• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Deus Ex: Mankind Divided |OT| We Asked For This

w0s

EDIT: apparently shit on a previous page.

I look forward to dishonored 2. Really enjoyed DE:MD so another good game would be great.

shiba5

Oh wow, if you're patient enough to play some Jenga with boxes, you can do the Ruzicka station without ever seeing a guard. Love this game.

I'm confused this seems like such a random thing to say. Okay great you think a different game will be better. I mean shit there is almost always a better game on the horizon.

I'd say it's a valid comparison, they're both immersive sims inspired by similar games.

Jeffrey

I honestly feel that there would be a higher chance that DX would grab me if it didn't have any story at all :). Because the story is there I feel obligated to read notes and listen to dialogue, but I get so bored when doing so that I'm half asleep by the time there's some gameplay. I know it's probably worse at the beginning than it is later in a game, but it kind of ruined the whole experience for me to the point where I don't know if I'm going to bother playing it again...

it's a slow/crappy starter, and for the most part the 'main story' is a tiny portion of the game. I (and many people here) spent 10+ hours doing other stuff after the tutorial prologue just exploring and doing side quests without touching the main stuff.

If all the writing in the game bores you, best trade it in or refund it if you can. Probably not your thing.

Glass

Btw there is a bunch of additional dialogue when for instance a cutscene ends and the game lets you run off. Whether its talking to Chicane right after he's dropped you off in Prague, or the detective after you have the necessary info to run off, there's loads of extra conversations to be had.

it's a slow/crappy starter, and for the most part the 'main story' is a tiny portion of the game. I (and many people here) spent 10+ hours doing other stuff after the tutorial prologue just exploring and doing side quests without touching the main stuff.

If all the writing in the game bores you, best trade it in or refund it if you can. Probably not your thing.

I think it's all story at this point. It's difficult for me to differentiate what story beats (including side quests) have potential of being good. I was unsure about this game to begin with so it's just a rental. I'm not upset, just wondering if I should force myself to stick with it. It sounds like I shouldn't :)

Grisby

Oh wow, if you're patient enough to play some Jenga with boxes, you can do the Ruzicka station without ever seeing a guard. Love this game.
I've constructed two box forts in order to hack vendors locked doors and sell their own stuff back to them.

I drew their guards outside and into bathrooms before putting a box by the door so they couldn't get back out/in.

Fort Sneaky Hack is go.

Staf

Just finished it. Gameplay wise i thought it was better than HR. Not only is the new augs great but levels where better planned as well and more fun to explore. The side quests we're absolutely awesome, and one is even on par with some of the best Witcher 3 side quest.

I didn't really care about the main plot. I think i didn't care about the plot since, unlike HR, i didn't care about any of the characters. They had no characters akin Malik, Frank that i liked and cared about. The closest is probably the guard Aria which you had a couple of nice moments with. I didn't even care about Jensen since i feel i got all i wanted out of his arc in HR. They should have gone with a new protagonist and interwoven him/her better into the main story.

All in all i liked it but it wasn't the slam dunk i expected it to be coming off HR.

nOoblet16

Dishonoured didn't really feel like Deus Ex to me, it felt more like Thief with a range of engagement options rather than just being limited to stealth. I couldn't talk to NPCs outside of select few, there wasn't really a proper hub area either (don't really consider that hound of ours or whatever to be a Deus Ex like hub), I couldn't really talk my way out of any situation, nor could I find something hidden in environment that could let me tackle the objectives completely but in a way other than what the game tells me. For example, if it asks me to assassinate then that's what I'll have to do, I can't find something that lets me convince that guy into leaving for good, if the game tells me to choose between saving two people that's all the options I get, I can't just ignore the game and go about figuring out something that saves them both anyways.

It also lacked the nuances of Deus Ex like picking up things and doing stuff with them..sometimes to traverse, sometimes to hit enemies and sometimes just to muck about. I guess I found it too abilit/equipment focused for me to consider it closer to Deus Ex 1 than somethibg like Mankind Divided.

There is a place for both.

Fallout 4 is infinitely worse for being voiced for example.
I think Fallout 4's problem is not that it's voiced but rather that the writing itself is bad leading to situations where the character does and says things that the player doesn't really want to (such as the motivation for the main character being trying to find his/her child when the player obviously doesn't feel that way).

The other problem is that the dialogue options are like Mass Effect in that the dialogue choices are not actual dialogues but the general idea behind those dialogues condensed to one or two words, leading to the players not really knowing what the main character is going to say. This is unlike Deus Ex where you can read the whole dialogue that JC/Adam will say if you pick it.

Is that why that keeps happening at the shooting range? It does it to me on Xbox every time I finish it.

I guess I'm gonna have to dump a load of shit next time I try it. I'm curious to see if that's a fix for it.

It does work. You just have to dump every single thing out of your inventory onto the ground, or the crash will persist. You can pick it all back up after you're done in the shooting range after you're done...provided some of it doesn't wig out on you and fall through the floor.

nOoblet16

How amazing would it be if the next game used Mod Tracker music (or recreated that style), in the same way DX1 did.

I still can't get over the music from the original

https://youtu.be/2yDVM77lGlM?t=984

(Amazing video btw, basically all of DX1's music in one video)
Those are amazing but they distinctively sound computerised while the trend these days is for orchestral scores. Michael McCann is pretty dope anyways, overall I like his music more than the original game's.

shiba5

I've constructed two box forts in order to hack vendors locked doors and sell their own stuff back to them.

I drew their guards outside and into bathrooms before putting a box by the door so they couldn't get back out/in.

Fort Sneaky Hack is go.

Fort Kickass

Grisby

It does work. You just have to dump every single thing out of your inventory onto the ground, or the crash will persist. You can pick it all back up after you're done in the shooting range after you're done...provided some of it doesn't wig out on you and fall through the floor.
Nice. Thanks.

Don't know why people are trying to play Deus Ex and Dishonored off of each other. I love both and couldn't be happier we are getting new instalments in both franchises just a couple of months apart. Wish we got more games in the genre and that's why I am excited for Prey next year as well.

Yeah, I remember an interview with Warren Spector where he talked about how they tried to make JC sound as generic as possible so that you could sort of insert in the character you wanted. Sort of like a silent protagonist that's not silent. Even with that I feel like I got more insight into JC then I ever have with Adam.

The intention was admirable but JC's voice has never worked for me because of that. It has the exact same risk of being tonally different to the player intention than just voicing it with emotion.

JC's voice is only good for unintentional comedy.

Glass

EebQiKF.jpgg

This building tho

https://www.reddit.com/r/Deusex/comments/505r0o/i_found_this_in_revilbuildings_it_looks_like/

Deus Ex is an RPG with action and stealth mechanics, Dishonored is a stealth-action game with RPG elements. They're similar, and they're in close enough proximity that I can understand the comparison, but they can't really be judged on the exact same scales.

Jeffrey

Deus Ex is an RPG with action and stealth mechanics, Dishonored is a stealth-action game with RPG elements. They're similar, and they're in close enough proximity that I can understand the comparison, but they can't really be judged on the exact same scales.

Reminds me, I'm gonna try to 'speedrun' this game on NG+ with unlimited energy cheats.

dash your way to victory!

TheYanger

I'm around 15 hours into Mankind Divided. So far, I have two big problems with Mankind Divided.

1. In comparison to the first game, the new cast is dull as dirt. The personality just isn't there. The majority of the new faces are gruff military badasses that look like they'd be right at home in a Call of Duty game. Worse that that though is Jensen himself, who feels like he is sleepwalking through the game. In the first game he had a lot of personal stakes in the plot. Here Jensen often seems just short of shrugging at the madness around him.

2. There aren't that many new augments, and if you're gonna do a stealth playthrough, then most of them are going to be useless to you. Outside of awkwardly tackling race issues, the game is pretty safe to be honest. It feels like a game that should be out 2 years after Human Revolution.

So, you're 15 hours in claiming the new augs don't help stealth. Let me guess: You don't actually have any of them, you just looked and went 'eh' - You're wrong. Remote Hacking is a literal top tier aug. It is so versatile and does SO MANY things. Tesla launcher is the only real stealth awy to take out multiple enemies that aren't standing on top of each other. Icarus Dash is BASICALLY short range teleportation. If you can't understand how that is solid for stealth I don't know what to tell you. In one of the later levels,
GARM
, I basically skipped the entire thing with Icarus Dash
Drill room, use that shortcut, next giant room with the training soldiers? I just dashed from roof to roof and never got spotted.

Hacking computers got boring fast too. Most contained mundane emails like "watch your mail limit". .. great !

I kind of wish we saw more like those in MD. There were some great inner business ones sent between colleagues in HR. I felt like in MD there weren't enough funny or interesting emails to read. There were far too many obscure back-story or run of the mill 'heres a code' ones.

Best addition was the personalised security options and the messenger chat you could use. Absolutely loved those, want to see them back in the next one.

Weird complaints, mostly because they're so provably wrong. HR was FILLED TO THE BRIM with computers. Every single desk in the fucking game had a computer. 90% of these had either literally nothing, or mass emails sent by the owner of the company or whatever, or really pointless short mundane things. Some had cool stuff, but it was a sea of garbage. The very first mission in that game was a giant office building with like 30+ computers to hack and 2/3 of them LITERALLY have nothing on them. This game teaches you to hate hacking random computers and tells you 'you're wasting your time' right off the bat, essentially.

MD, every single computer has at least 1 email that is specific to that computer, and most of them tell interesting backstories about the people using that PC. You find lots of conversations that you can find the other end of eventually and fit the pieces together to see what is going on. Like....this complaint is actually unbelievable to me. The hacked emails being interesting are so far in favor of MD it's not even funny. I could tell you quite a bit about every character in the game purely from those, or even people not in the game.

Has anyone played on "I never Asked For This?" Does the game delete your save when reloading? I get the occasional crash every 8 or so hours of playtime but even a single crash would be soul crushing if you couldn't reload.

For something at the end

Should I not have the kill switch on me if I don't want to kill him but instead incapacitate? Should I drop the kill switch so I don't actually kill him?

My only issue with hacking is that the random nature of the puzzles means that you can get some grossly difficult hacks on supposedly low-level terminals before you pick up a few hacking stealth augs.

Overall, I'm happy with the variety of useful new augs for a ghost playthrough. Remote hacking especially.

level1

So, um, just finished the
fade to black
sidequest. Do we ever find out who the
red stiletto
belongs to and what happened exactly?

JawzPause

I was doing just the main story missions but after I read on here how good the side missions were I decided to check them out, and I'm glad I did. I can't believe the bank mission isn't a main story mission because it's the most fun I've had so far

Yeah, this. I love both, but Dishonored doesn't scratch the RPG itch like Deus Ex does, at all.

I was doing just the main story missions but after I read on here how good the side missions were I decided to check them out, and I'm glad I did. I can't believe the bank mission isn't a main story mission because it's the most fun I've had so far

It can be.

Look for dataslip under the body, fills some gaps

I don't think it answered the question on who was the woman that he fell for though? Or did I miss something?

Should I keep watching the TV until it ends or will it never end at the end of the game? Will it give an achievement if I watch it all?

Jeffrey

Wish the tv's in game were louder, or had subtitles or something. I feel like there is important lore building stuff on there but idk if its my speaker setup, but i can only hear muffles.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
Wish the tv's in game were louder, or had subtitles or something. I feel like there is important lore building stuff on there but idk if its my speaker setup, but i can only hear muffles.

Not really as most of the TVs just keep replaying the same events. On occasion reporting on something that happened plot wise but outside of that nothing too important it seems. Its mostly false propaganda of skewed news.

Think its more your speaker setup than the game. Since honestly I turn off the TVs all the time as they are pretty irritating with how clearly they can be heard...Doesnt help I HATE the way the announcer talks. Esp the whole "I dont know about you..." line.

Ushay

Do not come to this game expecting Dishonor speed run feats.

Story is boring, nothing is really 'exciting'. its basically an old school pc rpg of sorts.

crouch walk around, and hack stuff for 20 hours.
Trust GAF to deconstruct what is a very good game and shit on it from great height.

Its a good game, especially if you like RPGs.

Glass

I fucking knew it! The ending theme song is by Misha Mansoor. Knew his guitar work anywhere. He's the guitarist from Periphery.

It's the perfect ending song, up there with Mass Effect 1' for me (the latter being an existing song already) . Will have to look Misha Mansoor up.

in one of the side quests, jensen says "muslims reject augmentation because of their beliefs"

but i'm not sure that's right... stuff like piercings, tattoos, etc. aren't very benificial, but i can see how some augmentations could be. like arm augmentations for people who lost their own arms. i don't think muslims, nor the islamic faith in general, would really oppose augmentations. after all, it's "just" technology that could make our lives easier (like television, internet, etc.)

just thought i'd talk about it.

Top Bottom