• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Deus Ex: Mankind Divided |OT| We Asked For This

i've knocked out every single enemy i've come across, don't even have a lethal weapon in my inventory and yet characters are acting like i'm killing everyone. i hope this isn't a glitch.

Replying to an old post from a few pages ago, but I had also seen another poster asking about receiving commentary from the characters about lethal actions despite trying to do a non-lethal playthrough.

For Ruzicka Station, there's an electrical breaker switch placed way up high on the ledge running around the ceiling of the main circular room. Thankfully I quicksaved before throwing it, because activating it turns on a deadly electrical grid way down below at ground level that will nuke some of the guards who wander into that area. The tricky part is that the electrified part is far enough away that you don't hear any sound or indication of what's happening unless you go back and look down into the room.

I'm guessing some of people may have thrown that switch (or similar ones in other parts of the game) and inadvertently killed guards without realizing it, which would lead to the characters commenting on a lethal approach. Always be wary of those breaker switches that start in the off position.

Portugeezer

So when an [X] pops up by a side mission or whatever does that mean I failed it?

I shut down the Neon production before going to the new area as it suggested (I didn't know, I was just exploring Prague) and the "behind out backs" part of the mission got an [X].

olag

Just finished the game(Went with a non-lethal playthrough).
Pros:
-More versatile level design.
-Side-quest writing and design can sometimes be stellar
-Characters are generally well written with the exception of one or two.
-The whole 'augments vs police' is handled a lot more respectfully and is a lot more nuanced than what I expected and for that the writers deserve some props.

Cons:
-Enemies can get a bit grenade happy(Leading to indirect kills which count as your own).
-The main story kinda looses steam at the end of the game.
-They really gave up on the idea of multiple boss fights didn't they.
-The cyberspace/art and design degree coursework level was just unnecessary.
-Why isn't permanent remote deactivation of robots in the game? It would have made non-leathal tactics a more viable option when surrounded by machinery.(I get that this is more of a personal complain than a flaw)
-I pretty much did all the side quests I could find and this game still felt shorter than the first.

Overall I'd give it a solid 7.9/10. Enough to get a recommendation but doesn't leave a lasting impression like its predecessor.

Whelp I just hit a bug where I crash at a loading screen every time at what I assume is like the very last parts of the game. That's immensely frustrating.

-Why isn't permanent remote deactivation of robots in the game? It would have made non-leathal tactics a more viable option when surrounded by machinery.(I get that this is more of a personal complain than a flaw)
probably just balance ... i never used remote hacking my first total stealth/non-lethal playthrough, and finding security terminals was always one of the most pressing tasks I had... my second playthrough I began experimenting with remote hacking and I thought, daaaaaamn this makes certain sections so easy lol even with just the temporary disabling of bots.

i also understood why so many ladders appeared to be missing one side haha that confused me all throughout my first playthrough.

Tovarisc

-They really gave up on the idea of multiple boss fights didn't they.

Is multiple bosses mandatory for game like this in first place? More personal complaint / preference than something that game DX just has to have. There is encounters you could view as bosses, you just can avoid fighting them through dialogue.

Is multiple bosses mandatory for game like this in first place? More personal complaint / preference than something that game DX just has to have. There is encounters you could view as bosses, you just can avoid fighting them through dialogue.
The option would be nice...

Probably my biggest gameplay complaint is the game doesn't have enough great combat scenarios -- both in terms of story and challenge.

In terms of story, I felt constantly restrained because violence almost never made sense -- even DX HR had more scenarios where lethal or alarms at least sort of made sense. DX MD is almost never makes sense. But in DX MD, at least IMO, it almost never makes sense to go lethal and even less to trigger an alarm. DX HR narrative sort of sets up the option but the DX MD narrative mostly encourages (or makes it seem canon/Jensen's default opinion) to be total stealth/non-lethal.

And in terms of gameplay, there just aren't that many cool little combat scenarios... like the one in Utelek City (
the 4 guards at the jail
), small little scenarios or 'set-ups' where you need to execute a perfect little tactical takedown of a few guards or maybe fight 1-3 extra strong targets. In general, for all the game's great new abilities, I felt it never gave me many challenging situations to use them -- or just let loose.

Even on my second playthrough on Give me Deus Ex that's almost done, game feels too easy and I've been starved of challenging fights -- whether it's a special scenario to take out 3-5 guards or a boss fight.

I can see now why the game basically has no heavy weapons... no energy rifle, no rocket launcher, not even a classic plasma gun.

So, more boss fights, as long as they're optional in if or how we approach them, would have be welcomed.

olag

I can sort of see your point. Its probably cause I was such a smooth talker that I managed to talk my way out of the boss-like fights. However compared to the last game which had 3 unique likely designed (Albeit poorly thought-out) main adversaries, in this one you have one alright boss fight with a moderately fleshed out foe which kinda sucks. But I still enjoy the dialogue boss battles though.

Tovarisc

I can sort of see your point. Its probably cause I was such a smooth talker that I managed to talk my way out of the boss-like fights. However compared to the last game which had 3 unique likely designed (Albeit poorly thought-out) main adversaries, in this one you have one alright boss fight with a moderately fleshed out foe which kinda sucks. But I still enjoy the dialogue boss battles though.

Same time HR having all those bosses made sense in context of story, but MD doesn't introduce such characters to you outside of one. Would game felt meatier or better if it did? Maybe, but same time game works as is when it comes to boss fights.

imo

KorrZ

It's funny in retrospect that people were worried this game was going to be short.

20 hours in and I still haven't done the mission to go to Golem city..

Whelp I just hit a bug where I crash at a loading screen every time at what I assume is like the very last parts of the game. That's immensely frustrating.

I assume you're on Mission number
?

That's a common issue, from what I've heard. The game is basically unplayable (for completion) for some people.

It's funny in retrospect that people were worried this game was going to be short.

Indeed. I went to Golem City after 25 hours.

Zomba13

In the subway when going to a different part of the city late in the game? Yeah, I've hit that too. Sooooooooooooooo annoying. Only one crash prior to that and it was just straight random out of the blue and never happened again but now I can't go back to Adam's apartment area of the map to finish off a side quest (which I think is one of the last ones). I think I could continue with the current story mission from where I am now but I dunno, and I don't know if I'd get the same issue if I have to load somewhere else.

vonStirlitz

Unconfirmed Member
[Redacted as the member no longer wishes to be associated with this website, and the reputational damage and distress caused by association with this website. In addition, the user considers that the action of the management, and the nature of the site and members of its community, renders the original terms and conditions of this site void, and it unconscionable for either side to be bound to them. The user reasserts their IP rights in all content and does not give any authority for its continued usage on this website. Despite requesting that the user's account be deleted, in accordance with data protection rules which apply to this website over multiple jurisdictions, the admin team have failed to delete this account, requiring the user to take its own steps to ensure the valid deletion of data.]

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
Have a weird glitch where I'm stuck walking VERY slowly. Wtf? How do I fix it?

Lol nvm I had hit caps lock at one point.

TheYanger

I can't get into this game. It just seems so slow and boring.

I spend myself walking around limited hubs, with nothing to do. They don't feel like toy boxes with distractions, but just turgid spaces that I have to walk through just to get to the next mission.

And, when that mission comes, it involves intolerable and long cutscenes with characters seemingly made of plastic.

The game design and animation just seems so mid 2000s.

Am I missing something? Does it get better?

You're missing something.

Have a weird glitch where I'm stuck walking VERY slowly. Wtf? How do I fix it?

Maybe both your legs got crippled :) I miss the location specific health :(

It's about 20 hours for the core story, I think...

My second playthrough, I'm playing as 'canon' as possible... so almost no side quests unless I feel they genuinely make sense to the main story, no exploration unless Jensen has a believable story (and character) reason for actually going there, non-lethal and stealth where it makes sense, et cetera. And it should be about 20-22 hours I think.

Had I skipped the few side missions I did do, and went more lethal, probably could do the main missions in 15 hours at a fair (not hasty) pace.

But my first playthrough, exploring like crazy (and still missing a few side missions) took me 38 hours haha. The city is crazy dense with content and little nooks and crannies to explore.

I assume you're on Mission number
?

That's a common issue, from what I've heard. The game is basically unplayable (for completion) for some people.

Indeed. I went to Golem City after 25 hours.

In the subway when going to a different part of the city late in the game? Yeah, I've hit that too. Sooooooooooooooo annoying. Only one crash prior to that and it was just straight random out of the blue and never happened again but now I can't go back to Adam's apartment area of the map to finish off a side quest (which I think is one of the last ones). I think I could continue with the current story mission from where I am now but I dunno, and I don't know if I'd get the same issue if I have to load somewhere else.

Yup supposedly they have a fix that should get pushed out this week. This is my first time ever having a real showstopper bug. Occasionally I've gotten stuff I have to roll back an hour or two, but I get the impression this might be a consequence of something early in the game. I haven't super hot on this game to begin with, but this might kill my motivation to finish if the patch takes more than one or two days to come out.

usp84

Is there a way to stealthily neutralize the big guys in suits?

EDIT Apparently shooting them with the stun gun and then pressing O neutrilizes them

Zomba13

Pretty sure with the Fade to Black quest (full quest spoilers, obvs)
It was someone from the Dvali that killed him. You speak with the husband and he says how he shot him (could be a bluff because when you go down that conversation path he tries to kill you), the wife wanted out and went to Vince to get out (he had the ticket and was going to give it to her if she gave information about the smuggling), Vince is said to have been in on the smuggling and used his interpol connections to help out there. I think the wife and Vince had something more going on and the husband was jealous and had Vince killed, which is why one of her shoes was in him and why the husband sent goons after her. Can't remember exactly what the pocket secretary said but wasn't it along the lines of "we know how much you liked her so here is one of her shoes because you liked it so much".

Remmy2112

Is there a way to stealthily neutralize the big guys in suits?

EDIT Apparently shooting them with the stun gun and then pressing O neutrilizes them

Any EMP round to them then a take down also works. I pop them with an EMP pistol round then take them down.

psychotron

Did you guys help
Samizdat
? I could have persuaded him to just back off, but sticking it to
Picus
seems like a good guy route.

Furyous

Just finished the Dubai mission and have a couple questions:

If someone saw me during the
gunfight during the sandstorm, does it count against Pacifist/Foxiest of Hounds?

What's the difference between the
concede and goad options in the convo with Sariff?

How can I turn off autosave?

malfcn

Lifted from eBay, but the figure that came in the Loot Gaming box this month is awesome.

s-l1600.jpg

Godcannon

Got a late start to DXMD, and loving it so far, but my God what is up with the graphics and framerate(ps4)? Did I miss something? Oh Look...there's A nice high definition jacket.....on a PS3 looking humanoid...? with....MS paint hair..? UGH! And the framerate goes from 60 to 20 randomly.

Super excited to continue the story, but C'Mon, what's going on here..... A little disappointed by that.

What is wrong with me, GAF? I'm playing this on PS4 and I cannot shake this feeling that it....looks a little shitty? I can't pinpoint it, but the bright open areas have lots of fog, there are harsh square angles on everything, and at times everything looks flat like it's not taking the light in the correct way. All of that coupled with janky lip synching and stilted character movements during conversations that sometimes feel like they drone on in weird broken English (which I normally love) on top of subpar line delivery makes me stop and think what the hell happened to the polish and glorious set dressing that I loved to death in Human Revolution? It's almost like games have lapped the production values in games like this since HR. Hell, even Hitman seems to have more polish than what I'm seeing here (on PS4 at least).

The soundtrack is still creamy beautiful deep raining tones though. At this point I feel like the music is carrying 90% of the aesthetics.

Call me crazy. I see screen shots in this thread and think they look beautiful, but when I'm playing it myself it seems off.

fritzo

You get a code in the box, you link the game to your square account and then download it from the site, along with the art samples or whatever.

I got the digital version from PSN tho. How do I get the PS4 theme? I got everything else from email from Square.

GRAPHICS
Game looks good.
Damn is Utulek awesome... Best game city since Hengsha, for me.

Also, Los Santos and Novigrad are still amazing relative to the content in their respective games (meaning they have a lot of other stuff, too)...

But I think Prague has got to be the new king for being a single city example of content density and exploration content quantity.

CHC

Wow getting around during
martial law
is a PAIN IN THE ASS.

Do things go
back to normal? It's extremely difficult trying to do the sidequests right now

Top Bottom