• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Deus Ex: Mankind Divided |OT| We Asked For This

Glass

Now that the dust is settling after release - do people feel this is closer to the design ambitions of the original game? I'm heartened by the comments that Prague is more akin to the non-linear sandboxes of the original. I saw the emphasis on linear missions over hubs as the cardinal sin of Human Revolution.

All the linear missions in HR got really samey for me. All industrial or office type locations which didn't feel distinctive enough. As much as 1 hub isn't ideal, I much prefer how MD does things. The locations outside of Prague are really nice and varied, can picture each of them immediately. In HR any mission outside of the Detroit and Hengsha hub just blur together.

I'm hoping now they have a good handle on this engine, meaning development might be faster, the next game can do what this game does but add that second hub.

Iceternal

All the linear missions in HR got really samey for me. All industrial or office type locations which didn't feel distinctive enough. As much as 1 hub isn't ideal, I much prefer how MD does things. The locations outside of Prague are really nice and varied, can picture each of them immediately. In HR any mission outside of the Detroit and Hengsha hub just blur together.

I'm hoping now they have a good handle on this engine, meaning development might be faster, the next game can do what this game does but add that second hub.

Hacking computers got boring fast too. Most contained mundane emails like "watch your mail limit". .. great !

Blitzhex

Is the game over after
london
or can you go back to prague after this? I want to stash some stuff. I can use my stash in ng+ right?

Glass

Hacking computers got boring fast too. Most contained mundane emails like "watch your mail limit". .. great !

I kind of wish we saw more like those in MD. There were some great inner business ones sent between colleagues in HR. I felt like in MD there weren't enough funny or interesting emails to read. There were far too many obscure back-story or run of the mill 'heres a code' ones.

Best addition was the personalised security options and the messenger chat you could use. Absolutely loved those, want to see them back in the next one.

Kid Ska

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
I really hope they get a patch out today. I'd like to actually be able to finish the game.

x-Lundz-x

Finally got around all the glitches in the game with my saves and was able to progress and finish the game. There is definitely an issue with this Breach software and merchants. Around mission 12 I was unable to sell anymore breach software and the game would just freeze when I tried to do business with the merchant. This was on PS4. Hope it gets fixed soon.

Amazing is the only way to describe it, what a ride. I did a lethal run my first play-though and will probably wait for a few patches and then go for a Non lethal run.

mbpm1

Finished the game yesternight. Great game, the ending wasn't great but not bad either. Did feel like there could have been more for some reason, the locations weren't as distinct as HR outside of Prague. But overall it was expansive.

shiba5

I wonder which dev drew the short straw and had to model the cat turds in the crazy cat lady's apartment? Or maybe they give that to an intern...

I kind of wish we saw more like those in MD. There were some great inner business ones sent between colleagues in HR. I felt like in MD there weren't enough funny or interesting emails to read. There were far too many obscure back-story or run of the mill 'heres a code' ones.

Man I disagree. Love the emails just as much. They really link all of the factions and characters together. Just wish there was a key word search. There are times when I know that I saw earlier emails referencing a character that becomes prominent later like (sidequest spoilers)
Angela Gunn or Czarnobog
but it's a pain scrolling through 200+ of them to find.

I wonder which dev drew the short straw and had to model the cat turds in the crazy cat lady's apartment? Or maybe they give that to an intern...

At first I was pretty sure she was crazy and didn't even own a cat, but then the poop there told me she did in fact have a cat. Environmental storytelling Shiba, 2016 is amazing.

Glass

What do people think is the best addition to the Deus Ex games introduced in MD?

More I think about it the more I love the personalised home secruity stuff, like changing the lighting in that one guys apartment. That and the chat messenging stuff you could only do on a few computers, absolutely loved that they found a new way to use computers (something so central to Deus Ex) and managed to fit choice there too.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
At first I was pretty sure she was crazy and didn't even own a cat, but then the poop there told me she did in fact have a cat. Environmental storytelling Shiba, 2016 is amazing.

Well, she is a bit more than just crazy about cats if you've played the sidequest where she is in. ;)

What do people think is the best addition to the Deus Ex games introduced in MD?

More I think about it the more I love the personalised home secruity stuff, like changing the lighting in that one guys apartment. That and the chat messenging stuff you could only do on a few computers, absolutely loved that they found a new way to use computers (something so central to Deus Ex) and managed to fit choice there too.

Seamless game world. Being able to walk into large locations like the bank without a separate loading screen makes the world feel much more cohesive.

Also really like the mobility animations. Mantling, etc. Makes the act of movement feel so much better than HR. It's not quite Dishonored level but it's a substantial improvement. Along those lines I like that they eliminated the Icarus Fall cutaway 90% of the time. Got old watching the cutscene every time you used it in HR.

Remote hacking is really fun too.

wait, what cat lady are y'all talking about, what side mission? think i missed this.

The Harvester

I love the messaging. Wish there was more of it.

Kaydan

Banned
Well I just started my first playthrough and I gotta say its very easy to get lost in side missions. They are very engaging and well designed!

This game is hard though! I was not ready for this kind of difficulty level. It's very gratifying when you do find a way around your objective though.

mbpm1

So I broke into almost everyone's apartment before doing anything basically. It was kind of funny to come back to them and have them open for story missions and etc

shiba5

well... there aren't that many campaign missions lol.

wait, what cat lady are y'all talking about, what side mission? think i missed this.

Her apartment is on the third floor of Adam's apartment building. When you come back to Prague the second time, you can get a side quest involving a murdered Aug. Crazy cat lady is a witness.

shiba5

The telescope was a nice touch too.

Spoiler re: the side quest:
I guess she's the one killing all the cats too and that's where all the blood in her apartment comes from.

JawzPause

Same problem with HR. The good thing is that you can now tweak the hud to your liking this time around. That's a major plus compared to having the life meter burned into my plasma for a month after playing HR...
Ye I'm glad you can tweak it, all games should aim for minimum to zero hud,it just makes the game look so much better.

One thing I'm kind of finding annoying is when it goes to black whenever you take someone down or when you do any other animation. I guess I'm just used to current gen games being seamless

Sifl

Question about certain main missions, I think in second half of the game:

If I dont pick the
bank heist can I never get into the Versalife vault? I no you can get into the other vaults through the elevator shaft, but not Versalife's correct?

Just started the game but not loving the default controls. Is having LB for a fifth aug shortcut really that necessary or should I switch control schemes?

So, it's just before heading to the bombing site (main mission 5, I think?) and I got the mission to rob the bank from the newspaper guys... am I better off waiting for a while and gathering keycards, or is there not any downside to pillaging the place now?

Jeffrey

Her apartment is on the third floor of Adam's apartment building. When you come back to Prague the second time, you can get a side quest involving a murdered Aug. Crazy cat lady is a witness.

I must have missed the cats part...

Harvester quest was great though. Good scifi noire stuff. The sidestuff is overall more enjoyable than any of the main story stuff imo.

btw: where is that knuckles and knuckles and knuckles box?

shiba5

So, it's just before heading to the bombing site (main mission 5, I think?) and I got the mission to rob the bank from the newspaper guys... am I better off waiting for a while and gathering keycards, or is there not any downside to pillaging the place now?

No downside. I pillaged the hell out of that place.

XaosWolf

This Deus Ex Universe app is making things up.

Was trying to check whether or not I'd killed anyone, but it says my most used weapon is the Machine Pistol with 2 kills.

I have never once used the Machine Pistol. =/

Also 0 hours played...

Jeffrey

Sooo uh, I finished SM06 and later
Eliza decided to help me out, by blowing up a turret and getting all the police wondering around like crazy,
making that section harder lol. Thanks!

Happen to anyone else?

Tovarisc

Sooo uh, I finished SM06 and later
Eliza decided to help me out, by blowing up a turret and getting all the police wondering around like crazy,
making that section harder lol. Thanks!

Happen to anyone else?

Yeah, it's scripted to go down like that.

Ozium

late game and optional item spoilers:

uhh I got the
antidote from the vault
and never used it and searched on google and found out that
I could have used it to save miller but I didn't try talking to him after marchenko called

this game

mbpm1

This Deus Ex Universe app is making things up.

Was trying to check whether or not I'd killed anyone, but it says my most used weapon is the Machine Pistol with 2 kills.

I have never once used the Machine Pistol. =/

Also 0 hours played...

Maybe someone hacked you. What security rating is your app?

jk

Grisby

I wonder if (deus ex the fall spoiker)
Anna and Ben are in this game. Doubt it, but it was neat that Vega mentioned them even only if it was a
slight pass.

Rked

I'm playing the pacifist route. I leveled the hacking with robot when i activate friendly fire and they kill enemies does this ruin the achievement ?

Top Bottom