• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Deus Ex: Mankind Divided |OT| We Asked For This

Anung

Un Rama
Just did a pacifist and Foxiest of Hounds run on GMDE difficulty. Wasn't that bad outside of a few bits were I had to repeat saves to make sure drones didn't randomly trigger.

SomTervo

^^ I think that must be a bug because I didn't encounter those issues during those quests. The game in general is pretty janky...I've encountered several crashes on PC (more than I usually do with other games).

Right, fair enough. It was very irritating; good to know it wasn't ubiquitous.

Mooreberg

is sharpening a shovel and digging a ditch
So guys and galls, PS4 version, yes or no? Now, or wait?
It is pretty solid with the patch. Just save before you take the train, or you might hit a phantom load screen and have to get thrown back a bit to your last autosave.

Anybody who wants a fail proof method of the Invisible War trophy/achievement:
If you use the sneak about method in London, you get a perfect opportunity right after the in perspective cutscene in the camera monitor room. Just tranquilize the first enemy who wanders by the staircase to the left, go invisible and run down, and the other enemies who move in will go invisible and give you an opportunity to melee them.

After plowing through much of the game in the span of days, the last section will probably take just as long thanks to work. UGH.

mbpm1

I'm playing the pacifist route. I leveled the hacking with robot when i activate friendly fire and they kill enemies does this ruin the achievement ?

I assume so.

I was going to go pacifist, but on some levels I just couldn't be bothered to deal with the large amount of enemies and turned on the killbots to clear things out.

Maybe I'll replay with a more relaxed approach today.

Rked

I assume so.

I was going to go pacifist, but on some levels I just couldn't be bothered to deal with the large amount of enemies and turned on the killbots to clear things out.

Maybe I'll replay with a more relaxed approach today.

Thanks man!.. Loving the game pretty much a dues ex game which is great !

I don't get what they're doing with Adam's character. He COULD be interesting. His apartment in both games does a lot to humanize him, but none of that ever actually translates to how he interacts with people. Even in Human Revolution, when he finds out he was born in a lab and his parents were killed in an "accident," he strains as hard as he can not to show emotion. It's like he's on the brink of being a deconstruction of "grizzled white guy" but instead firmly adheres to it.

I like Adam, but I agree they've done very little with his character. Honestly the series needs a new protagonist. I have a feeling that this rumored "trilogy" will all feature Adam, though.

The Glitch sidequest was pretty good. And featured Adam showing an emotion of sorts. Wish the game was more focused on Adam and the conspiracy ridiculousness than the somewhat ham-fisted segregation stuff.

mbpm1

The Glitch sidequest was pretty good. And featured Adam showing an emotion of sorts. Wish the game was more focused on Adam and the conspiracy ridiculousness than the somewhat ham-fisted segregation stuff.

Yeah, I thought that segregation metaphor could have been better. Or at least not quite as drawn out. The conspiracy elements were surprisingly light for me.

Tovarisc

But it doesn't focus on that, not really. It's theme that goes through whole game from beginning to end, but I wouldn't say it's where games focus is. It's something that exists at background and supports game narrative.

Window

Yeah, I thought that segregation metaphor could have been better. Or at least not quite as drawn out. The conspiracy elements were surprisingly light for me.

Surprisingly to me the metaphor actually worked out much better than I thought it would going in to the game. The stories/characters found in side missions and the in the hubs in general do a pretty convincing job. Perhaps its because of the setting but I see stronger parallels to Jewish persecution during WW2 than with American segregation. However I'm not sure how well it meshes with the other parts of the story and it doesn't seem to amount to much in the main narrative.

mbpm1

Surprisingly to me the metaphor actually worked out much better than I thought it would going in to the game. The stories/characters found in side missions and the in the hubs in general do a pretty convincing job. Perhaps its because of the setting but I see stronger parallels to Jewish persecution during WW2 than with American segregation. However I'm not sure how well it meshes with the other parts of the story and it doesn't seem to amount to much in the main narrative.

It's not too bad because it's not overbearing and we get to hear multiple aspects of it, but it ultimately doesn't resolve which is pretty much what I expected to be disappointed by.

2nd larger area where box drones are and augs practicing. Was just chilling in one of the lockers in room where those box drones are.

To be more specific, and it's realllly hard to spot without Smart Vision:

The lockers in the northwest corner. There is a button BEHIND the locker, that if you press, will unlock a seperate compartment *inside* one of the lockers with the Kill Switch inside.

Which is why it was completely stupid of them to let "Aug Lives Matter" through. Such a poorly thought-out parallel to current events that isn't even a particularly relevant comparison. The police state, a designated ghetto, deporting people, constant stops for papers, spying on and reporting neighbors, and even that the game takes place in Eastern Europe. The parallels run much stronger to events like Jewish persecution, which, while also not exactly groundbreaking, is really at odds with weak attempts to be "contemporary."

It's not too bad because it's not overbearing and we get to hear multiple aspects of it, but it ultimately doesn't resolve which is pretty much what I expected to be disappointed by.

Not sure that I expect it to be resolved. The game seems to be answering the question of "Wait, why aren't augmentations more common in DX1" that HR posed.

h0tp0ck3t

Uh-oh I think I may have broke something lol
So earlier in Prague I cleaned out the bank and knocked out the account manager guy in the process. Now I just got back from Golem and when I talk to the receptionist again I have the option Talk to Account Manager. Receptionist calls the guy and is like "I'm sending a new client over." the dude aint in his office and after a quick peak at the 3rd floor offices he aint there either. I tried waiting a little to see if he'd show up in his office but nothing.

Uh-oh I think I may have broke something lol
So earlier in Prague I cleaned out the bank and knocked out the account manager guy in the process. Now I just got back from Golem and when I talk to the receptionist again I have the option Talk to Account Manager. Receptionist calls the guy and is like "I'm sending a new client over." the dude aint in his office and after a quick peak at the 3rd floor offices he aint there either. I tried waiting a little to see if he'd show up in his office but nothing.

I think somebody needs to see him to wake him up. So you can either just skip that and infiltrate, or drag the body where somebody will find it. (Or lure somebody to come look)

Window

Which is why it was completely stupid of them to let "Aug Lives Matter" through. Such a poorly thought-out parallel to current events that isn't even a particularly relevant comparison. The police state, a designated ghetto, deporting people, constant stops for papers, spying on and reporting neighbors, and even that the game takes place in Eastern Europe. The parallels run much stronger to events like Jewish persecution, which, while also not exactly groundbreaking, is really at odds with weak attempts to be "contemporary."

Or even the use of the term "mechanical apartheid". I don't know why they went against the obvious analogy.

Orcastar

Why is everyone complaining that I "attacked" the police at the
bombing site
? All I did was punch three of them in the face, yet everyone's acting if I'm some kind of monster who goes around killing people.

I'm curious, I know I have all the extra stuff in the storage from pre-orders/season pass (like Praxis points, credits, etc), if I use none of them in a playthrough, will I have them for the next playthrough?

I'm curious, I know I have all the extra stuff in the storage from pre-orders/season pass (like Praxis points, credits, etc), if I use none of them in a playthrough, will I have them for the next playthrough?

Idk, someone a few pages back said NG+ wipes whatever you leave in storage. That being said, since it's dlc, I think it'll always be available. That's how it was for HR.

Why is everyone complaining that I "attacked" the police at the
bombing site
? All I did was punch three of them in the face, yet everyone's acting if I'm some kind of monster who goes around killing people.

Idk man an interpol agent dropping in on a crime scene and punching multiple police officers unconscious sounds like a violent attack to me.

Is there wording that specifically states that you killed people? I ghosted that section thinking my boss wouldn't like me attacking police.

Akai__

This Deus Ex Universe app is making things up.

Was trying to check whether or not I'd killed anyone, but it says my most used weapon is the Machine Pistol with 2 kills.

I have never once used the Machine Pistol. =/

Also 0 hours played...

Just checked and yeah...

6MnXhW3.jpg

Yeah that pissed me off since it took a good amount of time to literally knock out every "hostile" in the way to meet the great leader of ARC lol

Yeah, I replayed the entire section. The trigger for me was allowing them to get into any sort of alert state. Even if I took them down non-lethally any hostile enemy reaction triggered the "you left a bloody swatch on your way here". When I I did it without being detected (but still using non-lethal takedowns), I got the correct response.

Orcastar

Idk man an interpol agent dropping in on a crime scene and punching multiple police officers unconscious sounds like a violent attack to me.

Is there wording that specifically states that you killed people? I ghosted that section thinking my boss wouldn't like me attacking police.

But they didn't even see me coming. Could have been anyone!

The police are reporting that they were attacked by another augmented terrorist. They don't specifically state that I killed anyone, but the way some of the other characters are commenting on it makes it seem like I did. Kinda makes me want to replay the mission...

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
Yeah, I replayed the entire section. The trigger for me was allowing them to get into any sort of alert state. Even if I took them down non-lethally any hostile enemy reaction triggered the "you left a bloody swatch on your way here". When I I did it without being detected (but still using non-lethal takedowns), I got the correct response.

Since only found out about the issue after the fact made me most def not want to do that again since its one hell of a job with how many enemies were placed there.

Honestly the real reason for doing that was to me hostiles = exp rather than wanting to be heroic or humane. lol

obeast

I like Adam, but I agree they've done very little with his character. Honestly the series needs a new protagonist. I have a feeling that this rumored "trilogy" will all feature Adam, though.

Yeah, that's got to be one of the weaker parts of the series. Everything about Adam is a cipher. I assume they're trying to maintain some flexibility about his opinions (am I happy to be half-robot or upset? Am I a cop or a rebel?), but in practice he just seems sedated.

I saw a comment thread somewhere that fixated on whether Adam still had functioning male junk. It's juvenile, but it speaks to how disconnected we are from his psychology - we don't even know if he's been effectively neutered by his transformation. And if not, we don't know whether he's sexually active, or whether he's so weirded out by everything that he's become celibate.

Obviously, Deus Ex is not a romance simulator, and I'm not suggesting that the game force in some sort of romantic subplot or anything like that. But just a little insight into his mindset would be nice.

Jeffrey

Oh i think i killed a guy in that section when i turned on the breaker upstairs.

yeesh.

Also Jensen really should put on a disguise when doing infiltration stuff. You are freaking scanned at every train stop and people know you are interpol, maybe put on a hoodie when breaking the law and punching cops?

At some point in the game, I kinda realized that its easier and quicker to just engage in a 'nonlethal' firefight with a building than just stealth around lol.

The AI in this game (at least on normal) is too dumb. You can easily take out an army just by hanging around cover and taking pot shots and folks charging at you with the stun gun, or just the tranq rifle for the other dudes.

Get the gas and electric shield and flash protect augs and their grenades won't do anything either lol.

You can then go around exploring afterwards in peace.

Glad game got options!

So I just discovered that you can search car trunks and that they have all sorts of goodies.

Yeah, that's got to be one of the weaker parts of the series. Everything about Adam is a cipher. I assume they're trying to maintain some flexibility about his opinions (am I happy to be half-robot or upset? Am I a cop or a rebel?), but in practice he just seems sedated.

I saw a comment thread somewhere that fixated on whether Adam still had functioning male junk. It's juvenile, but it speaks to how disconnected we are from his psychology - we don't even know if he's been effectively neutered by his transformation. And if not, we don't know whether he's sexually active, or whether he's so weirded out by everything that he's become celibate.

Obviously, Deus Ex is not a romance simulator, and I'm not suggesting that the game force in some sort of romantic subplot or anything like that. But just a little insight into his mindset would be nice.

Yeah, I remember an interview with Warren Spector where he talked about how they tried to make JC sound as generic as possible so that you could sort of insert in the character you wanted. Sort of like a silent protagonist that's not silent. Even with that I feel like I got more insight into JC then I ever have with Adam.

mbpm1

The AI in this game (at least on normal) is too dumb. You can easily take out an army just by hanging around cover and taking pot shots and folks charging at you with the stun gun, or just the tranq rifle for the other dudes.

I took out 11 guys just by standing in a doorway, exposing myself, then going into cover next to it and shooting every enemy that made it past the door.

Drones are the only real problem in later game

Yay screenshots

Everything looks normal
Ns2XFe6.jpg

Ohhh wait...
5kSTnFv.jpg

Congratulations Ms. Unnamed NPC Lady, its a old...balding, grey haired, fully grown old man.
yZaZiFs.jpg

I had to dump everything I had to stop my game from crashing every time I exited the shooting range.
uQLSVeY.jpg

obeast

Yeah, I remember an interview with Warren Spector where he talked about how they tried to make JC sound as generic as possible so that you could sort of insert in the character you wanted. Sort of like a silent protagonist that's not silent. Even with that I feel like I got more insight into JC then I ever have with Adam.

I played the first game close to release, so my memories of it are pretty foggy -- I can't remember much about JC as a character -- but I'd generally argue that as graphics and voice acting improve, games should feel more pressure to create believable protagonists.

When everyone's face is made of, like, 7 polygons, I can accept blank-slate automatons as a sort of genre convention. When the character start to look and move like real people, I have a much harder time of it.

nOoblet16

Everytime I quicksave from cover and then load it later it launches me right to the spot I was aiming automatically without my pushing anything. This happens every time from cover.
Yes it's a bug, but there is a workaround.

When you are done loading press and hold space, don't let go of it until you are in control of Adam. Pressing space gets rid of loading screen it's the m moment you release it that counts as the command to move Adam.

Jeffrey

I took out 11 guys just by standing in a doorway, exposing myself, then going into cover next to it and shooting every enemy that made it past the door.

Drones are the only real problem in later game

I just stun them with emp pistol ammo, or upgraded remote hack puts them out of action for 30 seconds.

remote hack is the only experimental aug worth investing in.

The dash move is neat, but kinda buggy for me.

Applesauce

Boom! Bitch-slapped!
Yes it's a bug, but there is a workaround.

When you are done loading press and hold space, don't let go of it until you are in control of Adam. Pressing space gets rid of loading screen it's the m moment you release it that counts as the command to move Adam.

Awesome, thanks for the tip.

I gave this game about 3 hours and I just can't get into it... Everything story related is so boooring. And although the abilities are sort of cool, they are nowhere even close to being as exciting as abilities in Dishonored for example. Maybe it's not a game for me? I'm just trying to understand if I missed something...

Jeffrey

I gave this game about 3 hours and I just can't get into it... Everything story related is so boooring. And although the abilities are sort of cool, they are nowhere even close to being as exciting as abilities in Dishonored for example. Maybe it's not a game for me? I'm just trying to understand if I missed something...

Do not come to this game expecting Dishonor speed run feats.

Story is boring, nothing is really 'exciting'. its basically an old school pc rpg of sorts.

crouch walk around, and hack stuff for 20 hours.

Acorn

I played the first game close to release, so my memories of it are pretty foggy -- I can't remember much about JC as a character -- but I'd generally argue that as graphics and voice acting improve, games should feel more pressure to create believable protagonists.

When everyone's face is made of, like, 7 polygons, I can accept blank-slate automatons as a sort of genre convention. When the character start to look and move like real people, I have a much harder time of it.
There is a place for both.

Fallout 4 is infinitely worse for being voiced for example.

Moff

I am a huge fan of the deus ex franchise since day 1 and I honestly expect dishonored 2 to be the much better game

Tovarisc

I am a huge fan of the deus ex franchise since day 1 and I honestly expect dishonored 2 to be the much better game

DH2 most likely will be decent to good game like DH1, but I don't expect it to scratch same itch as good DX or similar game does. To me DH1 was way too shallow in handling its characters and hub was just lackluster.

Do not come to this game expecting Dishonor speed run feats.

Story is boring, nothing is really 'exciting'. its basically an old school pc rpg of sorts.

crouch walk around, and hack stuff for 20 hours.

I honestly feel that there would be a higher chance that DX would grab me if it didn't have any story at all :). Because the story is there I feel obligated to read notes and listen to dialogue, but I get so bored when doing so that I'm half asleep by the time there's some gameplay. I know it's probably worse at the beginning than it is later in a game, but it kind of ruined the whole experience for me to the point where I don't know if I'm going to bother playing it again...

I'm with you there, maybe not much better since I'm adoring MD, but Dishonored scratched an itch that no game has before, and if DH2 makes good on its promises like the first game did, it'll be my game of the year.

Top Bottom