my location by showing myself to them until the yellow bar is full, they come investigate and I subdue them.

it's probably even easier if I didn't care about them actually spotting me or using the tesla, but that's not stealthy enough for me

Holy shit, is that a
Hyperion
reference in the neighboring apartment from Jensen's?? AWESOME!!

Loving the game so far. Shooting feels a little "weak" and not punchy, but it's not bad.

Game is great.

StewboaT_

This is one of the strangest gaming experiences I've had in a while. On one hand, the game is ugly, janky as fuck, and runs like shit on the ps4, and yet I just can't put it down. The ability to craft your own experience based on the augmentations you choose is so cool and some of the gameplay encounters are straight up fun as hell. Trying to stealth through loads of enemies as an overpowered augmented freak is just what the doctor ordered.

Question tho, I've just got to the area after Prague and my biofuel? meter has been at the minimum the entire game. Am I suppose to be buying the recharge packs?? Never really have enough to craft either.

WITHE1982

What are the most worthwhile new augs?

Depends on your play style. For me remote hacking and Icarus dash are the stand out ones.

Remote hacking can disable turrets and robots in seconds plus it can unlock a lot of stuff that you otherwise would miss.
Icarus dash is basically the blink skill from Dishonored. it's great for vertical traversal.

The rest are all combat related and I'm trying to stealth/ghost most encounters so I've not really bothered with them.

So the
Mafia guy
called me up and said that I need to fullfil my favour by
killing some shop owner

But the quest isn't in the side missions tab. Am I missing something here or is that a bug ? Sucks if it's a bug. Can I go to him and take the quest from him or is it gone forever?

Kind of thinking of holding off playing until the next patch...doesn't look like there's much hope for one today, so next week probably. =/

Glass

The atmosphere in The Throat is amazing. Could have taken that first lift all the way up (I think) but I've been climbing all the pods and using the smaller lifts to snake my way up. Screenshotting like mad as I go.

Horns

I found a trick to move heavy objects if you haven't bought the upgrade yet. Drag a body next to the heavy object and it will move it. Other objects like boxes or barrels don't have the same effect. This may have been posted already.

Anyone know if the whole "not getting all of your Season Pass/Day One DLC" thing has been fixed on Xbox One? Sent two messages to support and have dug around and nothing.

Ruff

New patch on steam just now.

No, the crash to desktop when using the subway later in the game is not fixed. Guess I'm not playing this week anymore :/

Regginator

New patch on steam just now.

No, the crash to desktop when using the subway later in the game is not fixed. Guess I'm not playing this week anymore :/

What mission number does this happen? I'm now doing 8 and 9. I might wait before using the subway then. Hopefully there'll be a patch for it in the coming days.

http://forums.eu.square-enix.com/showthread.php?t=191026

· Adjustments to the Mouse Sensitivity settings, which mean that you can now set sensitivity for the X and Y axis separately.
· Increased range of Mouse Sensitivity settings.
· Fixed an issue that could cause missing geometry in the Dubai level.
· Fixed an issue with player movement and running on stairs and sloped surfaces.
· Fixed various issues with 21:9 setups.
· Fixed an issue where the “Unmark All” prompt would stay on screen.
· Field of view setting now displays the angle used.

Mouse sensitivity fixes, stair bug fix, Unmark All fix! Fuck yeah!

Top Bottom